Sport Horse Spotlight

Friend Or FoeęBrantGammaPhotos.WC7B1578

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You´┐Żre responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it´┐Żdetails of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums´┐Ż policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it´┐Żs understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users´┐Ż profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses ´┐Ż Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it´┐Żs related to a horse for sale, regardless of who´┐Żs selling it, it doesn´┐Żt belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions ´┐Ż Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services ´┐Ż Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products ´┐Ż While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements ´┐Ż Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be ´┐Żbumped´┐Ż excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues ´┐Ż Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators´┐Ż discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the ´┐Żalert´┐Ż button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your ´┐ŻIgnore´┐Ż list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you´┐Żd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user´┐Żs membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Accidents while hunting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidents while hunting

How do you safeguard? How do you prepare for the worst?
    Last edited by gothedistance; Feb. 20, 2008, 06:33 AM.

being prepared

When I hunt, I always put $20, a credit card, drivers license and insurance card in my pants pocket. I figure it might not hurt to have them if I have to go from field to hospital. My wife finds that kind of preparation to be a bit oogy.

This year I've been around two accidents. The first happened last spring when one horse stepped in a hole and slammed into another while crashing. Both riders came off and were injured. A stock tie was used as a temporary sling and another as a bandage.

The second one was in the most recent copy of Horse Country. The horse that was injured during the hound performance trials happened in front of me. I dismounted and gave my horse to one of the car followers and went to help the rider with the injured horse. She removed her stock tie nad wrapped the leg. Then we took my dress tie and wrapped that around to help staunch the bleeding until the vet got there.

Comment

It is sad to say. I'm hunting here in Belgium (draghunting). I rode a 'bastard' horse with quite some Arabian blood in. I was 16 at the time (2003)

My horse couldn't cover those broad ditches, and we fell more than once. Sometimes there wasn't any way to avoid them...

In 2003 I was about te start eventing with my more advanced horse (which had a bigger en scopier jump than the Arabian). I don't know how it came to my mind to jump that huge fence (it was about 1m30, fallen tree). She tried to jump it as I asked her (stupid girl that I am!), but she couldn't get so high, so she fell. I can remember myself trying to get up. I couldn't because my hip was sprained. Happily, my mare wasn't wounded. I almost lost all my teeth... I won't so the same mistake again, I assure you.

I also saw some terrible accidents happening to others. Someone almost broke his neck.
      An other quite good rider, had to have his horse put down, due to an unsafe fence. The fence was destroyed by a horse running before him. The rider couldn't avoid his horse to jump anymore. The horse got stuck in the fence and got his arteria ruptured.

Sad memories... But there are so many good ones! And compared to eventing, there are far less accidents in hunting.

Comment

When we take the girls out hunting we always carry a copy of their medical release forms, just in case. I always have my cell phone with me, and generally remember to have my insurance card, but don't always remember that. I have seen several bad falls out hunting, thankfully none involving me or our girls, but enough to make me very grateful everytime we arrive back at the trailers safely.

Comment

17 years so far so good -1

in the hunt field I have had only one injury requiring medical intervention when I got home.
          I was ok enough to ride back to the trailer and get home.
          by then my foot hurt enough to see the ortho dr.
          sure enough I had a few broken bones.
          I have seen some not as lucky as I have been,
          and have had worse luck my self, but not in the hunt field.
          there but for the grace of god go we.
          and for that reason we should all be prepared to stop and help.
          more hay, less grain

Comment

I've only been hunting a few years - but am amazed that I've had to render first aid twice. And I don't even go out all the time.

What surprised me is the number of people who don't know basic first aid. We really should. Every foxhunter should be able to perform basic first aid, and be CPR trained.

I've also noticed have a field master with a good "command voice" is really helpful. Often, people mill about or too many try to do too much - and it's helpful if a person can say - No - you ride ahead. You - hold that horse. You - take the field and continue on. You and you and you - go to the road and help guide EMS in.

That sort of thing.

Nice thing is - foxhunters are a pretty tough bunch of folks and tend not to fall apart. Well - figuratively speaking. We literally do fall apart quite a bit.

A fellow hunter just returned my stock tie, along with a bottle of wine from his vineyard. Pretty cool - I help him with his injury and I get free booze! I'll have to start knocking people off their horses more often.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Quazzle View Post
              It is sad to say. I'm hunting here in Belgium (draghunting). )
              Quazzle - welcome! I lived in Belgium many years ago. In fact - the most beautiful horse in the entire world lived ride down the road from me. She was Percheron mare and I used to spend all afternoon petting her through the fence and feeding her grass. I loved that horse - but never knew her name. Wonderful childhood memory.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Glad your hunt staff was not hurt worse, still it's scary waiting for help.

Must be the week for horses to tank out in holes as a member of our staff had almost the exact same thing happen. Word on the street is final damage was a cracked rib and broken finger. Either one of those things would make me cry.

Comment

I've only been hurt once in the hunt field, all my fault...we were on a really hot line and hauling butt and I was following too closely. We were going from a wide open field into the woods over a fairly narrow coop, so the entire field was trying to funnel down to single file while going full out. The horse in front of me put in a really dirty stop at the base of the coop and we slammed into his butt which he took great offense to and promptly kicked out, missing my horse and catching me on the front of my leg just above my boot. It sounded like wood cracking. We didn't even slow down, somehow we all scrambled over the fence and kept going until 20 minutes or so later when the hounds lost the line. Someone happened to look at my leg and they gasped (I hadn't looked before then) There was a lot of blood, flesh and bone was showing. It didn't hurt too bad until I saw it!

The master made me hack back with a staff member and when I got home I had to go to the hospital for stitches, but fortunately no broken bones! Fortunately all my other spills and thrills have never resulted in anything more than bruises. I do think fox hunters are hardier than the average Joe.....

Comment

When I was unhorsed last year (with help from someone else's ill behaved kicker, but I digress) and given a shattered wrist in the hunt field, several members came to my aid. THey splinted my arm with a riding crop and some stock ties and made a sling out of a stock tie.
                    Then one of the staff called for the truck to come collect me. There is a reason why we wear the things we do.
                    Thank God this is an expensive sport and there are usually lots of doctors and such doing it
                    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

This is why you need to teach your horse to pony or be ponied. I had to pony a horse just the other day when a hound fell off a cliff and someone had to go on foot to rescue it. I have also ponied horses who's riders have been injured on at least two occaisions. One time it was several miles. I ponied him at the walk, trot, and even canter.
                      -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Comment

Yikes! I just found out about poor Liz today--went trail riding at Old Rag with a couple of the staff and a few other friends and was told she got hurt.

Those perc holes out there have almost gotten me in trouble a couple of times, too! I *know* they're all over the place out there, but in the heat of the moment, I tend to get more focused on what hounds are doing and pay less attention than I should to the ground in front of me. Poor Zorro has sunk down to his belly in a couple of those old perc holes!

I'm just glad that Liz wasn't hurt any worse.
                        Jennifer Thomas Alcott
                        Culpeper, VA

Comment

"Odd" nurse weighs in here!

GTD! Excellent write up, excellent suggestions. And one of the reasons I wear a 4 fold stock on weekends especially. They are soooo useful. Have used them as horse leg bandages for bleeding, shoulder/arm splints, wraps etc. Also I think car followers can be a BIG help in these situations also.

We need to always follow up with the landowners too in these situations. Thank them for allowing the vehicles onto thier fields and reassure them there's no liability. It can be alarming to look out or hear about that kind of commotion....especially when it involves helicopters! Keep them informed. Bring them flowers, a note, a bottle, something for thanks IMHO. I actually advise the injured party go visit them afterwards and thank them. Good PR. I bring flowers to my local landowners when I crash & burn on their place!

Since the largest # of injuries are concussions. Don't let someone get up, move around, ride back, continue hunting. Their judgement may be impaired and they don't know how bad they are injured and unless you are skilled at neurologic assessment; it's better to assume injury until the professionals arrive. Any klunk on the haid even with a helmet requires one to be kept quiet. Limit physical exertion as it drives up ones blood pressure and that increases pressure inside the brain and that's a bad thing after a concussion. Remember concussions come in degrees. Like "being fat"!= there's a little bit to a lot!! And they can "blossom" ie: an hour, many hours later the swelling occurs and they can worsen. They may not be looking impaired initially. ANY concussion is brain TISSUE damage at the cellular level. And consussions are cumulative over your lifetime. Little bits of damage make old horsepeople a little bit "odd"!!! Good rule of thumb- if they have a headache=get assessed, no riding, no exertion. IF they've lost consciousness (got knocked out) absolutely MUST go to hospital even if it was for just a few moments.

When calling 911; report what you know with as much detail as you can. Such as..."Middle aged woman fell off galloping horse, didn't move at first but is now saying her back & shoulder hurt." To them that means a high impact injury, probable head injury, back injury(spinal) and possible broken bones. Also that she has regained consciousness & is breathing. Most EMT companies in hunt country are used to horse related calls and know when the hunts go out. Many are volunteer companies. I also recommend the hurt individual and/or the hunt should make a contribution to the dept. afterwards. Money says thank you! A good relationship with your local life savers is always a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Painted Wings View Post
                            This is why you need to teach your horse to pony or be ponied. I had to pony a horse just the other day when a hound fell off a cliff and someone had to go on foot to rescue it. I have also ponied horses who's riders have been injured on at least two occaisions. One time it was several miles. I ponied him at the walk, trot, and even canter.
                            Oh my - is the hound ok?

Go the distance - I only knock certain people off their horses - unless you own a vineyard and can supply me with a fabulous Merlot - you're pretty safe.

Yesterday we were out for hours and it was nothing but braces. It was crazy. Fox everywhere. At one point we saw the hunted fox calmly walk along the edge of a field next to woods, sit down, and actually watch the hounds - must have been for about two minutes. Then the fox got up - and I swear he flipped the hounds the bird - and vanished into the woods. Hounds were still in the middle of the field - just could not pick up the scent. Smart fox.

But Lord have mercy - that footing was greasy. We took it pretty slow. That has got to be the most dangerous footing, don't y'all think? I hate being out when it's like that - some areas were ok - and then WHAM - you hit a bad spot. When I got home I gave my horse a great big huge hug for taking such good care of us. He also got extra peppermints.

Glad your person didn't suffer any lasting damage.

I was thinking I needed to brush up on my first aid skills - it's been a long time since I attended classes.

ETA - I've noticed that if a person is yelling at the EMT's to not cut their boots off, or if they keep reminding you where their tailgate contribution is located - they're going to be ok.
                            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by wateryglen View Post
                              Since the largest # of injuries are concussions. Don't let someone get up, move around, ride back, continue hunting. Their judgement may be impaired and they don't know how bad they are injured and unless you are skilled at neurologic assessment; it's better to assume injury until the professionals arrive. Any klunk on the haid even with a helmet requires one to be kept quiet. Limit physical exertion as it drives up ones blood pressure and that increases pressure inside the brain and that's a bad thing after a concussion. Remember concussions come in degrees. Like "being fat"!= there's a little bit to a lot!! And they can "blossom" ie: an hour, many hours later the swelling occurs and they can worsen. They may not be looking impaired initially. ANY concussion is brain TISSUE damage at the cellular level. And consussions are cumulative over your lifetime. Little bits of damage make old horsepeople a little bit "odd"!!! Good rule of thumb- if they have a headache=get assessed, no riding, no exertion. IF they've lost consciousness (got knocked out) absolutely MUST go to hospital even if it was for just a few moments.
                              So true! My only fall to date in the hunt field was over an in and out that was 1 1/2 strides rather than the two I was expecting. I didn't think I'd been concussed and of course, I remounted and finished the hunt. It wasn't until I got home and started seeing pinpricks of light dancing in front of my eyes that I realized I probably had hit my head harder than I thought.
                              Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                              EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by wateryglen View Post
                                GTD! Any klunk on the haid even with a helmet requires one to be kept quiet. .. They may not be looking impaired initially. .. IF they've lost consciousness (got knocked out) absolutely MUST go to hospital even if it was for just a few moments.
                                Headache OR nausea. Or not remembering what happened or not being able to identify familiar people. Won my ambulance ride with that one Luckily, not too bad as concussions go, but I still have no memory of that ENTIRE day. gone. vanished.

Comment

The Eventing Association has a good brochure on how to recognize and respond to concussions:

http://www.useventing.com/resources/...n-Brochure.pdf

Also, a few yers ago, Karen McKay, a member of Fairfax Hunt and an EMT, wrote an article called "Rider Down, An Emergency Medicine Guide for First Repsonders in the Hunt Field"

I can not find that it is posted on the web, but if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I will send you a scan of the article. (Thank you Karen)

Comment

First Aid Kits

Because Mr. Earthto takes Plavix, I keep a very well stocked first aid kit in my truck. Needless to say it would be offered up for any injuries while I am out truck hunting. That is if my guide comes back to take me out. Hint. Hint.

Comment

Mudroom! Thank you! That eventing brochure is spot on! Excellent! Outstanding! Should be mandatory reading for all riders/foxhunters etc. Folks don't take concussions seriously because you can't see/feel it I think.

When returning to any exercise after one; if you feel any throbbing in your head, dizziness, anything abnormal = stop the excercise. I had one once where symptoms kept showing up when I walked fast, up stairs, up a hill, got up from a chair too quickly, bent over where my head was lower, grunted, lifted heavy things. The head throbbing lasted for almost 2 months after the concussion which was a typical bell ringer kind! ANY kind of headache? Forget about exercise of any kind; nevermind riding. Wait, wait , wait to heal. It's the only brain you have ya know!!!

And these repeated small head injuries are why so many horsepeople are just plain "odd" IMHO!!! well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

I agree with all the advice given. One thing that I did think of during a hunt when a rider was down, stable, talking but clearly in trouble, was to tell the ambulances that there were horses and other riders in the immediate area. I was concerned that the ambulances, usually accompianied by fire personnel would cause another accident to occur.

It went smoothly. They were professional and shut off the sirens just before arrival to the scene and turned them on just after they left. The rider was ok in the end-as were those who were with her.

If in doubt-do not move. It can't be said enough. This particular rider suffered a fractured vertebra in her lumbar spine. She is now back to riding but inappropriate handling could have been devastating.
                                        Live life to the fullest-ride a standardbred!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X