• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

do you display our ribbons at home?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do you display our ribbons at home?

I'm packing up my childhood room and put all my ribbons in a bag to take to my new condo where I will be living alone (with my doggy and kitty of course!) But it got me to thinking-- when I was young I evented, and those ribbons were gold-- three days of showing and if you were lucky you came home with something. I was very active and successful in CA and have about seven of my top placings and my area IV champion ribbon hung up, but a lot already packed in a closet. Now I show H/J and absolutely love it, but I come home with about 6 ribbons a show (2 classes f/s/s) and not sure I want to display this growing pile! but, the ones from my junior years in the eventing world are pretty important to me and would like to keep them around. In several months I'll be 20, so still young, but have moved out of that horse poster and ribbon plastered wall stage.

So. Here are the questions.

I've lived alone in So Cal before while I was in school, then moved back up north after a semester (it wasn't a long term thing, getting treatment for some health stuff) and didn't have anything but a few horsey photos around the apartment. Now I'm moving into my "big girl" house, and while I love love love these ribbons, at what point to I just pack them away? I don't even know where I'd put them in my new house anyways.

Also, the growing pile of boxes with schooling ribbons and h/j ribbons are taking up space. They're not "high" placing, lots of 4ths and 5ths, and the schooling has a good chunk of 1-3rds, but should I find someone to make a quilt out of these? How do I go about this? Is it possible to do it myself (have a sewing machine)?

I guess it's bittersweet packing up my childhood bedroom.

Do you guys have a place where you keep ribbons up? A room? or are they just packed safely away?

TIA
    Rachel

Ribbons were taking over my house lol. (not horse ribbons, dog show ribbons, agility, obedience and conformation) I decided to make pillows.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/_IGP6158.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/_IGP6160.jpg

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/_IGP6156.jpg

Comment

I actually have mine on a wall in my office at work - I'm a college professor (and MUCH older than you), so it balances the other walls full of bookshelves.

I know this probably doesn't help you a ton, but it is an option. There are also people who make lovely ribbon quilts - search the forum for those posts, too. I may do that for my daughter when she gets older.

Comment

i'm only 18 so i guess i cant say i;m in your shoes, but sort of similar: i'm about about to switch rooms in my house with the guest room (going to a university nearby, so i plan to come home on weekends, so it doesnt seem like a waste to move rooms just as im about to go to college!) and i'm wondering, hm, do i really *want* to take up another wall with ribbons? right now i have an entire wall literalyl covered :/ it collects a lot of dust, and i dont have the time to individually wipe each one down every week or so. i have a lot of allergy problems, so my current room is really just working against me!

my plan for my new room is to hang up my champions/reserves/yr and circuit awards (not a million of those, plus theyre pretty, so it seems reasonable) and some of my "special ones" (first blues, ribbons from big A's that my old pony won after i made him into a hunter from a jumper, etc) so i'm thinking i'm going to try to limit myself to 15 or so ribbons. i may hang a small line just for "most recently won" sort of ribbons, and then when the next show comes i'll take those down and put the new ones up. the other hundred or so i want to wipe down with a rag and store in rubbermaid bins somewhere convenient enough that i can put recent ones in there if theyre "nothing special" i guess. but i know that i'm too nostalgic and when i am older and have a house i will want to put them allover the place (not necessarily cover a wall, but a friend of mine's mom used to ride and she hangs her ribbons around the house, theyre nicely placed so theyre not obnoxious but it's charming. she has a foxhunt/horse themed half-bath, so she hangs her old horse show ribbons at the top of a mirror and at the very top of one of the walls. it's a unique decorative touch.

so perhaps you could find various locations throughout your new home to put a few here and there. i think it's a nice conversation piece.

i may want to turn some into ribbon quilts or pillows when i'm older. i cant think of the names of some makers, but i know theres a ton of threads on here about it, all you have to do is search 'ribbon quilt' on here
        (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Comment

I know how you feel. I'm mid twenties and have three boxes in the top of my closet. I'm VERY nostalgic so I know they're not going anywhere. My office is my " horse place" otherwise my house would be over run!! My husband might also dis-own me...

I keep my pictures in there. I also have two yr end ribbons won by two of my ponies this last year. I plan on making it my little trophy room I just haven't got there yet!

Comment

here's what i do with the most sentimental/important ribbons

i tend to get rid of the rest because you're right, they do stack up! i've heard you can donate them, but not sure how that works.

http://img.skitch.com/20100527-d9y89...jd52t78pb6.jpg

http://img.skitch.com/20100527-te1y5...1m6pg2u428.jpg
            http://img.skitch.com/20100717-q91i7...u2ub8k6b15.jpg

Comment

If they make you happy when you see them, display them. (:

There's plenty of options--quilt, pillows, vases, hanging display. But if you love them and they're meaningful, find a place to put them, even if they're on the inside of a closet door and you're pleasantly surprised by them once a day. My attitude is that whatever memories you want to remember deserve to be put in a place where they'll be remembered often.
              "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

We put ours in glass vases and put them in a display case. This keeps them from fading and they look like colorful candy bowls.

pic

Pic
                Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
                Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
                Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Comment

Find your own logic.

When I sold my broodmare, her inspection ribbons went with her to the new owner.

The horse I bred had his ribbons up at my last apartment that had a fugly wall to be covered. They were all up. Sorted by color. It was like his resume. It doesn't take a stats program to see that he's quite the second place/reserve champion kind of horse. But I love having his whole resume around.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I love my ribbons, and keep them all. I recently moved back home, and am staying in the guest room, so right now all I display are my champion and reserve ribbons and the occasional trophy or plaque. When I get my room back in a few months you bet all of the ribbons are coming out of the boxes and will be hung on the walls! I figure that I worked hard for them and so I want to display them proudly.

Comment

Well unlike most of you, I don't have a lot of ribbons, so all of mine are hung up. (Less than 10)

However, I have been in a lot of ribbon-filled houses. Does that count? Anyways, I'm a fan of the vases. If you get ones with tops, they don't get dusty, fade less, and you can keep whichever ones are important to you. You can either display them all in one area (like a display case) or put them around you house as decorations, bookends, etc.
                      Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

unfortunately ALL my ribbons have been thrown out in a moving disaster....before i could properly display them.
                        i like the quilt and pillow ideas for when i start my new stack.i also had the idea of getting those poster display thingys, to display my best ones and hang them on my wall.
                        http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

ribbons

My DD is still actively showing but... She decided to use her champion ribbons as her curtain on her bedroom window. The ones that were for around the horses neck hang on the ends to provide soem length. The other ribbons she has around her room as a border at the top of her walls. We used thin wire and small nails spaced about a foot apart to hang the border ribbons. The window curtain ribbosn just hang on the curtain rod.

Comment

Procrastination !!!!

Sadly ~ this is still on my "to Do" list ~ after having moved years ago... still packed up !
                            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

i still live with my parents, and my bedroom is very tiny, so i don't have a lot of space for my ribbons!

my one big IHSA regional ribbon is hung on a skinny section of wall in a corner, and i have "important" ribbons hung on my curtain rod. these include all first, second, and third place ribbons from my college days, as well as my one lonely reserve champion ribbon, and ribbons from my most recent forays into jumperland. the rest are packed into shoeboxes and stacked on the top shelf of my closet. maybe one day i'll make a quilt or something.

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Actually - my childhood ribbons except one are all in boxes. Most of the ribbons I have won the last few years are in my barn. I really hang them to inspire my riding students. And the tope edges of the tack room are high and boring looking so I just hang them along there - all colors BECAUSE I want the kids to understand that its more about the accomplishment than the placing - its more of an accomplishment to get a Blue - but if you are on - say a large pony that was bought for $100 that is such a mutt you cant guess the breeding - and beat horses at local A level pony hunters and get a 5th - WOW, you may display that thank you very much and that ribbon is actually probably a better accomplishment than when I won three first places and the high point in dressage at a recogn show at first level when I was actually on a third level horse that I showed at the level because he was coming back from the year before having a major surgury on his stifle. I felt badly actually and HATE looking at those ribbons but I really did not think he could have competed higher than first level with only 5 months back after a year off. I dont even display those ribbons. But whenever I see my student's 5th place - I want to put light around it!

Also, the one ribbon I keep out from my childhood I won in large pony hunters when I was 13 years old at Devon championships and I had a fever of 105 - I got a 6th place. And then I withdrew and went and slept in the camper. I had gone the year before and won nothing. So that first class over fences, I got a 6th out of so many riders and I was sick - and I was happy.

So I guess its a personal thing - what do you feel about your ribbons? If you do not have the space, I would box them up - my daughter LOVES to see all my ribbons and my riding students are in awe and I think its good for students and clients to be in awe (hee hee right?), BUT I do not have enough room for all of them and putting them all over the place is a little tacky.

But having them up in the tack room - the recent ones - I think it brightens up the tack room and inspires them. But for me, I know the ribbons are likely to get dirty etc - but I dnt care really. The ones I put in my room are the very few that were more important because of the memories behind them.

Comment

I'm in my 30's and I have mine hung up Not all of them because there are to many so alot are in boxes in the basement but they good ones are on a rack that they hang on and the 2nd and 3rds that I'm proud of are on a rack in the guest bedroom. I like them and they show how much hard work my horse and I put in to this so I like to keep them out. My daughter has a few (has only done a few shows, shes 9) and has hers in her room hanging with her softball trophies. I do like the vase idea because I'm running out of hanging room. Never thought of that, I'm going to try it.
                                  Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Unfortunately (for display purposes) I have ribbons collected from approx. 18 years of showing, which is A LOT of ribbons. Right now I only have my championships and 1 reserve (zone yr. end award) hanging up as that takes up pretty much 1 wall of my fairly small apartment. The others are stored in big rubbermaid boxes in my parent's attic. One day I'll get around to having a quilt made....one day.
                                    Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                    My equine soulmate
                                    Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Do whatever you want. It should only matter to you.
                                      You know, everybody thinks we found
                                      this broken-down horse and fixed him,
                                      but we didn't. He fixed us. Every one of us.

Comment

sorry, me again!

from reading all the posts it seems like you need to:

1. figure out which ribbons are most important and meaningful to you (won on a particular horse? first place and champions? middle-of-the road ribbons won in really good company?)

2. decide on an attractive way to display those few, whether it be finding wall space to hang them, making a quilt or pillows, or putting them in a vase.

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Working...
                                        X