• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Side Saddle Habit..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Saddle Habit..

Where did you get yours? New - Used?? What did you use it for - hunt, show, parade?? How much did you spend?

Thanks!
    Julie
    www.equusvilla.blogspot.com
    www.ridingaside.blogspot.com
    www.miniaturecheviot.blogspot.com

All of my habits are for hunting and showing.

My Mears habit, which I had custom-made about 5 years ago, is med-weight black calvary twill. It cost about $850.

I purchased a navy melton wool Caldene habit from the Old Habit in Marshall, VA about 4 years ago, for $500 or $600, I don't really remember. Not custom-made for me, but it fits decently. The apron could be a bit longer.

I picked up a Roberts & Carroll black habit, made in 1933, at the Middleburg Tack Exchange (MTE), also about 4 years ago, for $450. I sold it to my friend last year.

3 years ago, I bought a tweed Caldene cubbing habit from the MTE for $375, a gray twill 1920s Bernard Weatherill habit w/matching britches for $250, and a 1910s green pinstripe melton habit for $250.

I bought a black Busvine melton apron from MTE last year for $150, to go with a black melton hunt jacket that I have for really muddy hunting days.

I bought a 1930s navy Roberts & Carroll heavy calvary twill jacket from an eBay UK seller this year, for about $150, and a navy sloped front med-weight calvary twill Mears jacket from another eBay UK seller for $115, and am going to make aprons to match them over the Christmas holiday.

As you can tell, there is a wide variety of pricing. Well-made custom habits from Mears and Caldene (or now from whomever bought Caldene) will currently run you about $900 +/- with the exchange rate. Used habits from the top makers (Busvine, Roberts & Carroll, Bernard Weatherill, etc.) in the more modern styles will go for somewhere around $450-550, and the older styles $250-400.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

• Original Poster

Holy Crap....Wow - what a collection you have!!!!! Thank you so much for the information.
      Julie

Comment

A related question- where can you buy sidesaddles?

Comment

Originally posted by Eventer13 View Post
          A related question- where can you buy sidesaddles?
          A variety of places. I buy and sell them. You can also try the Side Saddlery at http://www.sidesaddle.com/store/saddles/saddles.html, or Sue Tobin of Sidesaddle Heaven at http://www.sidesaddleheaven.com/pages/saleslist.htm. The Middleburg Tack Exchange usually has one or two for sale. http://www.middleburgtack.com. Ebay also sometimes has ones for sale, but you have to be careful that it is in good shape and the tree is sound.

Comment

My habit came to me via my 'Sidesaddle Fairy Godmother'. About $400 I think. Way less than it is worth. Anyway it was origonally custom made for Mrs Paul Mellon in Sept '44. (Gertz on 5th Ave NYC) It's all on the label inside the pocket. It's a navy twill and just lovely. Really hangs nicely. And the history...wow.

Any chance anyone has a photo or a link to one with her wearing it? I believe that she hunted in Virginia. Or any other information about this one?

ETA - now that I re-read SidesaddleRider's list, I wonder if mine is Calvary Twill and not Navy. How can you tell? The color is Navy so maybe I am confused?
            Mighty Thoroughbred Clique - has a Facebook Page!!!http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mig...80739235378806
            Www.customequestriandesigns.com

Comment

Ooh, sidesaddle is so cool! On my wishlist for things to try one day.

Comment

Originally posted by StellaTMK View Post
                My habit came to me via my 'Sidesaddle Fairy Godmother'. About $400 I think. Way less than it is worth. Anyway it was origonally custom made for Mrs Paul Mellon in Sept '44. (Gertz on 5th Ave NYC) It's all on the label inside the pocket. It's a navy twill and just lovely. Really hangs nicely. And the history...wow.

Any chance anyone has a photo or a link to one with her wearing it? I believe that she hunted in Virginia. Or any other information about this one?

ETA - now that I re-read SidesaddleRider's list, I wonder if mine is Calvary Twill and not Navy. How can you tell? The color is Navy so maybe I am confused?
                It's probably a navy (midnight) calvary twill. Calvary twill is a type of material, with very small "lines" and closely knitted. It should be pretty heavy duty and able to stand up to wear.

I haven't seen a photograph of Mrs. Mellon riding sidesaddle, although there was an oil portrait done of her. There might be one in the Sporting Library. I'll have to look next time I'm there.

(oh, if you ever want to sell the habit, let me know.)

Comment

Passing the info along . Beresford Gallery in Unionville Pa has opened up a hunt closet and has severeal side saddle habits for sale . I don't know the sizes but they looked lovely. Apologies if this is not appropriate to post.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by StellaTMK View Post
                    My habit came to me via my 'Sidesaddle Fairy Godmother'.

I WANNA SIDESADDLE FAIRY GODMOTHERRRRRRR!
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by equusvilla View Post
                      I WANNA SIDESADDLE FAIRY GODMOTHERRRRRRR!
                      She is wonderful! I met her on a hunt-pace (she was riding aside) and started peppering this poor lady with sidesaddle questions and here I am a few years later. (She is probably regretting it) She has helped me find a saddle, meet new people, try new things, gather proper equipment, exposed me to SS clinics with wonderful instructors, invited me to history demonstrations and is a general wealth of information!

I hope I can eventually help someone get started like she has helped me...Pay it foward!
                      Mighty Thoroughbred Clique - has a Facebook Page!!!http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mig...80739235378806
                      Www.customequestriandesigns.com

Comment

How large are you? I have two (one homemade one made in London. I'm 5'3" and 108#) that haven't seen use since I bought (X- for which my former horse husband dropped the horses for and now thinks he is practicing for the world cup) Never buy something that floats that your husband 'might' enjoy....Grrr it's like buying the 'other' women for him as a gift!!!!
                        Last edited by 5; Dec. 7, 2008, 02:07 PM.
                        A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                        Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by 5 View Post
                          How large are you? I have two (one homemade one made in London. I'm 5'3" and 108#) that haven't seen use since I bought (X- for which my former horse husband dropped the horses for and now thinks he is practicing for the world cup) Never buy something that floats that your husband 'might' enjoy....Grrr it's like buying the 'other' women for him as a gift!!!!
                          Oh - that is so sweet of you to offer...but I am 5'6" and weight 135...so I can guarantee that I could not squeeze into your tiny suit!

I do have some very good news though - one of my former Saddleseat instructors used to ride aside and she said that if I come across a used side saddle that fits my horse - she would be more than happy to instruct me! YEAH!!!!!! In our classes (saddleseat) we are allowed to compete in any class riding aside. Almost everything is falling into place! I just wish that sidesaddles were not 3 times as expensive as our saddleseat saddles are!

Kind of a long story - but worth the read:

I had an older show mare that I really trusted. I was thinking that she is the one I would learn on. Well - sadly she died 2 weeks ago. It was very sudden and I was heartbroken. I had another horse in mind to use - but there were some issues...and here is the short version of his story:

He was a show horse that had some lameness issues. A big barn either donated him to someone who stripped him of his papers and sent him through the local auction - or the big barn did...either way - by the time he was auctioned - he was being crooned as a dressage horse. I had a lady who boarded her horses at our barn and she was prone to buy freaky horses at the auction and she bought this boy. The minute he came off the trailer - I informed her that he was not a dressage horse - but an American Saddlebred. He still had his show shoes on and his mane roached all the way back. 3 weeks later he started to limp.. :0( My boarder loved this horse though - he was a real sweetie and so beautiful. His Neg. Coggions had his registered name on it - so we knew who he was.

Well a year later - my boarder suffered a terrible personal tragedy and ended up just signing over the horse to me. I was not sure if I could get him sound - but he was already part of our family and I was going to do everything I could.. a year later - he is now reregistered in my name (a long and stressful process!) and right now - he IS sound. The first time I rode him I was elated by such a soft trot - posting would be an option!!!

I think God planned all of this ...replacing one horse for the other...and including the fact that my instructor has SS experience! I think also that baby steps could revive such an elegant disipline of riding. I am not an expert rider and I am not a trainer ... if people see me in the ring riding aside - they will know that they can do it too.

sorry this was so long..
                          Julie

Comment

I think you will find AMSaddlebreds very fine sidesaddle horses.
                            I learned on a retired show mare back in the 1960's. She was wonderful. But she also knew I was a greenie. She had fun pulling all kinds of tricks on me. She was 5 gaited and would go along very nicely and then she would start off at the rack and scare the daylights out of me.
                            Hey at 15 I was not real sharp at gaited riding.
                            Most of the ex show horses become sound after removing the heavy shoes and going bare footed for a year or so.
                            There are Saddleseat sidesaddles but they are not as plentiful as Hunt seat sidesaddles. They do turn up now and then. Martin &Martin built lots of them but some were using them for Hunt seat sidesaddles and they broke the gullet. A Saddleseat show type sidesaddle has no off side D rings for Sandwich cases. They are also much lighter in weight. Less iron on the tree.They have thinner panels also. Most often they have leather covered panels. Barnsby sold lots of them in the deep South too.
                            My friend in High School in the 60's had an ASB gelding that could do anything. she rode him Saddleseat astride and sidesaddle and Western and he also went Hunter Jumper. Head position depended on what bridle he had on. Western and Hunt he dropped his head. Saddleseat with the double bridle on he held it up and stately.
                            Smart fellow.
                            The rescued ASB's seem to know well that they were saved. I know women who have
                            some of them and they are so good and so kind hearted. Especially with children.
                            For Saddleseat sidesaddle you can wear the same outfit the regular Saddleseat riders wear with an apron contrasting or matching the Daycoat. My hat is off to you for giving this fellow a good home.
                            Regards, sadmakr

Comment

Originally posted by sadlmakr View Post
                              The rescued ASB's seem to know well that they were saved. I know women who have
                              some of them and they are so good and so kind hearted. Especially with children.

Regards, sadmakr
                              Would that be a rescued horse that I know, sadlmakr?

Comment

Mine was custom made for me by a local seamstress. It's for hunt and show. I think the fabric ran me around $125, and she charged me $45 to make it. We adapted the Suitability pattern - there's way too much fabric to the apron, so she trimmed it down a bit.
                                http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
                                I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Comment

Yes I do mean the ones you are thinking of.
                                  I wish I had the facilities to save several of them. But since I do not have my farm any more I can only wish.
                                  They are so smart. They know when it is show time and when it is "at ease" time. They can be a backyard pet or they can bring the house down at a horse show.
                                  Most of the ones I have known were real hams.
                                  Regards, sadlmakr

Comment

Last weeks issue of COTH was a sidesaddle riders dream come true. Some lovely photos of elegant ss riders from the past.

The kicker was the subject of the article - the old fashioned advice about needing a groom, on what side he should ride, how to behave, whether a "lady" should be jumping or not, that sort of thing.

I believe the quotes were from either old manuals or magazines or something like that. It was really educational for someone like me (someone who has never ridden ss but just gushes when she sees ss riders and wants to hunt ss before she croaks). It was also just a really entertaining and well written article that left me smiling and shaking my head.

I bow low before all of you in homage - gushing about how lovely and elegant all y'all look.

If any of you don't subscribe but want to read the article I'm sure you could obtain it on-line somehow. Well worth the effort.
                                    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Anyone interested in seeing the Victorian perspective of sidesaddle, would enjoy reading these two books available to download from Google.

Riding and Driving for Women by Belle Beach

The Horsewoman by Alice M. Hayes

I'll have to see if I can get a copy of the COTH article. I've been reading up to help pass the winter. I even went so far as to buy a stirrup... but no saddle or habit yet
                                      ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        It was really educational for someone like me (someone who has never ridden ss but just gushes when she sees ss riders and wants to hunt ss before she croaks).
                                        That could easily be taken care of, you know...

Comment

Working...
                                        X