• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Non-hunted field hunter prospect-tell me to "leave it" update post 19

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-hunted field hunter prospect-tell me to "leave it" update post 19

Merry Christmas, all!

I find myself in the market for a horse for next season, one able to be a staff horse. I've come to terms with what I'll be paying for a horse with hunting experience, and there are some lovely rides to be had. But-the one I like best, even disregarding price, has never hunted. Am I foolish to entertain taking this guy on instead of one who's already hunted?

I know, I know-but I *want* him...
    Last edited by lesson junkie; Jan. 10, 2019, 11:21 PM.

What breed is he? How old is he? What experience does he have? Have you ridden him out at all? How long do you have to school him between now and next season?

I would say we need pics but don't want to risk somebody else in the market seeing them and grabbing him up!
    Rack on!

Comment

Boy, did you come to the wrong place to get talked out of a horse... Now is a great time to start a horse for next season.

Of the 7-8 hunt horses I've owned, only one already had hunt experience and she was the second-hardest ride of the bunch.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kodiak View Post
        Boy, did you come to the wrong place to get talked out of a horse... Now is a great time to start a horse for next season.

Of the 7-8 hunt horses I've owned, only one already had hunt experience and she was the second-hardest ride of the bunch.
        Why do you think I asked here?

Comment

• Original Poster

I've never bought a made horse before either, and I have the time and all the necessary moving parts to make a field hunter. This horse is kind and quiet, and is the best quality animal I've looked at to date. He is an OTTB, my preference everything else being equal. He hasn't been off the track long, is cantering to small jumps, hacking out quietly in a group. He hasn't been with hounds, and he hasn't crossed water.

Comment

No trying to talk you out of it from me, that was pretty much my boy's bio when I bought him. I was hoping he might make a nice horse for the field, last year he had a bit of positive experience before a pasture injury sidelined us for the rest of the season. This year we are riding as staff and he is rising to the challenge very nicely.

His greenness comes out in leaping water and ditches like a shark is circling, then landing on the opposite bank past the intended target zone, often in a bush. But we calmly crawl out and are on our way. When I tried him out I was struck by his curiosity and intelligence. When he spooks its a small one and then he wants to get closer and look at whatever surprised him. He watches everything out hunting, and enjoys being out. That same intelligence makes ringwork umm shall we say 'entertaining'.

Sounds like you already have a good sense of what he is, but if you haven't ridden him out yet maybe you can before saying yes. Try leaving the group, and go off roading through the woods. You should get a sense if he has the goods mentally to do the job. My huntsman is understanding of our occasional greenness, and we often are in the 2nd position rather then point. My bet is if he has the right kind of mind for the job, you will end up with a lovely horse, "Forrard On.'

Comment

OTTB=best non-hunting/pre-hunting experience ever. Do it.
              * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

What I am needing ultimately-say, by this time next year-is a first flight field master's horse. I think whipping would give me a little more flexibility. I lead second flight on a pony, and she does a great job for me. She can manage first, but doing first flight pace chasing a coyote can red line her. I don't want to ask that of her more than rarely. I am not going to abuse her game heart.

Comment

This is my first full season hunting. I took my 5 year old ottb out on a hunt when he'd been off the track 6 months and laid off most of that time, and i personally had a half dozen rides on the guy. Even now, when he knows what he's up to, he goes in a snaffle, rides off by himself, stands quietly at checks, ignores hounds underfoot. . . I fell in love with his brain, and it's paid off.

Comment

None of my three hunt horses had hunted before I started them. One was off the track and he was the hardest because he really, really wanted to be first all the time. I fixed that with trail rides before taking him out and he's been an awesome hunt horse.
                    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

I dunno, am I the only one who thinks it might be a stretch to take a fresh OTTB and expect them to a be a staff horse in a year's time? Your instincts might be right, I put a fair amount of stock in in that. Just seems like maybe a few too many unknowns to me. Then again, even a horse with some hunting experience isn't a sure bet, esp. for a staff horse.

Comment

Here' the thing that people forget:

Yes, OTTBs generally are forward horses, but usually, they are *broke* horses with good ground manners. For the most part they understand hurry up and wait, they definitely understand galloping in a group, horses coming up behind, horses passing, horses bumping. They're used to the track shed row, with a hundred things going on at once, cars, tractors, goats, music, noise etc.

Here's what they don't understand so well - bending and turning, soft passive contact, whoaing with the reins, a long stretchy cross country trot and jumping.

If a horse off the track has a good brain, is generally pretty brave, has good ground manners, can w/t/c both directions without drama, go on a loose rein and doesn't have a big spook; reclaiming them as a fox hunter is fairly easy. You have to teach the whoa from reins, introduce hounds, teach them to cross water and teach them to jump, but that can be done fairly quickly if the brain is there.

I've never had an OTTB that didn't learn to love hacking out pretty quickly. You've eliminated several question marks by saying he'll be a staff horse, he won't have to deal with being bumped or crowded or the field reversing.

So if you really like this horse and think he's worth a try, why not?

Worst case scenario is that he'll need more time and you'll need to find another horse for next season, which could also be true of a lot of the other things you try.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Original Poster

McGurk-that is my feeling about this horse, and I have an instructor with lots of TB experience, so I have excellent help for continuing the reschool. I know I won't be stuck with him, he's kind and brave, pretty and jumps great. I would be left in the same boat as right now, and I'm not going to over face my pony.

This discussion brings into focus just how rare our good field hunters are, and how much time and effort go into making one. A successful professional once told me that the only job harder to teach a horse than being a field hunter was making a polo pony. I know nothing about polo, but it certainly is an interesting topic.

Comment

In March of '17 a First Flight hunt member bought a 4 year old TB who never made it past try outs on the tracks but she is a lovely mare. She hilltopped the mare for about 5 hunts then the season ended. This year the mare has been in First Field and doing fine with the member. A total natural hunt horse who does fine no matter which field she is going in that day and can also whip in.

My current hunt horse had zero hunt experience when I got her but the person who connected me with her said "this mare will hunt!". She was dead on correct. I had a junior member ride her on her first hunt and the mare was on tip toes the entire 2 hours. Not bad, just busy. She's never done that again. I'm a Field Master for our hunts Third Field/Hilltoppers and my mare will go front. back or middle with no problem.

For me it's all about the brains first. More and more a comfortable ride is important because I'm getting old.

Comment

I just took my horse on his first hunt this weekend. He went in a basic French link snaffle. It is a small unrecognized hunt. One of the whips was on a horse that last raced in September. His horse did great.
                              My horse is also an OTTB and he did great too. Staff coming up behind him, staff coming towards him and he was chill.
                              He levitated once when a hound appeared next to him. We were all trotting through the woods on a tractor path. None of the field saw the hound until it appeared next to Carson. Poor guy. I never saw the hound.

He was better than my other horse who I sporatically hunted for about 6 years. He was always tough to hunt.

I left the field after about 3 hours and went back to the trailer by myself. He had enough mentally and I wanted to keep it a good experience. We were hunting in the PA state game lands on Sunday. I was parked in the parking lot of the gun range in the game lands. No hunting on Sunday but target shooting is fine. Of course they were target shooting when I headed back and had to load him by himself in the trailer. It was loud and I was less than 100 yards from where they were shooting. He never flinched.
                              I have taken him to Fairhill xc schooling and he jumped everything I pointed him at including a ditch. The only sticking point we have right now is he needs a lead through water the first time. We will work on that.

I could see an OTTB that is already restarted and going well hunting next season even first flight. If he is naturally a sensible horse I would think he would do fine. OTTBs are exposed to so much on the track I think it takes a lot to rattle them. OP also says she has experience with OTTBs and so does her trainer.
                              Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

I won't talk you out of it either. he sounds like a great candidate and you've already said you're confident that you have the skills to bring him along. If he works out, he's great! If your other option is spending more on a "made" hunt horse, well I guess you could do that just as well next year if he doesn't work out.

Comment

• Original Poster

You guys are the best! Thanks a bunch

Comment

I was gifted an OTTB by my landlord, who didn't know how to ride, and who'd gotten him not knowing that you couldn't really just hop on a horse off the track and go. My trainer put 30 days on him & then we looked to sell the horse since he wasn't what I needed at the time. He was an athletic jumper but wasn't spectacular at show jumping due to what we suspected was a depth perception issue. The working student took him out with Piedmont and apparently everything just clicked for the gelding. He loved it. IIRC they moved up to 1st flight within his first few outtings. The hounds didn't phase him and he stood like a rock at the checks. And whatever caused him to misjudge fences in the arena didn't affect him in the field. He was fine with being anywhere within the field, too. I bet he would've done fine as a staff horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well-I did it-I bought the horse 3 months off the track, and I believe it was the right choice. Time will tell.

My instructor isn't going to divorce me over it, much as she'd like, so that's a good thing.

Thanks for all the replies-see you out in the field.

Comment

Working...
                                      X