Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

BHCH10
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Best routes for trailering from MA to West Chester PA?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best routes for trailering from MA to West Chester PA?

Hi, if some stars align I will have to haul a trailer down to PA (West Chester & Reading area) and back. Does anyone have any advice for better routes hauling a horse trailer? When I drive my car I go over the GW bridge but I can't imagine doing that with a horse, plus there are all those awful parkways which I can't bring a trailer on anyway.

What routes do people recommend to make this process as painless as possible for horse and driver?

Where in MA? It is a long state.

My preference is to stay away from NYC using I-78/80, I-287, I-87, I-84/90 depending on where you are going.

Chester Count/Philly to Suffolk Downs near Boston, leaving early to avoid traffic, was 5 hrs by car (no horse trailer).
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

• Original Poster

Sorry, if we start the route from the Sturbridge (MA Pike/ 84 exit) that would be the best. I'm near route 128/95 but that makes no sense.

I do this drive regularly in a car. I'm not asking about car routes, but horse trailer routes. Big difference. With a car, I go over the GW Bridge and over parkways, which is not doable with a horse trailer. And ALWAYS get stuck in Waterbury in stop and go traffic for 30 minutes.

Comment

Well, it would be two choices with a little variation - I never go over the GW in car or truck.
        Option 1 would be to go over the Tappan Zee to the highway that is beyond the exit to the garden state pkway - is it the PA turnpike? sorry, cant remember - rt 287
        Or continue on 84 as you exit CT and not go south to the Tappan Zee and instead go through Newburgh and hit 87 to 287, but tht is much longer
        www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

What dotneko said. Most people I know who are hauling that route will take the TZB. And the new bridge is quite pretty!

GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL!

Comment

• Original Poster

Great to know. Google suggests 287 as well but it is assuming I'm driving a car so your feedback is very helpful.

Comment

THe mid Hudson bridge is great. TAppanzee has delays/backups on the roads leading to it.

Comment

No helpful suggestions for the drive but wishing you all the best!

Comment

I went over the TZB last Wednesday at about 2 pm. Going east, there was no traffic and it looked pretty good going west toward me. The TZB traffic is bad during rush hour, especially going east in the morning and west in the afternoon. The more northerly crossings are narrower bridges and you will hit more hills, if I remember correctly. So it all depends on many factors including your truck. Oh - I think that the TZB is much more expensive than the other crossings. IF that matters (after hopefully buying a horse, those pennies just vanish into the total).

Comment

Yes, I have driven the route I described at least a dozen times in the past two years. I have never hit traffic on the approaches to the TZB in either direction. 84 in CT is usually the problem - we always stop at the Blue Colony at exit 10 for a 'just in case' pit stop (and perhaps some Challah bread)
                    www.settlementfarm.us

Comment

No comments on the specific route, but fingers crossed on the stars aligning. Do you have someone willing to tag along if it's a long haul for you?

Comment

• Original Poster

Update: if all goes well I'm going to pay the $$ to ship him up. It will save my sanity and be more comfortable for the horse. Thanks.

Comment

Dot - how about Rein's NY Style Deli in Vernon, CT, Exit 65 on 84? IMHO the BEST rugalah, and a great pastrami Reuben (yeah, not kosher, but still!).

Comment

And scruffy - I think that is the BEST idea!

Comment

Working...
                            X