• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

discussion of pay forbidden

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by McGurk View Post

The question about previous compensation is illegal in certain, but not all states:

https://www.bna.com/ask-salary-history-n73014470106/

Asking this question in the recruiting process is the sign off a lazy or ineffective HR department. Your offer should be based on market data, not on your salary history. If the organization isn't participating in one of the major comp surveys, the data on Glassdoor.com and Salary.com is reasonably accurate.

If you're talking to a recruiter and they ask this question, the correct response is "My target is between $xx and $yyy, depending on the total benefits package. Is this job within that range?"

If they ask again, a possible answer is "What I was paid at XYZ company isn't relevant to the skills and experience I could bring to this position. Why don't we talk about what I can bring to the table?"
    I like the way you put it!!!
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

When all else fails.....read the law.....or a DOL summary

https://www.dol.gov/wb/media/pay_secrecy.pdf

The NJ Statue.....along with those of a few other states are here.

New Jersey:

Title 10. Civil Rights

Sec. 10:5-12. Unlawful employment practices, discrimination.

11. It shall be an unlawful employment practice, or, as the case may be, an unlawful discrimination:
      r. For any employer to take reprisals against any employee for requesting from any other employee or former employee of the employer information regarding the job title, occupational category, and rate of compensation, including benefits, of any employee or former employee of the employer, or the gender, race, ethnicity, military status, or national origin of any employee or former employee of the employer, regardless of whether the request was responded to, if the purpose of the request for the information was to assist in investigating the possibility of the occurrence of, or in taking of legal action regarding, potential discriminatory treatment concerning pay, compensation, bonuses, other compensation, or benefits. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to require an employee to disclose such information about the employee herself to any other employee or former employee of the employer or to any authorized representative of the other employee or former employee.
      Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
      Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

lmao

Yanno, there's something about certain tennets of "professionalism" that really are just a way to sweep illegal or unethical things under the rug. I once had a job where I was a salaried barn manager being paid the equivalent of $3.00/hour at a facility that took $$ out of my paycheck for an included apartment space that was a) a shared living space and b) not even really used by me. And then, despite having been assured of a place to keep my horse at the time, the lady that I worked for decided that I needed to pay board because it was "fair to the other staff," nvm that I was a salaried employee and that the other staff were hourly riding instructors. Totally different scenario.

Super long story on why I didn't bounce immediately, but to cut it short, after I left, I started talking with the hired stable workers that were paid a salary for a scheduled amount of days they did chores (which was... half of what I made, but on a part time schedule). They had NO IDEA that an apartment that was shared by all staff was part of how their total pay was factored in, and they had NO IDEA that I, as a full-time salaried barn manager, was being criminally underpaid in addition to having to pay board on my horse. The insult to injury on that one was, after I left, the barn owner's best friend came back into the picture and the "staff" apartment became off-limits to staff, with absolutely no change in pay.

And I won't even get into the fiasco that was the sick days and vacation leave.

But, uh, yeah. Being able to be transparent about your salary is important imo (even if you choose not to talk about it, it's still YOUR choice, ultimately), and being expressly forbidden to talk about these things for fear of losing your job is a big fat red flag imo. I've also worked in several corporate fields that did this, and later found out that there was all kinds of arbitrary choices and discrimination going into how much some people got paid (or not paid.) -shrugs-

As an aside, are there any kinds of unions that horse people/stable works can join?

Comment

The problem with comparing salaries is that it is based upon the assumption that any two people do a specific job equally as well and therefore should be compensated the same. That assumption is false. If you hire two people at the same time, who have the same qualifications and the same amount experience, one of those people will be superior to the other. That is just the way it is. The person with the superior performance should be paid more.

The problem with comparisons is that it will always leave both parties unhappy. The weaker performer never sees themselves as the weaker performer and gets mad because they aren't paid as much. The stronger performer ends up unhappy because they know they are better at the job and thinks they should be paid even more. It is human nature.

I have always told people that as you move up in management responsibilities the hardest thing to deal with is knowing what everyone else makes.
          A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

"As an aside, are there any kinds of unions that horse people/stable works can join?"
            ..... Well, there is CoTH...

Honestly, it doesn't surprise me in the least, your story about the fees for the shared apartment and being charged board after you're already working there. Shady employers continue to try to pull these kind of things and unless folks talk about it and others can comment, (g) you never knows how unscrupulous (never mind illegal) it is.

Comment

I will the "alternative voice" here.

There are at least 2, maybe 3, topics being discussed in this thread:
              1.) The legality (or not) of discussing compensation among workers;
              2.) Employers retaliating against employees who discuss their salary;
              3.) The actual pay received by employees.

For Items 1 & 2, there are state laws that govern the topic. If you have been fired because you discussed your salary, your state's Dept. of Labor will provide some guidance on recourses available. If you feel so aggrieved, go for it...hire a lawyer....take your employer to court....have fun.

As far as Item #3, when people get a job, there is usually a discussion about pay. If you complain about what you are (or are not) being paid, did you not know what your pay was going to be?

If the employer unilaterally changes the pay after you have been hired, then there is the option of walking out the door and let the employer deal with the horses.

As a female engineer 40 from years ago when it was typical for women to be paid less than men, I had a boss who advised me to "shop my resume" every 2-3 years to make sure I was getting market rates. The same applies to barn work. The door swings both ways.....
              Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
              Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

Originally posted by pluvinel View Post
                I will the "alternative voice" here.

As a female engineer 40 from years ago when it was typical for women to be paid less than men, I had a boss who advised me to "shop my resume" every 2-3 years to make sure I was getting market rates. The same applies to barn work. The door swings both ways.....
                I worked for a Fortune 500 tech company right out of college. The advice was to shop around on occasion and when you got an offer to come back and use it for leverage. The joke was if they matched or exceeded it, you had a future with the company. If they told you good luck with the new position then you really had no future anyway.

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

A policy that threatens an employee with termination if they discuss their salary is clearly designed to hide the fact that they are underpaying some people. The ages old cult of secrecy around salary benefits the employer and never the employee.
                  "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Originally posted by mswillie View Post
                    A policy that threatens an employee with termination if they discuss their salary is clearly designed to hide the fact that they are underpaying some people. The ages old cult of secrecy around salary benefits the employer and never the employee.
                    I don't disagree about some employers wanting to "hide" what they pay......

But I will also take the employer's perspective and say that sometimes one person's view of what is considered "underpaid" is another view of being "properly compensated."

No one is making anyone work for an employer.

Employment is a MUTUAL contract between the buyer (potential employer buying labor) and the seller (employee selling his/her labor).
                    Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

But I will also take the employer's perspective and say that sometimes one person's view of what is considered "underpaid" is another view of being "properly compensated."

Employment is a MUTUAL contract between the buyer (potential employer buying labor) and the seller (employee selling his/her labor).
                      Very wise comments and observations.

G.
                      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

And that's how they got away with paying women who were as qualified, or more so, significantly less than their male colleagues. For decades. Corporate America always wants to pay as little as possible for labor. If they can threaten people with termination for discussing compensation in order to hide wage disparity they will.

If there is a difference in compensation because of job performance, education, or what have you, a good manager should be able to set goals for a lower paid employee so that they can improve. "Properly compensated" for most employers is the least amount they can pay and get away with it.

I agree with the person who says to shop your resume every few years. It's well worth the time and effort.

Edited to add that I agree that employment is a mutual contract. That's one of the reasons employers would have this policy in place. They don't want their brightest, and most productive workers to realize they're being screwed.
                        "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Comments in blue....

And that's how they got away with paying women who were as qualified, or more so, significantly less than their male colleagues. For decades. Corporate America always wants to pay as little as possible for labor. If they can threaten people with termination for discussing compensation in order to hide wage disparity they will.

It is not personal....it is business. If the cost of a manufactured part is 80% labor, then the manufacturer will seek to have lowest cost labor. This will be either in the form of off-shoring production, paying less for local production, or buying machines to do the work of humans.....that old "capital (investment in machines) vs labor (human effort)" discussion.

If there is a difference in compensation because of job performance, education, or what have you, a good manager should be able to set goals for a lower paid employee so that they can improve. "Properly compensated" for most employers is the least amount they can pay and get away with it.

The more you write rules, the more people will game the rules.

Even in a "union shop" with "standardized rules and pay" people know who are the good workers vs the slackers. Unfortunately, people are not standardized.

If you had a critical job and you knew the perfect person for the role, you had to play by the rule book....so management did.....and wrote the job description such that only one specific individual would be best qualified for the role. Amazingly enough, that one person just happened to be the one management wanted to fill the role. But management plays by the rules.

I suggest reading up on the rules for the game of college admissions and how Harvard is play the rules for that game.

I agree with the person who says to shop your resume every few years. It's well worth the time and effort.
                          Everyone should know what they are worth in the market place.

There is no longer corporate loyalty....either the corporation to its employees or employees to employer. It used to be that employees stuck around because of "golden handcuffs"....eg., a pension....that is no longer the case, so knowing what you are worth (called benchmarking) is important to ensure you are getting paid the market wage.
                          Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

I think it's worth mentioning that many of the people that end up in these kinds of situations are younger. Teenagers, even, but also young adults. Most teenagers really have no idea what they're worth, and the same can be said for young adults. Many teenagers and young adults end up going to work for trainers and riders that they look up to or even idolize, and there can be a lot of confusion and uncertainty on how to handle your idols maybe not behaving well or treating you fairly. I've talked to a lot of people who have stuck in bad situations because of promises made, or the thin tendril of hope that they'll change. Heck, I've been that person.

For live-in situations, sometimes leaving isn't so easy. Finding another place to live on short notice can be a challenge, and some people end up not even having their own cars when they go to a working student, intern, stable worker, or other related position that provides on-site lodging.

Likewise, if people have brought their horses, it can be a challenge to get those horses moved to a safe location. Between finding a place to relocate the horse, arranging for transportation, and all of the other details that go into this - as well as walking a potentially thin line where fear of reprisal against you for choosing to leave may be shifted onto the horse's welfare.

Speaking for myself, one of the biggest reasons that I stayed was because I had a mare with a pelvic injury that was on stall rest for the entire winter season, and the rationale was that at least at this farm I was taking care of her every day, and could supervise how others took care of her, and she had a safe, warm stall to hang out in. The alternative was, I had no place to take her back to, and I was hard-pressed to find a stable that had an open stall, that was close enough for me to visit, and within my budget post-quitting my job.

And, of course, not everyone is able to line up a job for immediately after quitting their job.

-shrugs- I just think it's a little cavalier to imply that it's a matter of personal choice as to whether someone stays, without acknowledging how difficult it can be to extricate oneself out of committed barn positions.

^^^ But also, an employer's idea of properly compensated often does not align with the legal definitions, particularly in cases where stables pay their employees under the table.

Comment

Comments in blue....

Everyone should know what they are worth in the market place.

There is no longer corporate loyalty....either the corporation to its employees or employees to employer. It used to be that employees stuck around because of "golden handcuffs"....eg., a pension....that is no longer the case, so knowing what you are worth (called benchmarking) is important to ensure you are getting paid the market wage.
                              I know it's just business. I spent 26 years in "it's just business". The only objection I have is to the "if you tell anyone what you make we'll fire you" rule.

Comment

This has been a leading factor is pay discrimination against women and people of color, which why I think it's great that some employers are making steps to discourage this type of culture - open discussion about salary; not allowing potential hires to negotiate (men tend to negotiate at a much higher rate than women, which will oftentimes automatically set them behind men of similar experience levels).

California has made it illegal for potential employers to ask for salary history.
                                "I am but a passenger on this ship"
                                -- Stendal (epitaph)

Comment

Disclosure: I didn't read all of this thread. But a good start in answering the original question would be to google "california pay equity law." You should find a bunch of articles talking about it and other states and what they have done in terms of discussions on salary.

Comment

Working...
                                  X