• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A little misunderstood... Apparently a good thread to learn from

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little misunderstood... Apparently a good thread to learn from

Well, I skipped out on classes yesterday morning and went on the time of my life. I went hunting with a friend of mine because she was riding her young (4 y.o.) horse and so her experienced hunter was free for the day.

Hounds were cast at 8:00 a.m. and they practically came off the trailor at full cry. Off we went! after about 45 minutes of hard galloping with no breathers, we had our first kill! They caught a coyote. They brought it up, and the huntsman asked if it was anyone's first kill. Caroline was kind enough to inform everyone that it was my first kill and that my friend who took me hadn't been blooded on her first. All the staff started yelling "ON YOUR KNEES!!!!" I was dismounting and my friend was already off and the hounds went at full cry again. So we all jumped back on our horses, skipped the blooding ceremony and ran hard for about 2 or 3 more hours. Most of what we hunted through had no trails, just lots of trees and thorns. Couldn't have been better!!!!

We ran first flight. There was the First whip, then Caroline ( who knows the territory better than anyone) then me. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

~Keeping the Faith~
    Stephanie and Foxy

[This message was edited by Foxygrl516 on Nov. 17, 2003 at 11:04 PM.]

• Original Poster

Well, I skipped out on classes yesterday morning and went on the time of my life. I went hunting with a friend of mine because she was riding her young (4 y.o.) horse and so her experienced hunter was free for the day.

Hounds were cast at 8:00 a.m. and they practically came off the trailor at full cry. Off we went! after about 45 minutes of hard galloping with no breathers, we had our first kill! They caught a coyote. They brought it up, and the huntsman asked if it was anyone's first kill. Caroline was kind enough to inform everyone that it was my first kill and that my friend who took me hadn't been blooded on her first. All the staff started yelling "ON YOUR KNEES!!!!" I was dismounting and my friend was already off and the hounds went at full cry again. So we all jumped back on our horses, skipped the blooding ceremony and ran hard for about 2 or 3 more hours. Most of what we hunted through had no trails, just lots of trees and thorns. Couldn't have been better!!!!

We ran first flight. There was the First whip, then Caroline ( who knows the territory better than anyone) then me. IT WAS AWESOME!!!

~Keeping the Faith~
    Stephanie and Foxy

Comment

I'm glad you had such a great time!

Personally, I don't ever want to experience a kill. Then again, in Virginny the quarry are foxes (I love foxes). I might feel differently about coyotes, however, since the populations tend to get out of control and they can actually pose a threat to pets and livestock. Better a death by hounds than being hit by a car or being wounded by some yahoo with a shotgun and no tracking skill (or inclination).

On the other hand, we are encroaching on their homes with our suburban sprawl, etc.

Ugh, what a tough issue; good arguments on both sides.

For me it is all about the thrill of the chase

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Comment

• Original Poster

I know what you mean. It is kinda sad, but that is the sport. The best part wasn't that they killed the coyote, it was just that we had such a great chase all day. i could "hunt" for hours on a chase and be perfectly happy if nothing was ever touched. I think the blooding and all made me feel like I was being initiated into something secret (as silly as that sounds). haha. It was like I'm a real foxhunter now.

Did I mention in my above post that I have never been so sore in my life?!?!?!?

~Keeping the Faith~
        Stephanie and Foxy

Comment

I feel your pain! It was only the residual adrenaline that kept me on my feet the next day!

This Sunday is my second hunt - Monday may well be a lost cause.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Comment

I've been hunting for 15 years...we chase, i've never seen a kill, or celebrated one, though I know they've occurred.

Glad you had a good time, but for some reason this is making me cringe (shudder)

Comment

Been hunting all of my nearly 38 years on earth, been on exactly 2 hunts where there was a kill (one a fox - my first time in VA. - with Melvin Poe, no less! and one a coyote with Hillsboro in Tennessee.) Oooops - make that 3 - Old Dominion Hounds had the fastest best day in that wild wind storm yesterday and durned if they didn't run Mr. Reynard down and, ooops. Oh well, let's call it natural selection. He hesitated when he shouldn't'a. It does sound odd in the retelling but it really is an HONOR to be present with gallant quarry and hunters in the splendor of the protected natural lands astride a horse who enjoys it as much as we do. From the point of view of having watched plenty of foxes loll around, yawning, while the hounds feather around bumbling for the scent on a dry day, I know perfectly well how much they enjoy playing 'wily', too. Sorry Mr. Fox, yesterday you played your hand too close ...

Though some may say, and I'll agree, that only God can make a tree.
              Before God thought of trees its said, his mind was on the Thoroughbred.
              -- Paul Mellon
              * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

Foxygrl516 -

Glad you had such a great time.

One suggestion...and in making this, I will likely get jumped on...but I will go ahead and make it anyway.

Would you consider changing the name of this thread from its current title of "My first kill!"?

I only considered asking because in your second post it sounds as though the thrill for you was in the chase not the kill.

Indeed, for most foxhunters, the thrill is in the chase, and many folks I know are rooting for the fox/coyote. IMHO, the title in its current format misrepresents the sport.

As I said before, I am likely to get jumped on for bringing this up. Believe me, I have heard (and myself made) all the arguments and discussions before, so no problem. I am an avid (non-drag) foxhunter myself.

Hope you continue hunting.

Comment

well said, whistlejacket. amen!

Comment

Foxygrl516, way to have a great time! Many happy returns! As for your post title:

Don't let the Disney crowd rule. The health of the varmit population, according to Darwin, depends on culling. I belive this is so. If not us, then who? We and our kind have created habitable land from the forests and grasslands. Then these varmits move in... they were not there in the forests and grasslands in great number before we made this new habitat with all the edges and prey species habitat. We made this habitat, now we need to manage the populations that follow us here. I don't relish the kill; I honor nature, the hounds, the hunt, and the participants.

Its neat that you got to participate in this event!

Comment

unfortunately the public doesnt see it that way Delphi. If your argument worked to convince the general public that we are out there for the chase, There wouldnt be thousands upon thousands of Horses, hounds and humans about to lose what they love most in England.
                      I agree...the title should change.

Comment

Doesn't the MFHA discourage the blooding ceremony (and have for a decade or more), or am I wrong about that?
                        Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Comment

<<Would you consider changing the name of this thread from its current title of "My first kill!"?>>

Agreed. Title is most creepy.

* lost tb *

Comment

Lurking over from the dressage forum. Yes, your title sure caught my attention! I'm glad other hunter people are asking you to change the title, but I am still disturbed by the ritual that you mentioned in your first post.....being put on your knees and having what, blood of the poor animal splashed all over you? That sounds very disturbing.

However, I can see people chasing rabitts and such in a hunt. Thats no different than what a rifle style hunter does. But a coyote.. you can't eat it, I am sure you wouldn't want to make a pelt out of it... so why would you hunt it?

Comment

It's barbaric, especially the "blooding Ceremony"

less hard work, more fine dining.
                              www.dancinglawnhorses.com

If guys can do it, how hard can it be?
                              LESS HARD WORK, MORE FINE DINING!™
                              complicate, obfuscate, prevaricate.

Comment

YoungFilly writes:
                                <<<.....being put on your knees and having what, blood of the poor animal splashed all over you? That sounds very disturbing.>>>

"Blooding" is nothing like that and some hunts dont do it at all. It's traditionally been a "rite of passage" so to speak. My club never makes a huge ceremony around it and CERTAINLY blood is NEVER splashed all over a person!! Members are merely dabbed w/a small smear of blood on each cheek, there is no getting down on ones' knees.

Unfortunately kills "do" happen, but that is not the usual. Why would a hunt want to kill the member of the chase that has provided them with such good sport? The first season I hunted, our hounds went out 74 times and we had a total of 4 foxes who met their demise. Three of those four were mangey and in pretty rough shape. They would have died a pretty miserable death had they not been dispensed of as quickly as they were. The fourth fox made a very unfortunate mistake and ran into a blocked silo.

Since foxhunting is such an old sport, that sticks to traditional customs, many ways of doing things have remained the same. Blooding is NOT meant to be barbaric, it is done in honor of the spirit of the animal.

www.artistichandstudio.com/tylerspage.jpg

Where Blondes DO Have More Fun!
                                Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Comment

in december of 99 an extremely stupid coyote picked fight over flight. the first I observed after about 8 years of hunting. I prefer the sport to the blood but it happens on occasion.
                                  more hay, less grain

Comment

It's called fox hunting... not fox chasing or fox watching. I am not saying that the goal is a kill, but I would expect it happens on occassion.

GA Clique/Drafties Clique
                                    Live Large- Ride a Drafty!

Comment

At the risk of upset, I have to say that going hunting but not wanting to deal with the potential death of the quarry is a tad short-sighted.

Comes with the territory, no? Surely if you want to avoid the kill, don't hunt? (But I do realise that hunting in the USA is a very different thing to the UK version)
                                      ----------------------------------------
                                      PSSM / EPSM and Shivers Forum
                                      http://pssm.xanthoria.com/
                                      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Well I for one would love to be in on accounting for the quarry. I have been foxhunting for years now and have only been on one hunt where quarry was accounted for.

The MFHA frowns on blooding - but ceremonies such as this have been practiced for thousands of years by different cultures grateful for a successful hunt - such as my American Indian ancestors. It seems strange to those who have been raised in artificial environments and to people who always have their meal come out of a box but there is great reverence and appreciation of a hunt where you are able to master an animal who is competing with you for food just as there is in the hunt of an animal who provides you with food to live for another day.

The coddled , the soft, the city folk can not and will not understand ( nor should they ) the thrill of the hunt and the accounting for of game. Foxhunting in its present form is far removed from the basic struggle of man against nature but for some of us it raises something inside, something that you may not have known existed in you that is part of human nature. We were created to have dominion over the Earth and its creatures and fullfilling the puporse for which we were created still gives rise to deep feelings in those of us that are still capable of them and that do not have our minds numbed by the din of the politically correct babble of the weak and the laziness of MC meals.

Comment

Working...
                                        X