• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

are these coats OK for cubbing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are these coats OK for cubbing?

Would these coats be kosher to go cubbing in?
    Brown tone - http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=CO

either jacket here- http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...tegory_Code=CT
    Snobbington Hunt clique - Whoopee Wagon Fieldmaster
    Bostonians, join us at- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Boston_Equestrian
    NYC Equestrians- http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/urbanequestrian/

I like the second one better. I have a sort of taupey tweedy looking RJ Classics coat that i use for cubbing. But I think either would be fine.
    Although when in doubt always check with the masters of the particular hunt you are going out with.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

• Original Poster

I guest with a couple different hunts, and the sale ends tonight! If it's not OK for a particular hunt, is it ok to wear formal attire instead?

Comment

What's their return policy? If the sale ends tonight, what about buying one of each while you wait to hear back from the style gurus of the hunts you ride with, and then return whichever one is least appropriate?

Comment

• Original Poster

No returns for this particular sale Then again, how long does cubbing season last? I'm starting to think if I just hunt a couple times a year, maybe I should just stick to formal season? Darn you, budget!

Comment

Around these parts you go cubbing in a polo shirt or a reg dress shirt! Anything else would be too hot.
            ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The herringbone would be very acceptable for our hunt. The brown looks a little more show ring-y, but around here you still wouldn't be sent home. We are very nice.

Comment

We do normally also cub in white shirts as well, but occasionally on a chilly morning one may see a hacking jacket or two out.
                being nicely turned out is never out of fashion.
                "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

just my 2 cents!

Either would do just fine around here! And what great prices!!!
                  Solid jackets are fine really, we can't all wear wool patterned jackets in the warmer early cubbing season. Just too darned hot. And the larger plaid or patterned coats are really getting pricey!! I love "show jackets" and notch it up with a patterned stock tie or solid stock tie!!! NO hunt would turn you away!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Moot point- they sold out of my size/pattern :P

Comment

LLBean.....

You know, LLBean used to have a wonderful Scottish light wool plaid jacket in their catalog for under $150 that would match up with any equestrian brand. Me thinks the horsie brands are frequently overpriced. Look around, don't give up!

Comment

• Original Poster

You know, I've heard of some people finding tweed suit or casual jackets. I wonder what off-the-rack brands have worked? I guess the only problem would be finding something double vented in the back. Does that make a huge difference while jumping? And why do hacking jackets always seem more expensive than show coats? I about keeled over at the prices of USED tweeds at Old Habit

Comment

Originally posted by linquest View Post
                          You know, I've heard of some people finding tweed suit or casual jackets. I wonder what off-the-rack brands have worked? I guess the only problem would be finding something double vented in the back. Does that make a huge difference while jumping? And why do hacking jackets always seem more expensive than show coats? I about keeled over at the prices of USED tweeds at Old Habit
                          Most "hunting" jackets are actually single vented, so no problem there when looking at a non-equestrian source. It's really a personal preference which you prefer single or double vents. The issue with non-equestrian jackets usually deals with the button placement, or that there are only 2 buttons and you'll need to add a 3rd. Check out places like the Salvation Army for tweed jackets.

Umm, Gillian's consignment prices at the Old Habit are usually significantly higher than going to places like the MTE (so good for selling, not for buying...). However, she just did have a July 4th sale, with new hacking jackets priced at 40% off. If you're not on the email list, sign up and you can get appraised of future sales.
                          Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

I have bought some Ariat Legacy coats on ebay for cubbing as they are nice and lightweight. They have a taupe and a tan plaid that work out well. I have proper English tweeds too and some from the Old Habit but for our normal cubbing weather they are generally just too warm. I can wear them on Wednesdays when I am able to sneak out from work though during the dead of winter.

The second coat shown I think would be absolutely appropriate at pretty much any hunt although might not be warm enough for informal days in the midst of winter in some areas.
                            -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Originally posted by linquest View Post
                              I guest with a couple different hunts, and the sale ends tonight! If it's not OK for a particular hunt, is it ok to wear formal attire instead?
                              Yes, formal attire is always correct.

Some Colorado hunting friends got great tweed jackets from Sierra Trading Post but just now I didn't see anything suitable for cubbing.

Nothing wrong with rummaging around your local thrift shop either!

Comment

I have that second coat (The On Course- though waaayyy back when I bought it, it was twice that price...) in the dark grey stripe (shown on bottom). It's actually nearly black, or looks it from a distance. I've never hunted, but was hoping to maybe try it this fall. So would this jacket NOT be appropriate for regular season hunts? As rarely as I wear a hunt coat (and I'm thinking this one's been in my closet for more than two years untouched), I hate to buy a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by archieflies View Post
                                  I have that second coat...in the dark grey stripe. It's actually nearly black, or looks it from a distance. I've never hunted, but was hoping to maybe try it this fall. So would this jacket NOT be appropriate for regular season hunts?....I hate to buy a new one.
                                  No, no, no, a thousand times no.

FIRST, proper formal attire can be any of BLACK, GREY or NAVY. ANY of those three colours are each ENTIRELY PROPER.

SECOND, from your address, it appears you are hunting in Texas. Now, if I was hunting on a Saturday morning with Orange County Hunt in Va., I would probably wear black. But Texas is a looooong way from OCH, and being as grey is proper anyway, I cannot see anyone being upset with you wearing it.

THIRD, you mentioned you are new to hunting. Being a newcomer to the sport, you should be allowed some extra leeway for the first few hunts until you decide if you wish to pursue it on a regular basis or not. That is only commonsense on everyone's part.

The only issue I see are the faint pinstripes but under the circumstances, I think they would be overlooked (if even noticed at all). They appear to be subtle and lucky for you, there is no hot pink window pane pattern in the jacket. But if you are still worried, simply ask a friend within the hunt to check with their hon sec for you.

Comment

Thanks! Now for convincing the crazy mare that she really WANTS to try this with me...

Comment

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                                      Yes, formal attire is always correct.

Some Colorado hunting friends got great tweed jackets from Sierra Trading Post but just now I didn't see anything suitable for cubbing.

Nothing wrong with rummaging around your local thrift shop either!

A while back, STP had Barbour tweed hacking jackets on for a great price...well, great price for Barbour, daylight robbery otherwise - maybe those are the ones you remember?

Ebay UK is a great place also - search "riding jacket (hacking, tweed)" in your size for best results.

Comment

• Original Poster

Huh, I never would have thought about Ebaying abroad. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                                        X