• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dumb leg question...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb leg question...

What do you think is best for legs while riding: bare, boots, or polo wraps?

I haven't had any problems with my guy or anything, I just want to do my best to keep it that way. He is 9, gets ridden 3-4 days a week (usually closer to 3), jumping once or twice of those times. Right now, we're doing 2'-2'6" aiming to eventually do the adult amateurs. I doubt either of us will ever go higher, possibly local 3'6" as pipe dream for One Day.

Just curious if you guys think I need to think about supporting his legs.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I have an 11 year old that is not jumped over 3ft twice a week and I ride him the same or a little bit more a week. I protect his legs with the eskradon boots just because. I would use boots(or even wraps-but they are more time consuming) just to take that extra step because accidents do happen and they could save his legs!

Comment

Nothing you strap to his legs are going to support them. If he brushes, then I'd go with a pair of brushing boots. If not, leave his legs bare for flatwork.

Jumping- what are you worried about? Him whacking himself? If so, I'd looks for a pair of boots to protect that area (Tendon boots with a guard, brushing boots with guards)
      Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm just thinking of the cumulative landing stress of being an O/F horse for (hopefully) a career/lifetime. I thought wraps and some boots were to help take some of the shock, like an Ace bandage. He doesn't hit himself on the flat or O/F.
        "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Comment

If he can go bare for flatwork, go bare. Just one less thing to spend money on/wash/worry about rubbing.

I do like to use some kind of front boots for jumping, just to protect the tendons from lacerations if there's an awkward landing. And I do boot all around when I use studs, for similar reasons.

Comment

I use front boots just as a precaution for if my mare interferes. My trainer requires nearly all horses to jump with boots so it's become a habit to put them on for flatwork too. I bought a pair of Roma open front that look nice, hold up well, and are way cheaper than eskadrons. I'd go for those if you need some boots but don't want to spend too much.

Comment

We don't use boots for any horses except for the ones that interfere really badly. If you feel you must boot, I really like T-boots.

Comment

You're going to get a hundred different answers, so do your research and talk to vets.

Personally, my oldest are a 10yo Dutch x and a 15yo Quarab - both have done everything from mountains to jumping (and cattle/ranch work for the Quarab) and have been fully sound throughout their lives (I have had both since foals). I would highly recommend open-front etc jumping boots just to protect tendons during a landing, etc, but those are NOT for support, they are used for potential impact. I never have and never will (even on my 6yo up-and-coming show jumper TB or my 3yo Hano sj prospect once I start her u/s) use support wraps or boots on any of my horses unless they are doing something above and beyond their normal work. To that end however, all my horses are turned out on pasture (so plenty of playtime to build up those legs) and I bring them along slowly in an exercise program. My line of thinking (derived from my own personal research) is that by wrapping for support on a daily basis, you are potentially not allowing the horse's legs to build up their own strength and thus prevent injury (thus possibly making him more injury-prone); build up your horse slowly and his legs should strengthen along with the rest of his body, then use supportive boots only when he is doing something over and above the norm where he is at greater risk of straining himself. Ask some vets though!
                ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I think it depends on the horse, his or her history and what you are doing that day. I have one horse that cannot go w/o bell boots expecially in turn out because he steps on his heels w/ his hinds and cuts himself.

Another horse I don't boot too much unless I am jumping. This horse I like the leather open front Beval type boots. And even in turn out he is nakid.

If just flatting one of my horses I like a Dover elastic/velcro boot. When jumping this horse I like polos. He has some ankle issues and I feel this helps a bit w/ support for schooling... just like putting an ace bandage on your wrist or knee if you have a weakness when doing harder work.... This horse "cannot" wear those Escadron boots... he gets lumps where the strap goes....

I think if schooling jumping I would put some sort of protection in case of a miss-guided leg or jump pole.... lol

I do ice and wrap legs if I jumped or worked horses hard... I think finding a balance between too much and not enough and consider work done and horse ridden.

Probably didn't help you much, but that's just my take... kind of like a bit.... each horse requires different things......
                  Live in the sunshine.
                  Swim in the sea.
                  Drink the wild air.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks

Ok. Sounds like he's all right naked and I don't have to spend any more money. I was just curious b/c I'd kind of like him around a while.

Comment

It really is hard to say. I used to agonize over booting my old horse. I still worry about it. But it's all about what fits into your program. Along with no boots we don't wrap (after work or for shipping). We sorta do the old school, country boy, hands off program. Working pretty well so far as they've got a number of older horses who are still sound. Horses that legitimately need boots get them, and if they have studs in they may get them too.

Interestingly, when I had this horse in a different program that used boots and wraps he stocked up when stalled for too long. In our new no booting/no wrapping program he's never stocked up. So the no booting thing seems to be working well for him. I DO use bell boots sometimes.

Comment

I either polo wrap or put boots on my horse's legs every time I ride him. Is it for support? No, because neither provide any support, just some protection from brushing. I mainly put them on because I think they make his legs look prettier

Comment

I think a polo offers a bit of support. Wrap your leg with one and go around your ankle like you would your horses pastern joint... there is a bit of support..

But in the end - - whatever floats ones boat... lol.....
                          Live in the sunshine.
                          Swim in the sea.
                          Drink the wild air.

Comment

IIRC, there were a few studies done some years back looking for evidence a so called "support" boot could actually support a tendon in heavy work. The results were inconclusive at the very best and did not support advertising claims and paid endorsements touting this or that brand of "support" boot as preventing soft tissue strains/sprains/tears.

I sometimes do use an open front boot or polos just to prevent the much more common scrapes and bruises from simple contact with themselves and foreign objects. Barn usually turns out in bell boots and simple splint boots for the same reason.
                            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Horseloverz is having a dollar days sale. They have some decent waxed leather open front boots and splint boots on sale for $5. They aren't the most awesome you will ever see, but do a decent job and are pretty good looking.

Comment

My horses don't get booted up unless they interfere. My sturdy warmblood mare never gets boots unless we're jumping particularly big (and then just a pair of eskadrons up front). My TB gets hind boots because he does whack his hind legs together on occasion and bell boots. My other horses go naked unless jumping anything substantial.

My only exception is if they're wearing studs in which case they get fronts, hinds, and bells.

Comment

Working...
                                X