• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Hunting on Long Island - old days till now.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting on Long Island - old days till now.

Hunting on Long Island - old days (60's, 70's) till now - what can you tell me about it?

I'm from L.I. and, sadly, have seen it go from beautiful country to, well . . . I had a show pony at the time but wish I had paid more attention to hunting.

I believe they used to run the hunt through part of Harry's property in Nissoquogue?

Tell me all you can.

Tx,
    Sonoma

I left LI 5 years ago and the Smithtown Hunt was still going, but mostly out East. There is a nice program in place for land preservation and thousands of acres have been preserved, but sadly for where I grew up it's a done deal.

Right before we left the last dirt road in the Hamptons was paved over and developed.

Where were you on LI?? Where did you ride? I rode at Timber Point when it still had stables (40 years ago) I should ad that I grew up on LI, but left in 75 until 2000 then was there for 5 years.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Jumping in here.

I rode at Smoke Run Farm in Stony Brook and then switched over to Harry D. Did he not try to start his own hunt club when he moved further out on the Island (after his divorce, I believe)? I know my Mom went over to look at a litter of foxhound puppies he had.

I still go to LI once a year to visit family and am saddened to see how much it has built up. All the potato farm fields now sprout mcmansions.......I will be back there this Ocrtber for a few days....
      We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi Eventer & AZ.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, LI is not what it used to be. We intend to relocate in a few years (to the New England area), can't wait.

I started, in the 70's with Harry, then kept my horse at a private barn in Head of the Harbor.

I don't remember Timber Point, where was that located? No more potatoe or duck farms - lots of stores, malls, houses, so you can buy lots & lots of "things" - yay. Oh, that's right, you can to to the Beach (big deal, so what, ruins your skin, eh, it's all gone, isn't it . . .) (apologies for the tone)

I remember when near my bus stop we'd see ring neck pheasants, turtles, beautiful wild flowers, etc. The bus stop was next to my barn's three acre pasture; he had a run-in-stall but was out in the field with a few other horses most of the time.

Alas . . .

Comment

Ahh memories...

My family had a summer home right off Moriches Rd and we used to drive past Hollandia on the way to the beach... I remember when Hollandia was a dairy farm.....then low and behold one summer we saw HORSES in the fields instead of cows!!!

We later moved to Stony Brook and every fall I would spend every waking moment at the horse show in Setauket (right across the road from East Meadow beach) on the way to Old Field...... All the horse vans would drive down Quaker Path (a block from my house)...

I graduated from Ward Melville H.S. (class of '69)...

A few years back we went to Hollandia (I cannot remember if they changed the name) and walked around, but it was not the same as when Harry owned it.....

Now I am anxiously awaiting the release of the new book on Snowman.....

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.
          We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Moriches Rd. is gorgeous, almost still, although they've built on more & more of it, of course. Yes, Long Beach & Short Beach - 20 mins. from where I'm living now. When I was young we used to ride the horses over to a part of the beach out that way.

Wow - I didn't know Hollandia used to be a dairy farm. Lessons with Harry used to make my young teenage self so nervous. He yelled a little. Remember a bay TB named Prince, by chance? They are redoing the farm and it looks like it's going to be marvelous. Well, even though all new will sort of feel funny, can't go and reminisce. The old stalls were too small, though.

http://www.silveroakstable.com/trainers.html

What I'm trying to remember/find out is if they used to Hunt through part of the Hollandia property, well, back when it had much more property. Memory tells me they did but I'm not sure. Oh, idea, maybe I should e-mail the Smithtown Hunt on that (duh).

The Old Field Farm horse shows - how absolutely magical. I ADORE that property. They have some shows there now. Not like the glory of the old days but thank goodness for the preservation of that glorious old property. The main barn is redone. Many of the old white ship in stalls are really leaning and about to fall over, though.

Yes, I'm on the wait list for the Snowman book, also.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomacounty View Post
              Hi Eventer & AZ.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, LI is not what it used to be. We intend to relocate in a few years (to the New England area), can't wait.

I started, in the 70's with Harry, then kept my horse at a private barn in Head of the Harbor.

I don't remember Timber Point, where was that located? No more potatoe or duck farms - lots of stores, malls, houses, so you can buy lots & lots of "things" - yay. Oh, that's right, you can to to the Beach (big deal, so what, ruins your skin, eh, it's all gone, isn't it . . .) (apologies for the tone)

I remember when near my bus stop we'd see ring neck pheasants, turtles, beautiful wild flowers, etc. The bus stop was next to my barn's three acre pasture; he had a run-in-stall but was out in the field with a few other horses most of the time.

Alas . . .
              Timber Point was in Great River next to Heckscher Park. I grew up in East Islip and went out East for a while then on Shelter Island. Sad to see what's left, but Silver Oak seems to be gorgeous.
              RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

I hunted a few times with Smithtown in the 1960s for a $5 capping fee. We did sometimes go through the Hollandia property and had hunt breakfasts in the lounge of Hollandia's indoor.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ah, there it is; thanks BAC. Now how much more of Nissoquogue were you able to hunt through?

Comment

I moved from LI in 1987. I remember Smithtown Hunt and wasn't there one called Suffolk County Hounds or am I completely off?

Seeing development where I used to ride would depress me, I kept my horse at Melody Farms in Huntington and I could ride for miles and miles, one of the hunts used those trails as their territory. I remember one field called (or we called it) the boyscout field, huge field with lots of natural jumps in it. Heaven! We used to be able to ride to Thomas's on round swamp road.

An old friend of mine from those days 1/2 leases her horse, the only way she can afford owning up there. She used to keep her at Stanhope (sp? what used to be Melody) and I gasp at the board prices. She's now at a private farm, small, no indoor and pays $800.

Comment

Smithtown is the only hunt left. I believe there was Olde Suffolk for a while, but remember them not being sanctioned or something. I believe all the hunts on LI are now drags and mostly out towards the North & South Fork. I remember growing up at Rice Farms in the 70s and 80s they used to hunt at west Hills, Stillwell Woods and many other places that are now so built up. Beautiful shows were held at Stillwell too.

Does Westbury still have all the trails with the great jumps? I remember a drop to a water jump, the bank in the woods and all the logs & coops (some were huge)... I used to take my jumper and my jack russell out and hand gallop and jump all around up until the mid-90s. It was a slice of heaven even in the massive development of that area in the 90s.

Comment

• Original Poster

Found this (olde & antique type info),
                        Meadowbrook Hounds Hunt / Pony Club:

"The worsening suburban conditions which had shrunk the once-vast hunting lands of Jamaica, Hicksville, Woodbury, Old Westbury, Glen Cove, Mineola and Huntington, had now limited hunting to the north side of Jericho Turnpike. Farmers in the area who were sympathetic to the hunt were Ambrose Clark, John Schiff, Robert Winthrop and Sir Ashley Sparks. These gentlemen made their lands available to the hunt and pony club. Eventually, however, each succumbed to the encroachment of suburbia until only John Schiffs land remained.

The Clark land became SUNY campus: the Whitney and Winthrop land became a golf course: Sir Ashelys was carved into housing lots: and the great Whitney stable became the architecture building for New York Institute of Technology. As all these lands were gobbled up, the future of riding became more oriented toward pony club, riding rings in back yards, horse shows instead of hunts, and trailering instead of hacking
                        to meets."

-----
                        Say, you all have left out of here; must be a reason why.
                        I need to do that ASAP. I used to live on the West coast but that was not for me (boring weather, rattle snakes, etc.), landed in NY again, somehow.

Comment

• Original Poster

Sunken:

Yes, the hunts are drags. I don't know what Westbury is like now.

Oh, I used to ride in the trails at Stillwell Woods, at one point. Yes, there were some old jumps in there. Now I get it.

Comment

Found this (olde & antique type info),
                            Meadowbrook Hounds Hunt / Pony Club:

"The worsening suburban conditions which had shrunk the once-vast hunting lands of Jamaica, Hicksville, Woodbury, Old Westbury, Glen Cove, Mineola and Huntington, had now limited hunting to the north side of Jericho Turnpike. Farmers in the area who were sympathetic to the hunt were Ambrose Clark, John Schiff, Robert Winthrop and Sir Ashley Sparks. These gentlemen made their lands available to the hunt and pony club. Eventually, however, each succumbed to the encroachment of suburbia until only John Schiffs land remained.
                            For a little bit more fox hunting history, Robert Winthrop was the first husband of Theodora A. Randolph (Mrs. A.C. Randolph). They had four childen together. How lucky she was that she moved to VA when she did, and was able to spend her life as the Piedmont master.

Comment

What a interesting thread!

SUNY Old Westbury trails are still maintained by the Smithtown Hunt. They have a Hunter Pace there and at Caumsett State
                              Park every year. Old Westbury still has great jumps but I don't think it has water anymore.

Stillwell Woods is rarely used for riding anymore. Mostly taken over by mountain bikers. Who in their right mind wants to try to ride over from the south side of Jericho Turnpike? I have heard before from members of NSHA how nice it once was there.

The Boy Scout field in West Hills is just a field. I ride through there often enough. I always thought there should be jumps on those trails! Still think that field is to small for a really good gallop tho!

There are trails that lead from the north side of West Hills Park down towards Thomas School where there are some small jumps but it is very hard to get from there to Bethpage State Park. You have to ride through a development.

The polo field that was across from C.W. Post campus on the north side of 25A was sold years ago to developers. That was very sad. Also sad was the development where that big stable on 25A in Brookville that had the statue of the rolling horse. The Whitney Lane polo field is still gorgeous!

Don't know about out east as I am a "down" island girl.

Found this:http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...vives-suburbia
                              Last edited by ctab; Aug. 12, 2011, 11:18 PM. Reason: added link
                              "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
                              http://atoxcequestrian.com/
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/127749947563045/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the great article, Ctab.

"Stillwell Woods is rarely used for riding anymore."

About, oh - 15 yrs. ago or so, I used to half-board a horse in a barn right near there.

I've got such great memories of it. He was a nice, big bay TB. I remember it by the crisp winter air, smell of pines in a certain area we'd pass, you'd always see some really neat colorful birds (remarkable ones, not like the ones outside your house) and now I know about those neat old jumps out there.

Alas . . .

Comment

Wow - I didn't know Hollandia used to be a dairy farm. Lessons with Harry used to make my young teenage self so nervous. He yelled a little. Remember a bay TB named Prince, by chance? .
                                  I do not remember Prince, I usually rode a strawberry roan named, George. Harry was so scarey to me! Heck he chased after the horse I was riding to get him over a fence once... I got used to his yelling, but I was always intimidated by him!

remember one time, he told me to ride a different horse (from George). He pointed in the general direction of the stalls and told me to tack up the bay... Well, there were 2 or 3 bays there and I was not sure which one, so I just tacked up the closest one....

ounted up and went to warm up, Harry came out and just about had a cow as I had the wrong horse...., Duh, they all looked the same to me!!!

We could probably start a thread on all the Harry stories.....

Comment

• Original Poster

"I got used to his yelling, but I was always intimidated by him!"

Yep, I hear you on that one for sure.

I don't remember George. The "go tack up the bay" is not surprising; heh, heh . . .

Say, do you remember reading the horse show results in the daily newspaper, The Long Island Press, on Sundays? Or looking for the horses for sale in the Pennysaver?

Comment

good good good

good

Comment

"I got used to his yelling, but I was always intimidated by him!"

Yep, I hear you on that one for sure.

I don't remember George. The "go tack up the bay" is not surprising; heh, heh . . .

Say, do you remember reading the horse show results in the daily newspaper, The Long Island Press, on Sundays? Or looking for the horses for sale in the Pennysaver?
                                        Absolutely! We used to get the LI press and remember the Pennysaver. But the big deal was to read the horse ads in the Sunday NY Times! Talk about big dreams for a young girl!!!

I would get to his place early in the morning and sometimes he would be bringing the horses in from the fields. He would close off one end of the barn and his dog would run the horses into the other end and they would just go into their own stalls. He also had the dog (a shepherd) help get unruly horses into his indoor arena during schooling shows. The dog would grab the horse's tail and the horse would go forward from shock, I think...

Comment

Working...
                                        X