• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bartville Harness ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartville Harness ?

From what I've read they answer the phone when they first open. When do they open? I've found a Bartville in Christiana, Pa and the phone number by searching back COTH threads.

How does one deal with them to pay them? I really want to take advantage of their hunt bridle sale.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I use the order form that they send you, but you can call between 8 and 830am to speak to a live person and they can help you out. Leave a message if you do not get a person.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

You call between 8 and 815....if after you need to leave a message...They are good about getting back to you...it is easier to use the order form and have them mail it to you if that is possible.

Comment

The time to call them is in East coast time, so if you live in Pacific time, then it is 3 hours earlier.

I pay with cashiers check that way they won't wait the 10or so days for your check to clear before they ship out. No credit cards. Really check your measurements as sometimes they seem a little odd for the labeled size (ie cob, horse, oversize).

I really like the quality of leather.

Comment

So when is their sale? And how much off?

Comment

I go there all the time ! Brother Eli is awesome ! There craftsmanship stellar . You can call between 8- 8:15 . I never ordered from there just went the store I pay by check . They will do custom orders . Brother Eli fixed a halter for me while I waited .

My one friend rides sidesaddle he made her a balance girth for under $50 . The only thing I don't like are the stirrup leathers but in real picky about those .

Comment

• Original Poster

There was a thread back in November that said they were having their flat hunt bridles through December (?) for $81.95. I don't know how much they regularly cost, though. I need one for a small head who takes a cob sized halter, and one for a normal TB head.

If the sizing is quirky, how would it be quirky for those? Should I fit an old bridle and then measure the cheek length, browband and noseband from that?
              Also, how wide are hunt bridles' browbands and nosebands? Do they come with reins, and if so, how wide are the reins? I'd like to have a 1 inch wide cavasson and a 3/4 inch browband, and at least 3/4 inch laced reins, although I'd much rather have 1". (My good hunt bridle got stolen a month or so ago, and I'm just now able to replace it).

Comment

Cob is more pOny size . I bought a cob halter sold it to a girl with a large pony . The horse halter fits my cob sized 16h ottb

Comment

Call them tomorrow and ask for a catalog. If you get the answering machine leave your name and address for them to send it to you. they have all the measurements for the bridles, breast collars etc in it...very self explanatory. Then you can compare those with a bridle you know fits. I call in my order and then can get the exact $$$ incl shipping, then send it off as a money order.

The headstalls do not come with reins.

I've also got their laced reins and the one thing I noticed about them is the lacing does not have "finished" looking edges and there is no little indented line down either side. But now now after lots of use and conditioning, you can't notice anyway!! The lacing is holding up better than my "Bobby's" reins. Reins come 5/8in, 3/4in and 1in for the laced version

My flat hunt bridles have a 3/4 in browband, 1 1/4 inch noseband with 3/4 cheek pieces on the noseband and 1 1/4 inch crown piece and 3/4 cheek pieces. I am VERY happy with it

They'll do whatever custom you want.
                  I've got their nylon centered stirrup leather and really like them, holes every 1/2 in.

Comment

The 2012 catalog lists a flat horse size hunt bridle for 91.05. 1" lace reins are $59.85. 1" x 54" nylon centered leathers are 50.70$.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I'll call for a catalog in the morning at 7 am my time. Sounds like the hunt bridle headstall is just what I am looking for.

Comment

I also second what somebody else said about sizing. My arab x horse has 2 other COB bridles. I picked up a cob bridle from there and it was too small- especially the noseband.
                        Beautiful quality on their leathergoods
                        Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                          Thanks for the help. I'll call for a catalog in the morning at 7 am my time. Sounds like the hunt bridle headstall is just what I am looking for.
                          Just wanted to second that if you don't get them on the phone they are great about calling you back, just leave your name/number and mention what item you're interested in. I've ordered over the phone before and then just mail a check and my things have always arrived in a very timely manner. I've also called just to request a catalog- left my name and address and they mailed one right away.
                          Balanced Care Equine

Comment

Bartville has done "mix and match" for my hunt bridles, some parts cob, other parts horse size. The 1" hunt reins are the best!

Comment

Definitely measure an old bridle and tell them what the measurements are. Eli warned me that their cob is more like pony sizing. I ended up getting a horse sized bridle with cob cheeks and it fit perfectly !!

The halters seem to run to normal sized. My cob sized horse was a cob in their halters. It was only their bridles that were funky sized. Also, I heard their martingales were on the large size as well. But, if you measure everything and tell them what you need, Eli can tell you what size will work.

I love their reins !!

Comment

• Original Poster

One question. Good bridles have a second piece of leather that wraps around the bit under the bit strap of the cheek piece. It's hard to describe in words. It's just a leather flap that is sewn to the cheek piece.

Do the Bartville headstalls have that?

Comment

No true about the halter they run small . It depends on what style halter you buy. There triple stitch dark leather halter usually do . I bought a double stitched but measure the triple. The sizing is not interchangeable . Fixed chin vrs adjustable , the lighted colored leather runs smaller I needed an oversized for my 16.2 ottb . I was sitting on the floor in the store for 30 min measuring .

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                    One question. Good bridles have a second piece of leather that wraps around the bit under the bit strap of the cheek piece. It's hard to describe in words. It's just a leather flap that is sewn to the cheek piece.

Do the Bartville headstalls have that?
                                    Yes and that feature is also on the reins.

Also on the reins at the buckle end are two holes to receive the buckle tongue. Use the hole at the end of the rein first then if for some reason your rein breaks at the buckle end, the second hole is there and ready to go.

Comment

what is their phone number? I would love to call for a catalog!

Comment

Third on the measuring of the bridle. I had my bridle made for sidesaddle and they made it to custom fit. Plus I was having the reins and bit sewn in.

Also remember to choose if you want silver fittings or brass.

Their phone is (717) 529-6992
                                        http://jconnors1982.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X