• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Interest in Ladies foxhunting clinic weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
    Mortebella, your guy sounds wonderful, a really fun horse...at least for someone brave enough to stay with his level of energy, which you clearly are. I think we need pictures!
    You mentioned Tryon...is that Tryon in Pomfret, CT? If so, perhaps we're close enough to meet up sometime. I went to the Intro to Foxhunting clinic at Tryon last fall, and may attend again this year with a new friend who wants to try foxhunting.
    Thanks Hinderella, he really is the bee's knees, as far as his momma's concerned anyway. I'm no great shakes as a rider after 29 years away, and he really is a kind horse. No vice, no buck no rear no spook no kick no nuthin' but yeah, a pretty huge gas pedal, so he was perfect for me, 'cause even though I didn't have much in the way of skills, old jumper riders get bored pretty quickly if there's not a little excitement in there somewhere Not a good trait in a re-rider really, buuuut...there it is. So it was a great match. I don't have any really great pictures, but a few are here. http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f296/cocreate/

I've gotten some really good advice lately on helping him feel better and I'm going to take that seriously and pursue it, so I'm feeling optimistic for Mr. Whiskey.

The Tyron I was speaking of is North Carolina - unfortunately pretty far away from CT. So sad. I'd love to have more h/j buddies in my area...
    Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Comment

• Beautiful pictures, Mortebella. A horse with a good "go" is fun...as long as they have some "whoa" to go with it, when you need it. My pony loves the feel of speed, especially around corners

it looks as though I had a bit of dyslexia...up here it's Tryon, down there you have Tyron....oh well. It is hard to find adult re-rider friends, and I don't really know why. There seem to be a lot of us!

Comment

• No, I typo'd. It really is Tryon. That can happen awfully easily, especially late at night. Here is one of my favorite things http://www.fence.org/ I would hate to leave the friends I have in JC though...

And thanks about the pictures, even though most are kinda rough, I think he's awful purdy
        Blog: The Continuing Adventures of an (ahem) Mature Re-Rider without a Trust Fund...but, finally, A Farm of Her Own!!

Comment

• Loverly!

Timely Impulse! I love those pictures! Is that you? It's not me! I love that chestnut!

Comment

• An apology for the lack of news from the front

For those of you who breathlessly follow our progress, I apologize for the break of news. I've had eye surgery and have had trouble getting my computer to behave and stand still long enough to type.

Then there is the on going rebellion of the keyboard. The "V" key bolted, bucking off the board entirely, hitting critters as it went. When corralled and returned, it has steadfastly refused to stay on the board. It was put in an isolation stall, in case it was contagious.

The space bar has gotten sullen and withdrawn from the herd. It balked and refused to move when asked.

Naturally, I went to the source of all sound advice and requested help on the off course forum. The coth sages gave me things to try, then concluded that I need on the ground help.

I finally was able to find a natural p.c. guru trainer to lay hands, mental acuity, and a tinfoil hat to assess the situation. After a couple of glasses of a very nice red wine to encourage the guru to sharpen his intuitive preceptions, he focused on the situation.

The classic methods didn't work for him, either. Staying low in his seat, he waved Magik tweezers and used a Spesul headlight flash light. ( super expensive items from his website at Home Depot and Sally's hair and make-up wholesale).

The whole keyboard went into a frenzy of rebellion. The herd mentality took over. It was frightening to watch. He stayed outwardly calm, as he worked to restore order. Eventually, many of the keys settled.

The original culprits were still as difficult as before, but more entrenched, thinking that they had gathered more to their separate new herds. Some, like all of the mouse keys, had crises of indecision, and dashed from not working, to working, to dwelling, or going into parts unknown in the far reaches of the whole screen.

After another round of libations, he announced the problem solved. I needed a more suitable and co-operative string. I needed his professionally, trained-to-a-higher-level keys, in order to advance in my goals of working on the all important CotH hunt.

He had ordered a new keyboard, from Dell. The warranty still was in effect, too!
            Last edited by whicker; Feb. 26, 2011, 02:19 PM. Reason: Got outside help from gallant DH to proof read
            Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

• Oh for cryin' out loud!!

Oh Good Grief whicker! I HATE it when you use the computer and the pink sparkley flask at the same time!! HATE it!! Yeah, blame it on the poor V key and herd mentality.....me thinks it's all you dear princess!! But we loves ya anyways so.....carry on!! (WG waves her pearls, sniffs, adjusts her tiara and looks dismissively!)

Comment

• Methinks that perhaps Whicker will need a T-shirt, or perhaps a tiara, emblazoned with the letter "V" in honor of the missibg letter.
                Or perhpas this could be a whole episode of Sesame Street?

Comment

• Ok, y'all, I just had a whole big - REALLY cute, and REALLY funny - post typed out and ready, and I swear my computer or COTH ate it, one. Without help from any letter V or sparkly flask. But there is a ghost in the machine, and it doesn't want you to know how brilliant I am.

Comment

• OK, Mortebella, now you've gotten us curious, you'll just have to type it out again. My problem is trying to type on the iPad keyboard. I'm used to touch tyoibg, but there's nothing to touch! Or, rather it's all touch and no real keys. So you'll have to excuse the odd spellings and typos, please.

I tried to get the pony out of the snowy arena today, but she was a little too feisty for a bareback trail ride. I was thinking brief walking trail ride.....she was thinking WooHoo, the gate is open and I'm FREEEEEEE!!

Comment

• It was wet and soggy here, as usual...Mr. Whiskey said, no, I don't DO mud on these ankles any more, no thank you. Sigh. He did not like even trotting in the nice soft barn aisle tonight; he usually likes that.

The post, I'm just too lazy to recreate it. It had to do with a friend of mine dumping coke on her keyboard, but having NO IDEA why it wouldn't work. The look on her natural keyboardmanship guru's face as he turned said keyboard upside down and poured coke out. That kind of thing. Not that Whicker's pink sparkly flask would ever waste its contents on common office equipment. If her extra spayshul "crep" is at all like my extra spayshul "crep" it's just waiting til she wears a vintage peau de soie bias cut gown from the 1930's, or something. THEN it's spill, baby, spill, oh yeah! But on a Dell keyboard under warrenty? It never happened. )) And please be mindful to pronounce "crep" with the proper down-the-nose, vaguely indeterminate European accent, or I might become aware that all my extra spayshul stuff is really "crap," which it really is LOL. That was the gist of it.

And I made them get a keyboard for the iPad at work...can't STAND typing on it...

Also, I wanted to point out that anytime a keyboard goes rogue to the point of having to get a new one, you get to do one of my favorite computer games with it...called HULK SMASH!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by whicker View Post
                        I'm sooo glad you are going to join us! Now if we can get Mountain Bells from Montana and Carrie K out of Michigan this Fall, we are going to have to start writing books about our adventures..
                        I'm looking for the puffy pants and the tiara, so come hell or high water I'll be there.

edited to add: To V or not to V: so get that keyboard fixed! Because you can't write "Ewerybody but CarrieK was wery wery drunk" with no V!!!

Well, unless you're in Sowiet Russia.
                        Last edited by CarrieK; Feb. 28, 2011, 03:40 AM.
                        Proud Member of the League of Weenie Eventers
                        Proud Member of the Courageous Weenie Eventers Clique

Comment

• Originally posted by wateryglen View Post
                          And if Carrie K EVER comes to ole Virginny?!! She stays with ME!!!
                          Rockin! Cause you'll love me as a house guest!

Comment

I was just attempting to think about regalia...
                            It seems that pearls get mentioned a lot...
                            How about adding pearls to the regalia in honor of CarrieK?
                            We can do an honorary "clutching of the pearls" rite for her....
                            Dahlin! Pearls with a coat of tweed, it started quite a riot
                            Last edited by CarrieK; Feb. 28, 2011, 03:34 AM. Reason: to mention that's a quote and a pic lifted from Singin' in the Rain. But I do look like that In Real Life.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                              And I have no doubt George Morris would gasp in horror and faint dead away
                              Well, he is the original pearl-clutcher of the H/J world.

Comment

• Wow. Everybody with pics and all. As you can see by this 5th post in a row, I'm desperate for friends--erm, I would like to share with you some photos.

My horse Drummer.

Me rockin the puffy pants.

Okay, that's not me. But it could be.

Comment

• Is it too late to sign up?

Comment

• Sar 2008,
                                    sent you a p.m.

Comment

Sar 2008,
                                      sent you a p.m.
                                      I didn't get it

Comment

• sar got the p.m. a few minutes later...

Comment

• "Patience!!! It is a virtue." I tell myself that over and over again as my own little mantra.

Comment

Working...
                                          X