• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Craigslist - is it just for laughs? has it worked for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist - is it just for laughs? has it worked for you?

Craigslist seems to be an endless source of rage, mockery and amusement here (and by the examples, it deserves it at times). I have to say when I was looking for a horse (and a cheap one at that) I looked briefly at CL, but saw so few ideal ads, and so few with enough info to encourage me to make a phone call, that I didn't follow up on any of them.

Has any COTHer has ever actually successfully bought or sold a horse through Craigslist?

If so, what's your story?

I actually found a horse for my friend's daughter and we'll try to see her this weekend. she sounds perfect. I think with any FREE ad, you'll have a lot of nuts. But there are some good ones there too. I actually cringe at the pets listings, b/c i have seen some horrid people on there and some really dumb people posting.

Comment

I did buy my pony from a CL ad. Drove nearly 4 hours to see him...only to find an extremely skinny, bite-mark/rain rot infested pony. Bought him out of pity, he was so sweet.

Ended up rehabbing him, and he turned into a beautiful prospect 6 months later.

Sold him on CL to a nice girl an hour or 2 away from me.

So yes....Craigslist can be scary, but also can turn out well. You just need to really weed out the crazies if you want to buy/sell anything.....boy, did I get some crazy emails from people inquiring about my pony, lol.
      <3 Vinnie <3
      1992-2010
      Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Comment

I've had great responses from CL. I also have to say I have met many friends through horse sells and ads for boarding through CL. I've bought and sold horses and tack on CL, got great deals and found good homes and even located a horse I had sold and lost track of through an ad I placed on CL and now we're also friends.
        I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

I've been looking at CL, but so far what I've found is that the nicer sounding horses sell REALLY fast. I've called about several and looked at two. Neither was quite as represented due to lack of knowledge by the seller. Due to my work schedule and not being free to look during the week, others I've been interested in sold before I was able to arrange an appointment to see them. It's a fast moving market place for sure.
          "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I have to say I was extremely reluctant, as a seller,to post an ad on Craigslist, but that is how I ended up finding a buyer for my TB.
            I think it helped to have nice photos and to be able to post up to 4 or free.
            He sold to the first person that came upand tried him out.

I was having no luck with any other websites, so I thought why not..
            "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

Success

I've sold and purchased tack, I've found horses, boarding facilities, hay...and I just sold a horse on CL. I did get a bunch of lookie-loo and odd emails. But I did get 1 really well written, thoughtful email, and as it turns out, the girl who wrote it is very nice, and very excited to have found her new horse. She came with her trainer/bm, and I was very impressed with how they conducted themselves.

So, its not all bad- you have to weed through it.
              My blog: Change of Pace - Retraining a standardbred via dressage

Comment

A cautionary tale ;

David Sparre, the 19-year old from Brunswick, Georgia sought in the latest Craigslist murder case, was arrested in South Carolina over the weekend.
                He’s being returned to Jacksonville, Florida where he will face charges for the stabbing murder of Tiara Pool, whom he met on Craigslist.
                Reportedly Sparre admitted to the killing and the murder weapon was retrieved. His motives are still unknown.
                Sparre met his victim through the personals section of Craigslist and they communicated by email and phone until finally meeting in person, after which he allegedly stabbed her in her apartment multiple times and stole her car, later abandoning it.
                Sparre fled to relatives in South Carolina until his arrest by US Marshals this weekend. He was identified and tracked down by the police through email and phone records.
                This latest Craigslist murder is just one in a string of robberies, murders, and other crimes committed with links to the site. One watchdog blogger maintains a listing of Craigslist crimes and believes the number of related crimes to be well over one thousand over the past four years.
                Please use common sense when utilizing social media!
                ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I posted a pony I had for sale on several paid internet sites; DreamHorse, HorseCity, a couple of others and Craigslist. Guess where my buyer came from? Yep, Craigslist. In fact that ad got more responses than all the other sites combined. My ad was honest and well thought out. It didn't contain any mispellings or grammatical errors (that I could find). I took, what I thought were, quality pictures and video showing what the pony could do, what he has done and his current condition. Not all people posting on Craigslist are illiterate trash....but a lot of them are
                  "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Bought a brand new Rambo quartersheet off Craigslist last winter ... met the girl in a restaurant parking lot at lunch and was done in five minutes.

I've seen a few cute horses on Craigslist locally that were obviously being sold by people who did not know what they had, but those are outnumbered 10 to 1 by the fugly (either pregnant or intact), barely broke, skinny grade horses on there. Those make me so sad.
                    Full-time bargain hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCAT View Post
                      I have to say I was extremely reluctant, as a seller,to post an ad on Craigslist, but that is how I ended up finding a buyer for my TB.
                      I think it helped to have nice photos and to be able to post up to 4 or free.
                      He sold to the first person that came upand tried him out.

I was having no luck with any other websites, so I thought why not..
                      I sold one of my geldings on CL because I wasn't having luck on the other sites. He was pretty scraggly looking when I got him back from the person who leased him, but he was still a good solid citizen. The hour I posted him, someone called, came out the next day, thought about it and now she has a really great trail horse. She has kept me posted on his progress as I was pretty worried about selling him in the condition he was in. He looks absolutely fabulous now! I am glad I did it, although I have heard many horror stories about CL.

Comment

i haven't sold anything on CL, but i have bought (and helped friends locate) saddles and horses from CL. my latest purchase is my childs pony in training, a very cute POA medium pony with lots of personality.

there are lots of sellers who are really horse novices, but if (like me) you have more time than money, you can weed through and find some great bargains.
                        * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Comment

maaaaaaan how do you all keep your ads from getting flagged?????

I posted a Lovely warmblood cross at a very decent bargin price (but not kill buyers), and got flagged off with nasty reply telling me to stay off craigslist unless I am giving my horse away?? The same thing happened to my friend every single one of her boarding training or for sale ads were flagged while others stayed up untouched.

It was really weird every ad thereafter for anything I put up, even unrelated to the original, was flagged off. I started to wonder if someone was just Po'd at me (paranoid much who me?? )
                          And YES I read carefully the terms of service and violated none.. while other ads for local trainers with 5 to 10 K ads stayed up for weeks.. it was all very surreal and I gave up on craigslist!
                          "Sport N Curls"
                          Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
                          www.seldomcreek.com

Comment

I bought a tack trunk, a PDN, and sold a Beval saddle on craigslist. Sold a horse into a lovely 4H home and a friend has bought 3 horses off craiglist. Had another friend sell a horse trailer.

Had some adds flagged, mostly by people who must be really really bored and mean.
                            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Never a horse, but I sold a jet ski on CL the same week I posted the ad - in a bad economy. And I got the price I wanted too... it was a miracle I tell ya.
                              You are what you dare.

Comment

Mockery and rage? All I see is a free classified site. We must be looking at different things. I've bought and sold tons of tack through Craigslist. I've been very happy and had very good experiences. The only negative experience was when I put an ad out for someone to help with barn chores while I was out of town. The lady sounded great on the phone but never showed up for the apt. we had set up for training. She finally called 3 days later and said "I'm sorry but I ended up going up to Green Bay that day and forgot to call. Do you still want me to come out?" Um gee sherlock, let's think about that for a minute.........how about NO.

Comment

I have never bought or sold a horse through craigslist, but I have a staff of over 30 employees (darn GOOD ones!) that all came from craigslist.
                                  Out of 100 responses I'll interview maybe 5 and hire 1... so you do have to pick through alot, but I've found some real gems
                                  www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                                  chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

We’ve had amazing luck with Craigslist. We bought our farm, both our vehicles, and horses off of Craigslist. We’ve sold two horses to wonderful families. One keeps emailing us and the other sends videos and pictures regularly for updates. We’ve also bought our goats and rehomed a Doberman through Craigslist. Oh, and found our hay supplier and farrier on Craigslist. I guess it depends on the area in which you live and probably what you have for sale.

Comment

I bought my saddle on CL without any problems. But...recently I was trying to sell it as I don't have a horse anymore and would rather have lesson money. One guy emailed, asking if it was red (normal little crosby pdn, WITH pics). Then he called me, asking if I'd trade the saddle for an arab and went on to accuse me of being prejudiced against arabs when I said no, I'm not in a position to own a horse right now. I didn't mention that my last horse was an anglo-arab/hann cross. I've ignored the several emails he's sent since that call.

There are some weird people out there.

Comment

There's probably the same cross-section of gems, losers, freaks and dummies as in the world at large.

I have made (probably literally) hundreds of CL purchases for farm- and horse-related items. I have not personally bought a horse from CL but one of my friends has. I have sold and given away items, and I have advertised for barn help.

When coming to purchase an item, I promise to show up and I do. I must sound sincere because I have had people willing to hold items for me until the weekend -- what if I didn't show? But I do, and they seem incredibly grateful!
                                        Shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you? You are at your very best when things are worst.
                                        Starman

Comment

Working...
                                        X