Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Serious Buyer" Vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Serious Buyer" Vent

Slightly light hearted but OMG I forgot how much I hate selling horses.

I have a 2018 foal for sale. I took several days to try to get video showcasing her going both directions at the walk, trot, and canter - no small feat for a very active foal and me, usually by myself.

Today I got a message from a potential buyer, asking me for video in an arena. Mind you, the video I produced is 90 seconds long in short grass because she is still with her mother and not yet weaned.

I replied, "No."

She then asked if I was a serious seller, because she is a serious buyer. Note to anyone reading: if you have to tell people you're a serious buyer, you aren't a serious buyer.

I was then asked if the foal has ever even been handled - is it halter broke?

I replied, "It's wearing a halter in the video." I was told I was rude.

The icing on the cake was then being asked why my solid bred paint was being advertised so inexpensively compared to others by this stallion. #heresyoursign

Oh, serious buyers - where would we be without you.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

I feel your pain!!! I'm also in Texas....100+ degree heat index and our new/under construction farm doesn't have a round pen up yet. Pastures are 10+ acres...I'm "aged" and buyer asks if I can go out and chase yearlings around in the pasture and get some "good" video!! What happened to the days when people WENT TO LOOK AT HORSES IN PERSON???
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
      I feel your pain!!! I'm also in Texas....100+ degree heat index and our new/under construction farm doesn't have a round pen up yet. Pastures are 10+ acres...I'm "aged" and buyer asks if I can go out and chase yearlings around in the pasture and get some "good" video!! What happened to the days when people WENT TO LOOK AT HORSES IN PERSON???
      I totally get not looking in person; most of the horses I know that are selling from Texas are going to other states. When everyone has a cell phone it's lazy to not have at least some kind of video.

But, yes - it's hot here, which is why I was so annoyed that this particular inquiry wasn't happy with the rather lengthy video of this foal at liberty in the pasture. It's not fun or easy trying to get "good" video in the pasture - mine all just want to play and run.

Comment

My rule of thumb, if they're asking you to perform work you've already done (video differently, is it halter broke while wearing the halter).. translates to them being tire kickers.

Serious buyers will ask relevant questions and not waste your time.

It's kind of nice when folks tell you who they are without you putting too much effort forth first.

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
          My friend ran into this when selling a horse. The buyer was in the area, all she had to do was set up an appt with the trainer to view the gelding. My friend was in her busy season at work and the trainer hadn't gotten a vid either. I went and got a short clip of him trotting and cantering in the arena. But I was alone and it isn't easy to get a horse moving while holding still for the video.

It was about a week before my friend could get to the barn and take pix and a riding vid. I told her lesson learned, have this stuff before you list for sale!

Comment

I hate selling horses as well. That is why I mostly just keep them. But I do hear you, and feel your pain. I don't know what is worse though selling or buying. We all have a buying story that is a heck of a dusey as well. Seriously I think you out done yourself with the video you described, but hey that's just me.
            Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

I hate tirekickers, but with regards to buyers and videos... I prefer to see videos before seeing the horse in person. Call me spoiled by technology, but I've eliminated a lot of horses and prevented wasting a lot of people's time that way.

There are so many bajillion people out there who have wasted my time swearing up and down their horses were sound, only to arrive and find the horse at minimum, 2/5 on a stifle, hock, whatever.. my interpretation of sound is very different than many people's, I've found...

Then there are the people that say the horse is a beautiful mover and you go to see it and find out the owner's version of good mover is very different than your own.. so I am really glad that there is more of a trend of asking for videos before seeing the horse in person.

Except, there was one occasion where I wish I had pushed more for a video for one horse, who we went to look at for a family member. He was a lovely, lovely horse: everything was right.. the price, the age, his disposition, his gaits... but I felt like something was NQR with him undersaddle and would have much preferred to have never met him at all, because driving home, I felt very sorry for him and have wondered occasionally if he ever got a soft landing.

The entire process is frustrating - sellers with overzealous descriptions, and buyers with unreasonable expectations.. and somewhere, a middle ground that's very hard to find.

OP is it possible they wanted an arena because the grass obscures the filly's feet?
              AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                OP is it possible they wanted an arena because the grass obscures the filly's feet?
                I very seriously doubt it. I could understand if the grass was ankle or knee high, but a horse moving in very normal grass is fairly common - wouldn't obscure much more than a sand arena.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arelle;n10146527]

/QUOTE]

Do you really not know why your response came across as being rude?

I would see it that way for the following reasons.

1. Of course I watched the video. You know that, I know that. If I'm asking a question, it's because I didn't see my answer in that.** If you send me back to that original source of information, I'm going to assume that you don't want to help me do my due diligence before I exchange money for your horse. Don't want to *help me* buy? Fine. I'll give someone else my money, perhaps only because they were helpful.

2. Selling is customer service. No one knows or cares what it took to make the video. You cannot make folks feel stupid or bad about themselves and them expect them to pay you for that experience. By and large, people close their wallets right up when they get offended, and so you must try very hard to never do that, no matter what they prospective buyer does. (Of course an indication that he'll mistreat the animal should break the deal, pronto.)

3. ** Halter broke means different things to different folks. So if someone asked me that question, I'd give them a fuller description of when baby started wearing his halter, if he had been tied at all yet, how he was about being led. Again, help them to see why they want this horse, not why you have contempt for them.

4. The medium of texting invites curt, indecorous questions and answers. I find those staccato sentences very easily come off as rude. And I hate nothing worse than someone texting me a short question that requires a longer-than-text answer!

Hope you have better luck with the next inquiry, OP. And at least you have the video done and don't have to herd that cat (and look good doing it) again.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

because she is a serious buyer
                    just inform her that serous buyers will invest their time and their money to go look at the horse...

Originally posted by beowulf View Post
                    I hate tire kickers,

this is a foal... it would do more good to look at its mother's feet

Comment

I agree mvp. I don't know that I would categorize the OP's response as "rude," but seeing a halter on a foal in a video tells me only that OP got a halter on the foal one time for the video, not that the foal is halter broke. It's not an unreasonable question. Halter broke (to me) means you can put the halter on the foal any time and take it off again, with no issues. It also implies (to me) that the foal leads. (More or less, foals can have ideas of their own, of course.)

I do think the other requests of this "serious buyer" were silly though. I recently posted a horse for lease and I was specifically pointing out that this horse is beginner safe, as well as schooling 3rd level. So I attached photos of a beginner riding the horse. I got a very rude comment from some woman who said, "Ugh! those are terrible pictures! If this horse is really schooling 3rd level, you need to put pictures that show that." I politely pointed out that I wanted to demonstrate how quiet and safe the horse is with the photos. She came back with a long diatribe about how I was not going to generate any interest with such crappy pictures and she was only trying to help. Sigh. I said, "Are you interested?" She made some dumb comment about "looking for a friend." So I posted a picture of me riding the horse in a show in medium trot. Needless to say, I didn't hear from her again. The horse is now leased to a very competent rider who may just get her bronze medal this season.

Comment

Original Poster

[QUOTE=mvp;n10146625]
                        Originally posted by Arelle View Post

/QUOTE]

Do you really not know why your response came across as being rude?

I would see it that way for the following reasons.

1. Of course I watched the video. You know that, I know that. If I'm asking a question, it's because I didn't see my answer in that.** If you send me back to that original source of information, I'm going to assume that you don't want to help me do my due diligence before I exchange money for your horse. Don't want to *help me* buy? Fine. I'll give someone else my money, perhaps only because they were helpful.

2. Selling is customer service. No one knows or cares what it took to make the video. You cannot make folks feel stupid or bad about themselves and them expect them to pay you for that experience. By and large, people close their wallets right up when they get offended, and so you must try very hard to never do that, no matter what they prospective buyer does. (Of course an indication that he'll mistreat the animal should break the deal, pronto.)

3. ** Halter broke means different things to different folks. So if someone asked me that question, I'd give them a fuller description of when baby started wearing his halter, if he had been tied at all yet, how he was about being led. Again, help them to see why they want this horse, not why you have contempt for them.

4. The medium of texting invites curt, indecorous questions and answers. I find those staccato sentences very easily come off as rude. And I hate nothing worse than someone texting me a short question that requires a longer-than-text answer!

Hope you have better luck with the next inquiry, OP. And at least you have the video done and don't have to herd that cat (and look good doing it) again.
                        I simply don't suffer fools. Being short with answers for stupid questions is much nicer than "hey, moron, are you blind?"

This "serious buyer" started her conversation asking for things that I had already posted. She continued asking for things that had already been posted. Her question was actually "Is she halter broke? Has she ever been handled?" to which I wrote my response - but I edited for the sake of a quick story not realizing someone on CoTH would write four paragraphs as to why I am rude. Silly me.

This filly is also posted for sale for $1,500. Her sire's stud fee alone is $3,000. My same "serious buyer" also asked why I was selling and why she was so inexpensive. (Hint: It's because she's a solid paint, which a "serious buyer" would know if they're purchasing paint horses.) I've got several other buyers who aren't idiots who are already putting their ducks in a row to send a deposit. I won't spend time coddling someone whose second sentence after criticizing my video is that she's a serious buyer and wants my zip code to arrange hauling. I'm usually very nice to people who ask intelligent questions - I've done this enough to weed out the nuts fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Arelle View Post
                          - but I edited for the sake of a quick story not realizing someone on CoTH would write four paragraphs as to why I am rude. Silly me.
                          Well, this is COTH. I kind of think you should have anticipated that.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                          that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

It was 110 here yesterday with higher humidity and summer is just starting.

I also prefer to see as much as possible of a horse before taking the time to drive anywhere for it, or buy it sight unseen, as you have to if a horse is really far off.

Many pictures and videos sure help and yes, that comes under service as a seller.
                            Before listing an item, know what buyers want to know and have that ready to go, like information on correct height, age, yes, even with registration certificates, sellers don't double check and list the wrong age?

We don't even sell any more, but list with a trainer that markets horses properly and sells several a month, representing them as they are and with the right advertising on hand.
                            Or sell directly to clients of a good trainer when we have a show horse for sale.

There are more and more scammers on the internet selling horses and tack they may not have.
                            Beware as a seller or buyer that you may be dealing with someone that may disappear.

Comment

Original Poster

Update: I was retelling this story to a friend of mine and brought up the exchange. The question wasn't even "Is she halter broke" - it was "Has she ever had a halter on?".

Also, I was told I was rude before this exchange, when she asked why I was selling her and I replied, "Because I'm a breeder and I breed horses to sell them."

#SORUDE

Bluey I've got a friend that lists them located in Ohio, she's my second option if I don't generate the right kind of interest here.

I have a friend with a $5,000 gelding who was offered $1,000 and a rhinestone headstall this week. As I said in the beginning of my OP, it's a slightly light hearted vent at some of the people on the internet - both buyers AND sellers.

Comment

Its harder to sell cheap horses then expensive ones. I was selling a gelding for $1500 a few years ago. Well bred, well started, but nervous, unshown, and required an experienced rider. He also needed shoes. I was asked why I was selling him so cheap. I responded "cause that's what he is worth".
                                Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

And then there are those buyers who will overlook a "cheap" horse because they don't want a horse that's 'less than'..

Case in point. Decades ago I had one for sale for $3500. Couldn't move him for about 3 months. Barely a phone call and no views. Raised his price to $10k.. and suddenly folks were beating down my door for him. I ended up selling him for 6...

Comment

An instructor found the perfect horse for a guy. $1,000.00. No not good enough.

Next week she found a horse for $2,000.00. Nope.

Next week $3,000.00. Nope find a better one.

$5,000.00. He would come and look. The perfect horse for him. He loved it. He bought it. He took it home.

The instructor paid the $1,000 for the only horse found and pocketed the rest as stupidity money.
                                    It is better to ride 5 minutes a day than it is to ride 35 minutes on a Sunday.

Comment

Original Poster

Unfortunately, while I would love to make more money - this is a twelve week old foal who is a solid bred paint. Despite being very well bred, and being pretty and a good mover -- there just isn't much market for a solid paint. If she had a spot, I could add a 0 to her price tag easily.

Comment

Yes, OP, but that's ^ your opinion, as breeder of paints.
                                        Somewhere out there is a buyer looking for a well bred, pretty, good mover filly for performance whose dreading the upkeep of all the white on a "real" paint who's wondering just what's 'wrong' with your filly that you've priced her so low...
                                        Double her price and see what happens!
                                        Can't learn anything with a closed mind! with thanks to mug

Comment

Working...
                                        X