• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

best place to live in California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best place to live in California

Where is the best ridding area in California? With the warmest winters? I ride ammy hunters and equitation.
    Last edited by Fharoah; May. 24, 2010, 07:00 PM.

I would say pretty much anywhere in California would be great. I used to live in northern California, near Sacramento, and the riding was great up there.

Now I'm in Southern California, in the San Fernando Valley. Here I am close to the Los Angeles Equestrian Center, and central to the Thermal shows, the Oaks, and Santa Barbara which is nice.

Good luck!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

I grew up in Clayton, CA...the foothills of Mt. Diablo (N. CA East Bay). Awesome trail riding..I was one lucky kid! Now I live in N. Virginia and one lucky horsie adult!

Comment

Best place to live? Central Coast. Don't tell anyone though!

Best place to ride? Probably SoCal...you've got the Oaks, Showpark, Thermal, Del Mar, LA within a few hours of each other.
        Equestrianism
        Photography

Comment

Malibu. If it's good enough for Malibu Barbie, why then it's good enough for anyone!!! Bring lots of money though!

Comment

I think CA is horrible, NOT WORTH IT!!! My poor horse has not tasted good grass in three years, and Neither have I!!!!!

lol But if you are ok with heat, Then SoCal would be great! LOTS of horsey people here, Temecula especially!

Comment

I've lived in both SoCal and NorCal and they both have their own issues. I'm currently in NorCal(near Sacramento) and not only has the weather been great lately, but there are no shortage of shows up here either. Obviously there are some super big shows down in the LA area, but Murieta Equestrian and Leone's are gaining strength!

Comment

We're in So Cal... it's very horsey where I'm at. You get a warm fuzzy feeling when you drive to a show or trails or where ever in the weekend mornings and half the other vehicles out there are hauling horse trailers Nobody bats an eye when you pop into the grocery store smelling like a horse or wearing your riding clothes since practically everyone else is too.

Half the people I work with in Construction Mgmt, own and ride horses, which back east I was the only one.

We ride/drive year round.

Comment

I'd say either go for the Bay Area or down in SoCal. In the Bay Area you've got some amazing, top quality H/J/Eq barns and it's close to the big shows like Pebble, Woodside, Murieta, Sonoma, Leone... As others said, SoCal also has its excellent barns & big shows. When you are out 'in the middle' of the state, there are fewer barns and the trailer time out to the shows can be ridiculous.

Comment

La Jolla .... Rancho Santa Fe
                    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

Comment

It depends how much money you have.

Comment

Warmer winters as you go further south and more towards the coast. There is a climate shift north vs south of Point Conception, both with respect to temperature and rainfall.

Hotter summers further south and further inland.

Thus, coastal southern California is the best balance, IMHO, in terms of warmer winters and not too-hot summers. Of course, pretty much everyone else has figured this out, and it's the most expensive place to live.

Lots of shows, both to watch and ride in, in the area defined by LA to the north and San Diego to the south.

We may not have green grass year round, but where else can you pick oranges at the barn and have a roadrunner come and catch your mice?
                        The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

How much $$ are you thinking?

Bay area:
                          • Petaluma/Santa Rosa: lots of barns, easy hauling to Sac for shows, roughly an hour from SF with traffic. The city = expensive, whereas Petaluma is a bit cheaper.
                          • Woodside/Palo Alto: lots of lots of nifty barns (training center), REALLY expensive, close to shows... a bit further from Sac and ~30 minutes south of SF. Closer to Pebble... buuut Pebble working its way up to the Sonoma Horse Park (which is super close to Petaluma, so...)
                          • Sacramento: Very close to big shows (Leone's, Murieta [where the SIHS is]) and lots of different barns to choose from. Living can be either very cheap or very expensive, depends if you're going for city or country (so basically, it's a lot like the deal with the Bay Area, just closer to the primo-showing).

Keep in mind that many NorCal barns ship north during the summer for Oregon (JBarJ's show) and Spruce... though I guess Spruce is a whole 'nother beast in and of itself.

SoCal: I don't know much, as I am a biased NorCal fan

Hope you find a great barn!

ETA: about weather:
                          Petaluma: SUPER windy, sticks around 45º, if it fluctuates, it fluctuates upward.
                          Woodside: Rainy (though most barns have indoors) and not too cold, I would guess around low to mid fifties.
                          Sacramento: Rainy, but just typical NorCal weather, I don't think it snows

I think, as far as weather in the winter goes, SoCal could have us beat... but hey, winter could surely be worse. I hardly think 45º is roughing it

Comment

Exactly! Places like Malibu, Marina Del Rey, the beach/coastal areas....well, they are the most expensive. I've found Burbank to be a nice balance. According to our garden zone, we get both coastal and thermal influence.

It doesn't get as hot here as it does up in Valencia or down towards San Diego, or east towards Riverside, and we rarely have "rain days" at the barn. Within two hours are the LAEC, Santa Barbara, and Oaks shows. I've grown to like Southern CA, but it took a LOT of getting used to coming from the Sacramento area.
                            "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Comment

I live in So Cal and you can't beat the weather. It gets down to 70 and I think it's cold. I have lived here all my life, however, sadly I have seen it change. LOTS of concrete now. The fields I rode through when I was a kid are now commercial buildings...

I have a little slice of horses in my area left, but if I were relocating and staying in So Cal, I would go out to Fallbrook/Temecula area. Lots of good H/J barns and shows not too far away.

If money is not an issue then up to Napa I would go...... or the Montery area (Pebble Beach)... BEAUTIFUL.. a bit windy and cold however (for me anyway) But lots of vinyards and ocean views.....
                              Live in the sunshine.
                              Swim in the sea.
                              Drink the wild air.

Comment

Are you coming here???? We'd love to have you.

I was in Northern California for the first 48 years of my life, the Bay Area to be precise. Woodside is great horse country, but very expensive. Other parts of the Bay Area and the Sacramento area are also great for h/j.

Moved down south nearly seven years ago. Much warmer winters. I'm in Ojai, about 75 minutes north of LA, closer to Santa Barbara if you looked on a map. This part of the coast doesn't have a huge h/j world until you head closer to LA so I can't recommend it (apart from Santa Barbara, which does have a few good trainers).

The further south you go, the more options you have. It'll be quite different from your neck of the woods! We have better vets down here than you do, however!
                                R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Comment

definitely head south for warmer winters, just like a bird Central coast is awesome (Santa Barbara, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo), if you don't mind traffic up the wazoo go further south to the LA area like others have suggested.

I live in Sacramento proper, summers are hot (probably a total of about 10-12 days of triple digits), winters are fairly mild (we did get a lot of rain this year, I think the coldest it got was in the 20's). There is a ton of horse stuff in the area, I live about 15 minutes away from Murieta and Leones, my barn is probably about 20 minutes away. And housing prices right now are insane here. Traffic is fine, and Sacramento is definitely moving up in terms of restaurants and things to do. Plus, only 1.5 hours away from SF and Lake Tahoe in different directions. Pitch over

Comment

I lived in Westlake Village, CA during my junior years and early ammy years. Loved it and still miss my time there.

When I lived in Westlake there was only one place to ride, Foxfield, now there are more stables in the area. I have ridden at stables from the west coast to the east coast and have not found one better, in any catagory, than Foxfield.
                                    http://STA551.com
                                    845-363-1875

Comment

Originally posted by *jumper* View Post
                                      Best place to live? Central Coast. Don't tell anyone though!
                                      Nonsense. The Central Coast is awful! I can't imagine why anyone would ever want to live there.

edited to add: it's probably not a great place for a hunter rider, even though it's lovely. It's mostly eventing around here with a bit of H/J sprinkled in.
                                      Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
                                      Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Comment

SoCal- Orange County! Lots of shows, a wide variety of boarding to meet anyone's needs, and you still can spot malibu barbie in the Ferrari next to you as you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway!

Comment

Working...
                                        X