• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tips for bring along the young, green Hunt horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for bring along the young, green Hunt horse

Hi all,

My 7 y.o. OTTB, who began eventing this year at PreNovice, and I have started hunting with a small farm pack. The staff generally consists of 5 and the field is generally 3-5 of us. The proximity to the staff and hounds is dictated by the level of riders and horses. Some days we have a young boy with us and other days we accomodate a green horse (there are two of us on green hunt horses). It works very well, as we can walk if need be or kick it up a notch if everyone is doing well.

My gelding is very, very brave. He has been completely unphased by all aspects of the Hunt. He hunted the first few times in a french link, loose ring snaffle (he goes xcountry in that bit), but we had a little trouble with brakes if we were all doing a hard gallop, so he now goes in a Wonder Bit, which is perfect. He is rateable with a 1/2 halt and moves nicely off the leg. He can get a little "racey" if we're cantering in wide open fields, but a little stronger 1/2 halt and he gets his brain back. Really, he's a fun ride.

Yesterday we rode pretty hard all day. Every single horse was ready to ROLL, so a good blow-out gallop was welcome.

Here's the issue: My horse has an issue with things on the ground. He leaps over EVERYTHING if we're trotting or cantering. Twice he has gotten me off by jumping a 4" stick like it was an 8' Weldon's Wall. I wouldn't consider him green over fences as he is totally balanced and rhythmic over a xcourse of 2'9" fences and we tend to trail ride a good bit, both trotting and cantering over different types of terrain, including fallen logs, sticks, etc. He sees the sticks/tree roots and LEAPS over them like he is seriously jumping an 8' fence. He goes STRAIGHT up and LAUNCHES himself over. I can get it to a manageable leap with good strong 1/2 halts, but sheesh, it's a hard ride over the teeny sticks. He has a rather high opinion of his athletic prowess, so it could be he wants to call the shots and get an "A plus" for effort.

Is this a green hunt horse issue?

When you start a horse out hunting, do you vary the training with a slow walk/trot day and then step it up a notch with trotting/cantering/galloping and then have another slow day?

How long do you generally hunt a young horse before you incorporate fences?

Oh, and we are doing flatwork and hacking during the week when he's not hunting.

Thanks in advance for any tips, ideas, thoughts on bringing along a green hunt horse. This is my personal horse who I intend to event and hunt as long as possible.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Does this horse do this after the first jump?

Or does he continue to over jump all the time if out on a hack?

I once had a mare who really needed a warm up fence... ? Mare was cold backed..

Jodi

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Snow Princess View Post
      Does this horse do this after the first jump?

Or does he continue to over jump all the time if out on a hack?

I once had a mare who really needed a warm up fence... ? Mare was cold backed..

Jodi
      While Hunting he'll do this all day long.

Hacking never.

Stadium never.

Cross Country never.
      Alison Howard

Comment

Does this horse do anything else that makes you feel it is nervous.. like grind it's teeth.. or toss it's head..?

Does it not like waiting in the crowd..?

Avoiding the twiggs might be good if it acts perfectly in all other instances of hunting?

Comment

• Original Poster

Sometimes he will stand with the others, but at other times he's fidgety and we need to leg yield, shoulder in, etc, until the light bulb comes on that it's easier to stand still and if we're moving, we're moving on MY terms.

This is really the only extreme behavior he has, and I am very happy with his Hunting thusfar, but it's an infringement on the other hunt members when they have to catch my horse.
          Alison Howard

Comment

Sounds like my horse!!!

He will jump a 3 ft course of fences with no problem... and has been schooled up to 4'6... he has also been evented with no issues cross country.

However, every once in awhile he will jump as you describe... it leaves you wondering if you need to grab mane every single time...LOL..

Although my horse will only tend to do it going over something a little trappy... he has done it over the ocasional 12 inch log... no fun. He is new to hunting, so hoping he outgrows this... sure makes it interesting though!

And I've tried to describe the feeling to my friend when he launches himself... I have to say you described it perfectly!

Comment

I wonder if in his dim and distant past he stood on a branch or similar which bounced up and whacked him?

Or - could be he's just showing off and full of P&V!

Not to everyone's taste, but if you see one looming, do you have room for a couple of half-halts back and forth a few strides out, just to get his attention on you rather than clowning around?

The other thing to try is to bring him right back to a crisp walk, and make him bounce/step over it from a walk - a decent quality athletic horse such as yours should be able to clear anything up to 3'6" or so out of a walk with ease (I know - it was an old PC exercise we did for our event horses).

Or, if there's time and room, circle him round and make him do it again...and again...and again, until it becomes a bit boooring....

I suppose lots of gymnastics, gridwork, etc, over rustic log-type fences might help (Wateryglen co-authored rather a good book with great suggestions!).

In the meantime a neckstrap might come in handy!

Comment

Can you pony him over & through downed branches and row crop fields which have corn stalks left in them?? I do that w/ youngsters to desensitize their legs to trappy/snappy things.

Comment

• Original Poster

Romany and SLW, good suggestions and thoughts. Romany, his breeder told me that as a foal he would tear around the woods jumping logs/sticks/everything, so he's probably experienced some "stick whacking" in his youth.

SLW, that's a great idea! Corn fodder and tall grass are his biggest worries (aside from needles), so as I process this, it's all very simple. He gets nervous and twitchy with the feet stuff. More desentizing in the corn field and CRP ground.
                  Alison Howard

Comment

Another super time to proof them is after an ice storm. Once the ice is melted but the branches are still around, pony him right through the debri. Again, let common sense prevail- you want the ticklish, taller stuff that has fallen on good ground and not across a ravine or ditch.

Good luck!

Comment

I think it IS a green horse issue. It's "enthusiasm"!! And maybe he's not burned off that youthful energy yet. Bet he doesn't do it after 3 hrs of hunting and miles of country. I swear they learn to conserve their energy.....SOMETIMES....after they've hunted more. Is he overfit? Cooped up too much before hunting? Fed richly? Need some stronger tack? There can be other things you can do too. It's a common occurrence; not really a problem. Rejoice that he's going forward and doing what you're asking him to do.

I think he needs mileage, mileage, mileage. The desensitizing is good.

Good luck! Sounds like a good one!

Comment

• Original Poster

WG, He IS a good one! I love his boldness. Here he is at his 2nd-ever HT, this past August.

http://www.silverpixelsproofs.com/OH...f-8507-625.htm

Yes, after about 2 hours he's content to wait with the others, but still has plenty of "go".

Yep, he's fit as a fiddle, gets about 20# of grass hay, 1# of soaked alfalfa cubes, 1# soaked beet pulp, 6# whole oats and Source, split over 2 feedings. He's also on 24/7 turnout with a fun, fast buddy.

He's always gone xcountry in a French link snaffle, but recently he was bitted up to a wonder bit. Boy, that bit is fantastic! He really reaches into it, but if he gets strong, a little 1/2 halt grabs his attention. Well, unless he's got a stick in his sites, then he gets a strong 1/2 halt

Unfortunately, he has a mild suspensory issue (ultra sound will confirm severity) after this past weekend's shenanigans. I'm very upset. He's always been sound as a dollar and I feel terribe that he is injured. He's not liking the stall rest We'll have plenty of time, during his rehab, to walk around the farm and aquaint him with slowly walking over things.
                        Alison Howard

Comment

GREAT picture!

What a cutie - no small wonder you're thrilled with him!

I'm no expert, and I (obviously) don't know your horse, but if by # you mean pounds, and you're therefore feeding him 6 lbs whole oats/day, that is quite a lot....you could try gradually reducing the amount (particularly important while he's on stall rest) which might make a difference.

What is "Source"?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Romany View Post
                            What a cutie - no small wonder you're thrilled with him!

I'm no expert, and I (obviously) don't know your horse, but if by # you mean pounds, and you're therefore feeding him 6 lbs whole oats/day, that is quite a lot....you could try gradually reducing the amount (particularly important while he's on stall rest) which might make a difference.

What is "Source"?
                            LOL, I forgot to say that is his "work" diet. The stall rest diet consists of 100% forages and Valerian.

Source is the name of a Selenium supplement. Selenium is deficient in our native soils, thus is deficient in our local feeds. Source is a type of kelp that contains selenium and micronutrients.
                            Alison Howard

Comment

Gotcha!

Good luck with the stall rest - bet he's THRILLED with it - !

Comment

Your guy is very handsome! Good luck getting a complete recovery from the suspensory issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X