• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 2/8/18)
See more
See less

Attire for blazing hot weather - suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attire for blazing hot weather - suggestions?

Working on getting my kit together for cub hunting and I know it will be blazing hot when hunting starts. I'm a newbie and really want to be respectful of the sport and properly turned out. All of the coats I've seen for cub hunting are wool. Is it permissible to wear one of the lighter, soft shell type show coats - perhaps in a green or brown color? How about a linen cotton tweed from a non- equestrian manufacturer? There are three button Ralph Lauren coats out there that look to my eye exactly like hunt coats but must be much cooler since they are not wool. I know wool tweed is traditional but passing out from heat stroke seems suboptimal. Thanks!
    Last edited by RollingHillRider; Oct. 2, 2017, 05:48 AM. Reason: Edited due to commentary on title

In my hunt, the shoft shell coats would be frowned upon (but ask your masters), but we are allowed to wear regular-weight show coats for cubbing. I have a wool tweed, but I also have a polyester blend brown hunt coat.

We also tend to relax the coat rule for cubbing--because it is so hot. We have club-branded polo shirts that are approved for wear once the masters make the call for the season. Ratcatcher attire is always correct for cubbing with us, but polos are much more comfortable. Perhaps your hunt has a similar rule?

Comment

Battle Creek Hunt Club members vie for the most dashing and daring hunt attire during cubbing. Linen hunt coats in muted shades with pastel stock ties have been seen, as have khaki coats with paisley ties. My own attire is a wonderfully cool (in both uses of the word) Madras plaid coat, rust breeches, dark green stock tie and matching shirt worn with New Market boots (canvas uppers, leather foot). I have posted the (long and dull) story of how when I was 15 I acquired this outfit (shirt is new, everything else is from 1967), but I have worn the same outfit for cubbing for 50 years. Of course cubbing is a short season for us, only four cubbing hunts before formal season starts. Therefore, my to-die-for cubbing outfit has been worn only about 100 times. I do have a picture if you want to see what a 1967 cubbing outfit looks like!

Comment

"Therefore, my to-die-for cubbing outfit has been worn only about 100 times. I do have a picture if you want to see what a 1967 cubbing outfit looks like!"
        Yes please!!! That would be awesome!!!
        Last edited by KittyinAus; Aug. 1, 2017, 12:55 AM. Reason: I stuffed up the quote.

Comment

Story behind this cubbing outfit (posted this before). I was 15 and had been asked to ride out with the local hunt because my ma knew a "friend of a friend." Ma told me I could have "one riding outfit." I agonized over what to buy. Ma explained the difference between formal and informal attire. In my 15 year old pea-brain, I thought, "If I ride in formal attire at a cub meet, everyone will think I only have formal attire." As a result, I bought, head to toe, informal attire --brown velvet helmet, ratcatcher, Madras plaid jacket (it was 1967), rust breeches and New Market boots. And I went cubbing --I THOUGHT I would ride so splendidly and dazzle the club, I would be invited to join and in my dream world, some how outfitted in the formal attire I needed. Of course that didn't happen. I rode with them once, and then never again. As an adult, I joined many hunts, became a MFH and continue to ride out every season. However, the cubbing outfit comes out every season --maybe just to remind me that hunting isn't about what other people think. It's about you and your horse. Because ma could only afford one riding outfit, I had to wear the cubbing outfit at every horse show until at 24, I was skilled enough to sew myself a black coat. Had I not been so immature, I would have had a lovely black coat,canary breeches, and black boots to wear during those 9 years of being the one rider in the ring wearing plaid.
          Last edited by Foxglove; Aug. 1, 2017, 08:34 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Polo shirts in Georgia.
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Foxglove I am not only impressed by that plaid, but also by the fact that you can still fit in it all these years later!

Comment

Ecileh, I recall at 15 feeling big and fat in the elephant ear breeches, but loving the adult fit and feel of the tailored jacket. Now elephant ear breeches are making a come back, but not sure we will ever see the return of the Madras hunt coat!

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
                  Story behind this cubbing outfit (posted this before).
                  Thank you for posting this. I love it and am keenly jealous of the fact that it still fits.

Comment

KittyinAus --somehow the elephant ear bulge in the thigh that seemed so huge when I was 15 has become smaller. Might be that my thighs have become bigger? Maybe that was the entire point of the style!!! LOL!

Comment

Elephant ears were required before stretchy fabrics were available, so that you didn't get painful legs.
                      ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

I would also suggest double checking with your hunt to see if other options are appropriate when the weather is hot. In my region, the cubbing season encompasses a mix of very hot weather into pretty cool weather. When it is still hot we are permitted to wear polos or other collared shirts. Many opt for a nice technical type fabric polo that is in our hunt colors with the logo tastefully embroidered on the front.

Comment

Love the madras plaid and the story! Beloved old items with history IMO are the backbone of beautiful hunt field style!

FWIW, no one wants you to pass out from heat stroke. Double check about the polo shirts (often worn for cub hunting in hot weather), or, in a pinch you can show up with your jacket, then before the hunt sets off toss it back in the truck and hunt in your shirtsleeves and vest. Or, ride in a lightweight show jacket that is made out of wool. I've never worn a technical fabric show jacket hunting, I think that would look out of place, plus I'm worried I'd wreck it.

Comment

Foxglove, you sound like a lovely person, and a real character. "Hunting isn't about what other people think. It's about you and your horse" – this should part of every club's mandate.

Comment

You are kind LesleyW. I do wish I'd figured out that hunting wasn't about what others thought before I latched on to the Madras coat and did some other down right embarrassing things trying to be "cool" in front of a group of people who just wanted to enjoy riding to the hounds. But I did have good company in my (wayward) youth on the hunt field. There were four of us young whippers-in -we were terribly competitive and naughty--you know --loosen the girth on the other whip's horse while the other whip is answering a call of nature --then shout "there's the pack" and ride off like mad as the other fellow tries to mount --yeah, a real thigh-slapper that one! But one thing we four did was try to be the first one into the club after the hounds were safely back in the kennel --and that involved some daring and skill --while riding back to the stable, one quietly loosens one's own girth, cavetson, and bridle --breast collar too if using one. Then, just in sight of the stable, slip behind the saddle, lift it on to the arm (you are now riding bareback holding the saddle) and at the last minute before the horse enters the stable, slide off with the bridle in your other hand. My good mare used to take herself to her stall while I put my tack away. I'd shut her door on the way out of the stable --and be the first one into the clubhouse. I saw a video once of RCMP doing a similar trick --only at the end performance the Mounties were shirtless, too! One of those whippers-in continues to whip to this day in my current hunt club --she's 66 --we no longer vie for "first into the club!"

Comment

Wow, I'm shaking my head in awe. My proudest moment was jumping a small rail... without spilling my stirrup cup :-)

Comment

LesleyW the one time I tried to jump a small rail in front of a crowd at the Blessing of the Hounds, I fell off. But I whistled for my mare, and she trotted back to me (more likely, she trotted back to the other horses standing around). It was the one and only time she ever came to a whistle unless I was holding a feed bucket.

Comment

I am going to show my age - AGAIN - but does anyone else remember "salt-sack" jackets? A white linen coat for summer riding and cubbing?

I remember them being worn with colored or patterned stocks/ascots.

Nowadays, in my part of the world, dark colored polo shirts with breeches and boots are acceptable for cubbing.
                                    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

In the past 4 years my hunt has gone to Polo shirts for September hunts and I admit it has taken me some time to get use to that change. Ratcatcher attire is allowed but only a few wear that in September. They are also flexible on the Autumn hunting jacket. Conservative color, nicely fitted even if it is a street jacket and not off the rack from a tack store. I think that is nice because once Formal Hunting starts we do not wear Ratcatcher attire for any more hunts so at best one is looking at a months worth of hunts in Ratcatcher attire. That takes the pressure off someone starting out to secure a second "real" coat right off the bat. I've been around long enough that I have two informal jackets- a light weight beige striped one from a consignment shop that was a show ring coat and a wool one from Horse Country. I would KILL to find a linen riding jacket!!!

Comment

I wish you would correct the thread title from "Clubbing" to "Cubbing" which I'm sure is what you mean.
                                        Clubbing just sounds so brutal...

Comment

Working...
                                        X