• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Horse stuck at trainers barn under quarantine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse stuck at trainers barn under quarantine

If anyone has followed my training woes, here's more...

My lovely little 6 yr old gelding is currently at my barn owner/managers mother in law's farm for 60 days. The entire experience has not felt right to me and with each passing day, it gets worse. I

​​​BO and fellow boarder brought their horses to trainers for 5 weeks and are now home. My guy is still there. Main issue with her is poor communication from her (doesn't answer texts in her weekends) and me not riding or being involved in my horses training. I've been on horse once for 20 min and saw her work him once. Just supposed to drop him off, trust her and let her work her magic. It's been really hard and I'm trying to wait out the final 3 weeks. But...I want so badly to just go get my horse. I felt a bit better yesterday after finally getting lessons confirmed for later this week. I start to feel better thinking maybe in these next few weeks, things will come together...yeah right.

Today, I find out trainers horse is very sick - fever, lethargy, hind end issues. Vet thinks Neuro issue or pasture accident. Great...I immediately think EPM, West nile or EHV. Trainer does not vaccinate her horses either. Lovely. I do vaccinate. Per trainer, my horse has had no contact with hers as they do not share same pasture or paddock. So she doesn't want me coming there (I have my other horse at barn owners). Lessons are cancelled and I can't even see my horse. We are awaiting test results from UW at the moment.

​​​​​I'm very scared and super pissed. I'm upset I trusted this woman. I feel guilty i put my horse in this position where he may be exposed to an infectious illness. I'm mad this training has been a complete joke and I have not gotten what I wanted. I'm taking my horse home as soon as I can and will ask for a partial refund for this week and the remainder of the month. I'm so upset and have cried my eyes out. How could this have all gone so wrong??!! This entire experience has been horrible. BO and fellow boarder are horrified and feel it's been a bad experience for them as well.

Please help me through the anxiety of not seeing my horse or knowing what he may have been exposed to or when I'll get him home. I'm worried sick.

How do you know the training has been a useless if you haven't ridden the horse yet? Maybe he will be wonderful.

Surely you agreed to whatever time span and set up when you sent the horse there. Maybe now you have second thoughts about whether that was optimal. But it was your choice at the time. Don't beat yourself up over that.

As far as the infectious disease, if your horse is vaccinated he should be safe. If these insect vector diseases are in your area, it does not take close contact or even being on the same farm to catch them. They aren't like strangles.

Unclear what precisely the other folks agree is a night mare. Did they not find the training as promised?

At any rate, blowing up emotionally in a situation like this is counter productive because it prevents you from thinking clearly about the next step, and increases the chance your next move will be reactive to this situation.

Comment

I'm not sure why your horse is quarantined at this place. What is the disease he is being quarantined for? Pay up your training weeks, anything over that, you can just ask him to be turned out until you can pick him up, and pay basics. Yes, you would do better to get lessons yourself to go with the training, but if that isn't going to happen, pay up, and lesson learned. You'll do well spending your money on your own lessons with someone else, apparently. Find out from the vet who is involved at that barn what everything means for your horse. So far, there is nothing you said which affects other horses in the barn, so your post is confusing to me.
      My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

Can you call the vet and get actual facts.

Comment

Of those, only EHV is communicable horse to horse, and it's something that, realistically, can show up in entirely closed populations regardless of vaccination if a horse has been exposed at any point (and almost all of them have). So while it's scary, it's also part of having horses. Not something to feel guilty about.

Comment

I would call the vet involved, and if they are QT'd for EHV or the other things that would mean the State Vet afaik.
            I would want to hear it from that Vet... and actually if you google you can likely find an alert about it if in fact the state Vet has issued a QT for that barn/area, for one of those diseases.

There's nothing here, but that doesn't mean there's not a QT in place.
            http://www.equinediseasecc.org/alerts/outbreaks
            Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

First of all, you need to take a more active role in the horse’s training, even if he is at the trainer’s. You should be there regularly, checking on progress throughout the stay, even if you don’t ride the horse, but she rides him for you. If this does not work for the trainer, find another trainer!

This is going to sound harsh, but YOU, in the end, are responsible for putting YOUR horse in this situation. As owners, it is our responsibility to do the best for our horses, and that includes care in training situations. If someone told me to drop my horse off and wait for the magic to happen, and show up in 8 weeks to see the magic, my horse would not be with them. Too many things can go wrong in that period of time.

Secondly, why would you put your horse with someone who does not vaccinate? Especially with training horses going in and out of a barn!

Thirdly, is this a state imposed quarantine that the horse cannot be moved? If it is not, I would go pick up the horse IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner. Find another place to quarantine him. Most vets have stalls set up for quarantine, as well as other facilities that bring horses in and out. It might cost you a fair amount to do so, but it is better than costing you the health or life of the horse.

If someone told me not to come see my horse, I would be showing up on their doorstep as soon as possible. With a truck and trailer, and the ability to document through photos and video what conditions of the farm are and what condition my horse is in. If the vet thinks this is an injury or neuro issue, there should be no problem getting your horse.
              "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

My barn was quarantined last summer for 90 days for strangles. No horses had been off property in the 6 months prior. After some investigation, we believe a farrier brought it in on his tools as he visited a farm which was quarantined 6 days later (he was not aware). Anyways, the state vet had the entire barn on quarantine/lock down for 90 days because you have to go 30 days with no one running a fever, and the one horse who got it had a rough time of it. She did eventually recover.

Since I was the one who feeds horses in all the separate pastures and both the front and back barn, I had to follow strict biosecurity measures. It was a pain in the butt, but no other horses got it, even though the mare was in the general population 2 days into her fever before diagnosed. All the other horses were vaccinated, this owner didn't believe in vaccinating for strangles so her mare was not vaccinated.

If he is vaccinated, he SHOULD be ok if its EHV. Mosquito borne illnesses are just that, spread through mosquitos. Not transferable from horse to horse.

I would call the vet and get the facts myself. Calm down, take a deep breath, and realize this is part of owning horses. I am confused, though, about your not being able to go visit him. All of the horse owners at the barn I board at were able to come out, just had to follow the biosecurity protocol in place.

Comment

I see no reason you can't go see your horse, quarantine or not. You can take necessary precautions in and around the barn. Take extra clothes and shoes and change out if necessary once you've been there, bag up your clothes and shoes and clean them separately at home or what ever is protocol.

I agree with calling the vet that sees your horse at the trainers barn and ask what is going on and if you can remove your horse.

When sending horses to trainers, be involved (as other's have said). You are the paying customer, you have a right and need to check on your horse and see how things are going. Nothing and no ones should say you can't go ride and enjoy your horse while in training and check on it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                    First of all, you need to take a more active role in the horse’s training, even if he is at the trainer’s. You should be there regularly, checking on progress throughout the stay, even if you don’t ride the horse, but she rides him for you. If this does not work for the trainer, find another trainer!

This is going to sound harsh, but YOU, in the end, are responsible for putting YOUR horse in this situation. As owners, it is our responsibility to do the best for our horses, and that includes care in training situations. If someone told me to drop my horse off and wait for the magic to happen, and show up in 8 weeks to see the magic, my horse would not be with them. Too many things can go wrong in that period of time.

Secondly, why would you put your horse with someone who does not vaccinate? Especially with training horses going in and out of a barn!

Thirdly, is this a state imposed quarantine that the horse cannot be moved? If it is not, I would go pick up the horse IMMEDIATELY, if not sooner. Find another place to quarantine him. Most vets have stalls set up for quarantine, as well as other facilities that bring horses in and out. It might cost you a fair amount to do so, but it is better than costing you the health or life of the horse.

If someone told me not to come see my horse, I would be showing up on their doorstep as soon as possible. With a truck and trailer, and the ability to document through photos and video what conditions of the farm are and what condition my horse is in. If the vet thinks this is an injury or neuro issue, there should be no problem getting your horse.
                    Whoa....I am actively involved and out there 2-3 times a week with him- even though it's not productive in the training sense. My whole issue is that the trainer does not like actively involved owners and prefers to do her own thing and hand them back. If you want a passive owner, I am not your gal.I try to respect the trainer's wishes but still be involved but it's hard when she won't really let you be and won't commit to lessons, etc. Last week I was gone for work, came out on Saturday to see my boy, she was on her deck, saw me and went into the house without ever coming to talk to me or check in. yeah, thanks. Not much you can do with that.

It's on me for not asking if trainer vaccinates. Honestly, with my BO and friend sending their horses there too, I didn't even think about this issue.

This is not a state imposed quarantine- this is from the trainer and/or her vet who advised no horse should leave the property until they know what her horse has. My BO would probably appreciate having an all clear before accepting my guy back.

I paid and committed to 30 days upfront. Then trainer said horse would need more time so I verbally agreed to June 30th.

I agree with your thought and feeling about being told I can't see my horse. Honestly that is the hardest part right now.

Comment

Have you spoken directly to the vet?
                      "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

It sounds like what you want out of a trainer is totally different from her program, and also like you knew that in advance, so I'm not sure why you didn't just go somewhere better suited. And I don't think it's necessarily reasonable to expect her to be available on weekends outside of emergencies unless you scheduled it in advance. I know for me, if I'm not at a show Sunday is my day off (apart from the barn work) and I don't really want to spend it with the boarders. If there is a veterinary/ medical emergency, that's different, but almost everything else can wait.

Comment

I would talk to the state vet. From the sounds of it this isn’t a true quarantine. If that’s the case you can just go pick up your horse. I understand your current BO not wanting the horse until everything is cleared up but you can try an arrange for the horse to be separated. If that wouldn’t work you can look for other options. In the area I use to live in we had at least 5 barns that had quarantine areas for new horses. Any horse coming in for the first time would stay there for a couple of weeks before going to the main barn.

Comment

Didn't you discuss expectations with the trainer before you signed up with her? If you knew and accepted upfront that you wouldn't be involved in training or lessons for the first 2 months, it's sort of hard to be hurt about it now. Have you been satisfied with the progress you've seen so far?

I can see (and respect) her not wanting you on the farm right now, with the potential for infectious disease to be spread. She's being cautious (maybe a little too late). Until you know exactly what you're dealing with, I'd respect that.

And as for the texts, I know younger people expect to be able to be in contact 24-7, but her days off are just that. I wouldn't expect communications to/from her on those days unless it was an emergency. Horse people neer really get "time off", but they can at least have their days off to themselves.

The vaccine thing, that's problematic for me. It's not one of those questions I would've asked, I probably would've assumed everything was vaccinated, particularly if she shows. The first thing is to find out facts: Is there an actual quarantine on (in the legal sense). When are the test results due? If this isn't a legal quarantine, will your other barn accept your horse back?

You're upset, and you're making the mistake of thinking that the whole world has gone to hell. Take a deep breath. If your barn owner and fellow boarder seem happy with the the training their horses have received, yours will probably be likewise well-trained. If you knew the trainer's methods and agreed to them, as long as she gives you access to visit your horse, you should respect that.

Good luck with the health scare. It's probably an excess of caution. Better to take precautions you don't need than through open your doors when there are potentially infectious horses there.

StG

Comment

Yes WRT quarantine through the state, the benefit there is that they come every couple of days and check on the animals and the record keeping, and the protocol being used to keep everyone from infecting one another.
                              A QT through some local Vet is unlikely to be doing that, largely because of cost.it would incur.

If I was the barn on the receiving end of a horse who had been through QT for something like the diseases you've listed, I would want the assurance that proper protocol was done, and that would only be from the state Vet.
                              When the QT is over, the state Vet in NY sends a letter clearing the facility. I would want to see that as well.

I might add that the suspected disease very well may be 'reportable' in your state and I would look into that and whether the state vet is aware that this 'quarantine' has been put in place for suspicion of these diseases potentially being present.
                              Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Original Poster

Interesting to see the different perspectives...You bet I am reacting emotionally! Although, not to the trainer. Have remained polite, with her and expressed concern over her horse, who is likely to be euthed soon. It's very sad as he is only 6. I have not decided what to do in terms of just playing out the remainder of the month or going to get him. Depends on how this plays out and what the diagnosis is. Have not made any decision yet for going forward.

So yeah, lots of issues involved including the training, the communication, the disease potential. Some are right in that I probably should not have sent horse there knowing that maybe her methods and mine do not click. However, you don't know until you are in a situation sometimes that it isn't right. Is this not why divorce happens, or people leave trainers, vets, farriers, etc.? Whatever the case, he's there now and this is what I am dealing with so could have-would have-should have will not help.

Comment

OP I am sorry you are dealing with this. I think most posters are reacting the way they are because you are clearly unhappy with this arrangement quarantine or not. If I was in your shoes I would pull my horse as soon as possible. What is making me scratch my head is the fact that you are contemplating leaving your horse there. Why on earth would you do that when it’s obvious you are unhappy about the situation as a whole?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                                    I would call the vet involved, and if they are QT'd for EHV or the other things that would mean the State Vet afaik.
                                    I would want to hear it from that Vet... and actually if you google you can likely find an alert about it if in fact the state Vet has issued a QT for that barn/area, for one of those diseases.

There's nothing here, but that doesn't mean there's not a QT in place.
                                    http://www.equinediseasecc.org/alerts/outbreaks
                                    This is a good site. Thanks for the link.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                                      OP I am sorry you are dealing with this. I think most posters are reacting the way they are because you are clearly unhappy with this arrangement quarantine or not. If I was in your shoes I would pull my horse as soon as possible. What is making me scratch my head is the fact that you are contemplating leaving your horse there. Why on earth would you do that when it’s obvious you are unhappy about the situation as a whole?
                                      yeah, idk. just because of this being my barn owner's MIL and trying to save face,,,but my gut says GET HIM HOME. deal with the rest later. Thanks for the reminder.

Comment

Originally posted by TWH Girl View Post

yeah, idk. just because of this being my barn owner's MIL and trying to save face,,,but my gut says GET HIM HOME. deal with the rest later. Thanks for the reminder.
                                        I would get him home. If your BO has that big of a problem with it then that is on them. Not every trainer works for every horse owner. Can your BO help you with their MIL?

I moved my horse last summer after trying another barn recommended to me by a friend. I had moved to a new area. Turns out, the barn was big on everyone being reliant on the trainer and in the program. For example, you weren’t allowed to show unless you were in the lesson program. If you went solo to a show, and I didn’t put the barn name on my entries, that was still a big problem in their eyes. I am way too self sufficient for that. I gave notice they pitched a fit but I’m happier for it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X