• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Brrrrrrown Field Boots! I found some!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brrrrrrown Field Boots! I found some!

For all of you that have pined over a pair of gorgeous BROWN boots, I finally found some (that aren't custom & didn't cost a fortune) after searching & searching!

I got a pair of "Oxford Brown Field Boots" from Dogwood Saddlery in London. http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/ . They are made by HKM and I wasn't too sure what the quality would be like or if they'd even fit, but the price was certainly right and I decided to take a chance.

Well I'm sure glad I did! They are REALLY nice! Nice soft leather and they fit like a glove. Pretty dark chocolate brown color.

So if you've been hunting for a pair, hopefully this helps you out!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Thanks for the lead. How long did it take for them to arrive after you placed the order? Are they fully lined, cuff lined??

Comment

• Original Poster

My size were out of stock so they had to be ordered in from Germany. They say they ship them out within 24 hrs if they have them in stock. I believe it only took a week or two to get my size from Germany to London and then it took them 5 days to get here from London to me. It was pretty quick actually! Shipping cost 39 GBP for DHL Global.
      I think they are fully lined and they have the full zip down the back.

Comment

JEALOUS!!!

I could use a new pair of field boots. Maybe I'll go brown!
        Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

Thanks for the lead! I can't really justify them now, but Christmas is coming, sooner or later...

Comment

• Original Poster

These are really nice! I wore them around the house a bunch last night to start breaking them in and can't get over the nice leather, it's so soft.

Only issue is, they are pretty narrow in the foot, I'm hoping I can get the one toe stretched as it seems my left foot is bigger than my right. My poor baby toe is pretty sore today from being squashed in there! lol

Comment

what about these?

The description does state they are narrow in the foot, which means they would never fit me.

What about these? They come in wide widths.

http://www.stoobinternational.com/al...all_boots.html
              2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Lucky you, I love all shades of brown boots, its a shame they are so hard to find now. A friend found a pair of beautiful cordovan field boots on ebay for about $75 I think.

Comment

Wonderful to know that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
                  I'm happy to hear such a positive review.
                  Last edited by supaflyskye; Jul. 20, 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
                    The description does state they are narrow in the foot, which means they would never fit me.

What about these? They come in wide widths.

http://www.stoobinternational.com/al...all_boots.html
                    Oh those look nice too! I haven't seen that website. I pretty much bought the first pair of reasonably priced (see: Under $400) brown boots I could find. I've been searching for so long for some. If you order some, let us know how they are!

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                    Lucky you, I love all shades of brown boots, its a shame they are so hard to find now. A friend found a pair of beautiful cordovan field boots on ebay for about $75 I think.
                    Isn't it a big shame? I just love the look of the brown. I can't wait to go to a show all decked out in brown boots, gloves & helmet with a nice tweed jacket!

Originally posted by supaflyskye View Post
                    Wonderful to hear that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
                    When I originally asked them about sizing, I carefully measured my foot/leg and they told me the same thing. "No sorry, we don't carry your height/size combination, you'll have to order custom". So I thought to myself, well the price is right, so I'm going to wing it and hope they fit. I measure a 40 cm calf height (to the back of my knee) and their "short" measurement was 43 cm and my calf circumference is a 35 cm and the regular width was 37.5. So I thought they'd be a touch on the tall side (but would drop a bit) and probably have a bit of room at the top. Not so much! They literally fit like a glove.... so much so that I had to have help zipping the one boot up because it was snug, after wearing it for a few hours, it loosened up a bit and was easy to get on & off. And they're not too tall at all.

Comment

attention petite brown field boot lovers:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/clo/2447681616.html

Or not so petite:

http://york.craigslist.org/grd/2502002244.html

Too bad I'm a size 10!
                      2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Or you could go to:

www.horsecountrycarrot.com

and get the Waverly field boots that come in more of a tan than chocolate, but have multiple foot/calf/height combos, are fully lined and have a full zip. They hold up well and are GORGEOUS with most hacking jackets (which tend to use tan rather than brown in their weaves).

If you're worried about buying boots 'online' then call the store (800-882-4686) and the staff (which sells a boat load of these boots every year) can help you find the perfect pair.
                        ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
                        Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Originally posted by supaflyskye View Post
                          Wonderful to know that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
                          I have Brown petries as well, they're really nice

Comment

As to the Horse Country boots - I'm sure they're very nice but most of us can not afford the price tag !

Comment

I was just reading the latest issue of Garden and Gun magazine, and what do I see?

A section on "Good Hunting Style" featuring GUCCI riding boots from their 1921 Collection. ".... A look influenced by the stroried fashion house's equestrian roots."

Yours for a low low price of $1250 .00.

I'll stick with my Dehner's. Those Gucci boots don't look as if they'd stand up to actual hunting.... Except maybe hunting for antiques in the Hamptons.
                              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                A section on "Good Hunting Style" featuring GUCCI riding boots from their 1921 Collection. ".... A look influenced by the stroried fashion house's equestrian roots."

Yours for a low low price of $1250 .00.

I'll stick with my Dehner's. Those Gucci boots don't look as if they'd stand up to actual hunting.... Except maybe hunting for antiques in the Hamptons.
                                Too funny!!! LOL But agreed, doubtful they'd last very long under tough riding conditions!

Comment

I lucked out on a pair of used Dehner's I bought off of Painted Wings. The gentleman who had them before me had the exact same size and shape foot and calf and they feel like slippers! Very pretty chestnut color (in my profile pic). They are well-loved and I hope they carry me through many more seasons!
                                  Doubled Expectations (Roxy, 2001 APHA)
                                  Al Amir (Al, 2005 OTTB)
                                  Ten Purposes (Rosie, 2009 OTTB)

Comment

I'm waiting on a pair of brown Treadstone Tuscanys to arrive... As soon as I get them, I'll let everyone know how they are! They estimated about three months to do the special order in brown, but hopefully they'll be worth the wait.

I was debating on the ones from Dogwood, but the height just wasn't high enough for me (when I was measured for my Vogels, the guy giggled at the length of my lower leg!). The Tuscany's came in a tall height of 20 inches for no extra cost, so even though they're shorter than customs, they are hopefully worth the $350 off the rack price.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh boy! You must be very tall! I had to order the "short" height and "regular" calf width combination. I'm 5'6" and figured I was pretty average. Their "tall" height would come halfway up might thigh I think!

Would love to see pics of your new boots when they arrive though!

Comment

That was essentially my problem as well, Muffin; I really needed the tall option(even then, they may have been a bit short after dropping), but they don't carry tall/standard, and the tall/narrow would have been slightly too narrow for me. While I may have been able to squeeze in, I didn't want to chance it.
                                        My Petries are 51cm and should fit me perfectly after they drop(I haven't had a chance to ride in them yet as I've been on vacation since shortly after they arrived).
                                        I've never considered myself to have terribly tall calves, really; it seems to be only European boots that I have to wear a "tall" in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X