• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When your horse breaks your heart...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want my horse...hehe.My TB mare although a little smaller(15.2&1/2h) is awesome at anything I want to try. Just did a Team Penning clinic this weekend and after studying the cows for a few minutes she plowed right into the herd of 24 to cut out the correct # cow. She self loads although occasionally we have to have a small discussion(stern voice and a smack on the butt). Seriously though, glad that you have made a decision that will allow you to find the "fun" again. Hope the new horse is "The One".

Comment

Originally posted by Kryswyn View Post
      I think I would like to ride again; on a lop earred, big footed, stout draft cross, or Irish Sport Horse. One I wouldn't have to worry about "riding", one I wouldn't have to worry about "training" as we schooled. Just enjoying the scenery as we moved through the woods and over the fields. I don't think I want to see the inside of a ring again except to get my muscle tone back.
      Amen. The perfect mount (and cure for anything) on a fall or winter morning. My Pop died suddenly and unexpectedly in Jan '09 which put me out of town for one week. I returned home sad and searched high and low for normal, it had to be somewhere. I found it the following Wednesday on my little horse in the hunt field. The sounds in the kennel yard, being on horseback and seeing that familiar countryside gifted me 2 hours to forget about such sadness. And if it weren't for my horse (sorry Lewis Black) I would never had been gifted those two blessed hours.

Comment

• Original Poster

And that last post says it all.

I was in tears last night, and my husband asked if I was missing Junior or if I just missed having a horse to nuzzle me and take care of. I answered him honestly.

The last two empty stalls in the barn happened when I lost my old showhorse and when I lost the beloved Haffie. So when I was faced with a completely empty, very big barn, no horse in the pasture, well, all the sadness just flooded back.

My husband has determined that me being horseless is not something he wants to deal with for very long.

New guy probably won't be here before the weekend, but... I can wait.
        It will be worth it to have that feeling again.

And you all know exactly what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
          He is going into full eventer training and after a couple of months when she figures out what he is, he'll be sold.
          He's a horse.

We are not horses. We can never figure them out, we're just blessed to be able to associate with them.

They are not going to be 100% 100% of the time any more than we are. We can train and train and train, but the facts remain: 1. They're horses. 2. We aren't.
          Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
          People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
          "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Comment

My husband has determined that me being horseless is not something he wants to deal with for very long.
            He's a smart man - your husband! Mine would agree. I think that one of the reasons he let me have (free) Louie as he knew Knowzy wasn't going to make it (soundness issues) and he didn't want to deal with me without a horse in my life.

Horses are what we do when we are not working and since it comes at a heavy price it HAS to be fun! Best of luck with your new ride 2ndyrgal!
            Libby

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry

Comment

When he asked me what type of horse I wanted, I told him I wanted a horse I could ride into a pub, who'd make me leave before I got too drunk to ride home.

He laughed and said that while he'd never had it put that way, he knew exactly what type of horse I meant.
              And I had to laugh, I once told a gay hairdresser that I wanted a style that would look good BEFORE I got out of bed in the morning! He knew exactly what I meant and we became good friends over it too. He actually said that he could do me, you know hair do me.

Wonderful decision on your part, so easy to give advice to others and then not take our own 'we know better' thoughts and act on them. Wishing you big grins on hunt days to come.
              Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

With time patience and trust any horse can do good!! If something matter give them the time and they will reward you 100 times~
                Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakend. ~Anatole France~
                www.EquineKneadsLLC.com

Comment

• Original Poster

The shipper is confirming tomorrow for Sunday!!

Of course, it will likely be the middle of the night Sunday, but I don't care at all.

They're overnighting the vet reports, I'm wiring the $$$$$.

And good customer service?? Let's see, full vet report, no charge. Re set shoes with Borium, no charge. Pull new Coggins and health certificate, no charge. Arrange shipping, I pay. Sending his bridle and blanket (he wears an 84"), no charge. Oh, and he's sending some miracle kind of spray clean white stuff for his legs and tail that is supposed to be fabulous.

Somebody pinch me.

I feel a tiny bit guilty though. Sort of like I'm cheating on my other horse.

But I knew it was right when I told my husband I was looking forward to looking forward to going out to ride again.

I spoke to The Big Horse's trainer yesterday, she described him as "Bullish" and a bit stubborn. But friendly and quite athletic. Yep, that's Junior.

Glad she's riding him right now. It's worth every penny.

Comment

So happy and excited for you. What an awesome seller to work with!

As for the shampoo...Quick Silver (blueing shampoo) is your friend on days you can use water. Trust me, I once owned a white horse: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...52639572maPmok

Comment

• Original Poster

So.... I went to see The Delinquent today..

Because they didn't really have a girth that fit and he's a bit big for her saddle so I took one of his down with one of his girths, sigh, it's a 58" on the last hole.

He is a bit more humble. Judging by the bite marks and hide missing several places, he is NOT the herd boss, perhaps not even in the top tier. Long way from his heart, hair will grow back, probably a Very Good Thing.

When I bought him as a 3 yr old, though he was the biggest of his group of about 14 or 15 horses, he was low man on the totem pole, clear at the bottom of the pecking order. That changed at 5 when after being a happy, obediant only horse, I introduced another horse and Junior figured out how big he was.

Maybe this will take him down a peg, so his next owner won't have so much to deal with.

He did give me the "mom, please take me home " face, so I rubbed his ears, and walked back to the car.

Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would.

New horse will be here Monday, and I can't wait!

Comment

So did you get your new horse?!? How is he? I am glad you are able to start the emotional separation from your other horse, and I hope you are able to find him a great home.

Comment

• Original Poster

The Other Horse is here!!

And he is wonderful. Everything promised and then some.

His name is Trooper, though he's so laid back and friendly I'm thinking of changing it to "Doobie".

This horse had me when I led him down the lane to the pasture and he just followed along like a big St. Bernard. Not shoving, pulling and being a jerk. Turned to me quietly through the gate so I could let him loose. Perfect. Came in the same way.

Stands quietly to be tacked up, and is wonderful to ride.

I'll hunt him sometime next week probably, but I don't expect any difference.

The Big Horse is at a fire sale price, so he should have a new home before the end of the month.

Comment

His name is Trooper, though he's so laid back and friendly I'm thinking of changing it to "Doobie".

Congrats, 2ndyrgal. I've enjoyed this thread and I am glad that it seems to have a happy ending.

Have fun with your new boy and please post some pics someday!
                            We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying the new guy. Sometimes it's just nice to be around a horse who is just as much of a grown up as you are.
                              Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Congratulations and hoping for happy trails with your two!

Comment

Dear 2ndyrgal,

Well, you'd said the horse does that with jumps and other stuff too-I think you're lucky that he's never decided to hurt you. He sounds like one of those "too smart" horses that have figured out who is really the biggest and strongest-and Yay! it's him! I had a horse like that, except mine did try to hurt me and succeeded. Horses like that are, imho, not "fixable". The trainer can probably make him act right, for the trainer, but once he's back with you it'll be back to the old tricks. And eventually he'd start unleashing the repertoire on the trainer. It has nothing to do with your training or riding or management; it's just that horse.

And just let me say that men are the same and I really really *really* envy you your husband.

Sigh,
                                  Huntin' Fool

Comment

• Original Poster

and the hits just keep coming

so, the Delinquent has been at the trainer's for almost a month. At what we consider a fire sale price. Potential buyers try him, like him, schedule a PPE. Sooooo the horse that has only taken one bad step in his life gets a stone bruise the day before the PPE. Figures.

I know he'll pass a PPE just fine, but he's turnng into the most expensive cheap horse I've ever sold.

And truly, he's not dangerous, he's not mean. He's just big, strong and opinionated. He's at the trainer's because she has clients and I don't, and I'm not in the mood any longer to deal with the attitude. His ability would absolutely make it worth it to someone that had the time and energy.

Comment

Been enjoying this entire thread - especially the determination of what it is exactly that you need, and getting there.

Recently returned to the fold, working with my retired OTTB, at a dressage barn because they do rehab, & it's convenient (am in the boonies), but I've been wondering, once he is at his max, what next? Very doubtful he'll be able to do much, but now that I'm back to riding, think they'll have to put me away before I give it up again.

When I see how showing has changed, it's not that appealing. Love doing the trail rides, but no one around really.

Best friend in another town has raved about what you all do. I've always kicked myself that I never had the chance to hunt.

Love how you all think, and does it ever sound like you all have a good time. Going to "change the posters" on my wall.
                                      But he thought, "This procession has got to go on." So he walked more proudly than ever, as his noblemen held high the train that wasn't there at all. H.C.Anderson

Comment

CVPeg,

Jump in the waters perfect.

You'll get lots of encouragement here!!

At most hunts there's a place for you to enjoy getting out (1st,2nd and hilltopping flights). I hope you'll try it sometime and OF COURSE post here with all the details!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh come on over, it's more than fun

It's much more like a passion. When I first met the huntsman's wife at a barn I boarded at, I had done just about everything you can possibly do with a horse. Truly, TB, STB, reiners, h/j, in hand, polo ponies, you name it, I've ridden, driven, or shown in hand just about everything.

I had a OTTB show hunter that was fairly successful, and was invited to hunt. Knowing there was no way that my horse was going to get me out safely, I leased one from the hunt.

It was a cold, gray day during the week, the entire field was maybe 12 people. We hit right away and had a screaming run, during which I was nearly certain I was not coming back in one piece. I was on The World's Best Hunt Horse, and let her do her job.

I was hooked, and since I grew up around hunting hounds and bird dogs, it's a good fit.

I finally own the right horse, and it is money well spent.

The right horse for me and where I hunt, might not be the right horse for anybody, and it wouldn't have been the right horse for me 10 years ago.

I like watching hounds work, and there's nothing better than being on a horse that "gets it" and knows where his feet are.

Comment

Working...
                                          X