• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Gentle reminder of hunt field etiquette (and I'm probably as guilty as the next person . . .)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentle reminder of hunt field etiquette (and I'm probably as guilty as the next person . . .)

Rode out with a big group last hunt. Chose to go hilltoppers as my DD was riding out on my new horse who has only seen four hunts and has yet to be invited up. Both horses were well mannered, responsive, and kept a good distance between themselves and horses around them. While my horse was dead quiet,, the new horse did do some fidgeting at checks (foot shuffling, bit chomping, nothing more) and jigged a bit when he should have been walking. However, from the start, an older member --as in probably 70s --felt it was her task to tell my DD how to ride this horse.

The older member sought DD out rode beside her when possible and gave her a non-stop lecture on how to ride. The older member explained in long winded detail horse psychology, proper riding technique, training methods, and had infinite suggestions on what my DD should be doing. DD was polite in return, listened, and tried to ride away from the older member. No matter how many times we switched places to put me between DD and older member, the woman would find away to ride up beside DD and continue her instructions --but here's the rub --DD is a professional --a good one --one who has taken many horses from untrained to soaring over CC courses at the Intermediate level. To my eye --DD was doing a great job of riding the horse quietly in a new situation. He was willing, calm, and kept his mind on his work. At no time did he become unglued --he was just a bit nervous --however, my point is -- one does not train or instruct on the hunt field. The older member should not have been giving advice, lessons, or her vast insight on all things horse-related.

Secondly, when hunting, one is supposed to keep the conversation to a minimum --while pointing to a fox and shouting "Tally Ho!" is acceptable, other conversations should be held at checks or at the club house after the hunt. But how does a young member say to an older member --"Zip it!"

As I said, I am not without fault and have at times (ok, many times) be admonished by the hilltop leader to keep quiet ( I do tend to talk to my horse). But honestly, if you see yourself as one of those people who, while hunting, is offering advise to others --and no one asked you for help --then maybe you should wait until someone does.

And there will (sadly) for me not be an opportunity to implement any suggestions on what DD should have done or should do in the future to forestall unwanted advise on the hunt field . DD lives far from me and does not have an opportunity to ride out with me often. As for me, no one gives me advise on the hunt field --either they have given up thinking anything can improve my riding or I'm too hard of hearing to know when someone is giving me suggestions.

Wow, that's so annoying. Perhaps the older member is approaching senility?? So sorry that your experience hunting with your DD was spoiled by this person. I sympathize because I have a particular horror of being cornered by aggressively "conversational" people in situations when I'm trying to mind my own business!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I thought that was possible, too BeeHoney, that the older member had earned her colors and was forever delightfully tolerated chit-chat and all. And I hope that some day, I will be that member (the old one, delightfully tolerated). Since this was not my usual group --I did notice the hilltop leader turned a blind eye or a deaf ear to the chatting --just thought it was something we all could improve on --as I said, I'm often admonished for talking to my horse --at least, I think it's me that's talking, maybe Mr. Ed is talking to me!

Comment

What BeeHoney said. I'm sorry that overbearing old person behaved so badly. I don't know why some old people think that age gives them the right to lecture younger people. I had something similar happen to me just this morning -- not horse-related but just as inappropriate and frustrating. "Sharing one's wisdom" is one thing, when it's asked for, and in appropriate settings. But as you said, Foxglove, this was not an appropriate setting; not only was this woman being rude, she could have put a less-experienced rider at risk.

And what can be done about it? Hopefully someone will chime in with some suggestions on how to respond in such a situation. "Gentle reminders" just don't work on know-it-alls.
        "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

If I may, I will take the liberty of adding on to the OP's gentle recommendations by gently suggesting that adult riders use their words, at the time of an issue. A rider, a friend of the rider or, once alerted to the situation, the hilltop leader, could perhaps have corrected this at the time, maturely and directly.

As in, [Eye contact] "Thank you, but I am riding my horse in the way that I know works best for him. Also, I prefer to refrain from conversation while in the field. I hope you don't mind. Thank you again." [Eye contact.]

Then the rest of the ride can be redeemed, rather than allowing someone else to ruin one's day out. This is why there are rules. But if we are having a bad ride due to someone else not following the rules, and we say nothing, nothing changes.

As a complete aside, anyone who assumes that I am senile in my 70s (I'm mid-50s now, so the 70s are not that far away), might be meeting Jesus a whole lot sooner than I will. Just saying. :-)

Comment

Agreed, assuming an "older" person is senile or bordering just because they're older than we are is unrealistic and unkind.

But for a hilltop leader to "shush" OP and not this older person is discriminatory.

And having earned one's colors gives one the responsibility of behaving appropriately, not of taking advantage of one's privilege by chatting and distracting -- even annoying -- other riders.
            Last edited by RPM; Oct. 16, 2017, 09:57 PM.
            "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Next time, you need to get between them and introduce DD to the elder member and stress her professional credentials in your introduction.
              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Originally posted by SharonA View Post
                If I may, I will take the liberty of adding on to the OP's gentle recommendations by gently suggesting that adult riders use their words, at the time of an issue. A rider, a friend of the rider or, once alerted to the situation, the hilltop leader, could perhaps have corrected this at the time, maturely and directly.

As in, [Eye contact] "Thank you, but I am riding my horse in the way that I know works best for him. Also, I prefer to refrain from conversation while in the field. I hope you don't mind. Thank you again." [Eye contact.]
                Lol, 99% of COTH advice posts are essentially requests for information on how adult riders can resolve issues they encounter without having to use their words, and especially not at the time of the issue.
                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Original Poster

meupatdoes --you make an excellent point. Generally when I ask for an opinion on COTH or advice it is to avoid what I fear may turn into a conflict. Sometimes (about half) I am told by COTH folks that I am in the wrong --that the issue is not important or the conduct not expected by the majority who take the time to respond (ex, should people who ride in my trailer at my invitation remove their own horse's poop when unloaded at their stable or venue). And often there is the statement "grow a backbone" --but what I appreciate most is suggested dialogue --when a long-time riding friend WOULD NOT stay off her phone during long hauls (hour -hour and a half), kind COTH members helped me address the annoyance by giving me exact words to use that were kind but addressed the issue. I used what was suggested and for the most part, the issue was somewhat resolved (did happen one more time, but I repeated the phrase and hasn't happened since.) I appreciate what people tell me on the BB --even when I don't agree with it --I think COTH want to help even if it is to tell me to grow a spine!

Comment

I think we can all use a reminder that just like no one learns something new in the schooling area before the class, no one makes big changes in their riding or training out in the hunt field.

I was out on a very reactive OTTB and we were going through a rough field with tall grass and briars, and horse was humping his back every time something hit his belly. A well-meaning member rode up beside me and said - "Be careful, honey - he looks like he's going to go up."

Ya think? And what do you suggest I do about it? Teleport outta here?

Again, well and kindly meant, just not terribly useful in the moment.
                    Last edited by McGurk; Oct. 17, 2017, 01:32 PM.
                    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Original Poster

McGurk --you made me laugh out loud --"Teleport otta here!" My FIL was the WORST for the "learn something new in the schooling area before the class" advise/instruction to my daughters when they were first starting out. We would have worked all summer on diagonals and posting, hand position, seat, heels down, tight knees --and then off to a tiny show with their sparkling clean horses. And then Grandpa would show up with Grandma in tow.

The girls adored them --they so wanted to do well while they watched --but always, Grandpa would march into the schooling ring, and start the litany of "do this, do that" --none of it terribly useful and way too much at one time to process. He'd adjust stirrups, hand position, posture and then, overwhelmed, the little girls would go into the ring and try their best to do as he'd said --when things went well --he took credit: "See, when you listen to me, you win!" --when things didn't go well, he told them, "You should have listened to what I told you." --his last minute advice, in my mind, was self-aggrandizement --he was Superman coming in at the last minute to save the world --and if it didn't get saved, not his fault, kid didn't listen. Oh, and FIL background in horses? None.

Eventually, DH started heading him off before he got to the ring --but FIL was one of those people who you know loves us, but can't seem to find the best way to express it --at least he came to their little shows and was interested.

Comment

Ugh. I really truly believe that everyone should keep their eyes on their own paper unless someone is creating a dangerous situation for others. In which case, your duty is to report that to the field master.

I once brought with me to a hound walking session, a lady from my barn who spent years galloping on the track for some esteemed trainers including several Derby winners and contenders. She's really pretty awesome.

At one point, her horse got a little fresh but nothing she couldn't handle. Another hunt member, who isn't the strongest rider by any means (2nd or 3rd field) proceeded to give her a "lesson" on how to ride and canter across a hill. God bless my friend - she just turned to her and said, "yeah, I got this." Later, I filled in the member on my friend's credentials. She was embarrassed to say the least. Needless to say, she got the lesson that day.

Comment

SharonA, I think senility is a more forgivable flaw than being deliberately unkind. Yes, it is cruel to follow a young person around that you don't know and berate them with unasked for and unhelpful advice.

If you were going to say something at the time, I'd choose to fight fire with fire...introduce yourself and your daughter and then start on a long winded brag about your daughter and her equestrian accomplishments, etc, then wrap up by kindly pointing out what a lucky mother you are to have her with you for such a short visit and to have this ONE single day to hunt with her.

Comment

Originally posted by SharonA View Post

As a complete aside, anyone who assumes that I am senile in my 70s (I'm mid-50s now, so the 70s are not that far away), might be meeting Jesus a whole lot sooner than I will. Just saying. :-)
                            I'm also in my 50s, but didn't find the suggestion insulting. It is certainly possible that there is some sort mild dementia starting to happen in this person that is causing cognitive impairment. One would have to know whether her personality has changed, or if she's always been a chatter-box and a busy-body.

Comment

Isn't this the perfect application for the good ol' "Bless your heart!"?

Comment

well, there is a phenomena with older folks that's called disinhibition. Not senility at all, in the sense that they aren't forgetting things or not making sense. But rather that they lose a filter or can no longer be bothered to have a filter. I feel like our filters get more and more astute as we move from being rattly teens through adult hood, especially if we have jobs that require tact. Then at a certain point, they start to get less firm.

The topic came up when friend was discussing her father and his friends in retirement homes. People get more wiling to be raunchy, to swear, to say what they think, compared to how they were 30 years earlier. Perhaps it is an early sign of the aging brain but it isn't senility at all as we think of it.

Also lots of older people get a little isolated, and want to chatter endlessly.

Comment

I don't have much to add to what's already been covered here; my only suggestion, should DD find herself in this pickle again, would be to say to the long-winded member "I don't want to get in trouble for talking in the field...perhaps you could find me at the breakfast and we'll chat then?". Although it sounds as though that might not have worked.

Comment

I'm surprised that someone who is a regular member of the hunt would try to talk so much during the actual hunt. Last time I went hunting, people weren't chatty at all. I don't think I recall much being spoken except when one person got called out for not turning their cell phone off (it rang during a check)
                                    Last edited by SnicklefritzG; Oct. 21, 2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

If totally ignoring the chatty know-it-all (regardless of age) wasn't enough of a hint to shake her off, wouldn't a polite, "Please stop talking" be sufficient? No need to explain DD's credentials, make introductions or anything else...

The above statement works well when unwanted advice is offered during show ring warm up, trailer-loading and just about any other stressful difficulty that is encountered with horses
                                      Savor those rides where you feel like a million bucks, because there will be those where you feel like a cheap date...

Comment

Originally posted by Lusoluv View Post
                                        If totally ignoring the chatty know-it-all (regardless of age) wasn't enough of a hint to shake her off, wouldn't a polite, "Please stop talking" be sufficient? No need to explain DD's credentials, make introductions or anything else...

The above statement works well when unwanted advice is offered during show ring warm up, trailer-loading and just about any other stressful difficulty that is encountered with horses
                                        I think it would be rude and ill-advised for a new member or guest to tell and older- and established member of the hunt what to do.

I know it seems odd in the 21st century US of A, particularly with the crass and outspoken person we put into the Oval Office (because, so many voters said, "they didn't always like what he said, but they liked it that he said it".... but! The hunt field is one of those throw-back, uber-hierarchical places. It doesn't matter what the established member does wrong: the younger and newbie is supposed to be polite in response.

And the hierarchy being All, if you have a problem with that member that amounts to a non-petty issue, you "go to the proper authority" which is the Master of whatever field you are in.

That's all, no more, no less. And no saying nothing and nursing a grudge or schooling someone on the interwebz after the fact anonymously.
                                        The armchair saddler
                                        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                        X