• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question about Hilltopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Hilltopping

Hi, all.
    I am fortunate enough to now be taking lessons at a barn run by a hunt club member. I mentioned yesterday that I would be interested in attempting a hunt sometime (perhaps a hunter pace would be a better first outing?) when I felt a bit braver on my lesson horse. The lesson horse has as much experience hunting as I do - none
    My instructor said that hilltopping was more for green riders on experienced horses, rather than green riders on green horses. Makes sense

My questions: does your hunt agree with that philosophy of hilltopping?
    And, is it likely that hunt club members would be willing to lend an experienced hunter to a green rider for such a first-time outing?

I'm looking forward to working on this experience as a goal for my lessons - thanks for any responses.

Your friend the Hunt member is giving you excellent advice. It's wonderful that you have an interest in getting out hunting, but it is most sensible that you make your first efforts on an experienced horse.

I would think that every hunt, including ours, wants new riders to have a safe, positive first experience. Have your ever heard the old saying "Green + Green= Black & Blue"? This saying really rings true with fox hunting. Do yourself a favor, set yourself up for success and find an experienced mount for your first try at hunting.

Hotspur
    Metamora Hunt

Comment

Hotspur gives great advice, as well. And- not only should riders new to hunting have a great first experience, so should horses new to hunting. Either wait til you are far more comfortable with the sport before taking your horse out for the first time or employ a seasoned foxhunter to take him/ her out first on your behalf.

Comment

You should check and see if any hunt members lease out hunters for the day. It usually runs about $100.

Comment

Just how green a rider are you? A really green rider on even an experienced horse might be too much of an experience.
          Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

Comment

See if you could car follow with someone in the know. This would let you see some of what happens so you can better gauge how "good" a rider you need to be.

If, after car following, you think you can manage with that hunts hilltopping group then hiring a "made" hunt horse for your first time out would be the best way to go.

Each hunt has a different pace and territory, so it's hard to tell you how well you'll need to know how to ride. I've been with some hunts where they have groups that mainly walk and trot, where others walk, trot, canter, and have to deal with some pretty scary creek crossings.

The object is to have fun and to live to hunt another day.

Comment

From your post I'm inferring you are a novice rider. And the lesson horse is a quiet, kind, older horse. That is not a field hunter.

If you are a real novice and the horse is just a lovely lesson horse, I think you might be setting yourself up for failure. And no one wants that to happen.

Like others have written, car following is a great way to see the action and get a feel for what you are in for. Or, if your instructor thinks you are ready to hilltop, a livery horse will give you a safe ride.

Each club is different. Some hilltopping groups are more like second fields. They keep up with the field, and even ride harder because they have to race to find a gate, go through, and then race to catch up. Other hunts will walk trot canter, or walk trot canter gallop, just taking a different line. Some hunts have third fields, which walk trot, or walk trot canter to vantage points.

For the novice rider on a green field hunter, you may find that the quiet, kind, bombproof horse becomes a fiery little racehorse. Really. The time to discover his alternate personality is not in a field of 30 galloping horses on a cold frosty morn.

Since your instructor hunts, she no doubt knows the territory, the different clubs near you,and if she thinks you are ready, can help you find a livery.

I hope you do get out, have a wonderful time, drop out of society and become a huntin' fool!!!!
              Last edited by JSwan; Aug. 12, 2011, 07:43 PM. Reason: Typos
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Where are you located?
                Perhaps you'd be interested in the second annual Chronicle of the Horse chatroom hunting weekend/s here in Virginia? They are designed particularly with newbie foxhunters in mind!
                Granted, that said, indeed one's riding has to be up to a certain level before even that (third field, saintly hirelings, careful attentive leadership) is safe, but we involved in this expansion-project here in Virginia have that as a sole purpose in mind - to safely and lovingly introduce newbie (and re-introduce veteran) riders to the unique joys of the foxhunting field.
                Contact me directly if you want more!
                * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

Glad you chimed in, HR. i was going to suggest the OP contact you, but I'm so enthusiatic about introducing newbies to hunting through you that I'm afraid I'll look as though I'm on the payroll.

But seriously, OP, if you've got the necessary basics to come out, the Coth hunt at Hunter's Rest is truly a bucket list experience.

Comment

Come to our coth hunts! We love to nurture newbies, and watch their eyes light up and the ear to ear grins.

There are the clinic lessons to help you know your made hunter, and we all help you. Then there are the parties, outings, shopping and other fun surprises. You will be making friends who understand what you are doing and have lots of support. You will hear the behind the scenes stories and learn about the hounds and the reasons that we hunt the way we do. It is breathtakingly beautiful country, with long views of the mountains. We can see the fox outwit the hounds and the strategy he uses.
                    Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

Chaserider - absolutely contact Betsy at HR. She will make sure that you have a good first experience. I have ridden for many years, but was hesitant to try hunting since I've grown more timid over the years. I felt that Betsy's knowledge of horses and hunting combined with her ability to teach, helped me relax and to have a safe enjoyable ride. Set yourself up for a memorable experience by riding a made hunter with a competent leader.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you each and every one of you! You all make solid, sensible suggestions that I will take to heart.
                        I'm middle-aged and have been riding - off and on - all my life (mostly trailriding) and have now found - since I'm riding an OTTB - that I know nothing! It's easy to do a buckle ride on a laid-back quarter-horse. This! This is a whole new ballgame
                        I think the suggestion to lease an experienced hunter from a club member is a great idea. I will ask my instructor if that's a possibility.
                        And, sadly, I am NOT in Virginia. But here in central Ohio I know members of the Rocky Fork and Miami Valley hunts and they are really wonderful folk. I will follow up with them.
                        Thank you again for your encouraging replies. More suggestions are welcome!

Comment

10 of my 12 hirelings are OTTB's. There is no finer foxhunter - or any sporthorse sport for that matter! No reason to consider that a thoroughbred horse has any right to be more or less obedient/kind/manageable than any other horse!
                          * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

Plus, they all go on the buckle. Don't give your guy a pass on that!

Comment

There has been alot of good advice given here. Tb's can be very well behaved and go on the buckle at that. My Tb mare(former show hunter/never raced) went to her first hunt wearing "gasp" a hackamore. We apparently displayed good enough manners, as we were asked to ride with one of the martiarchs of the hunt club. Hope you are successful in your endeavor to try hunting.

Comment

experienced

an experienced hunt horse or
                                a calm horse you have a lot of experience on.
                                [we boarded across from a public park with event cources]
                                http://www.qpee.org/docs/home.html I just did novice jumps

my first hunt [over 20 years ago] was the latter choice
                                and it was early cubbing thus not real fast
                                it was however, the "pipeline", trappy coops in a pipeline easement
                                through a series of cow pastures. WOW what a rush. I was hooked!

it was, of the end of my second hunt [with a too loose girth]
                                that stories are still told. horses can loose a bit of water weight
                                even hilltopping, you may want to take the girth up a notch mid ride
                                Last edited by armandh; Aug. 22, 2011, 10:48 AM.
                                more hay, less grain

Comment

Working...
                                X