• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

An idiot needs advice please...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Equibrit View Post
    Option #2................unless;

You want to be viewed as a poser/upstart/ignoramus/wannabe, or the subject of scorn and derision.
    See: "Princess Daisy" when Robert Urich decides to take up hunting to get close to Daisy and ends up with the wrong boots
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Originally posted by talkofthetown
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Comment

I would wear the field boots for now. Since the boots are new you ought to go back to the store and see if they can have the tops modified so that they are snap on. The tops on my Dehners snap on. Even though I bought this particular pair of boots to use for hunting only with an insulated foot, fully lined and all that I still had it so the tops could come off. That way if some day I ever become full time staff or something I can get a pair of brown tops made. But if they can be made to snap on they will be much more versatile. I know the way Dehner does it you can't tell by looking at them that the tops are snap on and it does help when you want to really thoroughly clean them to be able to take the tops off.
      -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

When I worked at Horse Country I once had a TOTAL brain fart and told a woman competitor in the Field Hunter Championships to wear WHITE breeches. Needless to say she did NOT win and was told why. Quite rightly I was called on the carpet and was SO EMBARASSED! I mean I knew better. It was just a brain fart. We couldn't award her a ribbon, but we DID give her a pair of tan breeches for my carelessness.

So. What I would do if I were you is: a) go back to the tack shop and tell the OWNER what happened and how you were relying on the shop assistant for advice. Get them to talk to the boot maker. Not sure who made your boots, but Dehner can certainly remove the tops and you'll have a perfect pair of dress boots to learn to hunt in. If the tack store owner has any sense they'll absorb any charges.

b) next call Horse Country @ 800-882-4868 and speak to Jean about any other apparel questions you have (as an ex J-MFH she knows the etiquette backwards and forwards and many hunts' particular quirks), then ask to speak to Jenny in the book department. She'll send you the booklet recommended earlier, "Riding to Hounds in America" by Wadsworth. It's $6.00 new and you'll use it so often it's really worth buying new.

It's good that you have a sense of humor about yourself, it's indispensable in the hunt field!
        ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
        Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

new info!

I'd like to recommend Resole America. They are a franchise cobbler/shoe repair business that does work for most of the tack shops in our area. Located in a warehouse in Vint Hill Station. They take ship ins/outs. Huge operation with about 8 work stations and racks of boots/shoes being worked on. I learned they do work for all the local shoe repair places. EX: local shoe repair place will charge you something on top of what it costs them to send it out to R.A. to actually do the work. I found a Warrenton place charging $92 for full new soles on my boots. They don't actually DO it but send it out to RA. Resole charged me $55.00 to do BOTH boots soles AND new heels! RA does soles/heels for many of the shoe repair places in northern Va. It's a huge operation apparently. Glad I found them! RA does the work on boots for Journeymans in Middleburg even! When I was there picking up mine on friday I asked about removing tops and yes they can do. They don't put tops on though I think she said.

Comment

Originally posted by holdhard View Post
            Dear Blues Buster,

I get to have an opinion, as I have been hunting since '67 (not 1867, despite the rumours.)

Here is what you must do. Put your perfect topped boots away in a box, taking care to store them correctly. Next, become a perfect member of whatever hunt you have joined. Arrive on time, don't follow others too closely when riding, open gates, help with trail clearing, help with fundraising events, don't chatter while hounds are working, etc. etc. Secretly, in your heart-of-hearts, hope that someday you will be awarded colors and thus be invited to wear your lovely boots along with them. Never voice this aloud; make it your secret dream. Once or twice a year you may take your boots out of the box to admire them and condition them. Put them back until the hoped-for day when your value to the hunt is publicly recognized by the entire membership. Once this happens, you may be justly proud, but I hope not so proud that you lord it over newcomers who, like an earlier you, are trying to learn the ropes.

And have fun.
            Paul Mellon's love child
            Or, do as my non-riding dad did to skip all this pesky work. He got a bee in his bonnet to be a foxhunter (actually, I htink the problem wa in another part of his clothing) he bought a total packer, joined a hunt with very loose standards and paid for alot of stuff. Mostly alchohol. I was shocked when he was awarded his colors in his second season. Mostly cuz I had heart failure every time I saw him jump. Think weebles wobble . Then, he goes and gets a pink, so every flipping newbie will think he can be relied on to get them home safely if they choose to follow him and not the rest of the field, being led by people who know what they are doing.

Totally tongue in cheek! You will miss the whole point of hunting if you take the easy route!!
            Originally posted by The Saddle
            Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

Comment

JSwan covered this.
              madeline
              * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Comment

• Original Poster

Final update.

I spoke with the boot manufacturer, La Mundial, and they will remove the patent tops and replace them with normal leather for free as long as I pay the shipping ($115).

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do this or just keep those boots in the closet until I, hopefully, get my colors someday. I'm not sure if the boots will look nice or if I'll look like Batwoman if I swap out the tops...decisions, decisions.

Thank you all for giving me so much advice and especially for sharing some of your stories- they made me feel so much better!

I hope you all are having a great fall and, ofcourse, Happy Hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by Ridley View Post
                  ...only members with colors wore frock coats.
                  This is NOT universally true. It may be true for that particular hunt, but it is not true for all hunts.
                  Jennifer Thomas Alcott
                  Culpeper, VA

Comment

good to know

Originally posted by Jennifer Alcott View Post
                    This is NOT universally true. It may be true for that particular hunt, but it is not true for all hunts.
                    Interesting. The tack shop was in Middleburg, and I hunt in Maryland, but she never asked which hunt. and, here I thought I was saved from humiliation! Opening hunt is this Sunday -- I'll check out who's wearing what -- and ask the master!

Comment

I would wear your new boots and not worry about other people's opinions.
                      I'm sure you spent a lot of money, where those beauties with pride!

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Alcott View Post
                        Actually, no. "Correct" or "proper" attire in the USA is that a member that has not been awarded colors or buttons does NOT wear a frock coat -- nor do they wear a shadbelly. Most people are clueless regarding correct hunt attire, however, so it becomes acceptable at some hunts. But acceptable does not equal being correct. So the M'burg tack store that the OP was at was correct in stating that she should not being wearing a frock coat if she does not have her colors, acceptable within the hunt or not.
                        Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Comment

Originally posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
                          Actually, no. "Correct" or "proper" attire in the USA is that a member that has not been awarded colors or buttons does NOT wear a frock coat -- nor do they wear a shadbelly.
                          Is there a definitive guide to this standard attire? I'm really curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mildot View Post
                            Is there a definitive guide to this standard attire? I'm really curious.
                            AHSA rulebooks from the 1920s and 1930s spell out various appointments and items. I do not remember them stating the frock vs hunt coat, but if you research what was proper (or just speak to the "old timers"), you can easily find out attire guidelines.

I keep talking about writing a book on this, as it isn't that hard, but it is interesting, and I didn't earn the nickname of "proper hunt attire nazi" without a reason....

Comment

I'm going to go on a limb and say that while all traditions change to a degree, change comes much faster to oral/unwritten tradition than to that which is codified in writing.

I'm only saying that because if you believe that hunting traditions are being lost (not passed down from older to newer members), perhaps wiriting a book may be quite useful.

Comment

Yes, please write a book!!!! Pretty please with sugar on top.

OP - disregard Post #30. Show up to hunt with those boots and you'll be labeled a poseur. Not a good way to start your hunting career. It's akin to showing up with a scarlet coat for eventing or jumpers. You don't display something you haven't earned.
                                Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                  OP - disregard Post #30. Show up to hunt with those boots and you'll be labeled a poseur. Not a good way to start your hunting career. It's akin to showing up with a scarlet coat for eventing or jumpers. You don't display something you haven't earned.
                                  A huge DITTO on this.

(and OK, JSwan, I'll get started on it this winter...)

Comment

Actually SideSaddleRider, I beg to differ. Ladies without colors may wear frocks and shadbellies...and gents without colors may wear frocks, too. IF this is not universal, it is certainly widespread/ widely recognized.

And I too have often been coined as the resident turnout Nazi....

Comment

Originally posted by jennifersw View Post
                                      Actually SideSaddleRider, I beg to differ. Ladies without colors may wear frocks and shadbellies...and gents without colors may wear frocks, too. IF this is not universal, it is certainly widespread/ widely recognized.

And I too have often been coined as the resident turnout Nazi....
                                      You may feel free to differ. However,as I have already said, many hunts PERMIT ladies to wear frocks and/or shadbellies when they do not have their colors. Yes, such permission is widespread. No, it is not universal. Such permission, though, does NOT make it CORRECT, it makes it "acceptable" within that hunt. There is a difference.

Many, many people think they know "correct" turnout, when in reality they know "proper" turnout for their hunt. Again, there is a difference. Correct turnout says no frock/shadbelly for a lady without her colors. Correct turnout says a man can wear a black frock coat when he has earned his buttons. He should also then wear white breeches with tan-topped boots. But again, just because a male member w/o colors shows up wearing a black frock or weaslebelly when he hasn't been awarded colors or buttons, and no one says anything, so he (and others) continue to do so, does not make it correct, it makes it permissible.

Comment

I'm not a turnout nazi (an admitted fuddy duddy) but that's what I was taught too.

Frocks and shads were for members with colors. I'm aware that hunts differ and that turnout varies (an example would be two locals hunts who wear rust britches as part of their livery for formal turnout). Guess for every rule there is an exception. An example would be for guests who hunted with us for Opening Meet - the Master permitted them to wear the colors of their home hunt. But one should not assume that members with colors can wear them when hunting with other hunts. The Master permitted it for that day. (Which was spectacular, by the way)

Anyway - I volunteer my big horse as a model. SidesaddleRider can decide if he can serve as an example, or a terrible warning.
                                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                          Anyway - I volunteer my big horse as a model. SidesaddleRider can decide if he can serve as an example, or a terrible warning.
                                          Oh, an example, I am sure!

Comment

Working...
                                          X