• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Rushing green jumper - bitting & exercises?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rushing green jumper - bitting & exercises?

Without going through the whole story, horse is newer to me; has history of training as a barrel racer and I've had her for a couple of months now and am trying to transition as a dressage/jumper/eventer (career TBD based on aptitude ). We're getting there on flatwork. Had real trouble with accepting the contact and reaching in to the bridle - it's not perfect, but if we can get all the puzzle pieces together during a ride, it happens... I'll get some actual weight in the bridle and she connects through. This mostly all goes out the window if she gets stressed or anxious - she's sensitive and a perfectionist, so this isn't entirely uncommon (or surprising).

We've started over poles and tiny fences. She can trot and trot-in to a baby gymnastic and be relatively civil. Cantering is a whole 'nother ballgame. Her tendency, if/when we're having a less-than-stellar day, is to invert, throw her head in the air (she does NOT lean into the bit - she tries to evade contact entirely), blow through your outside aids and lose steering, and compress her stride to basically remove all "forward" and just canter/bounce practically in place. Once you get her out of the bouncing and moving forward, she pretty much just runs. So far our exercises to tackle this are primarily ground poles on a canter circle or a cavaletti with a placing rail on a circle. What other exercises do you like for this type?

The other question is about bitting. She goes in a double jointed (oval link) loose ring. Any thoughts on a gentle hackamore?

Obviously more flatwork is a very big part of this equation. We only attempt ground poles and/or jumps if she's going well on the flat. With more time, my hope is that correct flatwork becomes easier for her than the incorrect work / evasions she dreams up will not be as easy for her to reflex to. However, her flatwork is generally well beyond what I consider to be the basics necessary to start introducing O/F work, so I don't think it is entirely inappropriate to consider how to start making that happen.

How is the steering? If she can neck rein, then a hackamore might work. However, it may not help you a lot when you want to try to get some contact with the snaffle. Or when you need to steer in your circle in the air over the small fence or pole. What about a side-pull action? You can teach the direct rein that you don't have with a hackamore but still without the bit.

I'd stick with trotting poles and tiny fences until it's more than "relatively" civil. Single jumps and then longer lines, trot in and trot out. Keep at the trotting until it's boring. Then add baby gymnastics at the trot. Bounces and one strides. Tiny. Then go with the canter starting back over at poles. I do like keeping things on a circle at the canter for this type.

I will also walk small jumps with one that rushes, but you don't want her to just jig. Start with 6" cavaletti. If she steps over it, great. Go to 1'. If she jumps 6", keep at it till that's more boring.

The goal is to slow everything down so you do not have to worry about your hands or her head. You just want her to wait and maybe give her a little squeeze with your legs when it's time to leave the ground. Getting into a grabbing game with your hands won't do a thing for her anxiety, so you can get some control through using a slower gait, circles, but you don't want to be pulling, even if she does rush. Let her make the mistake and let go. The slow gait or very short approach of a circle will help you keep it somewhat under control.

I'd also try to do a little bit of that every ride. So it's not just flatwork days and then "jumping" days that are full of anxiety. Even if you just pop over a single cavaletti one time and she's relaxed and then that's all you do with that for the day.

Comment

How balanced is her canter? What size circles do you canter? Does she throw her shoulder out? If she hasn't developed her balance yet then she probably will throw herself over jumps.

How experienced are you jumping? Do you sit back and wait for the jump or do you have a tendency to jump ahead?

How far in front of the jump does the horse start inverting or getting quick?

One exercise you might want to try it to trot in to a small jump, canter out and halt. After a few times (and if the horse is relaxed) try to canter in, then halt after.
      http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

Why are you thinking of a hackamore instead of a different mouthpiece? Have you tried a single jointed snaffle? Or keep the double joint but try something that is more still in the mouth, like a baucher.
        http://trainingcupid.blogspot.com/

Comment

I knew of someone with an ex-barrel racing horse that just never got it. It wasn't her "cup of tea" so to speak. Some horses are really hard to transition. They've only known running at something with any excitement. They were trained that way. I'm not saying your horse is hopeless. I hope she gets it. But there are those who don't.

I think just a lot of SLOW work on poles, etc. until they get BORING. Then do it some more. When my mare is rushy, I stop her after every fence. If she's still rushing I stop and back her after every jump. When she gets quieter (she'll eventually just start to stop on her own) then I canter through my corner. If she speeds up again, back to stopping.

Good luck!
          “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
          ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Actually, if her anxiety is bit/contact related a hackamore may allow her to learn the principles without triggering her anxiety. Expect to take some time to train her to the hackamore before advancing to introducing jumping again.

I had a young horse who had an automatic snatch and jerk at the slightest touch on the bit. I put him in a hackamore for a while, then added the bit without reins so he could carry it while working, then used double reins and gradually switched the primary rein from the hackamore back to the bit. The whole process took about a year. The hackamore bypassed his automatic snatch and jerk response so he could learn what was being asked.

I would make sure she has a good canter on the flat before adding anything extra. Trotting gymnastics in the meantime can help her learn the basic jumping skills. Developing canter strength takes time, and the muscles are not used the same way as when racing around barrels full tilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pohney View Post
              Without going through the whole story, horse is newer to me; has history of training as a barrel racer and I've had her for a couple of months now and am trying to transition as a dressage/jumper/eventer (career TBD based on aptitude ). We're getting there on flatwork. Had real trouble with accepting the contact and reaching in to the bridle - it's not perfect, but if we can get all the puzzle pieces together during a ride, it happens... I'll get some actual weight in the bridle and she connects through. This mostly all goes out the window if she gets stressed or anxious - she's sensitive and a perfectionist, so this isn't entirely uncommon (or surprising).
              If her previous career was barrel racing (or some degree of it), I'm curious ... how is she bred?

Sounds like she tends to be a hot and sensitive type of horse, which is pretty common for a lot of barrel racing horses. If that's the case, you'll always have that fine line of pushing them and pushing them too far. In order to progress, you have to push them. But yet you don't want to get past that point where they're "done" learning.

We've started over poles and tiny fences. She can trot and trot-in to a baby gymnastic and be relatively civil. Cantering is a whole 'nother ballgame. Her tendency, if/when we're having a less-than-stellar day, is to invert, throw her head in the air (she does NOT lean into the bit - she tries to evade contact entirely), blow through your outside aids and lose steering, and compress her stride to basically remove all "forward" and just canter/bounce practically in place. Once you get her out of the bouncing and moving forward, she pretty much just runs. So far our exercises to tackle this are primarily ground poles on a canter circle or a cavaletti with a placing rail on a circle. What other exercises do you like for this type?
              Sounds like she had lots of holes in whatever barrel racing training she had. My barrel horses need to be BROKE before they ever go to the pattern.

My number one safety concern with any horse is to STOP. Some of the hotter type horses won't "tolerate" you stopping them a lot but you can work on lots of downward transitions instead. Teach them to get those feet under them. So I would do tons of downward transitions and teach them to relax into it when you give them the cue.

Of course, she needs more work with body control, which just takes time. And quite honestly, if she is blowing through your leg aids, do not let her. Put on some spurs and pop her a good one. If she's flat out refusing to listen to you, then you've got to get her attention. Of course, always give her the opportunity first to respond correctly to a soft cue, but sometimes you just need to let them know they have to knock it off.

The other question is about bitting. She goes in a double jointed (oval link) loose ring. Any thoughts on a gentle hackamore?
              Personally, I would not put her into a hackamore. She needs to re-learn to accept contact and I believe going to a hackamore would just ignore the problem.

If she was ridden western previously, I would probably put her into a curb bit of some kind (you can certainly use a broken mouthpice ... I myself prefer double jointed) and get some control on her again. Of course, you don't need to keep her in it, as you wouldn't be able to if you plan on showing her, but it's something you may need to do to get her back on track. Going "up" with a bit will often let you come back "down" when the horse is going better.

It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by IPEsq View Post
                I'd stick with trotting poles and tiny fences until it's more than "relatively" civil. Single jumps and then longer lines, trot in and trot out. Keep at the trotting until it's boring. Then add baby gymnastics at the trot. Bounces and one strides. Tiny. Then go with the canter starting back over at poles. I do like keeping things on a circle at the canter for this type.

I will also walk small jumps with one that rushes, but you don't want her to just jig. Start with 6" cavaletti. If she steps over it, great. Go to 1'. If she jumps 6", keep at it till that's more boring.

The goal is to slow everything down so you do not have to worry about your hands or her head. You just want her to wait and maybe give her a little squeeze with your legs when it's time to leave the ground. Getting into a grabbing game with your hands won't do a thing for her anxiety, so you can get some control through using a slower gait, circles, but you don't want to be pulling, even if she does rush. Let her make the mistake and let go. The slow gait or very short approach of a circle will help you keep it somewhat under control.

I'd also try to do a little bit of that every ride. So it's not just flatwork days and then "jumping" days that are full of anxiety. Even if you just pop over a single cavaletti one time and she's relaxed and then that's all you do with that for the day.
                This is what we are doing with the horse I ride now and I can tell it is making a difference (taking time, but there is progress). Slow and steady, make it boring and make it work not just fun wheee we're jumping let's run through it all. Walk in trot out, walk in walk out, keep your horse guessing. We are also randomly picking fences so he doesn't know what is coming next and incorporate some ground poles and cavaletti, not just one line hammered over and over and over. We pretend we are walking to the edge of the arena then pick up a trot close to a jump and trot over it. When he focuses intently on the jump that is when he tends to get really amped up.

Once that is calmly done we'll move on to canter in canter out and eventually be able to put a course together. He's been out of jumping work for a few months so we just have to go back to basics and get to the point we were at before the break.

The first day it was a struggle to get to walk and not get excited about the jump. But he did it and got lot of praise. Now he's walking and to the point where if he picks up a relaxed trot or relaxed canter he can stay at the pace out of the line. If it is a *holy crap we're jumping whee* or anxious canter we go back to walk and walk out of the line. It is helping me relax, helping him relax, and hopefully we'll be cantering lines in a calmer fashion soon. He doesn't fling his head around like OP's horse... he's just a freight train.

Another exercise we've done is to put her jump on a large circle... don't just go straight after it. You can put a jump on each side of the circle. She'll learn she can't run through the turn.

Comment

Mix it up as much as possible. Tons of transitions, circles, smaller circles, serpentines, changing directions. Never just go in a straight line. I find that stopping on a straight line can increase anxiety so if my horse lands too quickly from a jump I turn and he has to slow himself down to make the turn. Walking tiny fences is great. Slow everything way down. Even if that means only walking for a few weeks. Perfect one gait at a time
                  Hudson Valley's Premier Tack Shop www.argentoeq.com/

Life is happening for us not to us

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the tips and ideas. I think we're going to proceed with frequent ground pole work at all gaits, with some of these ideas incorporated - slow, highly variable work - and occasionally throw cross rails in. I'd been thinking of the hackamore as an idea while she's gaining confidence in the contact. She has moments where she actually accepts the bit, but at this point, it is very inconsistent. For her, in particular, I don't like the exercise of stopping in a straight line because her go-to is to compress, go up more than forward, and move her legs at the speed of light.

Comment

The barrel racing thing can be a problem, especially for a sensitive horse. Because they can't get away from the punishment, there is no way to not get a beating while performing, because it is part of every "run". At least that is what I see locally (obviously this is not the case with skilled riders and trainers, and yes, I know there are skilled riders and trainers in this sport, just not locally. I don't know about your location, obviously. I see barrel racers who refuse to enter the arena, spinning, rearing, running backwards with dread, refusing to complete the course as commonplace, and punitive equipment used liberally. Voicing these observations here may well get me "slammed" by barrel racing enthusiasts, but it doesn't change the facts of what I see with low level "trainers". Of course, low level and unskilled trainers exist in every discipline, but it is the addition of the desire for speed that can be so damaging in this case IMO). This sort of treatment can drive a sensitive horse out of his/her mind with dread and fear, and can be hard to undo. The scars remain. Makes it hard to get a horse like this to accept any pressure about anything without panic setting in, especially when some speed and athletic goals are introduced into the work.

I would start by "rebreaking" the horse. Make sure that her dentistry is up to date. Start from scratch, right from the beginning, all over again. Find a snaffle she finds comfortable. Ground work. Lunge, Long line. Cue and accurate and quiet responses to soft pressure. Reward. Ride using leg, she needs to accept your leg, and wait for her to reach for contact, and know what pressure from the reins means, and that everything you ask her to do is going to be "fair" to her. That is, you are going to show her first what you want her to do, and release any pressure you put on her. She needs to believe that everything you are going to ask her to do by applying soft pressure is going to be easy for her, if she gives it some thought. That "thinking" and remaining calm, responding accurately, gains release and reward. And that the "ask" is going to be short term, there is going to be a release. This is "fair", in a horse's opinion, and "fair" treatment will gain you trust from her. Put a correctly fitted running martingale on this horse, so that when/if she raises her head to invert, any bit pressure remains on her bars, does NOT change onto pressure on the corners of the mouth should she raise her head (this can add to freaking out some sensitive horses).A standing martingale will just be a reminder of a tie down, a restrictionwhich she may well strain against or cause her further panic, and will be not helpful. No noseband, or loose noseband, don't restrict her. If she needs to open her mouth to escape, best to let her escape if she feels she needs to, and redo the exercise again later, hoping she does not feel the need to escape the next time, if she gives the exercise some thought. When she has that "trust" information installed into her brain (if she can accept this information after her previous experiences), she will begin to trust you, if that is possible for her. If you can not gain her trust, you will not be successful with your goals with this horse, IMO

It sounds like she is not accepting the leg and responding accurately, or pressure from the rein and responding accurately. So that is what I would work on. If you are losing any accurate responses when attempting to jump, she is not ready to jump, by definition. Stay with poles on the ground for "jumps" until she understands about staying soft, staying supple, staying relaxed, and responding to pressure accurately. You should be able to trot AND canter round a course of poles on the ground quietly, softly, with a loose rein AND soft contact here and there throughout the course without any drama before increasing the size of the jumps.

Have you free jumped her? I would do that, so that she has to make all the decisions, and finds that it works best to stay relaxed, look at the jump, and rate her own step to the take off distance. If she can free jump and remain soft and relaxed doing it WITHOUT a rider, there is more chance that she will eventually be able to do the same thing with a rider that she trusts, who treats her softly and fairly. Once riding her, your job will be to interfere as little as possible with your hands, and SHE will do what SHE needs to do to get to the jump. If she has talent, she can be successful with very little use of the reins, as long as she trusts you, believes that she is safe in your care, and accepts your leg.

Good luck!
                      www.cordovafarm.weebly.com

Comment

No balance and no knowledge of aids = NO jumping.
                        A nice fat, heavy snaffle please.
                        Check your saddle fit and her teeth, please.
                        Trot spirals and figure 8's and random patterns, let her build new muscles.
                        Canter, untacked, on the lunge only and teach/enforce voice aids
                        Get a GOOD pro with tons of greenie experience on her occaisionally.
                        Treat her like the 3yo she's acting like,
                        Please.
                        Go, Baby, Go......
                        Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

Fat snaffle might not ge a good choice for a QH and their characteristic shallow mouth. Bits aren't as they appear to us humans.

But this horse spent years doing something else, that something being high energy and explosive speed. You can't reverse that in a few months. It needs to be restarted and learn to accept contact and relax before bring faced with galloping to a jump and expected to stay calm, cool and collected. It doesn't know what's expected.
                          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                          X