• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Questions for FT grooms / Barns with FT grooms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for FT grooms / Barns with FT grooms

I'm working on a business plan and was curious to know how other barns handle groom schedules and duties. If any of the grooms, BOs, or BMs out there would be willing to answer these questions here or by PM, I'd greatly appreciate it! If you would like to indicate where in the country your barn is, great. If you prefer not to, no problem.

I'm curious to know how many horses each groom is responsible for on a daily basis and what your duties are -- i.e,. is it just stalls, feeding, sweeping aisle, and general barn chores -- or does it involve full care, grooming, tacking, wrapping, cooling out, etc. as well?

Are there other staff on site who have different duties? (If so, what?)

How many hours per day and days per week do you work?

How much vacation time do you get (paid or unpaid)?

How are your duties covered on your days off? Do the other grooms on the property cover the horses or is there a PT staff on those days?

If you don't mind sharing, what is the compensation? (salary, hourly wage, housing + wage?) If you mind sharing the type of accomodations or the actual wage, I would appreciate it. I understand if you want to keep it private, though.

This question EDITED FOR CLARITY: If you live on site, is it required that a groom sleep on the premises every night (as opposed to at a friend's house, e.g.)? I've worked at and boarded at barns where someone had to be on the farm overnight every night in case there was an emergency, but obviously not the same groom every night. I was curious if your farm requires that and, if so, how it is handled scheduling and pay wise...

If you live on site, do you have a private apartment or do you share it with other grooms?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by half seat; Jul. 21, 2010, 08:53 PM.

grooms

OP

Originally posted by half seat View Post
    I'm working on a business plan and was curious to know how other barns handle groom schedules and duties. If any of the grooms, BOs, or BMs out there would be willing to answer these questions here or by PM, I'd greatly appreciate it! If you would like to indicate where in the country your barn is, great. If you prefer not to, no problem.

I'm curious to know how many horses each groom is responsible for on a daily basis and what your duties are -- i.e,. is it just stalls, feeding, sweeping aisle, and general barn chores -- or does it involve full care, grooming, tacking, wrapping, cooling out, etc. as well?

Are there other staff on site who have different duties? (If so, what?)

General answer to all your questions, IT DEPENDS.

Business owner usually offers what they can afford to offer. If you can afford to hire people just for land maintenance, mowing, fence painting, etc. then you do. Otherwise, if $ is tight, business owners usually try to get as much out of each employee as they can.

How many hours per day and days per week do you work?
    At nice barns with nice $ and nice clients grooms often work 9 hour days, maybe 7:30 or 8-4, or something similar, with a break for lunch.

How much vacation time do you get (paid or unpaid)?

Fancy barns with $ (often private) OR a business that is large enough, may offer paid vacation, or a combo of some paid and some unpaid. Smaller businesses, less money, etc, zippo.

How are your duties covered on your days off? Do the other grooms on the property cover the horses or is there a PT staff on those days?

Varies. Often grooms rotate so they take turns feeding on Mondays. If you are lucky enough to be in a town with a equine college, you can have a supply of part timers, and your staff can get a REAL day off.

If you don't mind sharing, what is the compensation? (salary, hourly wage, housing + wage?) If you mind sharing the type of accomodations or the actual wage, I would appreciate it. I understand if you want to keep it private, though.

Varies. A LOT. Not uncommon for $200/6 day week, maybe with workman's comp but no health insurance. Maybe cash. At that price, you have to house them, they can't afford to pay rent... $300 range very common, often with housing also. Without housing, you need to pay people about $600/week in my area. Unless you have a steady supply of young folks living with their parents or boyfriends.

Much depends upon how skilled you need these people to be. Do they need to speak English ?? Do they need to be really skilled with recognizing illness, injury, etc ? Drive a tractor ? Drive a trailer to shows ? Or do they just need to knock the dust off, clip, tack, rinse and repeat ?

If you live on site, is it required that you sleep on the farm every work night in case there is an emergency? (i.e., you wouldn't stay over a friend's or boyfriend's house so you could be there in the event of an emergency?)

You do know that slavery has been outlawed, right ??

If you live on site, do you have a private apartment or do you share it with other grooms?

Depends on what farm owner has available. Do they want to keep help long term ? Or do they not mind rotating staff every 6-12 months ?

Thanks in advance.
    "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for your thorough response and thanks to those who sent me a FM.

I know it all depends on the particular business. What I'm interested in, though, is how different farms handle their staff, scheduling, etc.

As for your slavery comment, I obviously wasn't clear in what I was getting at... Rereading it, what I wrote was incredibly unclear, actually, so I'm sorry for that. I've worked at and boarded at barns where someone had to be on the farm overnight every night in case there was an emergency, but obviously not the same groom every night. I was curious if farms require that and, if so, how it is handled... I edited the OP to be clear, as the way I wrote it the first time, it just completely came out wrong.

Comment

Here's a story about the change of times! Back in "the old days" - about 30 years ago - I was a full time groom. We never considered it slavery....we considered it DUTY.

I was paid $75 a week and a room for a six day work week. Seven if one of "my" horses needed me. There was a barn manager and between us we worked out extra duty time if one of us wanted to have some vacation or stay out over night. It was basically a 24 hour a day job from hand picking the hay out of the gravel courtyard to mucking, all care, and some riding. We worked with young race babies and the owner had show hunters too. Generally the barn manager went to the shows and I had home duty. There were from 4 to eight horses each with one person doing all duty on the other's day off. I'd say that without emergencies I'd be up at six and finished with basic day chores by seven at night. Night barn chores were shared.

Funny - I never felt overused. I was trained to work this way as a working student for a top notch farm and it was simply that the horses were most important. I couldn't physically do that kind of day now but back then it was easy to do.

Comment

Slavery/duty whatever you want to call it without much pay is one reason that illegals are very common in the horse industry.

Comment

I can't touch this subject or I'll get really upset...

Comment

I just wanted to add, that at my barn, there are guys who clean stalls, feed, water and bring horses in and out (T/O). I've also seen them doing grounds maintenance. Then there are the guys who only groom. They have horses ready to ride, groom and put them away, bathe, clip, pull manes, clean tack, and will lunge or hand-walk. These are the same guys who go to the shows. Sometimes one guy will pitch in if someone's absent, but the two jobs are separate.

Comment

Sent you a PM.
                "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Comment

It varies as per need of barn.

Originally posted by half seat View Post

I'm curious to know how many horses each groom is responsible for on a daily basis and what your duties are -- i.e,. is it just stalls, feeding, sweeping aisle, and general barn chores -- or does it involve full care, grooming, tacking, wrapping, cooling out, etc. as well? Full care- stalls, tack up/down, bathe, wrap legs if needed.

Are there other staff on site who have different duties? (If so, what?) One non horse staff to maintain the place.

How many hours per day and days per week do you work? Busy season- 7 mornings and 5 afternoons. 7am-1pm and then 3-5pm. Longer if farrier/vet is there.
                  Slow season - 5 full days. 7am-1pm and then 5-6pm.

How much vacation time do you get (paid or unpaid)? Unpaid as needed. Usually 2-4 weeks during slow season. One groom takes 5 months every summer to work elsewhere and comes back for busy time in fall/winter.

How are your duties covered on your days off? Do the other grooms on the property cover the horses or is there a PT staff on those days? Other grooms cover work

If you don't mind sharing, what is the compensation? (salary, hourly wage, housing + wage?) If you mind sharing the type of accomodations or the actual wage, I would appreciate it. I understand if you want to keep it private, though. Both with and without housing are used. Obviously less salary if housing provided.

This question EDITED FOR CLARITY: If you live on site, is it required that a groom sleep on the premises every night (as opposed to at a friend's house, e.g.)? I've worked at and boarded at barns where someone had to be on the farm overnight every night in case there was an emergency, but obviously not the same groom every night. I was curious if your farm requires that and, if so, how it is handled scheduling and pay wise... Overnight not required, as farm owner/manager lives on site. Employees w/housing are required to stay overnight in if owner is out of town. That duty is included/expected in the salary.

If you live on site, do you have a private apartment or do you share it with other grooms? Housing is private. Though it's best to hire a few that are friends so they can bunk together and all can live on site. Works best for everyone involved.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                  X