• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What is "In" in the hunter ring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is "In" in the hunter ring?

I decided to make the switch back after a 5 year hiatus in dressage land and need new tack. I suppose I could pick up a magazine but would like some fashion input from those showing. What colour tack? Wide or narrow nosebands? padded? fancy stiched or plain? Half pads or numnahs? Thanks.

Seeing A LOT of the Charles Owen helmets.. not so many GPA's. Still dark hunt coats.. navy, browns etc. Breeches either Taylor Made grey green or yellow green colors. Some of the boots I have seen have the patent leather tops and toe caps.. I see a bit of bling only on belts - w/ crowns and crystals. No shirt pins. Either plain or monogramed. Shirts are white, yellow, pink, salmon, blue etc.. light colors

Medium to dark colored tack is in. Bridles are not thick but not really thin. Plain rolled is what I have been seeing. Saddles "must" have knee rolls.

Pads are the fuzzy white that trims neatly around the saddle.

In our area this is pretty much the norm. Might depend on where you are.... have fun and good luck....
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Comment

Saddles "must" have knee rolls
      Pencil OK? Padded flaps? or plain flap ok?

Thank God I'm not planning to enter a ring until late summer...
      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

As long as you're neat and clean, and you put in a good trip, you'll get a ribbon

Comment

Originally posted by heartinrye View Post
          As long as you're neat and clean, and you put in a good trip, you'll get a ribbon
          This.

I know fashion and being up to date with what is popular is a fun part of showing for a lot of people. But what really irks me is the rider, dressed to the nines in all the latest, and most expensive get-up who can't.ride.for.anything.

Seriously, invest that fashion money into lessons and training, for you are scary and putting me into early labor.

carry on!
          www.englishivyfarms.com
          Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
          All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Comment

• Original Poster

"Seriously, invest that fashion money into lessons and training, for you are scary and putting me into early labor."

Yeah, I thought about that but asking my coach to jump my horse in my lovely custom Dutch Hulsebos dressage saddle would probably cause her to have a baby and she isn't even pregnant.

I'm not asking to be a massive snob. I just have to start from square on as the only thing hunter I own is a cheap HDR bridle and an orange crosby girth. I was so convinced I wasn't going to jump anymore that I gave away my field boots. How do you think the custom super stiff Konigs are going to do me (please note sacasm)? Are half chaps and paddock boots actually allowed now?

I'm not looking for the most earth shatteringly expensive ideas but when starting from scratch it would be nice not to get stuff that makes you look like a total dork.

Also my mare is extremely hard to fit a saddle to because she is so wide.

Besides... Hunter Princess is a down grade as I used to be a queen! (just kidding)

Comment

I believe and understand that you don't need the 100,000 WB and the CWD saddle and the Charles Owen helmet to win... I know this because growing up, I had the 200.00 Appy and whatever else my parents could afford.. and we still won... A good ride is a good ride.. neat and tidy is the key...

However, the OP asked "whats IN" in the Hunter ring. So I only answered the question; What's in. ;-))
              Live in the sunshine.
              Swim in the sea.
              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Are half chaps and paddock boots actually allowed now?
                Nope.

I'd start with a brown close contact saddle that actually fits your horse. Most people don't like the flat saddles, but I do, and if it's shaped like a close contact it doesn't matter. I'd skip anything shaped like an all purpose, I don't like jumping in mine.

A matching brown bridle. Your preferences are your preferences - whatever flatters your horse. Some people really like the ones with big padding, others don't. My horse shows in a double half round 1970s crosby bridle or a fancy stitched brown bridle with fancy stitched reins. It should match your saddle and NEITHER SHOULD BE ORANGE NO MATTER WHAT. If it is, oil the hell out of it with darkening oil and sit it in the sun until it isn't anymore.

Breeches are typically of a heavier material. I suppose "in" would be tailored sportsmans, ariats, pikeur - any of the better brands, really. Buy what fits, avoid anything too grossly skin colored or too tight. The "heavy cotton" ones are flattering on nobody. Wear a belt.

Shirts and coats are your preference, they change about once a week. Navy and white is always appropriate - always wear a long sleeved show shirt. A used good wool coat is a better investment than a cheap nylon one for the same price. My navy coat was $25 on sale and is wool.

Field boots - the higher tops and tapered ankles are in because they're more flattering to your leg. Skip any boots with any kind of "top" unless you have earned your colors with a recognized hunt, otherwise it is just tacky.

ASTM/SEI approved helmet. We see a lot of Charles Owens and GPAs, but buy what fits your head. Do your hair appropriately.
                ---
                They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie View Post
                  Nope.
                  Well, if you happen to be in Canada, paddock boots and half chaps are allowed so long as they're the same colour.

You're going to need a close contact saddle that fits you and your horse. Knee rolls, thigh blocks etc. are in style but optional, buy whatever is comfortable to you and fits your budget. Nobody can really tell if your saddle is outdated or not once you're in it.

Buy a matching bridle that flatters your horse's face. Padded, raised, fancy stitched, etc. are all in style. Take a look at what is offered by brands like Antares, Edgewood, Hadfields etc. You don't actually have to purchase such an expensive bridle, but it will give you an idea of what people are buying.

All the leather should be somewhere in between havanaish and dark brown. No orange!

For your first basic show outfit I would buy a navy show coat (don't be afraid of good quality used ones) in a brand like Grand Prix, Ariat, Tailored Sportsman, RJ Classics, etc. A white shirt and beigey/greeny breeches in a brand like Ariat, Tailored Sportsman, RJ Classics, etc. Again, you don't have to buy from the pricier brands but it will give you an idea of what's popular.

If you need field boots in the states, Mountain Horse and Grand Prix are both nice brands at a more affordable price.

Have fun!
                  Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                  Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by englishivy View Post
                    But what really irks me is the rider, dressed to the nines in all the latest, and most expensive get-up who can't.ride.for.anything.

So, if they can't ride, they should be outfitted like a cheap trick?

To the OP, have a blast shopping! Others have offered great advice. If you have a good local tack store, go in and throw yourself on the mercy of an expert!
                    Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

What's in? 8 jumps, good front end, prompt lead changes, an even pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Fish View Post

So, if they can't ride, they should be outfitted like a cheap trick?
                        Yes, I think if you are learning to ride/a beginner rider, you should have to wear rubber boots and plastic helmets b/c you don't deserve to look the part. (*sarcasm).

No, I'm talking about the riders that really should invest in their riding first and fashion second. When one spends more money, time, and energy into "looking the part" and not "being the part", it takes away from the spirit of the sport, usually at the horse's expense.

I have no problem with people liking fashion. I have no problem with people wanting to be up to date with trends. What I don't like is seeing horses that are in fake frames, no hind end engagement, stiff backs, no topline, and yanking their knees to their eyeballs while they belly-out o/f. Or riders not giving any release o/f, stirrups too long, bodies disconnected and minds not thinking. All the custom tack and trendy apparel doesn't change any of that.

Forgive me for being snarky, but I'm over it.

OP-go have fun and focus on the ride. Visit your local tack shop and ask them for advice if you really want some new digs. They will know what is really "in" for your area anyway. My point for you is that fashion doesn't make the round; with a good ride, nobody will care what color your jacket is.
                        www.englishivyfarms.com
                        All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by englishivy View Post
                          All the custom tack and trendy apparel doesn't change any of that.
                          You're right, fancy tack and fashion doesn't make you a good rider, but I suspect that those that can afford all of the custom tack and trendy apparel are not in a financial situation that forces them to choose between new fancy tack and lessons.

They might just be more concerned with the tack and fashion than working on what is imparted to them in lessons.
                          Faibel Farms Custom Fly Bonnets
                          Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Echoing whoever said half chaps and paddock boots are ok, there is a specific comment in the EC rules about them having to be leather-like. I think that's so you don't accidentally wear your neon Gore-Tex endurance gaiters. You see half chaps and paddock boots in our "A" rated shows, usually on younger kids or else in the lower Adult Ammy classes.

Different culture maybe, but do the USEF rules say "no half chaps?" I suppose it might also depend on individual show rules.

I also recently got told again that a darker gray or navy coat will never be out of style. Other colours come and go.
                            Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

The USEF rules for hunters specify NO CHAPS. When we called to ask if this meant no half chaps that look like boots, they said those are still considered chaps. I'm sure it's up to the individual judge to notice, but I wouldn't chance being marked down over something that arbitrary.

No, I'm talking about the riders that really should invest in their riding first and fashion second. When one spends more money, time, and energy into "looking the part" and not "being the part", it takes away from the spirit of the sport, usually at the horse's expense.

I have no problem with people liking fashion. I have no problem with people wanting to be up to date with trends. What I don't like is seeing horses that are in fake frames, no hind end engagement, stiff backs, no topline, and yanking their knees to their eyeballs while they belly-out o/f. Or riders not giving any release o/f, stirrups too long, bodies disconnected and minds not thinking. All the custom tack and trendy apparel doesn't change any of that.

Forgive me for being snarky, but I'm over it
                              Honestly? You're being ridiculous.

Wanting to look appropriate is not synonymous with riding like crap. It's also not a statement that a rider is going to fail to take lessons or train properly, in the interest of purchasing expensive breeches and a bling belt. In fact, I think that asking about what is modern and appropriate shows a rider who is doing their homework and making sure they have all their basis covered properly before showing up at a horse show.

Takes away from the spirit of the sport?
                              ---
                              They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rival View Post
                                Besides... Hunter Princess is a down grade as I used to be a queen! (just kidding)
                                Bwahahahah!! Best line ever

Comment

Originally posted by klmck63 View Post
                                  You're right, fancy tack and fashion doesn't make you a good rider, but I suspect that those that can afford all of the custom tack and trendy apparel are not in a financial situation that forces them to choose between new fancy tack and lessons.
                                  Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make but it went over EnglishIvy's head. I didn't read anywhere in the OP's post where he/she indicated that they were sacrificing lessons/training to be a fashion plate.

It's tiresome, sometimes, to have people disparage others who want to spend their money as they see fit. How presumptious to say to the OP that they should spend his/her money on lessons first. Guess what? Some of us have the means to do both.
                                  Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

Originally posted by Trixie View Post
                                    Honestly? You're being ridiculous.

Wanting to look appropriate is not synonymous with riding like crap. It's also not a statement that a rider is going to fail to take lessons or train properly, in the interest of purchasing expensive breeches and a bling belt. In fact, I think that asking about what is modern and appropriate shows a rider who is doing their homework and making sure they have all their basis covered properly before showing up at a horse show.

Takes away from the spirit of the sport?
                                    Ok, read my first post. I'm not talking about looking appropriate; absolutely look appropriate and proper. I'm totally into the tradition of hunters. But asking what is proper is NOT the same as asking what is in style. And being in style is fine too. I'm talking about riders that want to look like $1M bucks but don't want to ride like $1M bucks.

You know, I actually had a (former) client who wouldn't put her horse on Adequan despite the vets, the farrier, and my recommendation. The reason? It was too expensive. But she owned FOUR show coats and about 10 show shirts. The irony: she always dropped the coats when jackets were waived. For her, being "in" was more important than her horse. Hence why she is a former client....

Say what you will, I'm in a foul mood as of late...but hey, being 37 weeks along in the heat will do that to you
                                    www.englishivyfarms.com

Comment

Originally posted by Go Fish View Post
                                      Thank you. That was the point I was trying to make but it went over EnglishIvy's head. I didn't read anywhere in the OP's post where he/she indicated that they were sacrificing lessons/training to be a fashion plate.

It's tiresome, sometimes, to have people disparage others who want to spend their money as they see fit. How presumptious to say to the OP that they should spend his/her money on lessons first. Guess what? Some of us have the means to do both.
                                      No, you misread MY post. I never implied the OP needed more lessons. Just that I enjoy when someone can ride as well as they look fashion wise.

I was saying that she shouldn't worry too much about fashion; a GOOD RIDE IS A GOOD RIDE.

Sheesh people.

ETA-in reading my first post, it may appear to you guys I was saying to the OP specificlly to invest in lessons. My bad. I was talking about those who haven't invested in their riding but have invested in their fashion. THOSE people are scaring me....not the OP.
                                      Last edited by englishivy; May. 29, 2010, 07:42 PM.
                                      www.englishivyfarms.com

Comment

This may be repetitive with what others have said, but what I've seen as being in for hunters: contoured full pads (not half pads), medium to dark brown tack, saddles with padded flaps, charles owen helmets, dark coats with light shirts, field boots with high spanish tops, D ring bits. I've heard black hunt coats are in style, but I still see navy the most. Even the fleecy girths and sheepskin-lined front boots (for eq) that have been popular in recent years seem to be out. Generally, a more traditional, conservative look seems to be back in style in the hunters.

Comment

Working...
                                        X