• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

COTH hunting get together December 29th?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To re-iterate - the Dec. 29 thing is a Joint meet between Warrneton Hunt and Old Dominion Hounds.
    It is in the Warrenton territory, which means, their land, their hounds, their staff, their field masters.
    This is why I am being cautionary for total newbies.
    I just -re-read my own words above - they come out as discouraging. NOT AT ALL. Just trying to explain the diff. between riding with a group expressly created to bring-along newb's, as opposed to riding with a group with no such animal!
    I hope that is clear!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

Just Sayin'....

Hunters Rest speaks volumes. In my last 2 hunts....guests were NOT allowed or encouraged for joint meets. Joint meets are for MEMBERS to meet members and enjoy each others meets. A privelege of membership. They are usually huge meets and any extra folks are not needed. Nor would you expect the host hunt to feed the guest hunts guests! Guests should not bring guests. Only members can bring guests and as a guest hunt at a joint meet shouldn't be bringing THEIR guests. The host hunt can host guests but not the guest hunt.

It boils down to a traffic control issue. These are 2 big hunts. There will be over 80 riders for sure.....Also..... It's always sensitive when guests only show up for the big meets with breakfasts for example. They just wanna do the parties.

So if a host hunt member (Warrenton Hunt) sponsors your attendance for the day; then it's on them. But honestly, a joint meet is NO PLACE for newbies or green horses. There can be some antics that can be discouraging even. Some hunts kinda "show off" with a lot of galloping & jumping and huntsmen might stay out for hours !! Machismo in action! There are so many better opportunities to see/experience foxhunting. Joints are a private affair between the 2 hunts; not a public affair.
      Just My Humble Opinion based on experience!

Comment

Currently my new horse and I are as round as we are tall (and as unfit) so I won't be riding if I can swing getting away...BUTTTT I wanted to just give a shout out to Hunter's Rest to say that no trip, hunting or not, to see HR and the COTH crew in VA has ever been wasted. I learned a lot car following this last time, and HR has always done a wonderful job of exposing us Northerners to the best that VA has for horses. And the lessons I've learned every time make me wish I didn't live so darned far away!

Really - regardless of whether one rides or not, it's a fantastic experience. Just putting that out there for the too brave, too chicken, unfit or otherwise unsure riders. Maybe this isn't the right timing for you, but all of the times I've gotten to meet the COTH hunting crew and work with Betsy have been tremendous.

</sap>

Comment

Do we need a different meet?

What I'm reading between the lines is that the joint meet isn't appropriate for a coth get together?

If Betsy would like to do a coth get-together over the holidays, would that be an option? We do all love seeing each other and encouraging the newbies.
          Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by whicker View Post
            What I'm reading between the lines is that the joint meet isn't appropriate for a coth get together?
            No - what she's saying is that it may not be a great idea to bring a green horse. She does have hirelings as do other folks in the area - so if a person would like to hunt but doesn't want to bring a green horse... come out on a made one or one that has fairly hunted.

If the weather holds it should be a wonderful hunting day.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I have emailed and spoken with Hunter'sRest, emailed with JSwan and just got an email from WateryGlen. Plus connecting on FB. So thank you, everyone. I am going to try and get over to Hunter's (not far away) and Watery's (near where my horse is), both for evaluation, and go from there, plus talking about going on a weekday hunt first. So I might not be at the Dec 29 thing--sounds actually like it's more for members, not guests anyway. Today went on a fun trail ride at Whitney State Forest, which is 6 minutes from my barn. Excited also about foot bassets! Tomorrow will be at Christmas in Middleburg. Beautiful weather! I am feeling very welcomed in Virginia horse country!

Comment

Rebecca, you're in excellent hands! I'm sure that a weekday hunt, one where you can ride with third field and enjoy the experience, will be an excellent start.
                Just beware, once you've gone out hunting, there's no turning back. Your life will never be the same again. You will wake up every single day and evaluate the sun, the air, the sky, and ask yourself what sort of a hunting day it would be

Comment

I know, I am ALREADY doing this!! I have gone once before, plus I have car followed and hung out a lot with people who go all the time. I do the air, sky thing now for trail rides. This is MUCH more fun than doing dressage tests. I have drunk the Kool-Aid...

Comment

I can make this one - yay!!

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                    There's a Joint Meet with ODH. Should be big fun.

Maybe dinner the night before? Black Bear switched to their winter menu. It is divine.

Who's in?
                    Been wanting to since the first time and can finally come. Sounds like great fun - count me in!

Comment

oops - sounds like we need a different date.

Comment

or maybe not. My pony is up and at em. We hunted for 3 1/2 hours last week and he was ready for more, but I was getting a migrane, so we went in. Hope this continues to come together. What's the cap for the day?

Comment

I'll contact the WH and ODH masters and see if it is appropriate to have cappers at that joint meet.
                          *My* group will be self limited b/c of shipping (I've already got a full rig, in fact) so the CotH group will be self limiting in that only people with their own made hunt horses, that are made hunters themselves, that have their own rigs, will be riding members of the field. I'd say cartoppers (who surely are invited to a tailgate breakfast after - there's no house there, just a field) would be UNlimited and fun (good place to follow.)
                          And we can do some riding Fri/Sun for any visitors, maybe a mock hunt, and/or I can offer some newbies an opp. to hunt with ODH Thursday prior to this 29th hunting day.
                          * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

I would not have invited friends to come hunting if I had not already gained permission from a Master. I am no neophyte.

Guests are always welcome.
                            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I was too bummed at the thought of missing another get-together, so I splurged last night and redeemed miles for a ticket so I can come join in on the fun. Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks!

Comment

Wahoo-Wah! Cammie is coming from California!!! We LOVE our time with you! And the forsythia bush from Hell won't be in bloom, either, lol!

Comment

I did not in any way mean to cause a kerfluffle - Wateryglen is correct in that many hunts prefer no cappers on joint meets (no cappers are allowed, for instance, at any Virginia Hunt Week hunts, nor any Aiken hunt week hunts) but JSwan is correct, if she has permission for some cappers at that meet, then so be it.
                                  I did not/do not intend to cause problems - all are correct in that a biggg Saturday joint meet is not the right place to 'try out!' hunting, either horse or rider, especially given that we are not certain if Warrenton Hunt provides a third field (for newbies/greenies) or what.
                                  Perhaps someone who hunts with Warrenton can chime in regarding that.

Comment

Just wanted to update that I DID sell Chief, a week ago today. He will be hunting with Piedmont, and Loudoun West,so keep your eyes out for him.

I might join you for dinner, though, unless Belle is filthy.

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                    Decisions, decisions.

It is the same day as the TWA jumper show outside Fredericksburg I am planning to take Belle to.

Partly, it will depend on whether Chief is sold by then. He went out with Peidmont on Thanksgiving, and someone is interested.

I would not subject either Belle or the field to taking Belle hunting. Standing still, out in the country, with other horses, is not in her vocabulary. Even cross country clinics or group schooling can be miserable with/for her.
                                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I double-confirmed that guests/cappers are allowed to come to this joint meet - capping fees pay to Warrenton Hunt.

Comment

Thank you, HR. I am going to probably come for the dinner but am reserving judgment on the hunt part.

Comment

Congratulations, Janet! He is a lovely horse.

I'm not riding, but will come for the dinner and maybe car-following. I love seeing everyone, not to mention following the hunt.
                                          I do get frustrated that my SUV won't jump or do big ditches. It just is obstinate!

I guess I need a better trainer for it...

Comment

Working...
                                          X