Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Clinic with Bernie Traurig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did his clinic this past spring down in Southern Pines and it was amazing! Was going to do it again in September, but just wont work out. He is very patient and it is easy to learn from him. He helped me a lot and I hope I can make my rounds to him again maybe next year!!! Definitely do it it will be totally worth it!!!

If you don't have high expectations of yourself he will have them of you. So he may get cranky if the riders don't listen to him and such, there was one student at mine he was ready to pull off the horse. Came across harsh a bit, but for the rider that's what she needed. She pulled herself and horse together and they were amazing. So you have to brush that off, but if you go, and try your hardest to do as he asks you will learn a lot.

I did occasionally put in a plug about his site, I use it and like it, but I found it wasn't an annoying advertising just mostly saying hey this is what we did, if you want to expand check this site out to learn more, etc. Not a lot of standing type, but my group was only 5 riders so it was fairly small compared to the other groups doing lower heights!
    Sir Frost, 4, OTTB
    Calm & Collected, 16, OTTB
    Forrest Gump (Catasauqua) , 20, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 31, TB (RIP 8/30/17)

Comment

galloping-gourmet how was the clinic? I hope it went well for you.

Comment

He is definitely a rollercoaster. If he decides he likes you, he will be very helpful. If he decides you are not worth his time for whatever reason, it will be a waste of time and money. It's sad because he could be an amazing teacher, but he is all over the map with his mood. We will personally never waste any more time or money with him after seeing how up and down he can be. That's not my thing. I don't know if it's just too much stress or what, but the teaching has been downhill over the years. So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmomfun View Post
          He is definitely a rollercoaster. If he decides he likes you, he will be very helpful. If he decides you are not worth his time for whatever reason, it will be a waste of time and money. It's sad because he could be an amazing teacher, but he is all over the map with his mood. We will personally never waste any more time or money with him after seeing how up and down he can be. That's not my thing. I don't know if it's just too much stress or what, but the teaching has been downhill over the years. So sad.
          If that is so, I consider Mr. Traurig to be very unprofessional. He needs to give equal attention for equal pay,
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post

If that is so, I consider Mr. Traurig to be very unprofessional. He needs to give equal attention for equal pay,
            This brandnew poster resurrected 3 old threads to bash this trainer in similar vague language. It's obvious they had a negative experience but the level of their griping does not feel 100% credible to me.

A credible post would give a little detail and narrative about the situation.

As it stands my suspicion is that the feelings of the OP or the OP's child were hurt because they weren't allowed to jump the heights they expected they were ready to or they had a crying jag after getting some necessary correction or they argued with the clinician or something.

Until there is more detail I just see this as random drive by attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

This brandnew poster resurrected 3 old threads to bash this trainer in similar vague language. It's obvious they had a negative experience but the level of their griping does not feel 100% credible to me.

A credible post would give a little detail and narrative about the situation.

As it stands my suspicion is that the feelings of the OP or the OP's child were hurt because they weren't allowed to jump the heights they expected they were ready to or they had a crying jag after getting some necessary correction or they argued with the clinician or something.

Until there is more detail I just see this as random drive by attack.
              You are probably right, nothing worse than a disgruntled horse show mom!

Comment

I will say, I've had both experiences with him. I think he's generally quite good, but if you annoy him, he will kind of turn against you. I did the 3 day clinic at his barn. It's on a hill with the arena at the bottom and the barn at the top. I was in a group with one other lady. Had a great first day. On the second day, when he said I was done, I hopped off to cool out my horse (it was brutally hot). There's really no place to go in that tiny ring so I did my best to really stay out of the way. At one point, the other rider kind of unexpectedly swerved towards me and Bernie yelled at me for being in the ring. The next day, he was pretty icy and didn't give me a lot of feedback. I should have left the arena, I get it, but I hate to put a horse in cross ties when they're puffing.

Two years later I came back with my current horse who can make anyone look like a genius on the flat and had a really positive experience riding in private lessons over three days. Bernie was very patient with my less than perfect distances bc I guess I had earned his respect with our good flat work (really my horse's not mine). I came away with some good exercises to practice at home. But I watched him absolutely shred a teenager who was trying and struggling to make her giant and kind of sprawled out horse do the exercises in his small arena. She kind of had resting teenager face and I think that also irritated him.

So I think it depends. Bring a soft bit, really and truly listen and make obvious you are implementing what he says (if he says carry your hands, DO IT) and I think he will be on your side and engage in making it a great experience for you. I think he's like any trainer, he doesn't want to waste his time with someone who isn't going to try what he says, and I totally understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by greysfordays View Post
                  ...if you annoy him, he will kind of turn against you...So I think it depends. Bring a soft bit, really and truly listen and make obvious you are implementing what he says (if he says carry your hands, DO IT) and I think he will be on your side and engage in making it a great experience for you. I think he's like any trainer, he doesn't want to waste his time with someone who isn't going to try what he says, and I totally understand that.
                  These sound like the same kind of excuses people have always made for George Morris and other big-name trainers who feel that their reputation and name mean that they don't have to behave professionally and observe common courtesy. If people have a bad experience it's all their own fault. You annoyed him. He hated your resting bitch face. You didn't do exactly what he said (no matter if you didn't understand or are finding it difficult to comply). You didn't try hard enough. Yada yada yada.

I have no interest in riding with or supporting a trainer that can't treat me respectfully. Maybe if more people felt that way, trainers would be forced to behave like professionals in order to protect their livelihood. Kind of like I have to do at my job.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                  that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Yeah I'd have to be there to really weigh in on what happened. I do see people go into clinics that overface them or get pissy when they aren't praised to the skies. Also the clinician can't waste the other riders time either. In general I think a one off clinic doesn't allow for the personalization of an ongoing lesson program and while their can be some great insights there can also be miscues and impatience on both sides.

Traveling clinicians do tend to develop a larger than life persona and some showmanship in order to go this repeatedly with strangers and that can slide from inspiring to irritating displays of ego when things go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by greysfordays View Post
                      So I think it depends. Bring a soft bit, really and truly listen and make obvious you are implementing what he says (if he says carry your hands, DO IT) and I think he will be on your side and engage in making it a great experience for you. I think he's like any trainer, he doesn't want to waste his time with someone who isn't going to try what he says, and I totally understand that.
                      A few years ago, Bernie did a hunter and jumper demo at the Midwest Horse Fair and a friend rode my horse in the hunter demo. My horse goes in a Myler D-ring snaffle and on the first day he looked at the tack of all three demo horses and told my friend my horse should have straighter pieces in his mouth. After we hit the vendors and our trainer bought a D-ring that still had a bit of curve but was straighter than the Myler. He noticed it the next day. It still wasn't as straight as he would have liked, but we tried. My horse went back to the Myler when we got home.

Comment

Yes, Bernie can be cranky and he will be very helpful to you. I've done 7 clinics with him and gotten to know him. He wants you to succeed and will help you get there. But remember, he's doing clinics every week all over the country. That has to be a bit tiring. He's not a young bird. I've seen him rip people up for not trying and I have seen him back riders wonderful in 3 days. Still I would take him over George any day of the week

Comment

Wow, I've cliniced with him twice and haven't seen anything other than patience and good teaching from him. A few people kind of fell off the radar in the big groups and just didn't get a lot of attention (which I find happens in every group clinic situation) but I didn't see him be anything other than professional and helpful. In fact I thought he was one of the best teachers I've ever ridden with. But obviously, experiences vary!
                          Jennifer Baas
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

Comment

Note: I didn't ride in the clinic, but I audited/jump set.

I didn't see him be mean to anyone in the clinic, but he was a real SOB to me at the dinner after the first day of the clinic. It wasn't my house, wasn't my technology, but was my fault that his videos wouldn't play on the TV - all I was trying to do was help trouble shoot it. I ended up retrieving some cords from my vehicle to get the laptop to work with the host's TV, but still got chewed out. Wish I wouldn't have tried to help at all, honestly.

He also, on more than one occasion, was a real jerk to the jump crew.

He came off to me as very arrogant and full of himself, concerned about his physical appearance too much, etc. Just not my kind of person. That said, I still have some of the exercises written down as I found they were challenging but not overwhelming to the horses.

Comment

At night at his videos, he can be a pistol if things don't work out. Its him. George is 100 times worse with jump crews, so don't feel bad

Comment

Originally posted by FAW View Post
                                At night at his videos, he can be a pistol if things don't work out. Its him. George is 100 times worse with jump crews, so don't feel bad
                                "George is worse" is no excuse to be an ass. Treating jump crew like "underlings" and yelling at and getting cranky with someone over not getting his way is not cool. I don't care who you are. That behavior is unacceptable.

Comment

He's a great clinician but I think when I clinic'ed with him my trainer made an error in suggesting that I do the 1m+ class. I was the only non-professional in the group and felt like after the first day he kind of washed his hands of me and my horse. I felt a bit crappy and like I wasted a load of money.

I would caution to go in a lower height group just so you don't get stuck like I did. His attitude changed when I told him that was my first clinic, but by then the weekend was already over.

Comment

Originally posted by FAW View Post
                                    Well... if "it's him"...

F*** him.

I'm an adult, not a child, and don't appreciate being demeaned by someone 1) I am not paying to do so, and/or 2) who is not paying me for the right to do so. I was a volunteer, trying to help everywhere I could.

Should have let him crash and burn for the technical difficulties, mowed down some free food, and left.

Really, a lot of these clinic traveling pros take themselves way too seriously. To 99% of the world they are nobodies, and it seems as if they forget that often.

Comment

I am totally confused why it makes it OK because someone else is worse.

I can't see why it would ever be OK for a clinician to get mad at the jump crew.

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                        I am totally confused why it makes it OK because someone else is worse.

I can't see why it would ever be OK for a clinician to get mad at the jump crew.
                                        If we were doping around, talking instead of paying attention, and didn't hustle, I could see some irritation.

But we weren't. We RAN to every jump he wanted changed, sat quietly out of the way watching the riders ride the exercises. We were yelled at when his instructions weren't clear and the desired change didn't happen.

For example:

"Go up two on the oxer." followed by him going back to coach the rider who was about 20 seconds out from the jump.

I yell back "front and back or just the back?" which, I guess was a stupid question because I can only adjust one pole in 20 seconds. He didn't answer anyways, because he was coaching. I went up two holes on either side for just the back pole, making an ascending oxer.

Turns out he meant one hole on either side, so the joke was on me. I got yelled at anyways.

What a dumb way to say that, it's not a wonder it didn't get executed properly. That's just one of many examples.

Or! Him asking the jump crew to walk a line asking how many strides it was. One of the crew was an accomplished prelim rider. We all got the same distance. He ripped us a new one, saying none of us knew how to walk distances. Meanwhile in my 'day job' I can walk 150'+ of pipelines within a 99% accuracy.

Ah well. Lesson learned. I'll never volunteer for that again.

Comment

Originally posted by endlessclimb View Post
                                          "Go up two on the oxer." followed by him going back to coach the rider who was about 20 seconds out from the jump.

I yell back "front and back or just the back?" which, I guess was a stupid question because I can only adjust one pole in 20 seconds. He didn't answer anyways, because he was coaching. I went up two holes on either side for just the back pole, making an ascending oxer.

Turns out he meant one hole on either side, so the joke was on me. I got yelled at anyways.
                                          I think just about anyone would have thought 'go up two' meant to...go up two holes. That is just a totally off the wall way to say you want a pole up one hole higher.

Comment

Working...
                                          X