• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Melanie loves the over-rider with a soft touch." what exactly does that mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Melanie loves the over-rider with a soft touch." what exactly does that mean?

For the uneducated (namely myself).. what is an over rider vs an under rider? Just something that was said during the EAP clinic but I don't really understand what it means. Does anyone know or can anyone explain or give examples of an over rider and an under rider.

thanks....
    The ultimate horse mom

http://www.youtube.com/user/LeeB110

An over-rider does more than the horse needs to get the job done. An under-rider trusts or relies on the horse to do the job without providing as much reinforcement as necessary, or 'being there' to support the horse along the way.

I guess an over-rider with a soft touch would do more than is necessary to ensure the task is performed (whatever it may be), but is soft in how they get it done. A crude analogy, but... a soft over-rider is sitting tall, a little behind the motion, with the leg on, maybe a few clucks at the base of the scary liverpool - a regular over-rider is going to the stick every stride on the approach.

Comment

I rode in the zone seven clinic... and the way I understood this was that she's looking for a rider that's more likely to over-do than underdo.

If a line is long she wants to see you land and move up down the line, and if you get there in a 5&3/4 in a long six she'd much rather see that than someone jump in, knowing it's a long six and get there in a 6&1/4 or even an even 7.

If she says it's short she'd like to see you add an extra. If she says lean back hard, lean back at least 45*, not a hair.

She used that exact phrase in zone seven too.
      friend of bar.ka

Comment

• Original Poster

My daughter just did the eap clinic this last weekend and she used my daughter as an example of an over-rider. I did understand that she wasn't really fond of under-riding (although I didn't really know what she considered under-riding) but wasn't sure if the opposite was true since I didn't exactly understand what an over-rider was.
        The ultimate horse mom

Comment

I'm an over rider.

At worst, it means both micro-managing the horse, making aids all too strong and being willing to go from asking to yelling to punishing very quickly.

I think being a soft version means 1) Continuing to take responsibility for how the horse goes, 2) Having some high standards about purportedly subtle things like the horse's balance and responsiveness to aids, but 3) Always looking for the opportunity to use the physically most subtle aid possible.

In addition (at least for me), it means absolutely leaving the horse alone and praising him when he's doing it right. You can get a tremendous amount of training done by micromanaging a bit and creating a distinct contrast between that and the peace of no requests when the horse is in the right place.

This way, horses learn that they should always be thinking and listening because, sure as God made little green apples, the rider *will* ask for something and want a prompt "yes ma'am" in reply. But they also learn to *look for* those moments of being left alone. Pretty soon, those last longer and longer. The correction's you'll make to the horse's balance, frame and direction will come from your leg, seat and body position. Hand won't do much.

Good times when you have one this broke or when you learn to ride in a way that means you are training the horse each time you go out.

The under rider creates the opposite problem in a horse, and it sucks for both.

He or she may ask for something, but does not insist on it. That means the aids become a form of nagging.

For the rider who doesn't evaluate balance and adjustability until there is a big problem like a fence or a turn, the horse is not given the physical therapy kind of ride that helps him get strong enough to actually do better.

The horse is also not taught that staying in balance always is what the rider after, so he can't figure out a way to earn the softer ride.

At worst, riding from the horse's perspective will look alternately annoying and terrifying.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

She sure does NOT mean over use of the aids-too much hand, leg or body.

She is referring to a rider who errs on the side of producing too much versus one who just sits there. Like overcompensating up a line when you land dead and getting to the out a bit too strong versus just sitting there and adding one for an equally dead out fence. Or, the opposite situation, landing dead and realizing there is no hope and overpackaging to that deliberate add instead of paddling along on a weak step that results in no impulsion to a long and weak distance and the add is the only way to avoid disaster.

One kid she used as an example totally missed on a single oxer and took it down. The next try the kid gunned it and really rocked him back to fire way over and landed with no chance for the corner 4 strides away...and she said "too much...but I loved it. Now find something in the middle and get the corner too". Kid did just that.

So, you need the context of what was happening when she addressed this, not just pull a sentence out of her remarks.

But this was a good question and worth discussion when you start looking at the elite levels of the sport.

BTW, I found MST refreshing and with a different approach then the other major clinicians. Did not always agree but she certainly makes you think about rider choices as you watch these kids work for her.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

My guess is what she means is "if you are going to make a mistake, make it GOING FORWARD"!
              The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Comment

• Original Poster

BTW, I found MST refreshing and with a different approach then the other major clinicians. Did not always agree but she certainly makes you think about rider choices as you watch these kids work for her.

My daughter really liked her and her style of teaching as well. One of the first clinics that she actually enjoyed. And when asked what my daughter thought of MST she said she was nice.. which raised a few eyebrows but my daughter was sincere when she said it.
                The ultimate horse mom

Comment

I think that's kind of a silly mantra to have. For some riders, I certainly would rather have them take the passive ride for the horse's sake, and safety purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthFaceFarm View Post
                    I think that's kind of a silly mantra to have. For some riders, I certainly would rather have them take the passive ride for the horse's sake, and safety purposes.
                    It is not silly when an elite rider is evaluating advanced riders who would like to advance into the International arena. EAP is designed to recognize the exceptional young rider already competent to about 4' and suitably mounted.

The program helps these riders advance and get sharper, faster and more accurate over substantial fences. And MST is not known for the warm fuzzies-she is known for raising the bar for wannabes and turning them into contenders.

Now, for beginners, novices and mainly recreational riders? Yeah, the over ride would be silly and inappropriate. But they are not looking at a 1.4 meter triple combination after open water either-and under riding that will get you in a world of hurt.
                    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I disagree. Riders should be the ones in charge, not the horse. Making a mistake is better than passively sitting there and leaving it up to the horse's good nature to figure things out, because it is part of the learning process. If all the rider knows is how to sit there passively, they are going to be up a creek without the necessary paddle when the horse needs guidance or decides to be a little naughty - and that is a safety issue. Even sainted schoolies can have an off day, get spooked by something unexpected, etc. They aren't machines.

A properly mounted rider who makes a mistake will simply learn from it and do better next time. "Properly mounted" means that rider will be on a horse that can tolerate that mistake without coming undone or punishing the rider for it on the next try.
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I, too, disagree that the rider should be passive. (esp at the upper levels!!) One would HOPE that the person is the smarter one in the partnership and getting tentative or weak heading down to a four foot jump can really cause a wreck. If you believe, then so too, will your horse!

Comment

Apparently she has said this at multiple clinics though, and surely they aren't all elite upper level events. I have seen plenty of people at big clinics that probably shouldn't be trusted to go for the gusto. It can end horribly for horse and rider. I certainly support riders being go-getters when they have the experience to make an educated choice, but I see sooooooooo many people out there that would do better to just stay out of the horse's way until they learn more about appropriate responses. I tell students that I want to see them make a decision, and even if its the wrong one that's better than doing nothing - BUT that's not all riders, and doesn't only exclude "beginners". Definitely more case by case, for me anyway.

Comment

Apparently she has said this at multiple clinics though, and surely they aren't all elite upper level events. I have seen plenty of people at big clinics that probably shouldn't be trusted to go for the gusto. It can end horribly for horse and rider. I certainly support riders being go-getters when they have the experience to make an educated choice, but I see sooooooooo many people out there that would do better to just stay out of the horse's way until they learn more about appropriate responses. I tell students that I want to see them make a decision, and even if its the wrong one that's better than doing nothing - BUT that's not all riders, and doesn't only exclude "beginners". Definitely more case by case, for me anyway.
                            Melanie is one of the principal clinicians for the EAP - the emerging athletes program. It is meant as a scouting/training opportunity to identify riders who may one day become upper level riders. They are all fairly experienced young riders.
                            We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

As you can tell from my post above, I disagree even for the almost beginning rider.

Once the rider and kind of W/T/C and steer, it's time to start talking about the fact that every ride teaches the horse something. If you don't instill the sense of responsibility for how the horse goes and the logic of the "conversation" between horse and rider, I think it bodes ill for the rider and horse.

If all riders were taught that they were trainers, there wouldn't be so many people dependent on trainers and sometimes unhappy with that. There wouldn't be so many trainers with a certain amount of contempt for the clients who never seem to get better. It wouldn't be news to an EAP kid that they needed to get their horse broke in order to be either competitive or safe.

The funny thing is that Parelli et. al. scratch the itch of riders-- well groundlings-- who do want to learn to influence their horses. Were there not this need, those a-holes would be able to rush in to fill it.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I disagree as well. The passive rider can create all sorts of problems, including stopping. A passive rider can ruin a horse faster than an over-rider, IMO.

Someone who makes a decision and rides to that decision is better than a passive rider

Someone who makes a decision, rides to that decision, can see if they made a wrong decision and can change their ride to make it a better decision is the best type of rider.
                                Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

First of all EAP is designed for the upper level junior/young adult jumper riders who are tweeners (between child adult jumper and 1.40m levels). Melanie wants to select those that are tough riders and not recreational riders who want to evolve to the next level. Her famous quote is "Set your horse up for success!" which instills a positive rider.

For example, at the EAP we attended, one rider gave her horse a little growl when it started backing off a 4 foot oxer (over rider) while another rider got to the base of the jump, dropped her eyes and hands (and took a praying positive such as "Please God help me over this jump") and proceeded to twang the horse in the mouth over the jump and land in a heap on the other side....UNDER RIDER.

So I have always understood her to want that positive, I am here to get it done mentality over the "gee I am cute and my mommy bought me the best horse so I will just sit up here and let him do the job, why get involved"

Comment

I guess I'm not making my thoughts clear, since a lot of you seem to be taking them the wrong way. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Feel free to clarify. I certainly don't get what you are saying. In order to be an effective rider, you need to be pro active, the herd leader, if you will. Horses are followers, not leaders, by nature. Any horse that is "allowed" to lead soon becomes unmanageable. I am not discounting a brave, bold horse (good) but it certainly has to be "biddable".
                                      Last edited by Jumphigh83; May. 26, 2010, 02:35 PM. Reason: spelling and typos

Comment

• Original Poster

For example, at the EAP we attended, one rider gave her horse a little growl when it started backing off a 4 foot oxer (over rider) while another rider got to the base of the jump, dropped her eyes and hands (and took a praying positive such as "Please God help me over this jump") and proceeded to twang the horse in the mouth over the jump and land in a heap on the other side....UNDER RIDER.

I think I get it now. I remember a class I once watched - USEF 3'9" Jumper Talent Search. Scariest. class. I. ever. watched. As the girls went around the course you could see who was positively not going to be able to make it through the triple combination long before that combination came up. I had to actually walk away a few times - never saw so much carnage in a 3'9" class before. I'm guessing there was a lot of under-ridering happening in that class if I'm understanding correctly.
                                        The ultimate horse mom

Comment

Working...
                                        X