• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Small (or underrated) things that impress you....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small (or underrated) things that impress you....

I am "barn shopping". I used to have a running theory that horse people do not check their emails. I called a place last week and spoke to the owner. She was super friendly and suggested I email to set up a time to visit the place.

Not only was my email responded to in the same day, I learned that the barn allows for online payments.

On top of happy staff and horses, this place blew me away with their communication and organization.

What are some small things that impress you about your trainer or your barn?

Being invited and included. I keep my horses at home and trailer out for lessons. What makes a difference to me is the openness and welcome attitude of the boarders at a barn. It makes a difference in a trainer I want to work with and a trainer I don't want to work with as I feel like how fellow barnmates treat each other is a reflection of the values of the trainer.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Great friendly group of people who pull for each other and are always willing to lend a helping hand. As Pocket Pony wrote, this doesn't happen by accident, but is a reflection of the trainers. Great organization and communication by the trainers and others. Someone always at home to give lessons and ride horses. Old fashioned, in a good way.
      The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

I moved to a new barn three months ago, and have discovered a lot of "little things" to like about my new place:

- community atmosphere: yesterday the entire barn came out to help move the jumps from the indoor to the outdoor, for example
        - "modern" communication: email, text and a closed FB group, all used prolifically and responded to promptly
        - "modern" payment methods: e-transfer is preferred!
        - halters off during turnout: truly a little thing, but with a young gelding who loves to play with his pal, it's saved me a ton of $$$ in repairs!
        - happiness: the trainers, the staff, the clients, the horses, the barn cats, the dogs -- everyone is just HAPPY and smiling 99% of the time

And, of course, the big things are all in place, too.

Comment

I'm just two months in at a new barn and the trainers are incredibly dedicated to the horses. They personally feed the grain & supplements in the evening and add carrots to all the buckets. They come out and do this on Mondays when the barn is closed! There's a firm structure for the horses with flexibility for the owners, which is ideal for my work schedule.

Comment

Just started riding at a new barn and on my first visit, the owner/trainer gave me a tour and introduced me to each horse/pony. As in "This is Dobbin and he's a really brave soul..." Tickled me because they ARE the occupants of the house so why wouldn't we personally greet them?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by DarkBayUnicorn View Post
              I moved to a new barn three months ago, and have discovered a lot of "little things" to like about my new place:

- community atmosphere: yesterday the entire barn came out to help move the jumps from the indoor to the outdoor, for example
              - "modern" communication: email, text and a closed FB group, all used prolifically and responded to promptly
              - "modern" payment methods: e-transfer is preferred!
              - halters off during turnout: truly a little thing, but with a young gelding who loves to play with his pal, it's saved me a ton of $$$ in repairs!
              - happiness: the trainers, the staff, the clients, the horses, the barn cats, the dogs -- everyone is just HAPPY and smiling 99% of the time

And, of course, the big things are all in place, too.
              Definitely agree with all these points! Especially the last one..

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RileysMom View Post
                Just started riding at a new barn and on my first visit, the owner/trainer gave me a tour and introduced me to each horse/pony. As in "This is Dobbin and he's a really brave soul..." Tickled me because they ARE the occupants of the house so why wouldn't we personally greet them?
                So funny, the same happened to me when I visited this place! Every horse had a story about how amazing they were, how they came to the barn, who loved them... etc. Just gives you a sense to how important they are to the people who care for them...

Comment

Kind boarders who help look out for each other's horses. I had to leave on a trip out to he country soon after I got my horse and was paranoid. My fellow boarders would text me pics of him in the paddock or getting scratches to assure me he was doing great. Everyone keeps an out eye out and especially at night, will do a barn walk to look in on everyone to make sure all doors are latched, and everyone looks happy and well.

Comment

As I told my farrier when I visited a new boarding facility and she asked if I liked it:

"Well, all the t-posts have caps."

I do board there because it's a small place (five horses), nice owner, had an arena, but none of that would have mattered if the t posts were not capped.

Comment

For me the people make all the difference. Is this a place I enjoy being even when I'm not riding? Of course this is the horse world so some people are going to have more means than others, but are trainers/other boarders as friendly to the weekly beginner lesson student as they are to the wealthy amateur lady with 5 horses? To me that makes a huge difference. I'm very lucky that my barn now has a fun group of amateurs and older juniors that all have a great time supporting each other at whatever level we are at.

Comment

I think it's nearly impossible to figure this out until you've been at a barn for awhile, because anyone can talk the talk (and most do). One thing I will say about our barn that I like is our B.O. will kick people out if they stir up trouble. She doesn't just say it--she really does it. Just the knowledge that they could be kicked out helps everyone mind their manners a bit more! And I agree about being friendly to those just doing lessons...you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat EVERYONE in the barn.

Comment

I'll play along.

- They do what they promise: if they said they do blanket changes and put boots on for t/o, they do it... all the time! I have struggled with this at some facilities where the lack of help/different help all of the time causes sloppiness. Fly masks/turnout boots/bell boots are NOT left in the pastures when they fall off (huge pet peeve of mine when I see tons of them in the field or I have to go searching for my horses's stuff)!

- A friendly and encouraging atmosphere: I believe people around you make or break your experience. 1 sour person can truly sour a whole barn. Barn mates get along and although might be competitors in the show ring, they are encouraging. I believe this starts with the trainer and they set the standard of this.

- I'll second about being truly dedicated to the horses: you can tell people who don't have the best interest of the horses's at heart. I am a very involved owner and rider - I expect the workers to be the same way. I expect my trainer to be the same way.

Comment

I agree with you about the email thing - I've had about 50% response rate on email or FB (this is ~15 barns at this point). Which would be fine, but if you're not going to answer either method, why do you put the option on your website? I'm a scientist wearing gloves that I do not want touching my phone, please email me back so we don't play 9 rounds of telephone tag.

Communication and organization are a big thing for me, because you can tell how that's going to go right away. As other have said, some things are going to take time to figure out, like are people actually friendly or are they secretly all gossiping about each other, are the horses actually on a schedule or do they play fast and loose with supplements, etc. At least if the trainer/BM/BO/general person in charge is on top of things and easy to get in touch with, I figure I'll be able to at least address any issues that might arise, and they should have their barn in order.

Current barn was very welcoming, almost every boarder I ran into the first day introduced themselves and included me into their conversations as much as possible.

Comment

First rate care of the horses and a communicative trainer and barn staff are my biggies.

I like to be in constant communication concerning any vet/first aid issues and when it comes to training as well. For example, when my horse had a LH distal wound they trainer and or barn worker changed his bandage every 3 days, and would text me pictures of the progress. I also enjoy getting text updates after training rides about how Dobbin did that day, and what I should focus on during my next ride.
                              http://hunkyhanoverian.com

Comment

I like to be alone and have quiet when I go to ride after work. So my favorite thing about my barn is that I am really the only person there during the week that rides, and there is only one other lady that comes and rides and hangs out with me on the weekend. I worked on the circuit for years so I am very particular about the way I take care of my horse and I like the fact that no one criticizes me for the amount of time and effort I put in. Yes, there use to be someone there that was always nagging about how I kept my horse clipped up, bathed, and blanketed! He was later released to find a new barn.

Comment

I'll ditto what's been said above about modern and easy to communicate with, especially via email and text. Also friendly and welcoming boarders. Obviously it takes a little while to get to know folks but you can generally tell off the bat whether the boarders are open and welcoming to new comers. Granted this is not something a trainer or barn manager can necessarily control but I think organizing adult group lessons or potlucks after lessons helps foster a collegial atmosphere.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by OldLadyYoungOTTB View Post
                                    I think it's nearly impossible to figure this out until you've been at a barn for awhile, because anyone can talk the talk (and most do). One thing I will say about our barn that I like is our B.O. will kick people out if they stir up trouble. She doesn't just say it--she really does it. Just the knowledge that they could be kicked out helps everyone mind their manners a bit more! And I agree about being friendly to those just doing lessons...you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat EVERYONE in the barn.
                                    I've ridden at so many barns where the BOs walk on eggshells to try to prevent any kind of exodus. I think it usually does not end up favorable for the health of the barn community. In my experience, it can create a real festering environment.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by raisethebar View Post
                                      I'll play along.

- They do what they promise: if they said they do blanket changes and put boots on for t/o, they do it... all the time! I have struggled with this at some facilities where the lack of help/different help all of the time causes sloppiness. Fly masks/turnout boots/bell boots are NOT left in the pastures when they fall off (huge pet peeve of mine when I see tons of them in the field or I have to go searching for my horses's stuff)!

This is HUGE. ESPECIALLY if the barn charges extra for these services.

Comment

Turnout.
                                        Horses actually turned out, not empty fields with pristine grass.
                                        "The best of any breed is the thoroughbred horse..." - GHM

www.mmeqcenter.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X