• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hurricane Florence—info, resources, etc.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebecca, I'm praying for you and your DH and pony - please do the same for us! I had a word with my beasties as well and made them promise not to spazz any more than they could help.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I'm praying for all you guys and your critters. Please stay safe and give yourselves time to evacuate if you think you should!

I'm northwest of Tryon and the forecast keeps changing on out rain amounts. One place says 8+, the other 2 to 3. I know we've had quite a bit of rain lately and it's not going to take much for flooding and wind to bring trees down.

Polk county, Tryon, and that area had serious mudslides earlier this spring and surely don't need that much rain again.

Comment

Wren-People think because the forecasts are sometimes less of a storm than predicted, or nothing bad happened before, that nothing will happen now. I think they just get used to hurricane and other bad weather warnings, and figure things will be fine.

That was a part of the issue with Katrina. Something like 90% of the people at the Superdome drove there. The parking garage was full of cars. People could have left, but they didn't thinking things will be OK, and some thought it was all exaggerated. People get so used to over the top forecasts, and they start to ignore them.
        Last edited by JanM; Sep. 11, 2018, 10:20 PM.
        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Originally posted by Libby2563 View Post

I was just thinking about that too!! What a nightmare. Do you remember how it felt leaving F and A at the barn after all, thinking we might never see them again?

Jingles for all in the path of this storm.
          Yes, yes I do!!! I was thinking about that when I left my F today. I'm debating leaving him out (3-board fencing, solid run-in he shares, he's marked, he'd rather be out than in) and bringing him in (extremely solid barn, but I worry about the tiles in the wind that I know have fallen IN HIS STALL in the past (since fixed, not sure I want to test it), he can get stressed in a stall, even though he was raised in a stall).

I remember going through another hurricane in Houston with A. They converted the three grooming stalls to standing stalls and A was in one. I remember going out in the middle of the night, with horizonal wind to check on the horses. They must be freaking out! All were quietly munching hay or snoozing.

It's only Tuesday and most service stations are out of gas. Meeeeeeemoriiiiieeeeessss......

RMJacobs, I will be thinking of you and your pony. STAY SAFE! And I wish you both the best of luck. My guy hates being inside, too, (I'll likely leave him out) but everything is better if he has alfalfa in front of him. Does your pony have similar "crack" that will help make being inside better?
          Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Pasture space and beds in Buffalo NY for anyone willing to come up this far. We got hot tape and stakes if we need them. This sounds terrible for those involved.

Comment

Originally posted by RMJacobs View Post
              pAin't_Misbehavin', I really struggled last night when I was at the barn, thinking about whether my pony should go in or stay out. I am sticking with my decision to have him in the barn. He has never been in a hurricane as far as I know, and I'm afraid he would panic and hurt himself badly, or get hit by debris. Also, though the pasture there isn't likely to flood too deep, still, he's short. I would never forgive myself if he drowned in his pasture. He might still panic in a stall, but would have less opportunity of hurting himself. The barn is block halfway up, and I think the chance of it being damaged enough to endanger him is less than the chance of him being injured outside. I must confess, I cried on him a little last night. I hope he will be OK, and all the humans and animals there as well.

I'm not too worried for us, at least if the track stays north of us. We are 4-5 miles inland and we are 35 feet above sea level. We are not in an evacuation zone. We are about as prepared as we can be. I did underestimate how quickly gas lines would form (I'll know better next time), but actually was able to pull right up to the pump at a gas station coming back from the barn last night, and my husband went out early this morning to the same place I used last night, and had the same experience. We knew we had quite a bit of gas in the boat tanks that we could have used if we hadn't been able to get gas, but now both cars and the boat tanks are full. Propane canisters are topped up.

Best of luck to everyone in the path of the storm!

Rebecca
              I'd be putting shavings in a bdm, bathroom, laundry rm, etc, and bringing him in to the house...

Comment

I left home in Wilmington yesterday to stay with family in Virginia. Many/most people I know are staying. I live about seven miles from the ocean.

No horses, but I have a dog and a ferret. I was at my exotic animal vet yesterday morning, and there was a lot of discussion among the people there and people were calling in. None of the shelters and no hotels accept exotic pets, so many people with ferrets, birds, reptiles, etc. who do not have family or friends who can accommodate them are staying and won’t be able to go to the shelters if she hits Wilmington.

Wilmington is not a very horsey area (still need to update my location from the move four years ago...) but there were lots of empty trailers heading east along I-40 yesterday. My guess was that these were people heading in to bring horses out.
                <><

Comment

I just posted that the Virginia Horse Center is an evacuation site

FMI.....
                  https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...e#post10226365
                  Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                  Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

pAin't_Misbehavin', I'll be thinking of you, too! Best of luck.

jetsmom, pony is boarded another 15+ miles further inland than where I live, and the barn is safer than my house or the BO's house. I deliberately chose an inland location for him.

Hating the changes in the storm track this morning, but they started improving some from my personal perspective as the day went on. It sucks that no matter what, it looks like somebody is going to be slammed with this thing. I wish it would just stay out to sea, but that doesn't look at all likely.

Rebecca

Comment

Oh, my goodness--my neighbor just came to the door and asked if we wanted to use a generator for the duration. Heck, yes! I've been trying to persuade my husband that we need one for years, and I was afraid we would really pay the price for not having one this time. My neighbor decided to leave at the last minute, and generously offered the generator for us to use since they wouldn't need it. They had already offered to keep us supplied with coffee during any power outage, but this is even better.

People are amazingly nice sometimes.

Rebecca

Comment

Oh, my goodness--my neighbor just came to the door and asked if we wanted to use a generator for the duration. Heck, yes! I've been trying to persuade my husband that we need one for years, and I was afraid we would really pay the price for not having one this time. My neighbor decided to leave at the last minute, and generously offered the generator for us to use since they wouldn't need it. They had already offered to keep us supplied with coffee during any power outage, but this is even better.

People are amazingly nice sometimes.

Rebecca
                        Buy yourselves a generator. You will never regret it!

Signed,

The Woman with Two Generators and No Regrets
                        "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

cutter99, I'm hoping having a generator to use will persuade my husband. If that doesn't work, would you call him?

Rebecca

Comment

cutter99, I'm hoping having a generator to use will persuade my husband. If that doesn't work, would you call him?

Rebecca
                            I can Rebecca! We learned after getting slammed by both Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee. We were without power 8 days after the first storm and 10 plus days after the second. We were on a well at the time, so watering our horses and about 75-100 pigs was a major effort. Flushing the toilet became a rare privilege!

We bought the first generator to power the well pump and the house, and the second for our LQ horse trailer. I can tell you that we have not experienced any time of long term power outages since buying the generators 5 years ago!
                            "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

I was without power for 55 hours after Hurricane Ivan in 2004, and I would have killed to have a generator power the AC, and water heater. Since I was in town, I still had phone (a regular landline, internet phone would have been out). You don't know how cold the water out of the tap is even in lower Alabama in early September.

Comment

Originally posted by JanM View Post
                                I was without power for 55 hours after Hurricane Ivan in 2004, and I would have killed to have a generator power the AC, and water heater. Since I was in town, I still had phone (a regular landline, internet phone would have been out). You don't know how cold the water out of the tap is even in lower Alabama in early September.
                                I was without power for a month after Katrina. Got a generator a few days after, but could only run some lights and my well. And my well water was cold! I learned to take showers in the late afternoon, because by then, the water in the hot water heater in the attic got warm just from the temperature of the attic! Turned on just the hot water tap, and it was a pretty nice temp. Once, it got hot enough that I had to turn on the cold to cool it down!

Now I have a whole-house generator, and it's the best thing ever! Got one big enough to run everything, including AC or heat (which came in handy two weeks after installation, when we had actual snow that knocked out the power)

Comment

On the hot water topic there was one storm that knocked out power but I was dying for a bath so I boiled water and carried it up to the bathroom. I got a few inches or reasonably hot water in total, washed off and got out. Then I turned the water on to rinse the tub out and out come hot water! I had forgotten we had a gas hot water heater
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

We are well out of the path of the storm. Expecting only nor’easter-type conditions. But we’ve—like the rest of the east coast—had so much rain this year that trees on power lines is quite possible.

I bought a generator a couple of days ago. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time when our local Tractor Supply got in a shipment (all 108 sold that afternoon). My mother lives with me and is dependent on electricity for medical equipment. Through blizzards and hurricanes, I’m tired of worrying about the electricity. With the help of family and friends we got it all set up and running. I can’t tell you how much better I feel having it.

I wish all of you in the path of the storm the very best. I am praying for everyone affected.
                                    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Comment

Make sure you know the difference between candles and dynamite...
                                      "They'll be no butter in hell."

Comment

So our generator benefactors got down to Jacksonville, decided it was silly to leave, and came all the way back. They got back to the neighborhood at 5:30 this morning. We of course returned their generator. Easy come, easy go.

One thing that really makes me happy at this point is that I'm on town water. Power outages at our horse property were miserable due to not having water. I thought if anything could persuade my husband to buy a freaking generator, that would do it. Nope. But during Matthew two years ago, even though power was out for four days, water continued to flow here according to my neighbors.

The storm continues to be downgraded, and the track is pretty firmly to the north of us. I think we will be just fine.

Rebecca

Comment

Jim Cantore has moved from Wilmington to Wrightsville Beach. And the other reporters on the Weather Channel are standing on docks, or decks right next to heaving water, with high winds, and no life jackets. Meanwhile the reporters are telling people not to do dangerous things.

Comment

Working...
                                          X