• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

McLain Ward and FEI: UPDATE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McLain Ward and FEI: UPDATE

http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=6433
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

What a mess.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

Mess is when your dog poops in your bed because you gave it fried chicken thinking it was going to be okay. Mess is what you get after you eat at that questionable but fun Mexican joint in the shopping center across from your neighborhood where the cervezas are $1.50 on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with any order of the nacho platter. Mess is that corner of your garage where you know there are mice nesting but you're too lazy to clear it out and you are afraid of mice so you really don't care enough to do it even if you weren't lazy. This is more like a spat between Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. Crazy, slightly entertaining, and very ridiculous.
      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

• Original Poster

Is this not a mess because it happened to this particular rider?
        Or because it happened to a show jumper rider and they are all walking the fine line all the time between legal/illegal?

Or is this not a mess because this does not seem to affect horse sport in the U.S?

To me, the idea that certain elements in international horse sport feel they can DQ a rider on purely subjective grounds with no possibility of appeal --this IS a mess.

And a bigger mess than any of the examples above unless the nachos got fed to a wooly mammoth.
        <g>
        one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

Comment

We have already examined this "mess" not too long ago to the tune of 20 pages or so.

It has run it's course and disappeared along with last night's nachos...although I am sure it will come up (so to speak keeping to this metaphor) when the FEI gets off the pot here and makes a ruling. Either way, nobody will like whatever that may be.
          When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

It is a mess... now, test results come back...and forever we'll have anxiety about the FEI officials . No matter what, I will be anxious that officials will be capricious in decisions which really matter. It was done out of the US to an endearing horse. It's a mess because no matter what... it's politics. It's sad. it's sickening. So yes this thread subject has been beat to death and when the drug results come out it'll take another round of hits.
            I for one will never feel comfortable nor trust the FEI and their decisions when it comes to US horses.

Comment

I do appreciate that the article stated the officials were acting on a tip. That is the first time I remember that being mentioned. I did NOT follow the COTH thread, so if was said there, I missed it. It will be interesting to see what comes of the final ruling.
              Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Platinum Equestrian View Post
                I do appreciate that the article stated the officials were acting on a tip. That is the first time I remember that being mentioned. I did NOT follow the COTH thread, so if was said there, I missed it.

Yeah, you did. It was mentioned in the original news item linked to along with other articals and their links and discussed ad nauseum throughout the trainwreck. Alomg with the fact the horse that won was...ummmm...very obviously a "little off" but nobody dropped a dime.
                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

LexinVA, you are so very wrong. This type of call on the part of the INTERNATIONAL governing body for equestrian sport makes it impossible to compete with any sense of security or fairness. This isn't the first time the FEI has made decisions clearly favoring a country or person (dressage judging, anyone?), and it has got to stop! Contrary to what they believe, they are NOT god, nor are they operating with all countries on a level playing field, as they espouse. I hope McLain and the USEF fight this to the end, and if it happens again, to whomever, that they also choose to fight, until this corrupt organization is forced to restructure and re-evaluate its role in international competition. It is NOT a "mess" to be blown off, even though it doesn't directly involve you. Trust me, someday it will, as there is a clear trickle down history with the FEI.

Also, we only have the FEI's "word" that there was a tip. Not inclined to take their "word" on anything.
                  Laurie

Comment

Originally posted by findeight View Post
                    Yeah, you did. It was mentioned in the original news item linked to along with other articals and their links and discussed ad nauseum throughout the trainwreck. Alomg with the fact the horse that won was...ummmm...very obviously a "little off" but nobody dropped a dime.
                    I'm confused... Yeah, I did what??? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Please explain.

Comment

I'm confused... Yeah, I did what??? I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Please explain.
                      You drank the OJ from the jug. Fess up!
                      Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

The FEI is a disgrace and has been for some time. I hope Mclain has a very good lawyer.
                        Roseknoll Sporthorses
                        www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Originally posted by LexInVA View Post
                          You drank the OJ from the jug. Fess up!
                          English please? Again, what did I do.

Comment

English please? Again, what did I do.
                            You missed it in the original thread.
                            Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                            Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                            Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                            Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Originally posted by Grataan View Post
                              You missed it in the original thread.
                              Grataan Thanks. I don't think that's exactly what they were trying to say, but I like your translation. I think they need to read a little closer in my original post when I said I didn't follow it on COTH.

findeight I think you forgot to take your lithium this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                                Also, we only have the FEI's "word" that there was a tip. Not inclined to take their "word" on anything.
                                I'm inclined to believe there was a tip if for no other reason than how/when the FEI dropped that little bomb made them appear possibly more ridiculous than before (no small feat). I am desperately clinging to the idea that they are not so stupid that they thought that would improve their position in the ensuing Press Wars, just that they were stupid and oops, let it slip.

I didn't realize until this latest development that the FEI samples were pulled 30 hours later. See, now that is FEI incompetence working FOR the FEI. If the samples are clean, the FEI can claim that the substance cleared the system and after 30 hours they may not be incorrect. Pity the US pulled samples immediately.
                                Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

So why the delay in releasing the test results? Is this their way of saying, "We are the Almighty, Omnipotent FEI and we will do whatever we want, whenever we want, in whichever manner we choose. Challenge us at your own risk"?

Comment

Originally posted by Mara View Post
                                    So why the delay in releasing the test results? Is this their way of saying, "We are the Almighty, Omnipotent FEI and we will do whatever we want, whenever we want, in whichever manner we choose. Challenge us at your own risk"?
                                    There is a delay b/c the FEI realizes there is a whole lot of exposure on this ruling. This was an anti american act by foreigners who did not want to see McClain Ward win the World Cup Finals...no ifs ands or buts. He was robbed! If the FEI pulls this crap again the USEF should boycott the World Cup in the future.

Comment

McLain won the GP in La Baule today - on Sapphire -

where's the Pfuiiiit to the FEI icon?
                                      "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Comment

After the first few pages, I stopped reading the train wreck, and I only read the NYT article after it was mentioned in this thread -- I think the situation is terribly unfair, but the rule says the decision made at the competition is final, so I don't expect any attempt to make the situation right --

I did find it interesting that USEF lawyers are working McLain's case -- I wonder if they were ever asked to review the FEI rule changes before they were approved -- I believe the US was in favor of these changes when they were voted on last year -- When I read the rule used to disqualify Saphire, I had to wonder who let that wording slip in --
                                        "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

Comment

Working...
                                        X