• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Growing" your hunt...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
    You make it seem as if foxhunters are all moneyed elites who can afford to have their servants peel their grapes for them.

The truth is that most people work. Women and men. They come from all walks of life, and they fit riding in just like any other working adult.
    No elitism at all, that's a smear thrown about too often, and I don't agree with it at all.

My question is how many weekday hunt fields are made up of 20-40 yr olds that work 9-5 full-time and commute and do not have good job flexibility?

The question has *nothing* to do with elitism, and everything to do with a small pool of available riders that can or wish to hunt several times a week.

The original post was abut expanding membership. Starting with Juniors is wonderful, but expect them to drop off somewhat after graduating and getting into the workforce, where they have little say about taking off every Tuesday and Thursday to go hunt - as entry level workers?

Then, I merely was commenting that there is a huge group of people out there in the middle of their careers who are also in a tough position where hunting (as it is currently organized) may not really fit into their lives as well as other disciplines.

Comment

Regular people do hunt during the week. We have many people with regular jobs who use vacation days to hunt during the week. We have people that work night shifts and hunt during the week. We have people that will come out and hunt in the morning and then go to work.

Its done. It's just not a lot of retired or wealthy people out there, although their out there too.
      A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Comment

C'mon. Why pay a hunt subscription when I can only hunt 1 day a week on either a Sat or Sun? There's 2 or 3 weekdays in there that I'd be paying for that I can't go because I have a office job.

I see these trailers going by on weekdays mornings (they're off to the hunt) and I wonder what these people DO... work nights? Inherit it?
        I happily pay to hunt one day a week. I know that my hunt subscription for the entire season cost less than going to the AEC's. I do work and only get out on Wednesdays which means that I miss the good weekend breakfasts, etc. However, I love the weekday hunt and look forward to it. I have given up the chance of alternating weekends off so that I can get Wednesdays off instead. Most of the trailers that you see go by probably have people that work other days. I know many of the people that I hunt with on Wednesday do work full-time jobs. They are just lucky in getting their schedules adjusted.

Comment

Originally posted by BarnField View Post
          My question is how many weekday hunt fields are made up of 20-40 yr olds that work 9-5 full-time and commute and do not have good job flexibility?

rely was commenting that there is a huge group of people out there in the middle of their careers who are also in a tough position where hunting (as it is currently organized) may not really fit into their lives as well as other disciplines.
          It is not possible for hunting to be organized any other way. So your comment makes no sense. It is a seasonal activity on private land - we must comply with federal and state game laws. It is HUNTING.

If a 20-40 year old has no job flexibility and a long commute - their challenge is the same whether they are hunting or eventing or doing endurance. They have a long commute and no flexibility. I was once a 20-40 year old who had a long commute and no flexibility other than paid vacation.

I managed to do all kinds of things with my horse. We had a blast. Your argument simply has no merit. A person starting out in life may not be able to afford to do much of anything. It's called life. Lots of folks have to take a break from horses when they first start out in life. I did - I can't think of any one of my friends who didn't take a break for some reason. It happens.

I'm not sure it's a legitimate argument - the sport is actually less expensive than other horse disciplines.

This is not a commercial, profit driven activity. (unlike shows) I keep explaining that to people but you don't get it. It's hunting. You may hunt to ride but the sport itself is hunting and is almost 100% regulated by wildlife management agencies, as well as its own internal code of ethics. New clubs are in fact starting up - I see the rosters growing - not diminishing. An economic downturn can affect the sport - but it affects the industry as a whole. Not just foxhunting.

If you want to do it - you will find a way. Just like any other sport.

It takes no more or less time, it is less expensive, there are no new fashions, trends, or other expensive stuff you have to buy each year to be fit in, you do not need multiple horses, fancy rigs, fancy horse or a particular breed that is currently in favor with judges, you do not need to learn new tests, school "questions" endlessly, learn new rules, or pay for anything other than your subscription.

If a person is limited - it may be by distance. If the closest club it 12 hours away - well - that's not the sports fault.

Most foxhunters I know work. They work real jobs. The kind that you have to report to each day. They even have kids. Some can finagle their schedule more so than others.

They manage to hunt regularly - because they make it their goal.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Some hunts have a special membership rate for young adults, that rises at middle adulthood, that rises again in later middle age, and then drops a bit for the senior citizens.

It is a bit of a book keeping nightmare, I'd imagine, but does give breaks to those who are at points in their lives that they either can't afford or don't have the time for a full membership.

Some hunts in England have a little different way of going about it. You can buy a packet of tickets to hunt on week days, week ends, or some combination of the above as well as a full subscription. You get 3, 5, 7, or 10 tickets for sightly less than the capping rate.

Comment

Originally posted by jawa View Post
              Some hunts have a special membership rate for young adults, that rises at middle adulthood, that rises again in later middle age, and then drops a bit for the senior citizens.

It is a bit of a book keeping nightmare, I'd imagine, but does give breaks to those who are at points in their lives that they either can't afford or don't have the time for a full membership.

Some hunts in England have a little different way of going about it. You can buy a packet of tickets to hunt on week days, week ends, or some combination of the above as well as a full subscription. You get 3, 5, 7, or 10 tickets for sightly less than the capping rate.
              Great post, Jawa, see this is exactly the sort of thing that is helpful to the discourse of how to grow the membership by offering flexibility in how membership is offered.

I think these sorts of ideas need to be discussed for the good of the sport, where relevant, of course. If a hunt has more members than it needs, that's great, but for other groups these ideas may be critical.

I think that idea of tickets is great.

Comment

http://farmingtonhunt.org/index.php?...id=2&Itemid=15

This is an example of Farmington Hunt's breakdown. Some hunts don't have this information listed on the interwebz, but I'm sure other hunts do similar. (My hunt does, but doesn't list the initiation or dues on the interwebz.)

http://bedfordcountyhunt.com/?page_id=165

And another example. This one shows the multiple categories offered, but you have to inquire about the rate. I'm sure they would be open with other masters, if not to the exact rate, then to the percentage off each category is in relation to the full regular membership.

http://www.bullrunhuntclub.com/membership/

And again, another example.....

I have to go get my pony clean to go hunting, so I'm not going to look up any more hunts. But hopefully you get the idea that with a little bit of ground work by an individual who WANTS to hunt, you can find that it is possible and that many hunts have thought about these issues and have found ways to try and accommodate peoples reservations about joining and not getting their full use out of there hunts dues.

Comment

jawa - I can think of a couple of clubs near me that have similar types/levels of membership; or their junior memberships extend to people of college age. I think that is fairly typical of in my area and is a long standing practice. All people have to do is inquire.
                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Keeping the lines of communication open and following through on membership inquiries is very important. I contacted a local hunt last summer to try to get more information about membership, requirements, etc. Sent them my contact information, as requested, had an initial contact with promises to snail-mail a membership packet and information to me, waited for that information, contacted the individual again with the same request when it never arrived more than a month later, and still have nothing. I grew up hunting, hunted with a few different hunts, am now in a position to hunt again, and I can't get any information about membership.
                    After that experience, I won't be contacting that particular hunt again. There is another hunt in my area that I've capped with and enjoyed. It's farther away (3+ hours), but I think that's the one I'll see about joining next season.

Comment

No elitism at all, that's a smear thrown about too often, and I don't agree with it at all.

The question has *nothing* to do with elitism, and everything to do with a small pool of available riders that can or wish to hunt several times a week.

The original post was abut expanding membership. Starting with Juniors is wonderful, but expect them to drop off somewhat after graduating and getting into the workforce, where they have little say about taking off every Tuesday and Thursday to go hunt - as entry level workers?

Then, I merely was commenting that there is a huge group of people out there in the middle of their careers who are also in a tough position where hunting (as it is currently organized) may not really fit into their lives as well as other disciplines.

You use your vacation days to do the fun things you want to do. That's how it works. My crazy butt is taking a half day off to help my GMO get ready to hold a horse show that starts at 8:30AM on a Saturday. I'm taking a whole day off to drive to Ft Benning for a Wounded Warrior Horsemanship Project since the horses and I have to be onsite at 7:30 am on a Saturday, and Ft Benning is 3.5 hrs from my house. We will go and tour the Open House of their new facility and have supper with the Organizers, spend the night, and be ready to get busy Saturday morning. That's how it works. It's a pretty simple concept for us employed FT folks.

You find a way to do things that are important to you.

Comment

3 pages and no one has yet said anything about the problem of a 9-5 job getting in the way of rational people paying for a hunting subscription?
                        Until the reality of modern dual-income working folks is addressed, then I don't see how it fits.
                        My reality was that I either flexed a half day (and then came in on Saturday) or just took PTO on Thursdays so that I could hunt on a weekday.

It worked to flex the half day when I rode someone else's horse, and just met them at the meet. We have shower facilities at work, so I changed once I got here.

And as others have mentioned, I also have a young child in this mix. I hunted 10 weeks after my C-section. There were some Sunday mornings that I had to express milk on my way to the meet (I don't condone this dangerous-while-driving behavior) & immediately after.

It can be done. Maybe not by everyone, or easily, but it's possible.

This season, I was not able to hunt once. I didn't not pay or begrudge anyone my dues, because they help keep the hunts going. My combined dues are less than a month's board. Cheap (potential) thrills.
                        ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Comment

Everytime I am ready to take the plunge something happens to set me back. It's not that foxhunting has too many fences to jump before you even get on course, it's that I can't make it work. Sometimes it's heartbreaking, sometimes it's discouraging, sometimes I swear it's the universe conspiring against me, and sometimes it's even ridiculous--I swear my farm will be named Waiting For the Other Boot to Drop or One Step Forward Two Steps Back or Pile-on Acres even What Fresh Hell is This.

So, there really isn't anything a hunt can do to get folks like me to join--and I sincerely hope there isn't anyone having a run of bad luck and bad timing as I am--because it's not that the hunt is lacking.
                          Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
                          Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Comment

Here's another way to look at it: What if the junior you start graduates and gets a job offer halfway across the country? Or, what if the adult you recruited and trained as staff retires somewhere warmer? Are you going to begrudge the time you put into them, or be glad to support the larger hunt community?

People are always going to come and go. Sometimes life, finances, or health gets in the way of riding. Sometimes it doesn't.

IME, it's always a LOT easier to re-start a discipline than it is to get involved for the first time. The seed has been planted and, even if that former junior never hunts again, he or she will have fond memories of hunting and may get involved in pony club or otherwise indirectly support the sport.
                            ---------------------------

Comment

If you join a gym, and pay a monthly fee, do you get your money back if you can't find time to go?

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieK View Post
                                I swear my farm will be named Waiting For the Other Boot to Drop or One Step Forward Two Steps Back or Pile-on Acres even What Fresh Hell is This.
                                I don't want to take pleasure in your misfortunes, but this humor seriously made my morning.

I hope life starts to treat you better!
                                The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                  If you join a gym, and pay a monthly fee, do you get your money back if you can't find time to go?
                                  I wouldn't join your gym if I knew that I could only go once a week. I'd get a treadclimber

Now, if your gym offered me childcare, well that's mighty convenient for me and I *would* join because now I don't have to hassle with finding a sitter to come over just so that I can go to the gym.

In fact, isn't this what gyms across the country have done to boost membership? Make small accomodations to bring more people in?

On-site childcare, 24/7 access for members, dry-cleaning services, a juice bar, spas, etc.

All of these things help bring people in the door for for their own reasons:
                                  childcare is important to these 50 people, or 24/7 access is critical for these 100 people, etc.

Now, if your gym (ok, hunt) has plenty of members, you don't need to make any changes.

But the OP is seeing dwindling numbers, so the OP is trying to take a constructive look around at what you can do to boost membership and strengthen the group while maintaining the integrity & passion of the sport.

No one's suggesting a juice bar for a hunt, though. Heehee

Comment

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                    I wouldn't join your gym and pay the monthly fee if I knew that I could only go once a week. I'd get a treadclimber

Now, if your gym offered me childcare, well that's mighty convenient for me and I *would* join because now I don't have to hassle with finding a sitter to come over just so that I can go to the gym.

In fact, isn't this what gyms across the country have done to boost membership? Make small accomodations to bring more people in?

On-site childcare, 24/7 access for members, reduced membership fee for AM use only, dry-cleaning services, a juice bar, spas, etc.

All of these things help bring people in the door for for their own reasons:
                                    childcare is important to these 50 people, or 24/7 access is critical for these 100 people, etc.

Now, if your gym (ok, hunt) has plenty of members, you don't need to make any changes.

But the OP is seeing dwindling numbers, so the OP is trying to take a constructive look around at what you can do to boost membership and strengthen the group while maintaining the integrity & passion of the sport.

No one's suggesting a juice bar for a hunt, though. Heehee
                                    Last edited by BarnField; Mar. 15, 2013, 12:12 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

and you'll pay a lot more for those creature comforts, won't you?

Comment

And that's why I run instead of going to the gym: no commitment necessary.

Seriously, I'm in my early 30s and perpetually broke, but I'd be thrilled to be able to pay like $200 up front to cap 5-6 times during the season, even if I couldn't use the caps for Opening Meet/ Thanksgiving/ Christmas or whatever the big days are.

I'd also strongly advise that you put prices up on your website along with turnout requirements and an explanation of what your expectations are as far as riding ability/ hose behavior etc. are. Don't expect people to call and ask, because they may very well be assuming that if they have to ask they can't afford it/ do it-- like the "price upon request" sale ads.

Comment

WildBlue: "I don't mean to sound snotty, but it's cut-your-own-throat stupid to tell someone (particularly a teen or young adult) who could be a really good, solid member that he or she needs to go get the 'right' saddle, pad, bridle, boots, helmet, breeches, and coat just to be allowed to ride in an open hunt and see if he or she wants to move forward in the sport. To actually join and hunt? Sure--here's your hairnet. But that was not the OPs question. First you get them hooked on the sport, THEN you get them to spend lots of time and money on it... "

Sort of like when the Appaloosa association changed the rules so that youth/juniors had to OWN their own horse(s). Unfortunately, that required the plural, as it was after they'd managed to breed the versatility out of most of them. I love your 'cut-your-throat-STUPID' phrase.

And agree with others that foxhunting - perhaps unique among equestrian sports - REQUIRES 'book-learning'. Especially these days, when kids and adults are not familiar with life in the outdoors/rural areas.
                                          www.ayliprod.com
                                          Equine Photography in the Northeast

Comment

Working...
                                          X