• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spring CotH hunting weekend in Virginia??!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All right, who is in the sauce over there? Shouldn't you all be in bed by now, so you will be well-rested for a fun day of hunting tomorrow??

I have no idea what that spammer is selling, but consider it reported.

Hope you all are having a wonderful time, and that the weather cooperates!

Comment

• Had a WONDERFUL time (and I am not usually a "gusher").

Chief was VERY interested in everything, but acted like a veteran. He stood at the checks, walked on a loose rein, trotted calmly, loved the canters and gallops, and pulled up very politely.
      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• we need reports here!

I wasn't involved in the friday activities which involved riding and shopping. We had a terrific dinner party at Huntersrest friday night. Mr. Hinderella cooked 3 kinds of beef and I thought the beef brisket was the best! Mr. H is a terrific chef and we are grateful for his help this weekend!

Saturday dawned cloudy, misty and with a light sprinkle so the hunt went on. Like hunting in Ireland! And the scenting was awesome! I car followed and we viewed twice, another carload once and lots and lots of action! 3 hours altho' the sky opened up after 2 hrs and many came in early in a downpour. All smiling, all worn out! They say it was 4 different foxes but we know 2 that ran together. Pack split towards the end. 2 longer runs. Hunt breakfast was gobbled up and then the hunting princesses split up. Some went to Middleburg shopping and I took 3 to the Piedmont Hunt point to point held in the rain. Lotta scratches, small crowd but they could "get the flavor of it" so to speak! Then dash home to get ready for the big soiree/state dinner.

Mr & Mrs Hinderella and Mr.& Mrs. Whicker fixed us turkey & fixin's for our dinner. The Hunting Princess initiation and crowning occurred. This time we specialized in blaze orange feathers on the tiara's !! (so the deer hunters won't shoot them!! ) So a roomfull of horse people with tiara's - ate, drank and was merry after an exhausting day.
        Sunday I wasn't there but riding in am and basseting (foot hunting) was on the agenda....how'd it go?!!
        Watery Glen lets out a big rebel yell tally ho.....!

Comment

• It was a marvelous hunt weekend, with good friends old & new, great food and lots of time in the saddle.

I can't thank our Virginia hosts, Hunter's Rest, Wateryglen and Whicker enough. We princesses were wined and dined for three nights in a row, and filled with tales of hunting lore.

HR has described hunting as an extreme sport, and I had a spell where I thought I'd run up against my limits as a rider, as the action picked up speed and I fell behind. But HR and her terrific SO talked me through my fears and got me back on track, and I'm determined to see it as a bump in my road to hunting competence. I have no illusions about hunting expertise, but I believe competence to be a perfectly good goal.

It was Old Dominion's junior meet, and I loved seeing the young riders out in the hunt field! To be honest, I most saw them speeding by me but I loved seeing them still.

The hunting world, or at least this part of it that I have met, has been incredibly welcoming, and fun, and I have learned SO much. It's added an entirely new dimension to my riding life, and many amazing friends to my real life. I thank you all!

Comment

• Mr. Hinderella, the Master Chef, gives the cooking clinic

Mr. Hinderella really was most gallant in offering to be chef for 2 of the dinners. He is most masterful in the kitchen!

We learned a lot about kitchen craft in his lessons. From the lesson on knives:
            The reason for different shaped knives, how to maneuver them, and that they are VERY sharp for a reason. For example, the boning knife was thin and flexible for following the anatomy of the bones of the critter. I didn't know that the handles are different shapes and sizes to fit the hand. It seems to be like picking saddles. The knives were kept in a puncture-proof special bag, like fine jewelry. The next time he teaches, I hope to learn more about the art of sharpening.

The Saturday night dinner at my home was prepared with the assistance of sous chefs Saint Carl and Hinderella. In addition to 2 turkeys, (We had about 30 hungry people coming.), the menu included saffron risotto, and carrots in a ginger glaze.

Mr. Hinderella explained the difference between the different nuances of saffron. We were to choose the saffron that had the most dark red and the least yellow coloring. The intensity of flavor and aroma comes from the red part of the stamen of the crocus flower. Saint Carl had picked up a package of Mexican saffron, which was much cheaper than the excellent variety of Mr. Hinderella's. We now know why. We learned how to make the risotto a creamy, yet succulent consistency. It's a tricky dish. While we made a huge quantity, it vanished quickly as people kept returning for more.

For the gingered carrots, there was a lesson in the different flavors of fresh oranges. The blood orange was chosen for it's balance in the flavors of the glaze.

We had broccoli, for it's soothing effect on muscle cramps. I had learned this one, from my PhD daughter. Her double Masters were in sports strength and conditioning, and nutrition.

Dessert included a delicious cobbler that Janet made, and a large fresh fruit compote that the chefs created.

Thank you so much, Mr.Hinderella, for a glorious gourmet cooking clinic!
            Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm up in New York picking up a *future foxhunter* for Riding Again (!!!) but wanted to check in and say how proud and happy I was for the successful weekend.
              It really does take a village to create something on this scale, and I wanted to publicly thank all of the above, and more, for passing the flame of foxhunting.
              Yesterday, Tuesday, I was out hunting with ODH before I hit the road (shipping OneGrayPony's horse home to Pa. and Jackie S.'s horse home to Mass.) It was **the** most beautiful morning.The weekend rain freshened the landscape (we hunted north of my place, towards Marshall) and a cold front brought in chilly air. There was steam rising from the big lake at the meet and it looked like a painting, huntsman Gerald Keal in his pink coat on his paint horse (the one that matches the ODH hounds perfectly!)
              Hounds struck almost immediately and off we went on a lively run, up and down Thumb Run Mountain and all around Winterset.
              We were hacking home and the first and second fields were parallel to me and the wee third field. I took a minute to observe, and do a self-check of all my senses -- a couple dozen horse and riders chatting away as we hacked back to the meet along the driveway, among them some of the most legendary horsemen (and women) in America. The hounds trotted alongside Gerald's horse, packed up like a school of fish. My nose was cold but my toes were toasty. The sun (it was noon by now) warmed my back through my heavy formal coat. I could still taste the pear port someone had offered around earlier. I could hear ringing in my ears of the pack in full cry just minutes before (they lost near the lake second-time 'round) and Gerald picked up.
              As we jogged along, I realized that it was the sixth sense that makes the most poignant observation. The reason we do this, the reason we share this, the reason we're all here - -either reading about it/dreaming about it/doing it/remembering it, is because foxhunting is The. Whole.Package.
              : )
              * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
                The reason we do this, the reason we share this, the reason we're all here - -either reading about it/dreaming about it/doing it/remembering it, is because foxhunting is The. Whole.Package.
                : )
                Thank you for your beautiful and accurate description.
                I've been living vicariously through this thread.

Comment

• Well said!

Indeed, HR has the gift of writing! Well said!

But.....

Does this tiara make my butt look fat?!!!

woooooo hoooooooooo !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Janet View Post
                    Had a WONDERFUL time (and I am not usually a "gusher").

Chief was VERY interested in everything, but acted like a veteran. He stood at the checks, walked on a loose rein, trotted calmly, loved the canters and gallops, and pulled up very politely.
                    Good for you, Janet! This has been on my bucket list a long time. It sounded wonderful.
                    Proud & Permanent Student Of The Long Road
                    Read me: EN (http://eventingnation.com/author/annemarch/) and HJU (http://horsejunkiesunited.com/author/holly-covey/)

Comment

• Update!

Wateryglen and new princess Majestic Thunder went foot hunting with the Ashland Bassets yesterday and had a blast with some HUGE bunnies and lotsa views!! MT's fiance' got some teeriffick wabbit pictures!
                      Carry on ladies!!
                      That's the spirit!! woooo hooooo!!

Comment

• WG, you know you can't mention pictures and not post a link. Especially since the season is over and we won't get to see hounds chasing quarry(Even if it's a short legged basset after a wascally rabbit) for several more months!!

Comment

• Photos soon, he is doing a bit of post-processing and I will link! I had a blast. I am so happy to have wandered across this thread, I had a wonderful time at Hunter's Rest and met some wonderful ladies (and some damn good riders!)

Comment

• Original Poster

Virginia peeps -- Please come to the Hunter's Rest tailgate (space 151) at Saturday's Old Dominion Hounds Point to Point at Ben Venue (16 miles west of Warrenton).
                            City and Natalie are racing (12:30 post time) and there'll be lots of fun and fare and friends!!
                            If you want to skip the entrance fee ($20 per car) load up in my van by 10:55 am to head out with me at 11 am, or carpool from the farm and share admission.
                            My parking space (my car'll be in it) is just "north" of the saddling enclosure.
                            Invite your friends!!
                            * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• See you there!

Whoo-Hoo-Waww!
                              (That's the U of Va cheer!)

Hunter's Rest tailgate is going to be the place to be for the races!

It is going to be so much fun to watch our own Natalie and City burn up the course. And learn from Hunter's Rest what goes into the training for steeplechase.

In the earliest races are the youngest riders, frequently on their ponies. It's sometimes like a Thedwell cartoon come to life. I love watch the dreams in the determination of them. (I always wanted to do it. But my Daddy wouldn't allow it. I'm still a bit jealous!)
                              Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Have a great time everyone, I will have to sit this one out. Family dinner to attend... Next time!

Comment

• Pics from Ashland Bassets by Mark Maskell: www.djmaskell.com/hunt.zip

Comment

• MT, the link didn't work for me.

Comment

Working...
                                    X