Stallion Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

Front - Main
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Custom Frock Coats...where to go now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Frock Coats...where to go now?

I am located in the Middleburg, VA area and I am looking for direction on where to go to get a frock coat made. I would have gone to Karen Ewbank, but she was taken from us all too soon, so I am just at a total loss. Any and all suggestions and ideas are most appreciated! TIA

I never met Ms Ewbanks but knew many who did and used to pass by her shop daily. I remember the day of the accident. I was on Millwood Rd and wondered what was going on because there was so much traffic that isn't normally there. It was so sad.

My younger daughter and I have a shop on Etsy for custom hobby horses and related items. I can do repairs and simple things like sewing hunt colors into collars but I'm nowhere in the same ballpark skillwise as she was. Maybe try asking Devon Zebrovious at Cherry Blossom Farm and/or the ladies at The Tack Exchange. One of them could probably point you in the direction of a good tailor outside the area.

Comment

I had my frock coat made in 1990 at Leon's Tailoring in Indianapolis, IN. The store is still in business. It wasn't cheap --at that time it was $800 for a Melton. However, I still have that coat and wear it every season, when I'm not wearing the other coat (not a frock, just a hunt coat) that he made for me in 1981. I believe Leon' s dad made the first coat; he made my second one, and his daughter has the business now. There is a pattern for one you can buy and take to someone willing to sew it. Although I sew, it is far too advanced for my skills --I am a seamstress, not a tailor.

https://leontailoringcompany.com/

Comment

Got mine from an English company, Mears. With the Brexit news, the dollar was strong so it was affordable. Still might be an option for you. A family owned company, Lynn Mears works w/ you to get your measurements and the coat is delivered as promised. Mine is stunning. Good luck!

Comment

Sew Lovely, Middleburg/Berryville VA 540-532-9703 or 240-508-7253 As I understand, two folks who worked at Karen Ewbanks are continuing to sew.
          One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau's mom View Post
            Got mine from an English company, Mears. With the Brexit news, the dollar was strong so it was affordable. Still might be an option for you. A family owned company, Lynn Mears works w/ you to get your measurements and the coat is delivered as promised. Mine is stunning. Good luck!
            What fabric did you end up with? I get quite warm out hunting so I'm thinking I'd order the medium weight cavalry twill. I think the Tropical weight would be too light and more appropriate to the show ring.

http://thehuntingshop.co.uk/epages/3...unt%20Coats%22

Comment

It's a mid weight Melton and yes, it is very heavy...works well for Virginia winters but could be brutal for anything before December.

Comment

It's a mid weight Melton and yes, it is very heavy...works well for Virginia winters but could be brutal for anything before December.
                What would you advise for me in Kentucky? Fairly mild winters and I tend to "run hot" anyway. Not sure I understand the difference between medium weight cavalry twill and the lighter weight tropical wool. I want something fairly durable.

Comment

Both are not super light...I am thinking tropical wool might be your best bet...don't tell but if I am too hot, the vest gets left at the trailer. Fox hunting demerits, for sure.

Comment

Both are not super light...I am thinking tropical wool might be your best bet...don't tell but if I am too hot, the vest gets left at the trailer. Fox hunting demerits, for sure.
                    LOL - me too!! But no one can see it sooo....

Comment

Working...
                    X