• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Who else does not hunt during firearm deer season?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else does not hunt during firearm deer season?

My husband and I were working at clipping our horses and cleaning tack today, getting excited about our Thanksgiving hunt. Here in Michigan, firearm deer season is November 15-30, and as a courtesy to landowners, we suspend hunting during that time, except for Thanksgiving day. It acts to make T-day even more special, because we're itching to get back out there!
    Do other hunts do the same thing?

If I was in an area that hunted (oh how I miss it!) I would refrain as well. I avoid riding anywhere near timber or known deer stands during the season as well. More out of safety than respect, honestly. Something about a bunch of rednecks (I am one; I don't mean that in a derogatory manner) with shotguns, buckshot, deer fever, and probably at least a beer or a flask in their stand with them doesn't make me feel too safe aboard a chestnut horse...chrome or not lol.
    runnjump86 Instagram

Horse Junkies United guest blogger

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess what I mean is: which Hunts also suspend their hunting during deer season? I don't go out cross country during deer season, just as a courtesy, not out of any fear for my safety...

Comment

My hunt in southern VA suspends weekday hunting during regular firearm season (Nov 19-Jan 7). We hunt on Sundays during this time.

Many hunts continue to hunt during this time, but adjust the fixtures hunted so that the land owners that deer hunt don't have to have their hunting disturbed.

Comment

We schedule fixtures so that they don't conflict, to the extent possible or practicable. We never suspend hunting. If deer hunters are going to be out on the same fixture, we just try and avoid them. We have had to cancel hunting, or avoid fixtures due to farming issues. (beans still in the field)

We've never had any problems with any other sportsmen, even if they were hunting at the same time we were. At one fixture we joined them for one helluva tailgate. Two guys had stayed back to cook, and they had a big BBQ ready and waiting. They invited us to join them, and we did! Big fun.

Twice we've come across young people who have made their first kill, one youngster was a girl hunting with her Dad. We stopped to congratulate them, folks took photos, and we chatted while the kids pet horses and hounds.

We try not to interfere with each other, and to be good sports when we do encounter other sportsmen. Depending on your territory though, it may work out better if you suspend or reschedule hunting. Lots of variables, especially if you're hunting a lot of public land.

In the south, everyone hunts on Thanksgiving, though!!!! Gotta keep meddlers out of the kitchen!
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

All our fixtures are deer hunted, and aren't nearly large enough for everyone to be out at the same time. About half the land owners black out dates in the fall for bow hunting. Then the various (and very popular) firearm seasons total about 14 days from mid-Nov to mid-Jan, which means 5 or 6 of our hunts end up being canceled so the 'other' hunters can use the fixtures.

IMO, it's a fairly small price to pay to be able to use the land. Besides, I'm out deer hunting, myself...
            ---------------------------

Comment

Like JSwan's hunt, our hunt also schedule fixtures/meets so that they don't conflict with the deer hunters. Hunting is only suspended for bad weather.

Comment

Our hunt moves from Saturday to Sunday in firearm season, and I suspect factors it into fixture choice.

When I've had more than a two word conversation with deer hunters in the woods at least as many are grateful for game getting flushed in the middle of the day as grumble about spoiling their sport.

Comment

We change fixtures during deer firearm season and hunt on private land where no deer hunting is allowed.

Comment

• Original Poster

Our families have learned to keep the meddlers out of the kitchen, too!
                    Funny quote: Bob walks into Tday dinner, still in his hunting duds, a few schmeers on his breeches and shirt, helmet hair etc. his nephew looks at him, smiles, and says "shucks! That is exactly the outfit that I was going to wear!"
                    We have run into many responsible bow hunters who appreciate the movement of the deer provided by our passage.
                    So, since we have this brief break in our hunting (2 weeks), but Thanksgiving is an absolute "gotta do", because we are just a bit twitchy by then!

Comment

We don't hunt during rifle season. Our last hunt was on Tuesday, November 15. Our next hunt will be Tuesday, December 6. MY next hunt will be Saturday, December 10.

To fill the time, we have our hunter pace on a Sunday and an occaisional trail ride, but I really don't feel like I've had a good weekend, unless I've been hunting.

I really like the way the calendar falls this year; we'll be hunting on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve.

Comment

We don't hunt during rifle season either. Seems like its been forever. Next hunt December fourth but I think that's still the last day of Antlerless Deer.
                        -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Nope, don't stop!

In many counties here in northern Virginia we do not stop foxhunting during deer season at all. A few don't hunt on the opening day of rifle season as it can be crazy out there. Our rifle deer season is from mid nov until mid march!!! We gots waaay too many deer up here!! Most foxhunts & the local deerhunters have a good relationship. They shoot our coyotes too when requested. We WANT them to decrease the deer population. Plus we have deer wasting disease, hemorrhagic disease etc.

Remember that it really comes down to what the landowner wants. Many landowners tell their hunters when the hunts coming so they can decide if they still wanna hunt that day. Many LIKE it those days because the deer are less wary and being moved around alot by the commotion. In 30 yrs I've only seen a fox get shot by a deerhunter once. Ruined our run and resulted in him losing his priveleges. Hope it was a lesson learned.

IMHO, it's a peaceful co-existance.

Comment

At Camargo we have the advantage of having fixtures in both Ohio and Kentucky, so we schedule ourselves in which ever state is not having their primary gun season. They seem to keep adding "specialty" gun seasons, black powder, muzzle loader, junior etc. It's inevitable that we have some crossover, so then it comes down to landowner schedules and preference.

Comment

• Original Poster

We have two weeks for primary firearms here, plus tons of other specialty seasons, and still WAY too many deer. I was just curious if other Hunters have the same sense of anticipation for their thanksgiving hunt as we do, because of the break. Weather permitting, fox hunting starts again tomorrow. We have lots of "city folk" hunting around here, because we are just an hour out of Detroit, and it feels like many of them only hunt deer and don't really get the rural lifestyle.

Comment

Our hunts and even hound walking are canceled this week for deer hunting (we, too, have a lot of urban hunters. Many of whom fall into the "bad hunter" category.) and were canceled last week for weather. Actually, we've had several cancellations this month for weather to at least *try* to preserve the fixtures, in addition to three hunts canceled for deer hunting. I think EVERYONE is really, really looking forward to getting back out again.
                                ---------------------------

Comment

Working...
                                X