• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do I get started?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get started?

I'm an eventer...but I'm interested in trying fox hunting. I'm new to the area (Minneapolis, MN) and I'm never hunted before. How do I find out about my local(ish) hunts (I'd be willing to travel)...and how do I get invited? What etiquette does my horse need to have before he is hunt-worthy?

Hi NS

I am both an eventer and a fox hunter. Glad to hear you are interested. The MFHA, our national association has a geographical list of recognized hunts on their website, go to http://www.mfha.com/memb.htm

A lot of hunts have websites that can give you info on how to get started etc. The other parts of the MFHA website has general information about the sport.

In your part of the country many hunts may be close to the end of their season, some start up again in the spring. Many do summer trail rides or other activities which are a great way to introduce horses (and people) to the sport.

If you can't find info that helps you get started, send me a PT and I will try to track down other info for you.

The biggest horse preparation issue is usually having a horse that will behave well in a group. The group dynamics of galloping and jumping as a group gets some horses wound up. These can certainly be true among horses that are bold enough and competitive enough to be great event horses.

As you get started, don't be dismayed if he gets wound up his first few hunts. Many horses will settle into it after 5-10 hunts
    Last edited by Mudroom; Dec. 12, 2007, 10:41 PM.

Comment

And as mudroom can attest by both his eventing performances and his success at the Centenial Field Hunter Championships, the benefits of doing both are quite good.

Comment

Check out the Long Lake Hounds. http://www.longlakehounds.org/ I think it is the only hunt in MN. I've never hunted with them (I've never hunted, period), but my trainer mentioned them. I'd like to try hunting with them some day ... maybe when I get done with college.

Comment

I have a good friend in Minnesota who is a dedicated foxhunter and eventer, and she travels a lot, for both. If you want to send me a PM I can dig out her contact info.

Comment

Once you find the hunts in your area, call or write the secretary and ask their policy on capping. Many hunts welcome guests that then pay a capping fee. Sometimes you are assigned a host or mentor to show you the ropes and go with you for the first few times.

Your horse needs to be OK around the hounds. They can suddenly come from behind and get quite close. It is the cardinal sin of hunting for a horse to kick a hound. He needs to stand quietly at checks (although there is always some latitude here, it is nice if they dont act like a nut). He need to not have any phobias that will separate him from the group (bridges, cows, water -depends on where you are, what you will encounter). He needs to be able to jump right behind other horses and still be rateable, and gallop in a group with being able to pull up if needed. You might experiment with the galloping part with a group before you actually hunt to make sure you have enough bit. Its NOT the same as XC.

I have done a little eventing and hunted the horses that I competed and several good friends and quite a few members of our hunt have horses that do double-duty in the hunt field and eventing. Out of a good number of horses, I know of only one that couldnt hunt; he was an OTTB that was just too competitive. Most event horses will be brave and fit and LOVE hunting. good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for the link to the Long Lake Hounds. I read through their website and loved all their photos. Looks like an absolute blast. It looks like they're done for the season, but their photos showed trail rides and cubbing through summer and early fall -- I'll contact the secretary next spring to find out how to get involved. In the meantime I'll be bringing the pony along (he's a 3/4 TB 1/4 Clyde) and starting him with trail riding and horse trials this spring. I'll have to determine how he reacts to hounds -- although if geese are any indication he doesn't seem bothered by those...

Comment

How do you discover whether your horse is ok around hounds?

Comment

Getting Started

Read (and enjoy!) Rita Mae Brown's series of foxhunting novels. The first is tiltled Outfoxed.
                  They are entertaining and very informative.

Comment

Originally posted by halla View Post
                    How do you discover whether your horse is ok around hounds?
                    Well, in my experience if they are okay with dogs and cats and such bouncing around the barn, and/or with dogs along on a trail ride, the hounds won't bother them. I've started horses hunting after they had bad encounters with dogs, and they never gave the hounds a thought. In fact, once they figure out that when hounds speak, a good gallop could be in the making, they often LOVE those hounds.

Many hunts now allow members or prospective members to ride along on hound exercise in the summer- a good way to introduce them to hunting.

Comment

Timely thread

This is a timely thread as I bid on and won a capping fee with a local hunt here in Pa near Harrisburg. I am a TOTAL greenbean when it comes to hunting. I've ridden hunters in the ring only, and have done the occasional hunter pace. Thats it!

I want to start my coming 3 yo WB filly in the spring, and TG the capping fee is good for a year plus. This is a dream come true as I've always wanted to hunt.
                      I guess it was growing up near the Gennesee Valley Hunt in NY and hearing about it as a kid where I rode (High View Farm with Jack Fromm) always made me dream of the chase.

My god, I'm 46. Better do it soon. ;-)

So I guess my question is....what is and when is Capping? Must I read a novel to learn what I need to know or can someone point me to a website which I can bone up on? Attire, etc.
                      Should I dare consider taking such a youngster *capping* or should I wait til she's 4? A group trail ride or 2 first?
                      She seems really good and curious about new things.
                      Definitely OK with dogs so far.
                      Maybe I should pay a huntsman to teach her the ropes? Is there some ppl that do this?

LOTS of questions...or should I start a new thread. My intention is not to hijack this one.
                      THANKS!

And where is that hilarious TJ Swan!? LOL! *kidding*
                      I lurk occasionally *shameful*, and my god you are funny. :-D

Does this little filly (2.5 yo) look suitable for the field. She's in March. @nd time being backed. Me on the ground where I'm most useful. :-P

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...6108EbMWbly2aW

Comment

Typo

Should have read..she's 3 in March, and 2nd time being backed. No big deal and could care less.
                        She's not so little at 16+H at not even 3, and a slow maturing breed.
                        Pray for me.

Comment

I wouldn't take your baby out there. She's very green and it may be too much for her mentally and physically at her age. Since you are new at hunting, maybe you should ask around and see if you could borrow an experienced horse for your first time out or at least an easy to control horse that won't freak at a new experience. I don't live anywhere near you, but maybe someone else on this board hunts where you are planning to and can help you out. My hunt master has a barn full of horses (6 or 7) in training that are ridden by her husband, me when my horse is out of training or town, and one of the whips who doesn't have her own horse.

Capping happens when you are a guest of the hunt (ie- not paying member fees) and you go out on a hunt with them. It happens at any regualar hunt, so you can call their secretary and find out what days they hunt that you can make it out there for.

You should wear the darkest coat you have and obtain a white stocktie to wear (if you know someone who hunts, they should have extras if they collect them like me ). Tan or beige breeches, a velvet helmet, and dress boots (or fieldboots if you don't have them).

Comment

Yes, I agree, you would be well served to go out your first time on experienced hunt horse, and even to first take a lesson with a trainer that hunts, out on the trail.

Please dont take your baby horse hunting. Most young horses start at 4 or so, and have been on lots of trail rides in a group first. And we often have a pro take out even the calmest baby their first time; they often WAKE UP.

Comment

WOW

I'm glad I asked. :-)
                              I appreciate the feedback.
                              I figured not the smartest move.....and when she's ready to start (maybe 4) I can send her to a pro huntsman. Thanks!

I'll see if I can borrow a horse thats experienced.
                              Psyched!

Comment

for all the noobs

change and chance favors the well prepared.
                                the more change the more prep is needed.
                                experienced hunters break in new horses all the time.
                                they can concentrate on the horse having been there and done the rest already.
                                I survived my first hunt and my horses first hunt going first flight over some tricky fences,
                                I was about age 46 some 16 years ago. [the second hunt was another story]
                                but the horse was a 18 yo that I had lots of hours on doing the fences in the park across the street. way smaller than that pictured here http://www.qpee.org/docs/home.html
                                mostly novice size and easier intermediate.
                                I do not recommend my experience, rather gain the hunt experience from an experienced horse, or at least one you have ridden for years at the easier fixtures.
                                starting out on a just broke youngster is too much change and not enough prep. [IMHO] gained from just trying out a new young horse. [much less hunting]
                                my 5 yo second horse [now over the bridge] got me a tib rod and spent a season as the field masters horse while I recovered. pictured in my profile, he was a handful and way strong through the first run, but perfect for when I was occasionally tapped to lead the field. in my years of hunting him he never lost a shoe or had a day of illness. my third horse adapted to the hunting part and now seems to be over his intermittent trailer loading problems. he is more of a follower than a leader. just right for my advancing age. you may want to know your young horse a lot better first. trying hunting on him/her there after.
                                Last edited by armandh; Dec. 24, 2007, 08:01 AM.
                                more hay, less grain

Comment

Both my hunt horses also event

They are both very quiet eventing but can be strong and hot in the field. You need to be prepared for that. The best thing to do is find a hunt you can go roading with in the Summer to get your horse used to going in groups and having hounds around.

I have a three year old I am starting. I am fortunate to have my own small beagle pack. I use her to take the beagles roading. She is very used to hounds jumping up on her and following right behind her heels now. Yesterday I took her on a group trail ride of 7 horses with some jumping. Those are the sorts of things you can do to see how your horse will react to going in the field.

However, my three year old freaked out when she saw the hunt kennels for the first time. She was used to beagles and was freaked by many more "Beagles on steroids". I had to lead her up to the kennels and let her look. The hunt has about 50 hounds compared to my 8 beagles.

Eventers are great foxhunting because you don't have to worry about the jumps. I think it also helps them deal with water on xcountry and other things. I found that it improved my dressage score by opening up my horses stride.

Good luck with it.
                                  -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Originally posted by Underdog View Post
                                    This is a timely thread as I bid on and won a capping fee with a local hunt here in Pa near Harrisburg. I am a TOTAL greenbean when it comes to hunting. I've ridden hunters in the ring only, and have done the occasional hunter pace. Thats it!

I want to start my coming 3 yo WB filly in the spring, and TG the capping fee is good for a year plus. This is a dream come true as I've always wanted to hunt.
                                    I guess it was growing up near the Gennesee Valley Hunt in NY and hearing about it as a kid where I rode (High View Farm with Jack Fromm) always made me dream of the chase.

My god, I'm 46. Better do it soon. ;-)

So I guess my question is....what is and when is Capping? Must I read a novel to learn what I need to know or can someone point me to a website which I can bone up on? Attire, etc.
                                    Should I dare consider taking such a youngster *capping* or should I wait til she's 4? A group trail ride or 2 first?
                                    She seems really good and curious about new things.
                                    Definitely OK with dogs so far.
                                    Maybe I should pay a huntsman to teach her the ropes? Is there some ppl that do this?

LOTS of questions...or should I start a new thread. My intention is not to hijack this one.
                                    THANKS!

And where is that hilarious TJ Swan!? LOL! *kidding*
                                    I lurk occasionally *shameful*, and my god you are funny. :-D

Does this little filly (2.5 yo) look suitable for the field. She's in March. @nd time being backed. Me on the ground where I'm most useful. :-P

You may be confusing 'capping' with 'cubhunting,' which is early season cubhunting (typically Sept-Oct, earlier start in colder climes)

A capping fee is what a guest pays when hunting at any time during the season, whether cubhunting or during formal hunting. Having won a capping fee you basically get a free day's hunting. Your best bet would be to call the Master to see the best time to collect that fee.

Best little book for info is Wadsworth's 'Riding to Hounds in America.' He was master of the Genessee Valley Hunt so why not learn from the best, a legend who hails from your childhood neighborhood!

Have fun!

Comment

Thank you all SO much.

To Beverly and Armandh and Painted Wings and all others that took my hand in a delicate question.
                                      Even as an experienced horseman, just not in the field.

I am also just arriving home from the Upstate NY area ( Rochester) from the best of times to read the thoughtful responses. I SO appreciate it.

I have a mission I think. I look out the window as we drive home. I always do. I look at the landscape. NY..PA...any landscape.
                                      I see barren corn fields at thsis time of year and consider...would they trip in a good run...It's level field, but what about a woodsy trip over logs uphill, downhill, muddy footing...I'm weird that way.

I always do that on a road trip.
                                      Somethings wrong with me. :-)

I DO wish the good folks at this very good energetic spot, the best holiday toast I can offer. I thank you all again.

Comment

Working...
                                      X