Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

3255 Davidsonville Rd  Barns

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clinic with Bernie Traurig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by specifiedcupcake View Post
    He's a great clinician but I think when I clinic'ed with him my trainer made an error in suggesting that I do the 1m+ class. I was the only non-professional in the group and felt like after the first day he kind of washed his hands of me and my horse. I felt a bit crappy and like I wasted a load of money.
    Do you understand that you just completely contradicted yourself in this paragraph?

A "great" clinician would not "wash his hands" of you and your horse. A great clinician would find some way to ensure that you received value from his clinic and that you didn't go away feeling "a bit crappy" and like you "wasted a load of money.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
    that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

Do you understand that you just completely contradicted yourself in this paragraph?

A "great" clinician would not "wash his hands" of you and your horse. A great clinician would find some way to ensure that you received value from his clinic and that you didn't go away feeling "a bit crappy" and like you "wasted a load of money.
      I think I would have had a better experience if I'd done a group in one of the lower heights where I wasn't the only non-pro is what I was trying to get across... I watched almost all the other lessons and it looked pretty fair. But it was a last minute opening, my trainer said to go for it, then I was sat there in a group of six screwing up next to a load of pros who were not making the same mistakes. Objectively after the fact, I could understand why he got frustrated with me.

To your point, yea a brilliant teacher should actually take more time with the struggling student, but a lot of great riders are not known for their people skills or professionalism. Or maybe he should have suggested we move down a class the following day. I think a lot of things 5 years after the fact, but none of them happened in those 48 or whatever hours and that's okay. I learned something and I'm "sharing it with the class."

Comment

Originally posted by FAW View Post
        But remember, he's doing clinics every week all over the country. That has to be a bit tiring. He's not a young bird.
        Not to comment on Traurig specifically, because I've never cliniced with him, but part of being a professional is knowing your limits and pacing yourself so you're able to be at your best. You can't expect to haul an 18 year old GP jumper and show every weekend either... the rails will come down, the body will be sore. It may be that for some people their best value would be to give clinics less frequently or with less travel, even if it meant charging more.
        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
        X