• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Spooky pony

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spooky pony

First time posting but long time lurker... we bought a pony for our 9 year old. The pony is 8 and is a saint - until he is not. He spooks at seemingly nothing and then his world falls apart. He is not like any other horse who spooks and gets over it. He remembers it for weeks and it takes a lot of work to desensitize him again. When he spooks he does whatever he can to get away. It is a genuine fear response. Everything else is in order.. saddle fits, HEALTHY, feet all good etc.

He has trouble with things moving around him like taking off a jacket while mounted, or another horse centering near him, some invisible monsters. Yet he will pick up and play with things that are not being moved by humans such as tarps, brooms, lead ropes or anything you accidentally leave within reach.

Totally babysitter type pony and really lazy normally. These spooks happen every 2 to 3 months and set us back a lot. Daughter of course LOVES her pony and I can't bear the thought of moving him on unless we try everything to help him first.

She has fallen off once when he bolted.

What are some things we can try?

Have a qualified vet check his eyes.
    "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

I've been watching Elisa Wallace's videos on training her current mustang for the 2018 Mustang Challenge. They are chronicling almost daily training sessions and a lot of it is based on getting him acclimated to darn near everything. I've learned a lot from them. Give them a try. Good luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
        Have a qualified vet check his eyes.
        Yup did that on the PPE. Checked out fine.

Comment

Check pony's diet- is he getting more grain than he needs? Does he have any nutritional gaps such as low vit E, magnesium or Se? I would first address his diet, then enlist the help of a professional for some regular training- personally I would send pony out for 30-60 days and then work with training on regular set schedule thereafter. This horse needs consistent work with someone that he can't bully. Not sure if a 9 yr old is a good choice for this horse.

Otherwise you can take your pick from training dvds but I've never found that to be has helpful as real training where you can see and be a part of it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TWH Girl View Post
            Check pony's diet- is he getting more grain than he needs? Does he have any nutritional gaps such as low vit E, magnesium or Se? I would first address his diet, then enlist the help of a professional for some regular training- personally I would send pony out for 30-60 days and then work with training on regular set schedule thereafter. This horse needs consistent work with someone that he can't bully. Not sure if a 9 yr old is a good choice for this horse.

Otherwise you can take your pick from training dvds but I've never found that to be has helpful as real training where you can see and be a part of it.
            I'm not sure if he is the right one either but at i have to try a few things before giving up and breaking a little girls heart.

He is only getting hay and a mineral vitamin supplement. We are working with a trainer and I ride him also. He is lunged before every ride and is amazing 90% of the time but when he spooks ge checks out and it takes a long time to get him back.

Comment

I had a wonderful holstriner mare that was as near perfect until something spooked her. Maybe once a year or so....I learned to dismount asap because her brain would just go away. Never got over it and she was a pretty good show horse and never did spook at a show but once it started, she was really out of control. Did every test and calming supplement imaginable

good luck with the pony. Wish I knew a solution!

Comment

Could you have his magnesium levels checked? Sometimes low magnesium can cause spookiness. I wouldn't add a magnesium supplement without testing him, but might be worth a shot if you have ruled out other physical issues. Good luck!

Comment

Cowboy-ish? or trainer that specializes in re-training/building up horse's confidence & obedience so they're not spooky or overly reactive. Especially because he doesn't get over it quickly and has been a recurring issue.

I'd be concerned about lungeing before every ride also. Makes me think pony is not really that saintly or suitable, even without the spook issue. I would want pony trained so I did not have to lunge all the time.

Also look into the usual go-tos: no grain, more turn out, ear plugs, magnesium supplements, another check for pain/discomfort, ulcers, etc.

Comment

I treated my spooky pony mare for ulcers and had a different pony after one month of omeprazole- she’s now the quietest and easiest handle animal in the barn. She was not girthy or obviously sensitive but we decided to give it a try and my only regret was not doing it much sooner.

Comment

Instead if desensitization , which teaches them not to spook. You want to use Spooky Object Training which teaches them that when they do get a fright the reaction is to stand still.
                      It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Pocketpony View Post

I'm not sure if he is the right one either but at i have to try a few things before giving up and breaking a little girls heart.

He is only getting hay and a mineral vitamin supplement. We are working with a trainer and I ride him also. He is lunged before every ride and is amazing 90% of the time but when he spooks ge checks out and it takes a long time to get him back.
                        My former horse who passed away was kind of like this- he would lose it- and he didn't come back until he was good and ready which was usually a while.

I would try some magnesium without any further testing to see if it helps- min of 5000 mg but closer to 10,000 would be better, then if it works, you can back off and see what is the best dose. You may also try "treating" stomach issues to see if that improves his behavior. Adding U Guard or G.U.T to see if they make a difference or a few days of Ulcerguard.

Other than that, this may very well just be the horse's personality and you'll have to decide if that's a good match for a 9 yr old. Being that horse has the propensity to be explosive on occasion, I'd say an older more intermediate rider would be a better match.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by SuzieQNutter View Post
                          Instead if desensitization , which teaches them not to spook. You want to use Spooky Object Training which teaches them that when they do get a fright the reaction is to stand still.
                          Can you give me an example of what to try? Pony spooked and bolted when my daughter put her rain jacket on while mounted. I was holding on to him but he dragged me across the ring.

Comment

Can you give me an example of what to try? Pony spooked and bolted when my daughter put her rain jacket on while mounted. I was holding on to him but he dragged me across the ring.
                            It is done on the ground. It was taught to me by John Chatterton 30 years ago. Every horse gets that training now and I am happy to give examples of situations where I am still alive on several horses that are tbs.

First the horse is taught to face up. Next it is taught to stand still. 3rd it is taught to be touched all over.

I cant remember which step it is, but facing up teaches the horse that you are safe and gives it confidence in you.

Where it differs from desensitization is with desensitization,you give it a fright with a lunge whip with a bottle with a plastic bag on it. In a round yard. Desensitization you don't drop the whip until it stops moving. So you have trainers with scared, terrified, shaking horses who won't take the pressure off and you end up with horses who turn off. In the end you could put a lion in the ring and the horse won't react. These are the professional trainers who say the stupidest thing I have ever heard that horses cannot tell one person from another.

Then a month after the new owner has had the horse who has not spooked at anything, who they treat with kindness and have shaken out the saddle blanket every day before putting it on with no problem. The horse switches back on, they shake the saddle blanket, the horse sees it for the first time and pulls back and takes off with the owner saying he has never done that before.

Spooky object training in a small yard. Apply the pressure with a lunge whip with little rocks in a plastic bottle you can rattle. Let the horse go on a long lead. Drop the pressure. They stop. You call them to you as taught with facing up. They stand still and you praise with stroking, no patting, saying good boy or good girl. Until they don't bother to go.

The next day they start off with the same flight response but get better quicker.

John Chatterton has himself on a horse on the front of DVD riding with an umbrella put up.

Comment

Agree with Suzie. Also, spend the $25 and subscribe to Warwick Schiller's website (he is currently at WEG competing for Australia). He has a lot of good information on there. You need to desensitize and then do spooky obstacle training - the crazier the better.

Moving can be a great big deal for a horse. I had kids and always got them "kid safe" mounts. They were all a bit nervous and spooky when we got them home. I don't think I was lied to, I think it's just the nature of the horse.

The desensitizing helps them stay in control when things make noises and move around etc. They learn to stand still and learn that most things are not going to hurt, so they get tolerant. Then you take that response and move on to more challenging spooky objects, like putting on a rain coat.
                              "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."

Comment

• Original Poster

When he spooks, I use whatever the source was, like a rain jacket, and pet him all over with it until he stops reacting. I then stop and praise him. I'll repeat it on the other side over and over until it is no big deal. Did that yesterday and his knees almost buckled from fear

Comment

What are his bloodlines and breeding? Is he getting a lot of turnout? What did he do prior? I am big into young ponies...these answers might explain some stuff.

Comment

When he spooks, I use whatever the source was, like a rain jacket, and pet him all over with it until he stops reacting. I then stop and praise him. I'll repeat it on the other side over and over until it is no big deal. Did that yesterday and his knees almost buckled from fear
                                    I find the more fearful they are the better they learn the lesson.

Same as I said above. Don't pet him with the coat. Put him in a smallish yard on a long lead after being taught to face up, stand still, what good boy means and that stroking is a good thing. Leading correctly with not following your feet and other things that John Chatterton says. Stand in front holding the arm of the jacket. Pick it up and swing it towards him.

He takes off. You have the long lead and the fence keeping him from going. The moment he goes you drop the jacket and call him back to you. Then spend at least a minute or 3 stroking, saying good boy and whatever you want to talk about with him.

Rinse and repeat.

This will come down to timing. With the correct timing. He will learn to stand while you throw the coat over him.

Use the incorrect timing and you will teach him never to go near a coat again.

Can you rug him? You would think a rug would be scarier than a coat and trillions of horses have been rugged in their life time without caring.
                                    Last edited by SuzieQNutter; Sep. 11, 2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

OP, is he getting grass hay or alfalfa hay? Usually with spooking, I address: 1) feed, 2) pain, 3) training/behavior. When was your PPE? Did they do flexion tests? It wouldn't hurt to have an evaluation with your vet and also address appropriate feed for him and if magnesium or other supplementation would help. Honestly, I'd send him off for 60 days desensitizing myself but that's me. He needs 5-6 days consistent work and if you can't do that, it's not going to make much impact.

Comment

First time posting but long time lurker... we bought a pony for our 9 year old. The pony is 8 and is a saint - until he is not. He spooks at seemingly nothing and then his world falls apart. He is not like any other horse who spooks and gets over it. He remembers it for weeks and it takes a lot of work to desensitize him again. When he spooks he does whatever he can to get away. It is a genuine fear response. Everything else is in order.. saddle fits, HEALTHY, feet all good etc.

He has trouble with things moving around him like taking off a jacket while mounted, or another horse centering near him, some invisible monsters. Yet he will pick up and play with things that are not being moved by humans such as tarps, brooms, lead ropes or anything you accidentally leave within reach.

Totally babysitter type pony and really lazy normally. These spooks happen every 2 to 3 months and set us back a lot. Daughter of course LOVES her pony and I can't bear the thought of moving him on unless we try everything to help him first.

She has fallen off once when he bolted.

What are some things we can try?
                                        In your post on the other forum, you stated he has spooked TWICE in the 2 months since you have owned him (and not at all in the prior winter months that you leased him).

Twice in 2 months isn't super concerning to me, but of course, none would be ideal. Horses are fight-or-flight animals. You will not prevent them from spooking 100% of the time, no matter how bombproof the horse.

It seems like the two instances just really caught him off guard for whatever reason 1) horse galloping up behind him 2) daughter putting on rain jacket.

As other posters have mentioned, and as I said on your other thread, is that you need to be proactive with desensitizing. Work with him every day (not just after he has a spook -- his brain is already fried after a spook).

You said your daughter is taking lessons. Have you asked our trainer for help?
                                        It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

Working...
                                        X