Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

This seasons Hunt breakfast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This seasons Hunt breakfast

Have your clubs discussed having a breakfast following the hunt this year with Covid being a factor? If so, what are you hearing? We are not having breakfast for the near future this season. Members will be allowed to linger if they are comfortable doing so and allowed to bring a snack to enjoy. By the start of the New Year we may be able to resume normal operations.

Curious to know what other groups are proposing.

That's pretty much what I hear at our hunt club ---through emails to members. However, my personal concern is WHERE will members linger? The hunt club has a bar and dining room (restrooms, of course) --all the members packed into the hunt club is not going to be allowed] [as many as 50 at times] --so where? Lawn chairs in the barn aisle? Possible, but dusty with a dirt floor and the hunt horses hanging out their stalls while we eat . . .

Our hunt officially opens Oct. 1. I drive 90 min alone with my horse to get there each week. Not sure I want to get up before dawn, load horse, hunt for 2-4 hours, then sit shivering in my lawn chair in the stable picking at something I've packed in. There would be limited "social" time as moving about and chatting would be problematic keeping 6' distance --and masks while eating? Just not sure . . .so I (almost 70) would most likely attend the hunt, and after William cooled off in his stall, would load and leave.

While riding to the hounds is a great joy --it is/was also a great joy to socialize with the members --this is what I will miss. I will have to decide if hauling three hours (there and back) is worth the effort to follow the hounds . . .I've paid my subscription for this season --so I will continue to go for now . . .

Comment

We are allowing it as long as you bring your own dish (no sharing), chair, drinks. Wearing a mask is required plus social distancing. Our breakfasts are always outdoors so we don't need to worry about being inside. Funny, looking back I don't remember being cold! Must be the flask.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
        That's pretty much what I hear at our hunt club ---through emails to members. However, my personal concern is WHERE will members linger? The hunt club has a bar and dining room (restrooms, of course) --all the members packed into the hunt club is not going to be allowed] [as many as 50 at times] --so where? Lawn chairs in the barn aisle? Possible, but dusty with a dirt floor and the hunt horses hanging out their stalls while we eat . . .

Our hunt officially opens Oct. 1. I drive 90 min alone with my horse to get there each week. Not sure I want to get up before dawn, load horse, hunt for 2-4 hours, then sit shivering in my lawn chair in the stable picking at something I've packed in. There would be limited "social" time as moving about and chatting would be problematic keeping 6' distance --and masks while eating? Just not sure . . .so I (almost 70) would most likely attend the hunt, and after William cooled off in his stall, would load and leave.

While riding to the hounds is a great joy --it is/was also a great joy to socialize with the members --this is what I will miss. I will have to decide if hauling three hours (there and back) is worth the effort to follow the hounds . . .I've paid my subscription for this season --so I will continue to go for now . . .
        I hear you on the visiting and retelling of the day following the hunt. Covid has not been a huge thing in our county BUT we have several members who are practicing MD's so they have been keeping their distance during summer riding. Our clubhouse will be open and members will enforce whatever social distance/protection they personally need. If a problem arises then even that will be have to be stopped. Flexible and informed is the guideline for now.

I tip my hat to you for driving 90 minutes each way to your hunt. There is one fixture we hunt that is a 90 minute drive for me and that drive home after being out in the winter air riding for hours just exhausts me. We have a reciprocal arrangement to hunt with club that takes me an hour to drive to. It's a different drive, skirting the metro area verses full on interstate at the other fixture I mentioned. I can hunt with that club just a few times a year because the actual hunting is fast, fast so I'm tired from that.

Comment

I regularly drive between 90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours to our meets. No opening hunt party this year . I Plan on getting a sandwich ahead of time for the ride back but no plans at all to go to hunt breakfasts, and I doubt if there will be any. So glad that hunting is something we can do and be distanced. This will be my 30th year of hunting and can honestly say it is weird.

Comment

No stirrup cups prior to hunting and no shared breakfast after. Only on the very rare occasion do these occur indoors, so being outside visiting isn't a stretch. People are welcome to be their own food, just not sharing.

Comment

We are having an Opening Day breakfast at an outside venue, but none of the breakfasts that are traditionally hosted at member-homes. We have been cubbing since July and have been doing tailgates, but with packaged food and farther distance between people. Some are wearing masks, some are not. I have yet to feel uncomfortable at a tailgate.

I am not sure what we will do about the stirrup cup this season. There was talk of doing it with disposable cups instead of the traditional glass, but I do not know where that has landed.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxglove View Post

Send out for pizza. That is what we used to do at my barn. Not a hunt barn, but still horses hanging their heads out over their doors while we ate, dust on the floor, and barn cats jumping down off the square bales to see what we were eating and beg a bite.

Great days.
                Rack on!

Comment

Rackonteur --Ordering pizza at first seems like a lovely idea. I think if you reflect on your suggestion of sending out for pizza you can see that this would not work well in the present social distancing COVID era --the problem would first be collecting money, ordering pizza for many individuals, and then distributing the pizza --each person taking a slice results in a lot of hands in a pizza box ---and the proximity of standing in line for the pizza --six feet apart? Remember we are talking 30 to 50 people in 12 foot barn aisles. Add tables and hay bales for seats, that's a pretty small area. What to drink with the pizza? Cups? napkins? Trash cans?

--and then there's the set up --who will come in early from hunting to make sure everything is ready? and clean up --who will linger to take care of cleaning up? Should a member decide to leave after eating, his or her horse would need to be lead out of the stable (80 stalls in there, 40 on each side), past everyone eating, drinking --not safe with a crowd of people.

We have been a hunt club for 90+ years (97, I think) --our board is made up of intelligent men and women who have struggled with the questions of how to follow government requirements and keep members safe. At this time, the hunt will run; the club and bar will remain closed; members may linger after the hunt and bring their own food and beverages if they choose to do so. Social distance is expected. I suppose if a few chose to send out for pizza --that could be done --but I will not be among them. Too risky at my age.

Comment

Original Poster

We ended up having delicious box lunches after Opening Hunt his past weekend. Tables were set up outside and members decided how many people they were comfortable with at their table and no one thought any ill feelings towards those who topped off at 4 at the table verses other tables that had a few more people seated. It worked out nice.

Winter weather won't allow us to do this anymore but it sure was fun for Opening Hunt to have the time together afterwards to visit.

Comment

So far the weather has allowed us to gather outdoors with lawn chairs and our individually brought lunches --that will change on our next hunt --weather has gotten colder, rain/snow predicted ---there is talk of using the indoor ring . . .right now, however, our state limits gatherings . . .so may not happen ---

Comment

Working...
                      X