Sport Horse Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

#metoo - H/J World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ToastieOaties
    started a topic #metoo - H/J World

#metoo - H/J World

With the #metoo campaign sweeping social media, it's clear that sexual assault and harassment exist in more than the entertainment industry.

What are your experiences in our hunter/jumper world?

I worked for a trainer in my early twenties who was handsy. He knew how to keep the lines blurred; he never actually outright touched my private anatomy, but he would come very close and let his hands linger there or rub for a while - put his hand on my upper ribcage almost on my boob, or up on my upper thigh, or deep on my lower back....almost directly inappropriate, but never actually crossing that line.

I had such a bad feeling about it, but it was never illicit enough to call him out on it, and, as many females end up thinking, I wasn't sure whether it really qualified as being worth objecting to. But I knew it made me feel dirty and violated and while I could convince myself he didn't really mean anything by it, deep inside I knew exactly what he was doing. And to this day, I'm ashamed I never stood up for myself and said something. I remember being concerned enough that I checked the barn bathrooms for hidden cameras, and hating every second he was close.

But even so, I didn't want to make a fuss, didn't want to be wrong, didn't want to get fired, didn't want to accuse him of something that he could easily say never crossed a line.

What are your stories? Is there a "casting couch" in the horse world?

• McGurk
    replied
    Ivy,

I am so sorry, both for your experiences and for the reactions from people who should have known better.

I have similar stories/memories.

I wrote about one here on COTH after the first #MeToo stories broke.

But the last month has been much harder on me; much more triggering.

-I would never come forward and accuse my assailants, mostly because I fear the public humiliation and persecution that would follow.
    and
    So hearing the venom spewed on national news and social media was really hard on me.
    Exactly.

I did talk about things that happened to me as a child when I was in my late 20s. I was in therapy at the time. My family had a really hard time processing it and said some really regrettable things. Shortly after I started talking about it; there was a lot of news about "recovered memories" and therapists planting false memories. I am pretty certain that everyone I told seized on that explanation; that it hadn't really happened, that I had been manipulated by the therapist.

I decided to let them believe that. In my experience, talking about it was not helpful or therapeutic or cathartic or anything positive. I know what happened and that's enough.

Leave a comment:

• englishivy
    replied
    Originally posted by fair judy View Post
    Thought I would check in here and see if anyone else is experiencing trigger issues with the national news recently? I do NOT want to get into the politics of it, but I am genuinely having some personal problems. I have support to talk with, but I am hoping that anyone else who may be having trouble will call out for help. This past week has been like a nightmare for me.

I've been away from COTH for a bit and by chance stopped back by and found this thread. I've read it a few times but didn't want to post until now.

I'm working on being vocal about my experiences, and it's a work in progress. But I can say many, many difficult conversations happened over the last few weeks due to the current social climate of late. Conversations like:

-I would never come forward and accuse my assailants, mostly because I fear the public humiliation and persecution that would follow.

-I don't remember all the details: I don't remember the face of my predator when I was 4 yr old, but I remember my wall paper, where the closet was located, and what he did to me. I don't remember the names of the boys who assaulted me throughout my 8th grade year, but I can remember their hair color and one of the shirts I was wearing when it happened. I voluntarily switched schools 18 mths later, never to see them again.

-I didn't share my experiences with anyone until 10 years after, told a counselor and my hubby at 20 years after, and other close family members at 34 years after the first incident. Every one of them was shocked and had no idea I bore such a heavy secret.

-when I did share my experiences, some replied with "you're blowing things out of proportion" and "quit being dramatic". Please refer to #1 in the aforementioned list.

So hearing the venom spewed on national news and social media was really hard on me.

Leave a comment:

• oneequestrienne
    replied
    Originally posted by fair judy View Post
    Thought I would check in here and see if anyone else is experiencing trigger issues with the national news recently? I do NOT want to get into the politics of it, but I am genuinely having some personal problems. I have support to talk with, but I am hoping that anyone else who may be having trouble will call out for help. This past week has been like a nightmare for me.
    I understand. That week was difficult for me also. I also have support and am doing much better now. I have also worried about others.

Leave a comment:

• oneequestrienne
    replied
    Originally posted by foursocks View Post

For many, if not most, victims of sexual assault nothing is ever "dead and buried."
    I speak from my own experience.

Leave a comment:

• fair judy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• foursocks
    replied
    Originally posted by oneequestrienne View Post
    Take a look at the Safesport and USEF suspension/banned lists. Some very old history is coming out and not all are deceased. Clearly, 30+ years ago is fair game. Memories were dead and buried and now it all comes back.
    For many, if not most, victims of sexual assault nothing is ever "dead and buried."

Leave a comment:

• ladyj79
    replied
    To be fair, the Jimmy Williams situation wasn't really dead and buried because his name was on national federation awards and on rings where national federation shows were held.

I don't know that they'll be posthumously banning every rando former member from 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• oneequestrienne
    replied
    Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Ok so here's the interesting question. Is this new desire for clean sport willing to look into past incidents? And if so what parameters are they willing to cover.

Just curious.

Emily
    Take a look at the Safesport and USEF suspension/banned lists. Some very old history is coming out and not all are deceased. Clearly, 30+ years ago is fair game. Memories were dead and buried and now it all comes back.

Leave a comment:

• Crown Royal
    replied
    Not physical, but while I was a WS in high school, a male client 50+ years older than me found me in our horse trailer dressing room while I was alone (we were at a show), came in, and started hitting on me (after not speaking to me the other times we met when we were in the company of others). I got out of there. No reason he needed to be there. Fortunately it was our last day with him.

Leave a comment:

• Moesha
    replied
    Originally posted by MMacallister View Post
    I considered making an alter for this, which is just sad since it has been almost 30 years. I am still embarrassed by it all these years later.

Local horse show series announcer was in his mid-twenties, 25 exactly if I remember correctly, I was 12. We talked on the phone for hours at a time and I was so flattered that this guy wanted to talk to me. In school, I was a big geek, but this guy liked me! One day he asked me to ride his bike down the road to meet him. I wasn't supposed to go as far as he was asking, but I mounted my pink and purple huffy and set off down the driveway anyway.

He met me in a beat up ford dually. A dream machine to a horse girl. He parked in a quiet neighborhood and soon there was kissing, then there was more, then my pants were unbuttoned, then the cops showed up.

He knew the cop, lucky for him, but not so lucky for me. The cop told him to get out of there while he handcuffed me and put me into the back of the cop car. His partner, a female cop, asked if I was okay and then put my bike into the trunk of the cop car and took me to the police station where I was then handcuffed to a bench while they called my mother.

My mother came and got me. Her and my father had just gotten divorced and she was so worried about what he would think and she grounded me for a month. I went to my grandparents the next week and she asked where had I been and I said "oh you know, around" she said "so I have heard"

The only person upset by this was my father. He went after the horseshow announcer at the next show, but someone pulled a truck in front of him and the announcer was able to get on the golf cart. Everyone else deemed my 12-year-old self to be at fault.

I must have led him on, I should know better, I was going to get a reputation for acting like that...

Afterward, my father banned me from showing at those shows, and my riding career took a serious downturn.

The boob and butt grabs I have received from judges, clinicians, and trainers since then seemed mild in comparison.

Yes, it happens.
    This is truly horrifying- It is terrifying that the those sworn to protect and serve behaved like that - you were handcuffed and taken into the police station- Wow I am so sorry

Leave a comment:

• findeight
    replied
    It's hard to run to tne HR department when you are working off the books...that's part of what allows this to persist.

Leave a comment:

• poltroon
    replied
    Originally posted by ohnoO View Post
    I think it's true, though. Most horsemen learned what they know about how to act and run their business just from a single horseman who mentored them, and let's face it, in some generations past a trainer who didn't molest or cheat clients/students is probably more surprising than one who did. I have been thinking for several years that USEF can do a great service to our industry by simply providing some of this training that is now routine in other professions - sexual harassment, and also business ethics. I worry that many good people put out their shingle and behave unethically not because they are intentionally bad people, but because no one ever taught them there is a right (or different) way.

Also please note everyone that this new requirement from SafeSport for mandatory reporting isn't originating from USEF, but from Congress. IE, federal law rather than a USEF rule change.

Leave a comment:

• ohnoO
    replied
    NCRider

Leave a comment:

• Soaponarope
    replied
    I would say it is different though. It isn't always a crusty old guy making unwanted advances. Sometimes it's an attractive trainer with charisma and power and juniors are susceptible to their charms. So while there is harassment, there are also unsupervised kids spending 14 hours a day with an adult they worship and they may have no clue that trainer doesn't have their best interest at heart. Which is why I never let my kid leave home and become a working student as a junior. And I kept tabs on her. This after I recall a girl telling me in college that she lost her virginity to "her groom." Not that we ever had a groom, and nothing against grooms, but, no thank you.

Leave a comment:

• NCRider
    replied
    Setting aside the underage cases which are on a different level, a lot of this is clear workplace harassment and no different than secretaries and bosses (Mad Men anyone?) or doctors and nurses dir cots actresses etc etc. what is different is the horse world seems to be lagging behind the more corporate environments in making the more blantant examples of this type of harassment unacceptable. It's reflective of the overall lack of professionalism in the industry It's like we're stuck in the 70's. we need an HR department.

Leave a comment:

• Kirikou
    replied
    Originally posted by findeight View Post
    The other thing is...am I the only one who was around leading BNs but not messed with who mentioned that fact to others and got the retort I wasn't pretty enough or rich enough for him to mess with? How sick is that for any woman in any sport or profession?
    I think right here is part of the problem: that culture of "competition" between women where someone would claim that one is not "pretty" enough to be messed with, or in some dark twisted way "not worthy enough" to be assaulted. It's the "classic" defense of the rapist: "I couldn't have done that your Honor, I am not even attracted to her, I mean look at her." Lust is only part of the reason for harassment or assault, it is much more about someone in a position of power asserting his/her dominance over a victim. When a powerful man/woman objectifies, grabs or pins their WS against the wall (as in the Eventing thread), he/she is showing he/she is in charge.

- the correlative of that culture being "victim's pride" when someone is paying you attention ("I know this isn't quite right, but surely this means that I am prettier/better/etc than the other girls in the barn?").

And research has shown that in cases of assault and harassment, physical attractiveness of the victim has little to do with it: it's about power and control plain and simple.

Leave a comment:

• Xctrygirl
    replied
    Originally posted by dani0303 View Post

I can't answer for sure but I'd imagine if there was evidence they would look into it. You might want to email USEF with your question.
    This is more related to the #metoo thread on eventing right now.

Emily

Leave a comment:

• dani0303
    replied
    Originally posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    Ok so here's the interesting question. Is this new desire for clean sport willing to look into past incidents? And if so what parameters are they willing to cover.

Just curious.

Emily
    I can't answer for sure but I'd imagine if there was evidence they would look into it. You might want to email USEF with your question.

Leave a comment:

• Xctrygirl
    replied

Just curious.

Emily

Leave a comment:

Working...
X