• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tackoholics-- Die like Elvis but post here first

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tackoholics-- Die like Elvis but post here first

Elvis Presley, who expired on the crapper as a result of too many drugs, too mixed for too long, inspires this thread for us tack junkies.

Post your tack of choice-- the beautiful, the heinous-- the stuff you just can't put down and enjoy in any form, the stuff you wish you could kick to the curb. Pics are even better.

I'll start with a poor picture, but a great piece of tack: http://s800.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=IMG_0466.jpg

A rare newmarket lead. Edgewood, 1 inch wide, square raised in the front section, double chains for attaching to a bit. Bought in the late 1990s in NorCal and I have never seen another one like it.

I can't see where I'll ever use it since I don't plan to breed baby horses to show in hand, or kids to show leadline. But it was and is too beautiful not to own. The ladies dressed to the nines for leadline at Devon (forchrissakes) can't complete the picture without one of these.

Yours?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

mvp, you *knew* I'd play!

Nice shank, btw.

My favorite is actually a raised, padded version but that one's at the barn (I do actually use it from time to time, LOL.)

This one is the second place finisher. It's a nice havana shank that is braided to resemble the old school braided style reins (which I much prefer to the laced variety that is so common now.)
    Attached Files
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

I never knew leadshanks could be so pretty. Unfortunately I don't have anything especially different to post but you have both made me decide I need to add a leather shank to my tack collection. I always use my Antares, which I love.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
        mvp, you *knew* I'd play!

Nice shank, btw.

My favorite is actually a raised, padded version but that one's at the barn (I do actually use it from time to time, LOL.)

This one is the second place finisher. It's a nice havana shank that is braided to resemble the old school braided style reins (which I much prefer to the laced variety that is so common now.)
        OMG! That is beautiful!!!

It was very considerate of you to embed the picture - since I can't view most of the photo links from work

Comment

*Snork* I have not one but two chifney leads (they are semi useful for HB horses, but they are to die for if you are taking a jumper to the ring and have reins+running and can't easily pull the reins over the head). My current fave is this beautiful creature:

http://www.tackshackocala.com/colesh.html

That shank leather is like glove leather, and I use that shank all the time when I pony my 3 year old.

For sheer practical things, I love my yoke. Perfect for chest plate drawreins, but even more useful when I started the aforementioned 3 year old. I'm not a fan of standings for anything other than dress at show, but a nice neck strap goes a long way the first time that 3 year old decides to buck! Or that was the plan... Sadly it didn't work to plan (it never does) but he was only good for one session and he was done. LOL everyone else is SMRT enough to send their youngsters off to a trainer, but I just had to do it myself. Oh well, sense of pride and accomplishment and all that... it comes with Bruised Ass.
          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

There was a (brief) period of time when I was trying to give up purchasing bridles and needed another, er, outlet... and I found pretty lead shanks nearly as gratifying. As well as easier to store, LOL. I have run out of room on my bridle rack.

I wish I had taken a photo of the one I got as a Christmas gift for my former groom. It was a raised, fancy stitched jumper shank and I had his name "engraved" on a leather "plate" instead of the usual brass. It was really unusual and he loved it.
            -PaulaEdwina

Comment

A real tack junkie thread? Junkie as in you have it or covet it just because of how it looks? I have to nominate my trainer's old fine harness. No pics, sorry, but back in the day it was a lovely thing and it still has intricate stitching and these complicated shield designs embossed on it at connection points. Really nice bridle leather, not that patent stuff, so it probably wasn't fancy enough for the job, but I love just looking at it/handling it/breathing it in.
              Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
              Incredible Invisible

Comment

Do clothes count? I have a beautiful collection of wool coolers - no pictures but they are gorgeous....

My personal favorite for schooling day or a lesson day is the navy blue and black Glen plaid with navy binding and a soft yellow piping - yellow mono to match

Our show day cooler is an amazing navy blue wool with a really cool weave, with navy binding, lt blue and lt grey piping - lt blue mono to match

Then there is the heavyweight melton in black with black binding and lt grey and lt blue piping - two color mono in grey and blue

Then the everyday home cooler - light grey with navy binding and lt blue piping - mono in lt blue

and the other at home cooler - a rust and light yellow Eskadron

Comment

Originally posted by DMK View Post
                  http://www.tackshackocala.com/colesh.html

That shank leather is like glove leather, and I use that shank all the time when I pony my 3 year old.
                  Oh you did NOT just link me to that. I have never seen anything like that before and I MUST HAVE IT!!!! (Maybe 2.)

My guy unfortunately learned at age 3 that he if got a step ahead of me when I am leading him with a normal lead rope, he could take off. I started leading him with a chain over his nose and to this day (age 11) he'll still do it to me if I try to lead him with a normal lead rope (I think he sees me thinking about it in my mind). AND he only does it to me. The barn staff leads him with no problem without a chain. Me - he gets this glint in his eye and off to the races!! So chain over the nose it is, but I always wrap it so it won't cut in. But THIS...I LOVE THIS. The covered chain is a great idea!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ponymom64 View Post
                    Do clothes count? I have a beautiful collection of wool coolers - no pictures but they are gorgeous....

My personal favorite for schooling day or a lesson day is the navy blue and black Glen plaid with navy binding and a soft yellow piping - yellow mono to match

Our show day cooler is an amazing navy blue wool with a really cool weave, with navy binding, lt blue and lt grey piping - lt blue mono to match

Then there is the heavyweight melton in black with black binding and lt grey and lt blue piping - two color mono in grey and blue

Then the everyday home cooler - light grey with navy binding and lt blue piping - mono in lt blue

and the other at home cooler - a rust and light yellow Eskadron
                    I am happy to vouch for your cooler collection - they are lovely!!!!
                    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

This is another favorite, although I don't currently have a jumper to put it on. (I envision it looking fab on a mahogany bay with lots of white.)

The only rub is with something this blinged out, you would definitely have to ride like a rockstar or risk being the subject of some serious snickering.
                      Attached Files
                      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

This is another favorite, although I don't currently have a jumper to put it on. (I envision it looking fab on a mahogany bay with lots of white.)

The only rub is with something this blinged out, you would definitely have to ride like a rockstar or risk being the subject of some serious snickering.
                        Definitely requires a rockstar ride but gojus nonetheless....

Is the mahogany bay you picture it on the one that just came into the barn?

Comment

Definitely requires a rockstar ride but gojus nonetheless....

Is the mahogany bay you picture it on the one that just came into the barn?
                          Stop!! He is spoken for!!!!

<I do not have time to ride another horse. I do not have time to ride another horse. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO RIDE ANOTHER HORSE.>

It would look great on him, though. LOL.
                          -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Stop!! He is spoken for!!!!

<I do not have time to ride another horse. I do not have time to ride another horse. I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO RIDE ANOTHER HORSE.>

It would look great on him, though. LOL.
                            I think you are protesting too much, and that soon you are going to add another horse to the family. You really do need another, if only to put to use all those bridles you own. I like the clincher bridle, is that ADT?

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                              I think you are protesting too much, and that soon you are going to add another horse to the family. You really do need another, if only to put to use all those bridles you own. I like the clincher bridle, is that ADT?
                              If Lucassb got a jumper - I *know* of someone who would LOVE to help with the riding, since LB, is of course too busy to commit to an additional everyday ride

Comment

Originally posted by BAC View Post
                                Thanks! I liked it too - it's a bit unusual, you know what a sucker I am for stuff like that. And the leather is fab. It's a T de T bridle, but I have CWD reins on it.

If Lucassb got a jumper - I *know* of someone who would LOVE to help with the riding, since LB, is of course too busy to commit to an additional everyday ride
                                Oh boy, talk about ENABLING. You guys are worse than Mr. Lucassb.

To be perfectly honest, I would buy that horse in a heartbeat, BUT he is spoken for. So, not available <sob>
                                -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Oh boy, talk about ENABLING. You guys are worse than Mr. Lucassb.

To be perfectly honest, I would buy that horse in a heartbeat, BUT he is spoken for. So, not available <sob>
                                  We do what we can

Comment

• Original Poster

Slow down!

I can't catch up-- but it's nice to try.

On shanks:

Lucassb-- is that a Quillen's creation? I thought about adding a braided shank to my collection, but I tried to justify *not* buying one of those for fear it would stretch in battle conditions. Not that it looks like you have used this one, but do you think so?

I'll reveal others in my collection, and other nice storage techniques in time. But I'm certainly guilty of owning unused tack.

DMK--The leather covered chain shank looks awesome, too. Nice price as well. Do you think it would be a PITA to feed through halter rings? And what happens when you wear through the leather on said halter rings? Does the leather defeat the purpose of the chain?

I don't mean to diss your choice. Just looking for reasons not to buy. We "I really need a reason to quit" addicts will cling to just about anything.

I wish I had a picture of the handmade rolled shank I gave to someone else as a present. From Luckett's ? Tack behind the backgate at Churchill Downs. When I travel, I put tack stores on my "must visit" list the way other people visit museums and monuments. It's a sickness.

I'm sure we'll get plenty of bridles on this thread. Lucassb has set the bar pretty high to start.

Yes, you can add clothing, but you must add pics. It's too much work to imagine the colors when you are jonesing, ponymom.

And what up with buying different colors? Once I had a full wardrobe in barn colors, I swear to God, I thought about changing my color scheme just so I could start over. It would cost thousands.

Don't even get me started with chaps. But please show me your blingy ones. I think DMK can comply. Wait 'til you see those. You have no idea.

But the other part of this mix-n-match thread is about tack you hate or, as DMK posted, tack you like because of it's function.

More, more!
                                    The armchair saddler
                                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I have a beautiful older Jimmy's figure 8 fancy stitched bridle that he made by hand for my jumper. The leather is so soft and the stitching is beautiful. It has his old fancy stitch pattern. I will post a picture of it when I can. I use it everyday and the quality is great. Jimmy's older bridles were works of art IMO

Comment

Love my RGI custom waffle weave sheet... which fits none of my horses and given my propensity for buying big horses-- may never fit anyone again. It's hard to see but it has double piping in dove gray and lilac...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...rningShane.jpg

And while we're on a purple and gray theme... I have never met a hunt coat I like more than this badboy... gets compliments EVERYWHERE I go. I even have the coat for sale and I am puzzled that no one is snatching it up, it's the prettiest coat...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y19...t=DSC_0153.jpg
                                        ~Veronica
                                        "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
                                        http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Working...
                                        X