Sport Horse Spotlight

calucci_cf_sq

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clinic with Bernie Traurig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clinic with Bernie Traurig

    Anyone ever taken a clinic with him? Have an opportunity, just not sure...TI

  • #2
    Do it! He's the best clinician I have ever ridden with (and I've ridden with many). He's patient, kind, and one of the best teachers I've ever ridden with.
    Jennifer Baas
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. (Aristotle)

    Comment


    • #3
      Some very favorable comments here, and a good overview of what to expect:

      https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f...raurig-clinics

      I had a few lessons with him when I was a junior, many years ago, and he was truly excellent

      Comment


      • #4
        I've never ridden in one, but I watched his clinic at the RRP TB Makeover last year, and now I would love to participate in one. I thought he did a great job.

        Comment


        • #5
          Bernie is the BEST. Done 6 clinics with him, will do another next month. He is patient, wants you to succeed, encourages you to try. Love his message of the Forward Riding System. He has made a great difference in my rides

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by galloping-gourmet View Post
            Anyone ever taken a clinic with him? Have an opportunity, just not sure...TI
            I started a similar thread on the Eventing forum. A spot in the 3'6" fell in my lap when a friend had to scratch. I'll be at the sept 30th clinic in NC. Is that the same date you are planning?
            Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

            The Grove at Five Points

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Thank you all, I'm excited. ACMEeventing, ours is out west this weekend...Have a great time at yours.

              Comment


              • #8
                He is awesome! He doesn't discriminate against fancy vs. lesson horses and has something useful for every level of horse and rider, the best clinician I have ridden with!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm sure I must've caught him on an off day... But honestly, I don't know that I'd clinic with him again, even if I had the opportunity to do it for free.

                  The start of the series of events, was the weather had dropped about 25-30 degrees from the day before, and was rainy, making it pretty cold. Bernie just seemed, right from the first group of the day, put of about the weather; because he was cold. He just really didn't seem like he wanted to be there.

                  Next, because of said cold and rainy weather, we had to clinic in the indoor. This was fine, but the outdoor space was much more accommodating, space and jump wise. To add to the now smaller space, some friends of Bernie showed up apparently, and he decided to break his own rule of the max number of horses per group, and allowed them in also. 10 fresh horses, in a now smaller indoor to do 3'3"+.

                  Because said friends were now in the group, he decided to basically give one of them a lesson on their really lovely young stud. The rest of us stood (sort of... fresh horses, remember) in the middle of the ring for an hour straight while he did this. Then when our time to ride finally did come, we weren't even doing the exercises we just watched for an hour.

                  Because of the length of time we just spent watching the one horse, and the fact that there was still another group after mine to go, the rest of the time was very rushed... Especially with extra horses now having to complete exercises. He allowed almost no time to now re-warm up our horses that were standing for so long. We did 3-4 jumps after it was all said and done, which isn't a big deal to me, but it felt like he was just doing it too make us feel like we did SOMETHING. There was no real instruction or critiquing. I can truthfully say I took nothing home with me from that clinic.

                  I was pretty disappointed with it all. I had heard how outstanding he usually is, and I was incredibly excited. It was cool to say I rode with him, but it definitely was not what I expected. My horse and I worked for months on exercises I heard he preferred, and I signed up for EquestrianCoach for a few months to watch the videos and practice leading up to the clinic. I learned quite a bit from that, which I guess would be the positive in all this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by IrishHunter View Post
                    I'm sure I must've caught him on an off day... But honestly, I don't know that I'd clinic with him again, even if I had the opportunity to do it for free.

                    The start of the series of events, was the weather had dropped about 25-30 degrees from the day before, and was rainy, making it pretty cold. Bernie just seemed, right from the first group of the day, put of about the weather; because he was cold. He just really didn't seem like he wanted to be there.

                    Next, because of said cold and rainy weather, we had to clinic in the indoor. This was fine, but the outdoor space was much more accommodating, space and jump wise. To add to the now smaller space, some friends of Bernie showed up apparently, and he decided to break his own rule of the max number of horses per group, and allowed them in also. 10 fresh horses, in a now smaller indoor to do 3'3"+.

                    Because said friends were now in the group, he decided to basically give one of them a lesson on their really lovely young stud. The rest of us stood (sort of... fresh horses, remember) in the middle of the ring for an hour straight while he did this. Then when our time to ride finally did come, we weren't even doing the exercises we just watched for an hour.

                    Because of the length of time we just spent watching the one horse, and the fact that there was still another group after mine to go, the rest of the time was very rushed... Especially with extra horses now having to complete exercises. He allowed almost no time to now re-warm up our horses that were standing for so long. We did 3-4 jumps after it was all said and done, which isn't a big deal to me, but it felt like he was just doing it too make us feel like we did SOMETHING. There was no real instruction or critiquing. I can truthfully say I took nothing home with me from that clinic.

                    I was pretty disappointed with it all. I had heard how outstanding he usually is, and I was incredibly excited. It was cool to say I rode with him, but it definitely was not what I expected. My horse and I worked for months on exercises I heard he preferred, and I signed up for EquestrianCoach for a few months to watch the videos and practice leading up to the clinic. I learned quite a bit from that, which I guess would be the positive in all this.
                    I had a VERY similar experience. I know everyone has off days, but it was a bummer because the clinic was a pretty big splurge for me at the time. He just really was not engaged with the riders -- basically all the feedback I got was "good." And my horse and I were not that good (ha)! Not to mention, I asked him a question *during his Q/A* and rather than answering, he referred me to his website. I understand that that's his business, but I spent about $600 for his expertise that day, so I would have appreciated an answer.

                    Anyway, I assume if you're in a warmer climate, and he's gotten more sleep, he'll be great.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by longtimelurker View Post
                      Not to mention, I asked him a question *during his Q/A* and rather than answering, he referred me to his website. I understand that that's his business, but I spent about $600 for his expertise that day, so I would have appreciated an answer.
                      This.

                      I've never ridden with him, but I've audited his clinics. All I saw was basically a massive promotion of website, with little actual content. I wouldn't pay much to ride with him.
                      Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yes, he can get cranky at times, if the host doesn't do their job. Sorry you had a bad experience. He really is great. His videos are great training tools, so don't knock the site. Hopefully you will give him another chance

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Based on youtube videos of clinics, I would not ride with him. Neither my horse nor I are patient enough to stand endlessly while he touts his website.

                          His accomplishments are impressive but teaching well is a separate skill from riding & competing.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FAW View Post
                            Yes, he can get cranky at times, if the host doesn't do their job. Sorry you had a bad experience. He really is great. His videos are great training tools, so don't knock the site. Hopefully you will give him another chance
                            I would have welcomed cranky -- my experience was just totally apathetic. I do know people who have had positive experiences with him, I'm just not inclined to spend my money with him again when there are many other highly-qualified clinicians who spend less of the time I'm paying for plugging a separate resource. I'm not knocking the site at all - I've used it - but I don't think it was appropriate for him to spend such a large portion of the clinic I attended deflecting questions by referring people to it. Again, this may have been an isolated experience, but one I'd be loathe to risk repeating.

                            ETA: To my knowledge, the host did their job. There were an appropriate number of riders in each section. Each horse and rider seemed to be in the correct section for their ability level. There were lots of volunteers and auditors. They couldn't, however, control the weather (it was cold, but there was a heated lounge to warm up between sections), or the amount of sleep he'd gotten. He did mention that he was jet lagged and tired...
                            Last edited by longtimelurker; Sep. 16, 2017, 08:29 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by longtimelurker View Post

                              I would have welcomed cranky -- my experience was just totally apathetic. I do know people who have had positive experiences with him, I'm just not inclined to spend my money with him again when there are many other highly-qualified clinicians who spend less of the time I'm paying for plugging a separate resource. I'm not knocking the site at all - I've used it - but I don't think it was appropriate for him to spend such a large portion of the clinic I attended deflecting questions by referring people to it. Again, this may have been an isolated experience, but one I'd be loathe to risk repeating.
                              I think that we must have been at the same one, cuts that's how I felt to a tee.
                              \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                WOW, kind of split right down the middle....Now I'm a bit more nervous. I HATE wasting my money. Rode in a clinic with a BNT and it was awful. The time spent was with 1 person who had a very green horse for our level and I think I went around the exercise maybe 3 times in 1.5 hours. So will let you know which side I come down on after the weekend...Wish me luck!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Fingers crossed you have a great weekend!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Good luck! I hope you have a wonderful clinic. I'm assuming this is the Bernie Traurig clinic in Idaho? I almost went and visited my sibling, so could audit the clinic.

                                    Comment

                                    • Original Poster

                                      #19
                                      Yes, at my trainer's barn, lovely facility, great weather, so fingers crossed, for sure...

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Give him a chance. Listen, do your job. He will help you. It will be money well spent

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X