• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Oh no! Did I insult my BO?? Ungood!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no! Did I insult my BO?? Ungood!!

First: I adore my BO. I really, really do. She is sweet and sincere, and not only is she a good horsewoman but she is a good person.

I have boarded with her twice, once with my old mare Aisha and a prospect. Aisha was, of course, the most perfect angel horse ever...the prospect less so, but cute enough to get away with most of it. When I first started boarding, evil prospect chewed on some brand new boards which I immediately began coating with Quit and other nasty concoctions until she, well, quit. I always kept everything clean, and ALWAYS paid on time.

When Aisha got sick, BO felt horrible and that she was at fault (she wasn't). And when I lost Aisha, BO cried with me.

I got rid of the no-longer-evil-now-much-loved-at-new-home prospect and left on good terms with BO.

Aaaand, more than a year later, emailed about boarding with new pony. Not only did she say yes, but she moved one of her personal horses to make room for me. And when the date got moved around a couple days, she was fine with it and didn't even let me pay pro-rate for the early days.

So, to the insult part: Sometimes when I come out, she hasn't picked the two or three piles of manure in Pink's run (paddocks are attached to runs which are attached to stalls, and horses are locked in runs/stalls at night). Whenever this happens, I'll grab up those couple of piles. I did the same thing when I had Aisha there, because...well...because. It's there.

Today she called me and asked if I had, because she thought she remembered seeing two piles in there this morning. I said I had, and she said that I paid her to do that. She was VERY nice about it and sort of laughing. I told her that no, I don't pay her to do that, I pay her to watch my pony when I can't and take care of her, but if she wanted I could stop? She said no, just that I didn't need to do it. She is just so nice, I can't tell if she was trying to tell me to stop...?

Am I insulting her by doing this? Somehow I think I am, and I feel bad. I don't mean to imply that I do it better, or that I think it should have already been done, because neither of those are the case...but I think now that it may have come off this way. Oh no!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Don't worry your pretty little head about this for one minute more! It does not sound to me like she was offended at all. She probably just wondered where the poop went! And/or she really likes you and wants to make sure you don't think you have to do it.

I get out to the barn late every night...hours after the last stall/paddock picking. I almost always pick up any in-between deposits. I always have and always will, so I know exactly where you are coming from. The manure is there and so am I...I could leave it but I could also pick it up and so I do!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Comment

Well, now, as a very small time boarding barn (think, one other horse) and as someone who boards their other horse away from home and likes to do what the OP does....because I can, I want to, and it's there...there is another take on this.

As a BO, I worry when my BDR cleans up...does she think I'm doing a crappy job with the crap? Is it not clean/right/nice/finished/etc?? I like to worry. I'm also a neat freak in the barn. I get paranoid.

So, dear OP, I'd reassure your BO that she's doing a bang up job, and you just want to give her a hand, you're not "judging" her efforts. Sometimes, we nice BOs need some reassurance from our dear BRDrs
      Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

She may also keep track of how much each horse is pooping. No poop piles may be a bit alarming to her, especially if she is as conciencious as she sounds.

Comment

TheJenners, you have a great BO! You are fortunate. I once (briefly) boarded in a place where the owner had evicted someone for removing one poop from their horse's stall. Everyone was so spooked about being evicted over that that no one even thought about doing the same in the turnouts. Guess it must have turned into magical fertilizer out there or something.

You are a very nice boarder.
          "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

Well, if she is anything like me (I am a BO) she probably really appreciates it but is maybe a bit paranoid just from trying to keep everyone happy and wanting things to be right. In other words, she may be worried you are unhappy when you are not and was just checking.

While I don't do any of the labor at my barn anymore I no get a little nervous when I see someone doing their own stall, I wonder f it is not beng done to their satisfaction or something. Usually I will just say "Was everything ok w/Blazes stall? I dont want you to have to do it" It is usually a case of "I was here and did it...or I washed him and was picking his stall while he dried" But by asking at least they know I am paying attention and opens the door to a conversation if they feel it is not up to snuff.

Comment

I have had this very same interaction with 2 BO/ BMs where I've boarded. My current one 'yell's at me for mucking my horse's stall. I'm stingy on removing shavings... just am looking for *anything* horse related that quantifies as exercise.

He'd come out to the barn, scolding me. What on earth are you doing? WHY are you picking? That's what YOU pay ME for!

I reiterate nicely that I need the exercise, that I find it therapeutic and that I want to be a contributing member of the barn, not just someone who comes to play with her horsey, then disappears.

He's countered with the fact that he pays someone to pick (it's his son who's learning responsibility)... so I've stopped. But it had gotten a little dicey there. I too was worried I was offending. But we've seemed to come to an understanding.

I also buy him a bottle of his favorite wine regularly. And express my gratitude whenever I'm able. I love my BO & his facility..

Comment

Hmmm...must be a Connecticut thing. LOL!
                "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

I don't think you did. I bet she was just wondering where the poop had gone.
                  Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel View Post
                    She may also keep track of how much each horse is pooping. No poop piles may be a bit alarming to her, especially if she is as conciencious as she sounds.
                    Agree. She also might be making sure the horse - I hate this but I have seen them do it - wasn't EATING the poop. Gross, yuck, but.....

Comment

Just reassure her that you love her barn and her care for your horse. Sounds like she was just checking that you are still happy there and that you know she saw the poop and would have removed it for you. NICE BO you've got there.

A friend of mine was unhappy with how her stall looked after the BM cleaned it in the mornings, so friend started just picking through it and getting out a few stragglers and wet spots that had been left behind when she came out in the afternoons. When BM realized what was going on, she stopped cleaning my friend's stall! She would leave it dirty because she knew my friend would clean it for her!! Friend actually put up with it for a full month before having a heated discussion with BM and now things are back up to par.

A conversation between the two much earlier would have avoided that whole situation, so be happy the lines of communication between you and your BO are open! Good luck.

Comment

I'm sure she was just worried about whether pony was pooping or not. Very vigiliant BO! Good on her.

Boy, I wish I had majikally disappearing poop
                        ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

I was thinking this as well. Which makes an awesome BO in my mind

I don't think you insulted her at all.

What is insulting is when all the stalls in the barn are clean, freshly beeded, clean water and because there is one pile of poop in the stall a hour later the boarder goes in to clean the entire stall again + give un necessary bedding. Ugg, glad she stopped that !!!

Sounds like you have a GREAT BO

Comment

• Original Poster

I do, you guys! I heart my BO.

Due to vacancies, my BF's mare is boarded about seven minutes down the road. It's also a super nice facility, turnout is about five times bigger per horse, larger barn, washrack etc etc...and he still wishes there was room at my place for his mare. I just don't ever want to upset her...

...I think I might get her a card.
                            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Bake her some cookies. Everyone loves cookies.
                              Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

I would not worry about it at all! I always pick my horse's stall when I'm at the barn, and I board at a full-service facility with my horse on full training board. Heck, even if the guys just cleaned it, if my horse poops, I will pick up that one poop, ha ha!

It all sort of started when my horse was on stall rest. I would come clean at night so that he had a nice place to lay down. He was also developing some thrush from the stall rest despite the fact that the barn staff actually does clean the stalls twice daily.

I did talk to the BO and the stall cleaning guys before I started doing it. I just said that they do a great job but that I like to pick my horse's stall before I leave each day. I asked where they would like me to put the poop and they asked that I just put it in a corner of the stall near the front so that they (a) know he has, indeed, been pooping despite his pristine stall, and (b) can easily remove it when they clean in the morning. Win-win for everyone.

Sometimes the guys joke with me/each other about how they didn't do a good enough job cleaning my horse's stall (they do a FANTASTIC job - way better than me!). I usually just agree that, yes, in the future they should just stand behind my horse all day waiting for him to poop so that they can catch it before it hits the ground, or, alternatively, reach up in there and be proactive about it, lol.

So, really, really don't worry about it. You could maybe just mention to the BO that she does an awesome job and that you have no complaints, but that you just can't help but pick up a pile if you happen to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post

...I think I might get her a card.
                                  Does Hallmark make a card for that?
                                  Originally posted by BigMama1
                                  Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I know when I took boarders, I did feel a bit discombobulated when boarders would pick for this reason. I always felt it my duty to know each horse's pooping habits. I mostly learned to live with it, but did request of new boarders that they refrain from this during the first month of boarding so that I could learn the new horses' habits and be able to flag the owners on any changes ASAP.
                                    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                                    -Albert Camus

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                      Does Hallmark make a card for that?
                                      Duh, it's in the "Sorry I picked up horse poop and perhaps suggested your care was less than optimal" section.
                                      Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Originally posted by arizona101 View Post
                                        Well, if she is anything like me (I am a BO) she probably really appreciates it but is maybe a bit paranoid just from trying to keep everyone happy and wanting things to be right. In other words, she may be worried you are unhappy when you are not and was just checking.
                                        This, plus I like to know that the horses are pooping.

As a side note, all too often people try to "help" by cleaning their own stall but instead they make a mess of the aisle, leave forks where they don't belong, throw away huge amounts of clean bedding, or do other weird things. (This doesn't at all sound like it applies here.) Though I appreciate people wanting to be involved in their horse's care, generally it's easier if they let us take care of the stuff we're supposed to take care of.

Comment

Working...
                                        X