• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell me about the County Stabilizer Xtr

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the County Stabilizer Xtr

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these saddles, but before I do I'd like to hear your thoughts!

I use to have a Bates Elevation until I had a saddle fitter out and he hated it, sugested I sell and get something wool flocked( County, Black Country or Prestige). So it's sold and I need a replacement, I really like this saddle and think it's what I will end up with, but I'm always open to other suggestions!!

Thanks in advance, tell me the pros, cons everything!!

Love my Stabilizer XTR. It's a nice saddle and very well balanced generally speaking. I've ridden my mare in hers for the last 6 years and have been happy with it every step of the way through the AO Jumpers.

What do you do with your horse? Hunters? Jumpers? Other? My personal feeling is that the balance is a little less forward than I'd like in a perfect world (though I never felt that way until I bought an Innovation for my TB gelding and realized that I prefer that saddle for the big jumps), and I've heard several people say that the rough rule is that the Stabilizer is better for hunters and the Innovation is better for jumpers (very rough rule with lots of exceptions, of course).

All in all I love my County saddles.

Comment

Well, I don't have the XTR, but I do own the Stabilizer itself (as well as a slightly older Symmetry). As many have heard me say already, I am in love with that saddle. They are so great for horses' backs, and riding in it is like sitting on a heavenly little piece of cloud - though it's certainly not "fluffy" enough to be annoying. I grew up riding in VERY flat saddles - saddle seat mostly, and my hunt seat saddle for many years was an old-skool Crosby Prix des Nations - and the Stabilizer, for me, infused just enough padding and comfort into what is still a relatively flat, stable saddle.

Truly, I couldn't be happier with mine. County was easy to work with and helpful, and even dealt with my saddle OCD... "OMG WHERE IS IT>?!?! HAS IT LEFT ENGLAND YET?!?!" and so on.

County quality is certainly top-notch, and the leather they use is lovely. I found that with my brand-new Stabilizer, I had next to zero break-in time. I happily showed in it about a week after I got it. Can't go wrong with wool flocking either!! I don't think you will be disappointed.

Have you ridden in it yet?

Comment

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my new Stabilizer XTR, which replaces the pancake flat saddles I have ridden in for the last 35 years. It was a huge decision (for me) to move from something with no padding, rolls, etc. to a more 'cushy' saddle.

After sitting in many demo models, however, I fell in love with the Stablizer models. My rep told me basically what PNWjumper said - that the Stabilizers are more for the hunters and the Innovations are more for the jumpers, with exceptions, of course. I have recently moved to the jumper ring, but found the the Stabilizer XTR put me in the best position overall.

I ordered the bull leather, in the 'Conker' color, with pencil knee blocks and thigh blocks. Should be here in about 3 weeks (there was a slight delay due to the leather options/color I chose). The rep was wonderful to work with and has updated me several times as to the delivery date. Will let you know once the saddle is actually here what the consensus is
        ~*Friend of bar.ka*~

Comment

I demo'd one, totally loved it. Fit my horse well.

But, you absolutely do want to have a County rep out to fit the saddle to your horse - don't just buy one off the rack. Be warned though that not all County reps can fit a paper bag

You really do just need to ride in it. They are beautiful saddles, *I* loved it, but you may totally hate it.

Comment

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

I have a regular Stabilizer, and it's the most comfortable saddle ever. I do the upper level jumper stuff mostly, and find it really locks my leg into place. I ridden in Antares, Devoucoux's, Butet's, CWD's, and over all--love this one the most.

A few clients have Stabilizers and love them as well. Like JB said, you really just need to ride in one to see what you think. Try to see if you can get one on trial before you commit to make sure it's just as comfortable for you as it is for everyone else!!!

Comment

I LOVE my Stabilizer (not an XTR) and finally a saddle that fits my hard to fit TB! I went through many saddles trying to find something that fit him but finally broke down and got a County. I had ridden in a Stabilizer before so I knew that I liked them.

I agree with JB, gotta have a County saddle fitter to help fit the saddle but not all reps know what they are doing.

Comment

I had one, but it made me pinch with my knees like crazy. (It did have "skid row panels", though, so that may have been part of the problem). I sold it and bought a new Antares, and my knee pinching stopped with the first ride.

Comment

Lurve

I loved my Satbilzer (not the XTR). However, it came to me used, and the flaps weren't nearly forward enough for my leg, even with longish stirrups. If I were to order a new sadle, I'd order the Stabilizer with an extra forward flap. Best saddle I've ever had, and fit my horse beautifully.
                  "With mirth and laughter, let old wrinkles come" (Shakespeare).

Comment

Definitely have your fitter look at the saddle if you are buying one used as the trees can vary a bit over the years -- a wide from 2003 may not be the same as a wide made in 2010, or so I have found. I have a Stabilizer (not XTR) that made a huge difference in my horse -- it was like he went from almost lame to sound just by switching to a saddle that actually fit him.

As a side note, how does the XTR differ from the regular Stabilizer? I don't really see anything at County's website that says, and I've been curious.

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post

As a side note, how does the XTR differ from the regular Stabilizer? I don't really see anything at County's website that says, and I've been curious.
                      I have a really, really hard time getting an ANSWER from my local fitter (a sales pitch I get unsolicited any time of the day and night, but a straight answer seems tougher to get) but I believe the XTR has a deeper seat and upgraded leather.
                      ~Veronica
                      "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Originally posted by horsepoor View Post
                        When I bought my Stabilizer (2001 maybe?) the only difference between the regular and XTR models was the leather. The XTR had the thicker, printed leather on the flaps and the regular saddle had the thinner, smooth leather (there was no bull leather option at the time). I don't know if they've changed things since then, but to the best of my knowledge the only difference is the leather.

Comment

My saddle fitter told me that the flat is slightly more forward on the XTR version. I have the xtr and love it!
                          http://www.benchmarksporthorses.com/

Comment

I can tell you that the regular Stabilizer made it a little easier for me to post the trot, but the XTR made it a bit easier to sit the canter. Since I have a push horse, easier canter was going to be the winner over slightly easier posting trot.

So, the seats are a bit different, though I cannot tell you why each of them affected me that way. I do have a slightly long thigh, but no long enough to required a +2 flap or anything.

Comment

check your PMs!

Comment

I got my Stabalizer Xtra in bull leather two weeks ago and I've only rode in it 3 times. I've been treating my horse for Lyme so I haven't been able to ride in it since. I do like the leather but I feel like my saddle is too big for me. Maybe I am not used to it? I am 5ft and always rode in a 16 saddle with a short flap. I ordered a 16 1/2 with a standard flap and now I feel like it is a bit too big for me and there is too much space in the knees.

I do like the saddle and like I said I only rode in it 3 times. The only complaint I have is the saddle rep said they are not allowed to advise you on the saddle flap or seat.

Oh well it fits my horse isn't that what counts the most?

Comment

Originally posted by AHorseSomeDay View Post
                                  The only complaint I have is the saddle rep said they are not allowed to advise you on the saddle flap or seat. It would have been nice to have the person tell me nope this would be too big, etc etc.
                                  WTH? I would be having a SERIOUS discussion with them about that

This is why there are so many unhappy County owners - too many sucky reps!

Saddle fitting is NOT just about the horse. If it doesn't fit you, then most of us mere mortals have a really hard time compensating and struggle with position.

I am so sorry for you they told you that.

Oh well it fits my horse isn't that what counts the most?
                                  Sure, if YOU are able to adapt to the un-fit of the saddle to you

Hopefully it will grow on you and you find you are able to deal with it more than just adequately

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                    WTH? I would be having a SERIOUS discussion with them about that

This is why there are so many unhappy County owners - too many sucky reps!

Saddle fitting is NOT just about the horse. If it doesn't fit you, then most of us mere mortals have a really hard time compensating and struggle with position.

I am so sorry for you they told you that.

Sure, if YOU are able to adapt to the un-fit of the saddle to you

Hopefully it will grow on you and you find you are able to deal with it more than just adequately
                                    I know it wasn't cheap either. I did want to get an Antares originally but there is no saddle rep in the CT area and the person wasn't willing to come. I give up. With my horse having Lyme and being hooked up to an IV twice a day and me being unhappy with my saddle. I feel very discouraged right now.

Comment

Trust me, I feel your pain.

But it DOES get better. Somehow, some way, it does get better

You may be able to help the too much room in the flap issue by adding or moving a knee block, or changing from a smaller one to a larger one.

Comment

Have the Stabilizer XTR and love it. When I was trying saddles, I rode in several and once we put the STabilizer on my horse's back his way of going improved greatly and he relaxed - and that is after having about 9 other saddles on his back that day!

Since that time several others at the barn have bought the same saddle. I think the leather on mine is a bit different than the leather on the newer ones. The stamping seems deeper on the newer saddles.

Two people at the barn have the Innovation. The saddles do not run the same width wise. Our rep said many of the jumper riders prefer the Innovation to the Stabilizer.

I had tried the Antares but all the rep wanted to do was add pads to make the saddle fit. Who wants to ride with 3 pads every ride!

Comment

Working...
                                        X