• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ariat field boots. Opinions, differences, etc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ariat field boots. Opinions, differences, etc?

So I finally had my old fake leather Devon Aire tall boots bite the dust. They've put in a good run actually! I found some pretty good deals on a website on Ariat Heritage II field boots ($160) and was wondering if anyone has personal experience with them.

Some background- I am a broke college student, and I ride in my Ariat half chaps, paddock boots, and jeans daily, on about 2 different horses a day. I really only need some decent looking, fairly comfortable field boots because I show training level eventing, and do 3'3" jumpers. Therefore, I was looking at the less expensive Ariats.

I got to researching though, and is there a HUGE difference between the Ariat Heritage II, and the Ariat Heritage Selects? Is it worth the extra $150 bucks to skip the Heritage and buy the Challenges? If so, what's the difference between the Challenge II and the regular Challenges?

Any other suggestions to offer? I know I would love to just buy some used customs, but I think I would rather buy new so I can do the whole water trick and let them fit custom to my leg. Plus, it's a lot easier if something breaks to try to get Ariat to replace them, rather than buying it privately.

Thanks for any help!

I have owned heritages and they dropped a LOT on me, but maybe that's just me.

The challenges are nice boots- the pull ons are significantly cheaper and there are usually sales/coupons for them around for Dover, etc. I just recently got the zip Challenges (my first zip upboots ever!) and am pleased with the quality, IMO a big step up from the Heritage boots.

Comment

I know there are a lot of people that will tell you that Ariat has gone to S***, but I've been pleased with everything I have from them, so far.. I love my Ariat paddock boots (4 years old and still looking great), and I bought a pair of Ariat Challenge II field boots back in october, days before our first IHSA show, when my other pair of field boots (not ariat) broke.

So far, the boots have held up wonderfully, and I can't say I'm particularly kind to them (walking 1-2 miles a day on gravel/dust roads in them, and using them to muck stalls in bathe horses). They broke in SO easily, I wore them everywhere around campus for 4 days straight, and never got a single blister. Coach and other trainers were pleased with them. In a lot of reviews, people complained about the zippers, which made me cautious when buying them, but so far, no problems whatsoever. I'm not sure of the difference btwn the Challenge and the CHallenge II's, but I have the latter.

Personally, I would spare the money for Challenge vs Heritage, b/c a friend of mine who bought a pair of heritage was not nearly as pleased. She says that after 2 years they still have not broken in completely, they are uncomfortable, the zipper has broken twice, and she always has blisters. I've heard of similar experiences from other heritage owners.

***ETA -- The only problem I have with the Challenge's is that they don't polish up as nicely as my old pair (they don't become as shiny .. ) But I have noticed an improvement as I polish them more and more

Comment

I have had 2 pairs of Heritage II's. I use them for everyday boots. I have a 15 year old pair of Vogels that I am trying to make last for the rest of my life (unfortunately, it isn't looking good), because I'll never be able to replace them, that I show in. The Heritage II boots themselves have held up well, but I have had problems with the zippers. I broke the zipper twice on the first pair. The first time, Ariat replaced it for free, no questions asked. Even paid shipping, both ways. The boots were just over a year old. The second was about a year later. Not sure if it was the same boot or not. I didn't contact Ariat, because I didn't think they would do it on a boot that was 2 years old. I just bought a new pair. I just recently broke the zipper pull on one of those. Have the high fashion paper clip look going on with that! I find them comfortable, although they did take some breaking in. Until they broke in, I only wore them for riding. I'd put them on just before and take them off immediately afterwards. Now, I wear them all the time. One thing I don't like is that the extra wide calf doesn't come in extra tall. I need both of those things. They did seem VERY tall when I got them, but I agree that they broke down a lot and now are about an inch shorter than I'd like or I'd be perfectly happy to show in them. I still would, if I needed to, I just like that my Vogels come right up to the "notch" in my knee cap. Of course, they fit my foot and ankle fabulously, like no stock boot ever could, but I think the Ariats fit fine, other than being a bit short for my very long (but fat) legs. If you are budget conscious, then I would say they would be a good choice, but be aware of the zipper breaking issues. The leather, which isn't as beautiful as the French baby calf of my Vogels, sure is a lot more durable.

Comment

I'd keep looking on eBay to see if you can find a pair of better quality boots at the same price. I got a pair of the Italian made Crown Pros for less than the cost of the Heritages. They were hardly used and after I did the bathtub method twice they now fit me like they were custom made. After everything I have heard about Ariat's lack of quality control and customer service I will be very hesitant to purchase anything from them in the future. The new made in China stuff just doesn't hold up as well as the Ariats used to. You might want to take a look at Mountain Horse or Grand Prix, I've heard great things about both of their boots.

Comment

Ariat and me, we have a loooooooooot of history. Starting with my paddock boots that ripped down the side (how did that happen?!) and my black half chaps that turned green after I used glycerine on them (again, how?!).

Yet I've had the same pair of tall boots since I was 13 (~4 years) and yeah, the leather wasn't supreme nor buttery soft (I think my boots are "crowne" or maybe challenges, they were around the $400 price range) but they fit and cleaned up nice enough to do the job. The leather actually held up better than my friend's suuuuper chic DerDau customs--they had holes in the calf and rubs after like a year (I think she rode two horses a day, three times a week). The zippers, on the other hand (if you are not planning on getting zip boots, ignore me!) are pure crap. So save yourself some drama, if you end up getting Ariats, just put in new zippers (my cobbler did it for me for $25/boot) and you'll be happy as a clam.

Now I ride in these boots every day, several horses and I couldn't be happier. Though my trainer is making me save up for new boots because the 13 year old version of myself had waaay shorter legs.

Comment

I have the Challenge (I think the Challenge II might have more of a Spanish cut top? Not positive though) anyway, I LOVE my boots. They're super comfy, have held up well and look really nice.
              Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
              If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Comment

I have the Challenge IIs. I think that they have a slightly higher Spanish cut top and perhaps a more tapered ankle? Not sure. Either way, I looooove them. I had a bit of a difficult break-in period with them, but they were the first pair of tall boots I'd broken in (bought my first 2 pairs used) so there was a learning curve. Hey, the blisters and sores healed in a couple weeks, so it was all good. I still get blisters from them on my left heel when I wear the silky type of boot socks, but they are slightly too big so I blame it more on that than the boots themselves. They are VERY comfortable now they're broken in, and I could easily wear them all day. Coming from my old field boots, which were much older-style with a footbed made out of concrete (or so it seemed...) they are like walking on little pillows!

The only issue I've had with mine is that they bleed color like nothing else... I'm not sure why. Always have nice very, very black marks on my saddle pads when I wear them. Haven't put many coats of polish on, and used the same type of polish on my old field boots which never leaked, so who knows... As problems go, it's not such a big deal. It bleaches out of the pads eventually!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice so far everyone!

Hmm... I may have to look into the Challenges instead. Seems like more people have had those and can recommend them.

Thanks again!

Comment

I have a pair of challenges that I've owned for about 4 years now and I like them. I did get an amazing fit with them - people often ask if they are custom. I also ride in my boots regularly - 3-4 days/week.

They did drop a lot - the salesperson recommended that I buy the "Tall" height and I am 5'1! They are now perfect.

Mine are the pull-ons. Personally, I just have bad luck with zippers and I feel like I get longer life from boots without zippers. My recommendation is that you try to get pull-ons so you don't have to replace the zippers down the road!
                    My blog: Journeys in Riding

Comment

One difference between the Heritage and the Challenge II is that the Challenge II are fully lined. While this makes for a little harder break in process, they should hold up longer.

I have a pair of older Heritage (Italy), which I no longer wear that are virtually indestructable. A friend bought the new zip Heritage for a daily boot and while they are doing okay, the leather is much thinner and they have dropped quite a bit.

One of the employees at the barn had a pair of the original zip Challenges and they withstood some serious abuse from her. Five to six horses a day; baths; etc. The zippers broke once and Ariat sent her a new pair of boots - no questions asked. They did drop a lot though and while they are still usable, she finally replaced them after three years because they were too short.

Comment

If you're on a budget, you should definitely take your time and do some bargain shopping. I just got my daughter a pair of the Challenge zip ups on sale for $200. They are pretty nice and have broken in well. Definitely not quite as tapered and sharp looking as some of the higher end boots, though. On the other hand, a few years ago, I found myself a pair of the Beval Puissance zip up boots on ebay for $250 (about 5x as nice for almost the same price). And I'm a size 9, so is wasn't just a closeout on weird sizes. There are deals to be had....Never pay retail!

Comment

Ordered a pair of the Challenge II's for one of the kiddos recently and promptly sent them back. The leather is crap. Instead, I am waiting on a pair of Treadstone Italian calf field boots (for under $400). Got good reviews here and within my budget for a growing child who has gone through two pairs of boots a year for the past two years .
                          Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                          http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

I will add to this the mantra I always add. If you're going to buy something like a boot with a zipper (something that is prone to break no matter who makes them) get them from a place with an excellent return policy, NOT the cheapest place you can find online. Dover takes back boots with broken zippers all the time--it's well worth spending the extra $20 bucks to make sure that someone will be nice to you when the zipper busts
                            www.quiethavenfarm.com

Comment

I have a pair of Ariat Challenges.. I HATE THEM! I wore them probably 10x and bought a new pair. I got the Treadstone boots instead.

Comment

Working...
                              X