• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Makeup that survives the barn, looks nice after 14 hours of wear, and doesn't take HOURS to apply?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makeup that survives the barn, looks nice after 14 hours of wear, and doesn't take HOURS to apply?

I have found lately that I really should wear some makeup to work and then the barn - I am looking rather "frumpy" and I look _far_ better with makeup on than without. Now, when I do my makeup - it's a full face, and it's /not/ something that would survive the barn. I'm talking about foundation, contour (cream), powder, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick. It's usually lovely and tasteful, but it takes me nearly an hour to apply and I just don't have the time at present. Most of the women at my workplace wear light but tasteful makeup, and I'm beginning to feel that I stand out in a negative way despite lovely outfits because I'm not "blending in" (and yes, I know it shouldn't matter.... but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I'm from a different background than most of them, and have little in common with them at a personal level (although they all seem to be perfectly nice people!) so blending seems to be important).

In short - I'm looking for an intermediate look that will survive work (7-3) and the barn (4-7:30) and still be presentable when I finally make it to the grocery store or out to dinner at 8:30 with my boyfriend (having my makeup sliding down my face isn't the appearance I'd like to present to the world either...).

Mascara and eyeliner are relatively easy, and I'm happy to wear lipstains.
    However, what I find most helpful appearance-wise (and that I'm at a loss to replicate in a way that doesn't melt at the barn) is foundation/concealer/contour/blush. I also simply don't have the time to apply all of that every day in the morning.

What do you find is quick, easy, flattering, and survives long wear including barn time for foundations, powders, and concealers? I always use a fixing spray.

Mineral powder.
    But I dont wear much anyway. I just brush on mineral powder in the mornings and it lives as long as it lives.
    However you are recieveing advice from someone who managed to spray themselves in the face with crib stop spray yesterday and nearly rubbed my eyes out, so you know know, prob dont listen to me.

Comment

I don't think it exists, frankly.

I suggest doing your usual a.m. make up routine, then after you leave the barn, wipe off your face and just use some powdered bronzer and re-apply your eyeliner/ mascara.

There is nothing on this earth that's going to endure all you're expecting it to. Sure, if it was a 14 hour day of just office work and dinner out. But actually grooming/ riding/ bathing after? And still look presentable for a date after ward? no way.

Go to Sephora and ask for a make over with their most durable products. I've found that service to be quite handy.

Comment

I can't even get my makeup to stay put for a full work day, let alone anything else. All I wear is a little foundation/ CC cream with sunscreen in it. A little primer and setting spray helps it last longer, but even then I don't get more than 5 hours out of it, and I've tried everything from drug store brands to prestige brands.

Comment

It takes an hour to do your makeup? I am trying to imagine the longest ever makeup tutorial I have seen on youtube and none have been longer than 20 mins. I can't imagine taking much longer than that with liquid eyeliner and false lashes for a night out... time to speed up!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xanthoria View Post
            It takes an hour to do your makeup? I am trying to imagine the longest ever makeup tutorial I have seen on youtube and none have been longer than 20 mins. I can't imagine taking much longer than that with liquid eyeliner and false lashes for a night out... time to speed up!
            I'm really, really meticulous about it. If I'm not I end up with eyeliner on my forehead and lipstick on my nose. I'm good at it, but quick I am certainly not. In fact, I think I would win the slow-poke award out of 100 randomly selected makeup wearing women.

Comment

Supergoop CC cream. It's tinted so it works as a concealer and foundation plus its 35 SPF. Then I use urban decay eye potion. It makes eye shadow/liner STAY ON. Maybelline liquid linear and Loreal telescope mascara.

No joke, it lasts ALL DAY and while at the barn. Even in Texas weather. Takes me 15 minutes to apply.
              A blonde & her hunter:
              www.hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

I'm not sure it's possible to do a full day of work, barn time, and dinner without touch-ups.

I do a Missha CC cream all over, concealer under the eyes and on any errant zits, Sephora brand powder, and brow gel and mascara. It takes less than 5 minutes and if I re-do the powder once or twice easily lasts through a workday and dinner. I rarely wear makeup to the barn so can't comment on that, but in your situation I would probably develop a fast routine and carry makeup wipes. Apply before work, then after the barn wipe your face off and reapply?
                www.manhattansaddlery.com - New York City's tack shop since 1912

Comment

Makeup? What's that?
                  Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
                  Alfred A. Montapert

Comment

I'm not sure foundation is that important unless you have acne scars or some kind of really uneven skin tone. If you have a nice complexion just a quick tinted sunscreen and some powder will take off any shine. You can reapply powder during the day. Eyemakeup and lip colour really give you the most impact for the effort. A good waterproof mascara and some eye pencil and a good lipstick.

I came of age in the 1980s when blush and contour were doing their first round, and I've never felt they look anything other than wierdly artificial.

Comment

I don't agree with Scribbler (although I often do) that foundation isn't that important. For me, closer to 70 than 60, foundation is essential ---although I have nearly perfect skin and almost 100% wrinkle free (yes, it's been lifted more than once), I do have faint age spots and uneven coloring under my eyes. If you look at photos of women to guess their age, it is the darkness where the nose meets the eyes, and the bags under the eyes that are most telling of age. So to me foundation --evening the skin tone and "removing the darkness" near the nose is my first step. To your question OP as to best --I'd suggest trying a few that have been mentioned --but what worked for me was given to me by my plastic surgeon to cover bruising as I healed --not only did it do that, but it stayed on! If I didn't take it off when I went to bed, it was still on in the morning and my pillow was makeup FREE --no makeup had rubbed off on my pillow. Secondly, one puts it on with a brush, controlling the amount of coverage --more here, less there, all good. Water and sweat won't take it off --you need soap or cream. What worked for me was Jane Iredale line --suggest you find someone near you to help you select colors --then buy on line. It is expensive, but it is "medical grade" or used to be. You can buy sample sizes and see if it works as well for you as it did for me. One last suggesting --make sure you are using a light hand contouring --too often when out and about, I see a woman walk out of an office into the sun --she looks as if she's got stripes on her face --too heavy a hand with the contour brush! And for everyone who looks wonderful without makeup --congratulations! I don't look scary without --(actually SCUBA and camp and don't wear it at all --FYI no makeup survives SCUBA), but I enjoy putting it on and wearing it. Personal choice as is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by pluvinel View Post
                        Makeup? What's that?
                        This! All kidding aside I am very ignorant about make-up. I do wear it on seldom occasions and never to work or the barn. Thankfully for me one of my friends is a genius with it and helps me buy new stuff every 5 or so years and teaches me how to use it if I get something new. (Again I never really wear it.). What I have learned is less is more. I love the mineral foundations (not sure if that’s the right term, it’s a powder and evens out my skin), I put two colors on my eyes, one very light almost whitish cream color up to my brow to make them look bigger (my eyes are kinda smallish) then whatever color I deem fun for the night (no I don’t look like Mimi from Drew Cary) some mascara, eyeliner pencil only on top (again the small eye thing) and a lip color. All this takes me 20 minutes which is pretty good since I put makeup on maybe once a month.

All that being said, OP you are using WAY too much makeup. The above is for going out at night. Day time, subtle eye color no liner, mascara, the powder stuff and tinted chap stick. Less is more. I have been using Mary Kay products lately and after a sweaty night of dancing in the Keys in August, it was still in place. So, my suggestion is to learn how to do your whole face with WAY less makeup. Then apply quick touch ups.
                        http://theotherboard.boards.net/ An OT forum for CoTHers to give our dear Mods a break

Comment

Originally posted by puzzle View Post

I'm really, really meticulous about it. If I'm not I end up with eyeliner on my forehead and lipstick on my nose. I'm good at it, but quick I am certainly not. In fact, I think I would win the slow-poke award out of 100 randomly selected makeup wearing women.
                          Maybe something is trying to tell you something.

Like, why are you doing this? If it takes this long to put makeup on, maybe try leaving it off.

Why do you want to wear makeup to the barn where you are sweating and getting dusty and should be wearing fly spray/mosquito repellent/sunscreen instead?

Nobody at the grocery store cares whether or not you are wearing makeup. They just care that your hands are clean. If that.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If you don't love yourself in your own skin, then trying work on your inner beauty.
                          "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                            I'm not sure foundation is that important unless you have acne scars or some kind of really uneven skin tone. If you have a nice complexion just a quick tinted sunscreen and some powder will take off any shine. You can reapply powder during the day. Eyemakeup and lip colour really give you the most impact for the effort. A good waterproof mascara and some eye pencil and a good lipstick.

I came of age in the 1980s when blush and contour were doing their first round, and I've never felt they look anything other than wierdly artificial.
                            LOL blush was doing its "first round" long before the 80s, and even before that, as rouge.
                            "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I don't wear full face, but my complexion needs some coverage and evening out occasionally. For summer, I've been using Clinique's work out make up since its been so dang humid here. Some mascara and a little blush and I'm good. Takes 5 minutes. Still, there is no way I would ever be ready for a date after the barn. I'm lucky my husband still has dinner with me the way I come home! Lol

Comment

OP, you could freshen your look in the evening, without re-doing everything, with a tinted moisturizer. I like Laura Mercier but every major makeup line has a version of this kind of product. And use a Q-tip to remove any smudged makeup right around your eyes. Those two things will take you through the evening looking good.

But I suspect what you need is not just a new set of products but re-think your relationship with makeup. You'll just be fighting yourself and feelings of insecurity if you feel unattractive in anything but "full makeup", (which sounds rather extensive/heavy).

Maybe start on weekends and go with a very light makeup look, like just some tinted moisturizer and mascara only. Get used to how that looks and feels, realize that no one is pointing and laughing Re-set what 'normal' looks like and before long, your full makeup look will start to feel clownish and exaggerated.

And with that hour you saved each day, by not putting on all that makeup, I'd suggest doing something specific that makes you feel good and healthy from the inside out. Yoga, go for a brisk walk, etc.

Comment

With the list of requirements you have I think tattooed perm makeup is your last resort.
                                  Go without.
                                  It is a barn. You are there for the horse and they don't care about makeup.
                                  3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10582097494459230781640628620899862803482534211706 79821480865132823066470938446095505822317253594081 284811174502841027019385.....

Comment

I would ditto the suggestion of makeup wipes— I would definitely feel gross wearing barn face makeup out after, even if it somehow stayed on. After the barn, just wipe your face clean and if you feel too naked maybe get some tinted moisturizer. My complexion and pale eyebrows/lashes are my main concerns with makeup so I usually feel OK with some light foundation and mascara if no time for full makeup (my daily makeup is not much more, I only go all out for special occasions now...)

Comment

I find full makeup or heavy foundation looks a bit creepy outdoors or at the barn. If you get your heavy makeup right for fluorescent lights, you *might* have a matte uniform look at 6 paces at the office. But guaranteed in the sunlight your foundation will look obvious, your mascara clumpy, etc.

There are lots of products that will freshen your complexion and provide lighter and more natural looking coverage than a full hour photo shoot type makeup.

The right shade of tinted moisturizer or sunscreen and a dab of actual foundation around the nose and eyes or on age spots takes about 2 minutes and is pretty much fool proof.

Blush and contour just don't look natural IRL. And if you have anything you are trying to cover up, like wrinkles or scars, they just emphasize it.

I do find that it pays to get higher quality foundation type products from the "department store" brands like Clinique and Estee Lauder and Mac, etc. If you get the right tint and texture you can use it sparingly or as a concealer and it will not be obvious whereas if the tint doesn't match your face or the texture is too heavy, it will be obvious it's patchy. Obviously this means you don't want to use makeup to alter your actual skin tone and you might need a different tint summer and winter.

I feel like a little bit of makeup cleverly applied does boost many people's appearance, but more doesn't necessarily look better, and too much is most often wrong except in very distinct situations (like you work at the Mac counter and need to look Goth).

Comment

I do a full face including liquid eye liner and often lashes every day. It takes me 20-25 min.

I can "touch up" in five minutes, and do so if I have to run to dinner, whatever and still want to look "good enough".

I like a pressed mineral powder, pur, or physician's formula for touch up face, then yep, qtip or cosmetic wedge even a napkin to remove any smudgy eye makeup, touch up liner and mascara, lip gloss, done.
                                        Let me apologize in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                        X