• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

saddle shopping "bait and switch?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saddle shopping "bait and switch?"

I have always ridden in Stubben saddles. Probably because my original dressage instructor was taught by Germans and loved Stubbens. I bought Stubben saddles for my young daughters when they joined Pony Club, and I even have one that I use for endurance riding.

If you go to the Stubben home page and click on "Custom Fitting" they will take your info and have a rep contact you. She drives to your place for a $100 fee and custom fits you and your horse.

Recently the rep came to my barn to fit my high-withered horse for a jumping saddle. I wanted the Biomex seat. She fitted us with a saddle that had only 1 finger wither clearance. The flaps seemed too short for my femur. It did not have the Biomex seat. The rep assured me that the flaps fit correctly, that the pommel was designed to not further compress on the withers, and that the soft cushy seat was equivalent to a Biomex seat for $400 less. She further assured me that if I rode in the saddle for a week and still wanted the custom with Biomex that I could return it and she would happily order me a custom saddle.

The next weekend, I used the saddle for a X-country jumping clinic which was to be followed the next day by an all-day Derby. As I was flying over my 1st jump, my instructor asked me why I was riding in such an ill-fitting saddle. She informed me that my knees were way in front of the knee rolls of the too-short flaps, and that the pommel was pressing down on my poor horse's withers. I had to skip the Derby the next day for fear of hurting my horse. I forfeited my fee of $135. I immediately sent the saddle back with a letter saying I needed to order a custom saddle.

Guess what? The rep refused to accept the saddle from the UPS guy! When I called to ask why, she told her assistant to tell me that she "was out of town, no, with a customer". They had quite a discussion about what reason to use for not accepting the saddle. I heard every word, as one of our phones was acting as a microphone. I could sense that her assistant was upset about having to lie for her employer. Something weird was going on!

I thought maybe she was having financial troubles and called Stubben directly to see if she still worked for them. The man said he would check into it but there are "two sides to every story". Well, her side came in an email saying that she had lost my phone number and that I had screamed at her assistant and made her cry.
    (I was very careful to speak in a calm voice and certainly never screamed.)

I am wondering if reps buy the saddles from Stubben and must sell them to re-coup their investment. That would explain why she was so keen to sell me a saddle from the back of her truck. A custom-ordered saddle would have been much more expensive, but I was willing to pay for one that fit properly. Maybe she would not have made much profit on my custom order?

I canceled the visa charge for the saddle (always pay with a credit card!) and now don't know what to do with it. In the meantime, I am missing all my fun events 'cause I don't have a proper jumping saddle. I feel very stupid to have been so naive and for not listening to the little voice that was telling me, "THIS SADDLE DOES NOT FIT YOUR HORSE!".

I needed a new dressage saddle too, and was afraid to buy the Stubben I wanted. I just got a CWD cause the rep was at my instructor's barn with a saddle that fit my horse and me really well, so I forked out the $4250. I have been riding in it for about 6 weeks and I love it; keeps my legs where they should be. CWD makes jumping saddles too, but I'm worried about having so much invested with a company I don't really know much about, or whether they would be reliable if I needed repairs, service, etc...

Just writing this to let others know that used car salesmen are not the only ones to practice "Bait and Switch" as a sales ploy...

Well, can't help with the Stubben rep but I think you'd be happy with the CWD. Several riders in my barn have them and they are quite nice. The local rep has been a dream to work with. I rode in one a while back and would have one in a heartbeat if I needed a new saddle.

I ride hunters, so take that with a grain of salt!

Comment

Wow.
      Call Stubben directly. They recently helped me with a difficult to fit horse and they were fantastic.
      The fitter was super helpful and between her and the folks at Stubben, they got me a web saddle deal at a greatly reduced price.
      I am shocked to hear of what happened to you.
      www.paradisefarmmiami.com

Comment

Call Steuben in Germany directly, I have heard similar stories about their USA operation and it seems that their are some problems going on and Stueben In Germany should know about it.

Comment

Stubben is made in Switzerland.

The Stubben North America phone number is 1-800-550-1110. I have found the North American ownership to be professional, courteous and very helpful. That Rep you dealt with should be reported to them.
          www.paradisefarmmiami.com

Comment

I don't know what's going on with Stubben, they have always been a reputable company, I can't imagine they would condone their reps treatment of you.

I have a CWD for almost 5 years now and am thrilled both with the saddle and the excellent customer service I have received. I also have a CWD bridle. Even better, we have Amandine right here on COTH bulletin board (posting as Miloutte55 I think), who manages their US office, and she is always ready to help.

Comment

You could have made better choices

As usual, there is always another side to THIS story. I am that awful Stubben Rep you have had to deal with, but in all fairness some clarification is necessary. First, I am not a Rep for Stubben -I have been trained by them to be an exclusive Stubben dealer, but I am an independent. I do not work out of my truck (you know this), I own 2 brick and mortar stores, and have for the past 6 years. YOU know me as I have properly fitted the 2 Stubben saddles you have purchased previously (and love, still). I have NEVER charged you a fitting fee; you called me directly to book your fitting appointment, not Stubben; and finally- probably THE most important thing, is that you never even gave me the courtesy of picking up the phone or sending me an email telling me you had some concerns with your saddle. If you had, I would have been more than happy to work with you on finding the perfect saddle. I do not know of any company who will accept unauthorized returns, it is simply our policy and this is also posted on our website. Your shipment was returned because it was unauthorized, plain and simple. When you called in I was in a meeting with a customer and asked for a message to be taken, nothing more. You DID make my associate cry with your screaming, and when you called back you hung up on my partner who was asking you to leave your phone number so I could call you back. I sent you an email the next day because I did not have your phone number, but you never responded to this. You did reverse your cc charges, but they have since been credited back to us- you have the merchandise still, remember. I pride myself on providing excellent customer service but I need to be given the opportunity, which in this case I was not. However you feel about myself and my retail stores, Stubben is my supplier, not my employer. They are a fantastic, reputable company and not deserving of your unwarranted, slanderous acquisations. I truly wish you the best, it is unfortunate you chose this path.

Comment

We are getting instant gratification with regard to hearing the other person's side lately. Suddenly I don't even have time to blend my margarita before the villain from the OP pops up on the thread!

Comment

That story is great, etc but it still doesn't explain why she thought a saddle that clearly didn't fit according to the OP was a good fit.

Nowhere was it addressed that this professionally fitted saddle (supposedly) didn't fit the horse at all.

Well, two sides to every story, and the truth is somewhere in between...
                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Why didn't the OP call the seller and tell her she was sending it back to make sure she was still within the one week trial period. Were there any UPS fees payable by the receiver of the pkg?

Very oddly handled by both parties by the sounds of it.

Comment

How do you not have a phone number for someone to whom you have sold three custom-fitted saddles?

And speaking of two sides, no one can be made to cry without her consent. I don't care if the customer made your assistant cry, nor should anyone else. Perhaps the assistant needs to toughen up as well? It's just business, after all. How do you confuse "out of town" with "with a customer?"

It does sound like the OP dropped the ball a bit. If she has a CWD in her hands, the refused return on the Stubben is old news. As much as a company Fs up, you can't just reverse charges and sit there with the saddle in your living room doing nothing.

I'm not surprised that Stubben refused to accept shipment from a customer who had been sold a saddle by an independent retailer. It needs to go back to the retailer, not the manufacturer.

But I do know companies who make you go through the whole authorization thing and the smaller ones who don't. I try not to deal with the ones who make me jump through hoops. But to be quoted policy when I am unhappy? You may win the argument, having print and logic on your side, but you don't win customer satisfaction this way.
                      Last edited by mvp; May. 22, 2010, 08:06 AM.
                      The armchair saddler
                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Someone pass the popcorn!
                        A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Ok, jumper mom.. if you don't like the drama, why are you reading and posting to this subject.

First off "bait and switch"...who is doing the baiting and who is doing the switching. Wow, I think its wonderful that the dealer gave you ample enough time to try this saddle out. Are you sure you put it on and rode the horse it was fitted to. And sending something back with not even contacting the dealer --- that seems a little sleezy. Who was trying to pull what. I have purchased 100's of saddles and the ONLY company that ever stood behind their work was STUBBEN. AND YES... STUBBEN USA. Get a life people, especially the buyer of this problem... take the sleeze of of your buying and returning habits, and also "that lying thing" and deal with people how you would like to be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by NutsR4Gerbils View Post
                            Ok, jumper mom.. if you don't like the drama, why are you reading and posting to this subject.

First off "bait and switch"...who is doing the baiting and who is doing the switching. Wow, I think its wonderful that the dealer gave you ample enough time to try this saddle out. Are you sure you put it on and rode the horse it was fitted to. And sending something back with not even contacting the dealer --- that seems a little sleezy. Who was trying to pull what. I have purchased 100's of saddles and the ONLY company that ever stood behind their work was STUBBEN. AND YES... STUBBEN USA. Get a life people, especially the buyer of this problem... take the sleeze of of your buying and returning habits, and also "that lying thing" and deal with people how you would like to be dealt with.
                            That is an oddly rambling and almost incoherent post. Sounds like Nuts fits into the middle or the fringes of the story some how. I just can't figure it out quite yet. Crying assistant? Business partner? Best friend?

It's too early for a real drink. Off to put together some iced tea.
                            "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post
                              That is an oddly rambling and almost incoherent post. Sounds like Nuts fits into the middle or the fringes of the story some how. I just can't figure it out quite yet. Crying assistant? Business partner? Best friend?

It's too early for a real drink. Off to put together some iced tea.
                              Completely agreed !!!
                              It is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

The CWD is her dressage saddle she got the stubben for a jumping saddle if I read correctly. I have heard of people being sold on a saddle they weren't sure quite fit because the "fitter" said it would work just fine, and then when the fitter is told later it actually didn't fit at all the fitter claims the buyer wanted that saddle and only that saddle. Stuff like that makes my head hurt.

Anyways hope this works out!
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

I think we have all seen this movie before. Way too much money going around here, not enough buyer skepticism about someone hustling saddles/tack/etc. in a down economy/unreasonable expectations on the part of the buyer--she took the saddle on the spot when she had bad feelings about it right away--and the seller sounds like she is looking to dodge out of any responsibility. Thank goodness for being able to stop those credit card charges, and if the rep doesn't want the saddle back, then her loss.

Sounds like Stubben should check this rep out a bit more thoroughly--this thread give the company a bad rap.

When you are in the sales/service business, the customer is always right--even when they are wrong.
                                  Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Comment

I don't think it can be a "bait and switch" if nobody switched. Or, really, baited. You bought a bad saddle that didn't fit your horse. That sucks.

Apart from that, I have LOLs all around.

Comment

• Original Poster

saddle shopping "bait and switch"

On May 21, 2010, Charlee wrote:

"I did not have your phone number,"

False - My phone history lists numerous phone calls between the rep and myself over a 7 month period, many are recorded voice mails. My computer lists 27 emails from the Stubben rep to myself between 9-14-09 and 4-21-10 and 19 emails from me to her; most include my phone number.

"I have NEVER charged you a fitting fee;"

False - Several of the emails and one voice mail explains the fitting fee. Even though she schedules clients in clusters and around shows/expos, she still charges the fee based on her store location. I thought this was normal and reasonable. I have receipts and email records:

Subject: Re: saddle purchase-oregon
                                      Date: September 22, 2009 9:26:35 PM PDT
                                      To: kawagner1@mac.com

Hi Kelly -
                                      I really look forward to seeing you Thursday morning - I wanted to make sure you knew that I now charge a fitting fee - gas is just too expensive for me not to do so. Your fitting is 200 miles round trip from where I will be so I do need to charge a $100.00 fitting fee - I hope you understand. If there is a problem with this please call me at XXX XXX XXXX as I am leaving tomorrow morning.

See you soon,
                                      Heather

Subject: Re: saddle fitting
                                      Date: December 20, 2009 1:23:50 PM PST
                                      To: kawagner1@mac.com

Hi Kelly -
                                      I don't have any current plans to go down, but would be more than happy to make a trip for you - I would just need to impose a fitting fee to cover my expenses down there, but it would be minimal ($150.00) - I can work you in between Xmas and the New Yar, or the first week of January, or I will be back down in March for the NW Horse Expo (February is shot with our trip to Scottsdale and the rest of January is booked with out of town travel).

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday and hope to hear from you soon!

Heather

"you called me directly to book your fitting appointment, not Stubben;"

False - When I need a fitting, I click on "request a custom fitting" on the Stubben site:

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...omFitting.html

enter my info, and the rep emails or calls me. If I do not hear from her, then I call Stubben to order a saddle directly. There is a specific amount of time to try it, then I must ship it back or be permanently charged.

On Dec 28, 2009, at 10:58 AM, Heather Carder wrote:

Hi Kelly -
                                      I'm sorry to bother you, but I am keenly interested in how Stubben took care of everything for you. I not only work with Stubben but for them in the NW and they always keep me in the loop, but they don't have any record of helping you recently - can you please better explain how they have assisted you so I can stay in the loop?

I really appreciate it

Heather

----- Original Message -----
                                      To: "Heather Carder" <hcarder@comcast.net>
                                      Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 2:55 PM
                                      Subject: Re: saddle fitting

Hi Heather - I wrote to you on Nov. 28th about getting a Maestoso but never heard back; I thought maybe you were on vacation. On Dec. 17th I emailed VTO to try and order one. The owner advised me to demo one first, as it is a very expensive saddle and the deep seat feels different. I called Stubben and they sent me a demo Maestoso which I returned a week ago. I did tell Stubben that I had contacted you first, as you helped me with both my Scandica and Scout, which worked out perfectly. Hope that helps! Kelly

"I do not work out of my truck (you know this)"

False - she has always brought a truck filled with saddles which I have helped load and unload.

Well I could provide more evidence to dispute several other statements, but that is probably enough entertainment for at least ONE margarita. I did ship the saddle back to the rep well within the allowed time frame. I simply requested a longer flap, biomex seat, and higher wither clearance. Yes, the saddle is still in the shipping box in my living room (addressed to exactly where the rep told me to send it). It is a lovely saddle and I so wish I could use it. The 1st instructor who told me it does not fit either me or my horse is an eventing clinician and is well-known so I will keep her name out of this dispute. I did take the saddle to a hunter/jumper barn last week to show to the instructor. We never even put it on the horse as she took one look and said, "I can't believe she sold you such a short flap for your femur length!"

The ladies there all highly recommended CWD for excellent fitting and service. I am so happy with my CWD dressage saddle, I will just go ahead and order a CWD jumping saddle. In the meantime I am going to ride the local Memorial Day foxhunt in my endurance saddle.

Looks like we are headed to court on this one. (I wonder, will I need to haul my horse, wearing the ill-fitting saddle, to the courthouse for evidence?) What would Judge Judy say??

Live and learn and gotta just keep laughing!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Mom View Post
                                        Someone pass the popcorn!
                                        I think we should have beer and pretzels instead.

Comment

Working...
                                        X