Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Why so few people wearing protective vests in the jumpers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #41
    As someone who jumps pretty much only on the hunt field, I didn't wear a safety vest for the first 50 years I hunted. Then I fell and cracked ribs. For six weeks it HURT to do,well, just about anything. The only advice the MD had for me was "don't do it again." --my kids were all 3-day riders (one still is). I always made sure they wore vests when doing o/f. I admit at first I was MORTIFIED that the vest added vastness to my silhouette.

    My entire life I've taken pride in my slender turn out --that I looked like a potato was not a look I wanted. BUT --I sew --so I altered my hunt attire to fit neatly and properly over my vest. You might ask why I didn't wear my vest over my hunt clothes instead of under --the view. We fox hunters love tradition -- a vest over a coat, stock tie, vest would not be traditional turn out --and I'd need two. I also ride in the summer with my vest on --one big enough to fit over my attire would be too big to wear over a T shirt. Once I had all my clothes correctly tailored --I saw pictures of myself --I look ok --no one can tell I'm wearing a safety vest.

    So I'm guessing jump riders don't wear a vest because they don't see a need. Once they've cracked a rib or two falling on a jump, then tried to do all the house work and farm work with painful rib bones --they may change their minds. I did.

    Comment


      #42
      Sandy Ferrel wears a vest in the hunters after suffering an injury. If someone who rides as well as she does can, so can I. 😉

      Comment


        #43
        I’m seriously thinking about getting a vest. Would love some recommendations. Currently an AA rider, hoping to do the AOs someday!

        Comment


          #44
          Originally posted by Foxglove View Post
          As someone who jumps pretty much only on the hunt field, I didn't wear a safety vest for the first 50 years I hunted. Then I fell and cracked ribs. For six weeks it HURT to do,well, just about anything. The only advice the MD had for me was "don't do it again." --my kids were all 3-day riders (one still is). I always made sure they wore vests when doing o/f. I admit at first I was MORTIFIED that the vest added vastness to my silhouette.

          My entire life I've taken pride in my slender turn out --that I looked like a potato was not a look I wanted. BUT --I sew --so I altered my hunt attire to fit neatly and properly over my vest. You might ask why I didn't wear my vest over my hunt clothes instead of under --the view. We fox hunters love tradition -- a vest over a coat, stock tie, vest would not be traditional turn out --and I'd need two. I also ride in the summer with my vest on --one big enough to fit over my attire would be too big to wear over a T shirt. Once I had all my clothes correctly tailored --I saw pictures of myself --I look ok --no one can tell I'm wearing a safety vest.

          So I'm guessing jump riders don't wear a vest because they don't see a need. Once they've cracked a rib or two falling on a jump, then tried to do all the house work and farm work with painful rib bones --they may change their minds. I did.
          What kind of vest and jacket do you have?

          Comment


            #45
            Originally posted by Hoofbeat_Heartbeat View Post
            I’m seriously thinking about getting a vest. Would love some recommendations. Currently an AA rider, hoping to do the AOs someday!
            I have a Charles Owen JL9 vest that I'm really happy with. It's a gel/foam combination. It's fitted so it's more flattering as far as vests go. You'll get warm underneath it but it's not unbearable. I've evented with it when it's 95 degrees out and humid and I was fine. You can also get custom measurements, like if you're slim but very tall, an off-the-rack small will fit your rib cage width but won't be long enough for your torso. I *think* the custom ones are the same price as the off-the-rack ones, at least they were at Dover when I bought mine in 2013.

            I've also used the Charles Owen Kontact vest and really liked it as well.

            I did not like the Airowear vests. I'm 5'2", 125 lbs, A-cup....but they were too snug in the chest region for me, which was wild because it's not like I had much in that area to begin with? They were well made otherwise, just didn't fit me at all.

            Comment


              #46
              Originally posted by clm08 View Post
              Not many event riders wear the vest in SJ, but I have seen a few wearing them over their jackets.

              As an eventer, I was shocked to see a GP rider warming up his horse over fences without a helmet!!! Not a USEF sanctioned event, but I thought it was nuts!
              I'm with you - I don't understand that type of thing.

              "All life is precious"
              Sophie Scholl

              Comment


                #47
                I would also argue that cost, at least for the air vests, is a huge barrier to entry. I know there is the whole "you can't put a price on safety" and I normally agree with that - but when the starting price of some air vests is around $800-900 AND needs to be replaced after a single use (admittedly I don't know what the cost of replacement canisters etc. are - hoping it's lower than the initial cost), this places vests like these out of the price point for many people. Hopefully the technology will be improved to a point where they can still offer the safety but be available at a lower price point for those of us who are interested in using them but cannot currently afford to.

                Comment


                  #48
                  Originally posted by adultammylife View Post
                  I would also argue that cost, at least for the air vests, is a huge barrier to entry. I know there is the whole "you can't put a price on safety" and I normally agree with that - but when the starting price of some air vests is around $800-900 AND needs to be replaced after a single use (admittedly I don't know what the cost of replacement canisters etc. are - hoping it's lower than the initial cost), this places vests like these out of the price point for many people. Hopefully the technology will be improved to a point where they can still offer the safety but be available at a lower price point for those of us who are interested in using them but cannot currently afford to.
                  You only have to replace the canister if the vest goes off. A $20 item.

                  You can buy a vest that is not an air vest for quite a bit less than your quoted numbers. If you are interested in a vest and the safety of a vest that would probably be a good place to start.

                  Comment


                    #49
                    I do the A/O jumpers and I wear a vest when I jump. For home I have a Tipperary and for shows I have a Dada airvest. I like the Dada because the airvest zips into an outer show coat or vest. I have the Carthago vest and two Catapulte show coats - one blue and one black. The way they're designed, they really aren't bulky at all, and unless you're right up next to me you can't tell it's anything other than a regular technical fabric show coat. There are various outer coats, jackets and vests from Dada that the airvest can zip into. The cartridges are about $30.

                    Comment


                      #50
                      So I commented on this 10 years ago but my opinion has drastically changed since then. Any plus sized vests on the market?
                      Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                      My equine soulmate
                      Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

                      Comment


                        #51
                        Originally posted by skipollo View Post

                        I have a Charles Owen JL9 vest that I'm really happy with. It's a gel/foam combination. It's fitted so it's more flattering as far as vests go. You'll get warm underneath it but it's not unbearable. I've evented with it when it's 95 degrees out and humid and I was fine. You can also get custom measurements, like if you're slim but very tall, an off-the-rack small will fit your rib cage width but won't be long enough for your torso. I *think* the custom ones are the same price as the off-the-rack ones, at least they were at Dover when I bought mine in 2013.

                        I've also used the Charles Owen Kontact vest and really liked it as well.

                        I did not like the Airowear vests. I'm 5'2", 125 lbs, A-cup....but they were too snug in the chest region for me, which was wild because it's not like I had much in that area to begin with? They were well made otherwise, just didn't fit me at all.
                        I used the JL9 after fracturing my ribs and it was truly a comfortable vest. I sweat like heck in it, but it also helped make me a stronger rider through the summer while I healed. I had a Hit Air vest that I used over it for jumping. When it came time to show again, which was after I healed up, I still wanted to wear a vest just in case. But I also wanted a lower profile, so I went with the Tipperary competitor. It hurt me in the Eq flat as I did look a little hunchback/postured, but it truly didn't impact my hunter classes. Sure, I spent over $1000 in vests but I was able to keep riding and protect myself while I healed. I've got a friend currently showing in a Hit Air while she recovers and my only concern is that you really need a vest under the hit air for complete protection as a horse can get a hoof in between the vest. I've got another friend who is showing the jumpers in the Horse Pilot vest and I think she's super smart for putting her safety first. It's a really nice vest and is relatively low profile. I love their show coat option! It's quite nice!

                        Comment

                          Original Poster

                          #52
                          So, I'm actually quite pleased that this old thread has come back to life. In the 10 years since I wrote this post, obviously vests are still not super popular at the shows, but I am seeing more and more riders wearing them for schooling and hacking and I think it is a great trend. My now a bit older jumper has maintained his quirky personality and I still always wear a vest when riding him.

                          Comment

                            Original Poster

                            #53
                            Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                            So I commented on this 10 years ago but my opinion has drastically changed since then. Any plus sized vests on the market?
                            I hope that your change of mind did not involve you getting injured. Otherwise always glad when people have open minds! FWIW, I feel like the eventing folks have a lot of good feedback about fit and comfort of different brands.

                            Comment


                              #54
                              Originally posted by dani0303 View Post
                              So I commented on this 10 years ago but my opinion has drastically changed since then. Any plus sized vests on the market?
                              Check out Racesafe. They have a pretty extensive range of sizes and back lengths. I ordered based on the measurements I entered here and got a good fit in my ProVent 3.0 https://racesafe.co.uk/pages/fitting-guide

                              Comment


                                #55
                                I know this thread is old but I always wear my vest jumping. My coat is sized to fit it. Granted it adds 5-10lbs to my profile but I have had way to many near misses to not use it.

                                For those that say it’s too hot, I did this in Florida and Virginia, dry heat has nothing on heat and humidity. Hydrate my friends!

                                Comment


                                  #56
                                  Originally posted by Denali6298 View Post
                                  For those that say it’s too hot, I did this in Florida and Virginia, dry heat has nothing on heat and humidity. Hydrate my friends!
                                  Truth. Honestly, it just doesn't even register that I have it on after a couple minutes. I event in Area 2 so I'm in full xc gear for my stadium round.

                                  Since the original thread is 10 years old, Tipperary redesigned their vest so that it doesn't have that whole stick-puncture structure anymore. I replaced my old Tipperary with the new one a few years ago and it's great.

                                  The big guy: Lincoln

                                  Southern Maryland Equestrian

                                  Comment


                                    #57
                                    Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

                                    You only have to replace the canister if the vest goes off. A $20 item.

                                    You can buy a vest that is not an air vest for quite a bit less than your quoted numbers. If you are interested in a vest and the safety of a vest that would probably be a good place to start.
                                    Glad to know the canisters are not as expensive to replace. I'm interested in the safety of a vest but what appeals to me about the air vest specifically is their ability to inflate and potentially reduce whip lash/trauma to the neck and spinal cord. Most traditional vests that I've seen do not have that capability. While yes, they would probably be helpful if I fell on something or were stepped on, they would not be helpful in the event of a neck injury which to me is the biggest reason to get a vest in the first place.

                                    Comment


                                      #58
                                      I am old enough to remember that when I moved from the lesson mill mill barn to the show barn, I got told to ditch the harness helmet for a hunt cap. Then, in 1984, we all had to wear harness helmets again. Looking back, those helmet were laughable.

                                      The better-protecting helmets showed up in the 90s, but pretty much no one on the circuit (other than Addison Phillips, who won plenty with it) wore one. Then one of Joe Dotoli's students was killed in an accident and he did the hard work to challenge the helmet manufacturers to come up with helmets that fit different heads, were comfortable and looked good. We've been wearing then for what, 15-20 years now?

                                      What we need is the same challenge to vest manufacturers. The motorcycle people have this down, with shirts you can zip on and off and that fit under your ballistic gear. They are much more subtle than our vests and are made with vented fabric. My husband has both the undervest and a spine protector, and I'm envious of his gear. It's a huge deal in motorcycles for obvious reasons, but why can't someone translate that technology?
                                      Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

                                      Comment


                                        #59
                                        Originally posted by Duckz View Post

                                        Truth. Honestly, it just doesn't even register that I have it on after a couple minutes. I event in Area 2 so I'm in full xc gear for my stadium round.

                                        Since the original thread is 10 years old, Tipperary redesigned their vest so that it doesn't have that whole stick-puncture structure anymore. I replaced my old Tipperary with the new one a few years ago and it's great.
                                        Let’s be honest, no one does it because famous people don’t do it and it’s ugly. I wish people would own up to that.

                                        Anyway.....

                                        Comment


                                          #60
                                          Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post

                                          I hope that your change of mind did not involve you getting injured. Otherwise always glad when people have open minds! FWIW, I feel like the eventing folks have a lot of good feedback about fit and comfort of different brands.
                                          Thankfully no major injuries but my priorities between ages 22 and 32 have changed significantly
                                          Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                          My equine soulmate
                                          Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X