• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

views on hunting 4 year old mare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• views on hunting 4 year old mare

I have hunted my mare a few times. Started hill topping on a couple summer rides, hill topped her once for cubbing and once for the blessing. Last week, rode at the back of the first flight and jumped only small jumps, under 2ft..except for one where there was no alternative route. (maybe jumped about 75% of the jumps total).

The horse is doing great and am not having any problems with being marish or kicking, she easily keeps up with the group and is not hesitating with the jumps, she stands quietly at checks and is laid back most of the time...she's quite fun. I do have another horse i hunt also, but i wonder if being a 4 year old if it is too stressful on her and i should only occassionally hunter her or not worry about it. she's a warmblood cross and quite sturdy without being bulky.

thoughts?
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Sounds like so far you've done about as much as we have with our young Hanoverian/TB 4 y/o. He's been trail riding, cubbing (jumping some, but not the BIG jumps, too many in our country), and doing a bit of ring work. Our plan is to get him out a few more times this season, but then to stop hunting him until next year. He's still got some growing up to do, and while a saint (and has even led the field), we don't want to over do it. He'll continue to get hacked and worked, then spend the spring and summer showing/doing ring work, then go back to hunting next fall. We also have a 4 y/o OTTB, who is coming along great, and definitely more mature physically, we don't want to push him either (various reasons). So he's following the same path as the other 4 y/o.

Previously, I have hunted 4 y/o's entire seasons, but that was prior to joining our current hunt. Our old hunt was a bit slower, didn't have too many long runs, and not too too many jumps (even in first flight), so it wasn't much of an issue. However, the new hunt is by far faster, has longer runs, and more jumps.

I think you just have to evaluate the situation, if you're hunting only once a week, or less than that, I think she'd be fine. Good luck! Sounds like she's going to make a fine hunter!

Comment

I agree with SteeleRdr to just do what you are doing - evaluate the situation and do what you feel is best for your horse. Perhaps consult the vet. It sounds like you are taking it pretty easy on her - just going out once a week and the jumps are small. I don't think it sounds like too much.

I am in a similar situation in that I am also hunting a 4 year old this year - a draft cross (shire/pony cross). We are in 2nd field though, so few to any jumps and when we do come across them they are small. He only goes out once a week - last week went out 2x because of opening meet and cubbing a few days before). Anyway, second field in this hunt isn't too crazy - we do gallop along but the field master doesn't overdo it. We do normally have a 3rd field that is very quiet and easy going, so I can drop back to that field if pony gets tired.

My vet told me to that foxhunting - the galloping and working - would actually be good for this horse to do right now.

Comment

We grew up riding the young horses in the hunt field (with common sense). It is a great education and better for them than lunging in a million circles!
        The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

I am currently hunting a 4 yr old KWPN/TB mare (turned 4 in mid-June). I hilltop her only, but she has schooled over coops when hacking out. Our territory can have tricky approaches to fences, so I don't think she's quite experienced enough to be in the first field, although she loves to jump and is very smart and sure-footed. I take her out about every 3rd week, so she doesn't have experience overload, and I must say she has been pretty wonderful. I MIGHT move her up to the first field at the end of the season, but most likely I'll wait until next season. I don't see any point in rushing the good ones!
          Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

Keep it slow and keep doing what you're doing. It's great to get them out and expose them and let them learn, but you don't want to fry their brains.
            "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

I've had my four year old out twice this season. She's a 1/2 Tb paint so I think they mature a little faster than the warmbloods and drafts. I really think using common sense is in order and don't be afraid to drop back a field or go in early.

I've hunted mine first flight but our first field is the amallest and most predictable and the jumps don't seem to be an issue for her.

We have one fixture that is relatively flat with no jumps. I usually try to take the young inexperienced horses there to break them in. My first hunt this season with the four year old was there and we had a 3 mile run. She hung in there very well.

So I don't see a problem with it as long as common sense and good judgment are involved.

My two and three year olds beagle regularly but we rarely even canter and only stay out about an hour. Actually the four year old has been out with the beagles probably 20 or 30 times, she doesn't bat an eye at foxhounds now.
              -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for your replies and it sounds like i am on the right track and can tell that the mare really likes her job. her future may be in eventing, but right now i think she's enjoying this job. I have already competed some simple walk/trot dressage tests with her earlier this year too, where she was cool as a cucumber. i make sure i work with her alone too, so she's not herd bound (at least not yet), but i have been fortunate to have done all the ground work and backing, so she really trusts me. I can already tell she has been gaining confindence each time out. I will continue to take it easy with her and not hunt her everyweek or when the footing is questionable (she's barefoot). I have been fortunate that some of the older hunt members know the fixtures well and give me guidance on which fixtures to take her to and also will give me a heads up on some of the runs if we'll have anything crazy.

Thanks for the positive comments. Happy Hunting!

Comment

Actually, as the ground worsens, that can be a good time to get them out but stay in second or third flight. Of course if it is awful you would stay home, but I find as the ground hardens that is a good opportunity (and reason enough) to go back to a slower flight and concentrate on their manners. That way they still get out and do the drill - hack or trailer to the hunt, stand at checks, see all the activity and hear the noises but no jumping or hard galloping.

Comment

Opening meet on a four year old!

Our four year old, 17.3h, Holsteiner/Oldenburg gelding hunted first flight with my husband, Grosvenor, at Thornton Hill yesterday.

We bred and raised him, started him slowly with many trail riding miles. We hilltoppped him half a dozen times as three year old, took him to Aiken this past winter to hang out and trail ride. Started this season hilltopping and finally got him steadily jumping his coops last week.

After a night of rain, the scent was dismal, so going first flight was not all that crazy, though the country is quite rough. Grosvenor took him in after about 2 hours 'cause he pulled a shoe.

He is quite handsome and we are excited that we are hunting one of our own.

He will go down to Tennessee after Christmas to live at the TVH kennels and get more exposure to the pack (perhaps even hunt hounds).

Rosie Merle-Smith
                    www.virginiafieldhunters.com
                    www.tvhfox.com
                    Virginia Field Hunters
                    https://m.facebook.com/vafieldhunters?ref=bookmark

https://m.facebook.com/studconcertogrosso?ref=bookmark CONCERTO GROSSO

Comment

I've always waited til age 5 to hunt and/or jump one hard. I do start them under saddle at 2. Can't give you any strong arguments for the extra year, just that it has always worked for me, my horses typically hunt well into their 20s. But, if I lived closer to huntin' country, I would certainly hilltop a 4 yo.

Comment

Great topic!

I think you are right on track~
                        Im in the same situation, ive been riding a young horse for a master in our hunt and took him out for the first time last weekend to a hound walk and then a ride. He was wonderful, jumped small jumps and ditches and kept up with the field.
                        I used my judgement with him, there were some bigger coops im sure he could have handled, but i wanted to keep the ride positive.
                        I think you have good judgement, and i think some good points were made about paying attention to the terrain, choose and pick your rides and set yourself up for success!
                        best of luck!
                        and Rosie, I can't wait to see your boy down here at the Kennels!

Comment

Over the years I have made a good number of hunting horses, and I would like to offer a few thoughts.

Don't try to start your horse hunting until he is trustworthy going 'cross country both in company and alone. Make sure you have jumped the usual jumps and can cross creeks and streams alone and in company. Make sure your horse will turn and walk away from a group of horses without a problem.

Make a point of hacking near the kennels so your horse will at least have an idea about he sights, sounds and smells of hounds. If your hunt allows horses to go along when the puppies are walked - Do it.

The beginning weeks and months are the most important. Those memories sometimes last a life time.

I never go out on a first timer alone.

Always go with another very quiet horse as a baby sitter, make sure you have the trusty earplugs, a standing martingale and if at all possible make sure your horse has been turned out the previous night to help him be a little quieter.

Make sure you get to the meet 15 - 20 minutes early so he has time to look around. If he is nervous, go off and let him jog in a large circle to get rid of excess energy and nervousness. If your horse completely loses it - go home, and start the process again.

I think the most important part is NEVER go first flight, no matter how quiet your horse seems, for the first few hunts ! I never go first flight with a youngster for at least half of the first season. Cruise around with your baby sitter friend and relax.

The first few months are so important. If you have a reasonably quiet horse, take the time to teach him manners, you may have a great hunter for the rest of your hunting days.

Try to remember that some horses just aren't meant to hunt, some are a little crazy and dangerous to you, other members of the field and hounds.
                          If that is the case you will have to either hunt way at the back of the field or find another job for him.

Good luck.

Comment

I want to know when the book is coming out Triplicate, I love your advice. Going through this with a "green outside the ring" TB who is nine is my challenge but I am getting so much help and reassurance from the COTH forum. My bit of advice is always try to end on a positive note. There are good days and not so good but still okay and that's what I strive for. Let's face it, anything can happen out there and it will sooner or later so keeping your wits about you is your best defense.

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi. I guess, in case one may worry, that i should delved deeper into my mare's training too. My mare has had alot of ground work and was ground driving when she was 2 (we'd go all over the property). I also ponied her with my other horse. She was backed when she was coming 3 and lightly ridden, mostly walking around the property with a quiet buddy or just with me. ocassionally she'd free jump or jump in hand and it was always a game. I board at a breeding facility, so she has been worked with stallions in the same arena without any problems.

this year is when she started more work. in may, she competed in a walk trot dressage test..not only did she score a 67.5% in nasty wind, the judge commented on her quiet composure and she won the blue at her first show. we also took the opprotunity to ride with a buddy who schooled the cross country course. she rode her stallion and neither horse paid any attention to each other. and neither cared if they were alone or together. it took a few tries to get into the water complex, but then she thought it was great fun! the summer consisted of going to some clinics or shows with my other horse..i'd ride him in the clinic and take her out later for a hack. and, of course a summer hunt.

I made sure her basics were in place before taking her in a field hunt situation. i felt her background was stong..some people just comment..oh, just too young...but i've felt confident in my mare's mental maturity and was more concerned over her physical maturity, so i'm being careful..there are so many opinions out there that it can be mind boggling! thanks again!

Comment

The physical and mental are the same. You don't gallop first flight because your are on a young horse, because of what you would do to it's body AND brain.

The slower you go forward the less you have to fix later.

I used hill top my young ones, hang out on the road watching hounds work and usually seeing more foxes than anyone else.

I always went in early, sometimes to get on another young one and head back out.

The best part was someone allways wanted to buy one of my young ones, mainly because no one wants to spend the time to make a nice field hunter.

Young horses ( 4 year olds or younger ) are not ready mentally or physically to " go on and hunt ", but they can go out and learn the entire drill, so when they are physically ready, their brain will be ready as well. Then off you go !!

Good luck.

Comment

Yeah, I have a nice quiet pack of beagles that I hunt with. Mine are totally hound broke before they go in the field. Plus I take them roading in the summer when it is hot and there are fewer horses and less frenzy.

My current four year old missed the roading this summer though because she refused to get caught when she had the opportunity. Howeve she's been on a half dozen hunter paces.

I don't have a ring so mine are out on the trails mostly by themselves from the time they are two. In fact my two year old is a regular bulldozer when it comes to trailblazing in the woods. With beagling they have to be able to cut through the woods ands stuff too, probably more so that foxhunting.
                                  -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Don't.

http://www.equinestudies.org/knowledge_base/ranger.html

Comment

Working...
                                    X